HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why Hate Scott Stevens?

Closed Thread

Old
05-20-2005, 09:38 AM
Steve L*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God
BTW, I can't help but notice that you totally ignored JMac's point that Steven's peers don't considered him a dirty player and is highly respected by them too.
I havent seen many players come out and say Domi, Tucker, Bertuzzi etc are dirty players, its doesnt mean its so, it just means hockey players wont criticise fellow pros.

Old
05-20-2005, 09:43 AM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe1-Lou2
Are you talking about the incident Hawthorne spun out, restarted his car but was deemed to start it in opposite direction and was not given the points to win the championship. Moss came to his defense and Hawthorne was awarded the points and won the championship. Little different than your version huh!! By the way his losing the championship had more to do with scoring for championship since Moss won 4 races to Hawthorne's 1.

But I guess the way you rewrite events should only add to your credibility on Stevens.
No if thats true then it proves my point even more about sportsmanship.

Its a shame you cant tel the difference between remembering what happened a couple of years ago and something that happened before most peoples lifetime.

Old
05-20-2005, 09:59 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
I havent seen many players come out and say Domi, Tucker, Bertuzzi etc are dirty players, its doesnt mean its so, it just means hockey players wont criticise fellow pros.
Funny how you group Stevens, who has NEVER been suspended for dirty play with three guys who have.

And whenever Stevens was accused of such tactics by overzelous media and fans the players always would defend Stevens saying he was a clean player but I don't recall ever seeing that for the three angels that you mentioned, espicially Tucker and Domi.

BTW, here is a great article from a website dedicated to the rules of the game.

http://www.afterthewhistle.com/hockeybook/charging.htm

Quote:
The next time you see a big hitter like Scott Stevens lining up a player who is cutting across the ice, watch how he hits this person. Sure he skates towards the player but nearly 99% of the time during the last metre before he hits an opponent he is gliding into him and then at the last moment he will give an extra push off his back leg to make sure that he isnít the one sent flying. Scott Stevens is one of the best big hitters in NHL history, but he is not a dirty hitter. He uses his shoulder and he hits within the rules of hockey, making sure to position himself properly at the moment of impact.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

05-20-2005, 10:07 AM
Taylor21
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
No if thats true then it proves my point even more about sportsmanship. .

You are very confused. Your whole point is Stevens violent hit showed lack of sportsmanship. Your poor and erroneous example from Formula 1 was sportsmanship regarding supposed rule violation. Show me where Stevens saw a rule being misapplied and failed to do anything about it.

Quote:
Its a shame you cant tel the difference between remembering what happened a couple of years ago and something that happened before most peoples lifetime.
You are the one who used the example that never happened. I can take a whole bunch of examples rewrite the events to try and prove a point but that only discredits me. So great this Moss guy showed great sportmanship. But it fails miserable to be applicable to hockey and Stevens and also you used it to insult another poster because your arguments are weak and show you do not have a full understanding of hockey.

Old
05-20-2005, 12:28 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
So its ok to take slapshots at players heads because it will help the team win, after all it isnt against the rules, right?

Oh wait, I seem to remember both the Devils and their fans whining about a dump in that hit Stevens.
There were only a few people whining about it, some very vehemently (nothing compared to some of the whining I read in the last playoffs though). Though I'm not a Stevens fan, it should be pointed out that he himself never said it was anything besides an accident, and he and Kubina had a nice sportsmanlike chat in the handshake line at the end of the series. Brodeur was the one who was flapping his gums about it, as if Kubina could have hit the broadside of a fricken' barn that year, let alone hit something as small as someone's head.

Old
05-20-2005, 12:49 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
I have, plenty of players have come out and said Bertuzzi and Tucker are dirty. Domi....I don't think many care about him. The difference here is players usually don't come out and say nice things about this players, whenever someone talks about Stevens it is usually only good things.

Old
05-20-2005, 05:02 PM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe1-Lou2
You are very confused. Your whole point is Stevens violent hit showed lack of sportsmanship. Your poor and erroneous example from Formula 1 was sportsmanship regarding supposed rule violation. Show me where Stevens saw a rule being misapplied and failed to do anything about it.

You are the one who used the example that never happened. I can take a whole bunch of examples rewrite the events to try and prove a point but that only discredits me. So great this Moss guy showed great sportmanship. But it fails miserable to be applicable to hockey and Stevens and also you used it to insult another poster because your arguments are weak and show you do not have a full understanding of hockey.
No, my example was of a great man who thought sportsmanship was more important than winning. Unfortunately thats not the attutide shown by players who are wlling to injure opponents to improve their chances of winning.

Its no fluke that just about all Stevens concussive hits come in the playoffs, that because thats when his team will benefit from them.

Was it really neccessary to put Willis' career in jeapordy with a 2 goal lead and less than 12 seconds left?

Stevens is a headhunter and doesnt have an once of sportsmanship in him.

Old
05-20-2005, 06:29 PM
Taylor21
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
No, my example was of a great man who thought sportsmanship was more important than winning. Unfortunately thats not the attutide shown by players who are wlling to injure opponents to improve their chances of winning.

Its no fluke that just about all Stevens concussive hits come in the playoffs, that because thats when his team will benefit from them.

Was it really neccessary to put Willis' career in jeapordy with a 2 goal lead and less than 12 seconds left?

You do make me laugh. I usually have to go to the political forum for my laughs. Hey if it makes you feel better I will call Stevens a headhunter. He is player I would bet 100% of NHLers would want on their team and 100% would not want to be on the ice agaisnt him. He is player who has all the players respect. The players say Stevens plays the game like it is meant to played. Since you have problems with that I would suggest you learn how contact sports are played or switch to a sport with sportsmanship you can stomach like golf.

Old
05-20-2005, 06:38 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:

Was it neccessary for Willis to have his head down going down center ice? If you can't take the hits then don't play the game. Change sports if you don't like it. I hear golf has a few openings and almost everyone has sportsmanship who don't head hunt.

Old
05-20-2005, 07:27 PM
mr gib

you'd think after stevens wacked the first guy the other's would have read the scouting report -
poor eric - you could see it coming a mile away - steven's even let up - and his head and shoulder's were really low -

Closed Thread