HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why Hate Scott Stevens?

Closed Thread

Old
05-12-2005, 07:38 PM
sunb

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Sather
In Stevens' defense, he was interviewed and admitted his history of putting players out with concussions affected his play in the regular season. He said something to the effect of "If it's the regular season, and I see in a guy in a vulnerable position, do I hold up a little bit? Yeah. But in the postseason? All bets are off."

And I'm a Rangers fan, but I agree 100%.
Why? Because they never make the playoffs?

Old
05-12-2005, 07:43 PM
sunb

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
I saw Scott's name coming up quite a bit in the players that you hate thread. I couldnt figure it out, why would anyone hate a Defenceman who is Rock Solid in his own end, Has Offensive ability and Hits like a ton of bricks.
Scott Stevens is one of the best defenseman in the world and I think he is an absolute star by anyone's definition. I respect his play but it doesn't necessarily mean I have to like him.

Quote:
I dont want to hear answers from people who only hate him because he laid one of those Beauty hits on a favorite from your team. One guy in that other thread was even complaining because he Hits guys to hurt them when they have their heads down. I see no problem with this because I thin k the good majority of Stevens hits are clean they arent cheap shots. At the NHL level when you catch someone with their head down and hit to hurt but hit clean, that is part of the business.
I think the hit on Eric Lindros was a bit coldhearted. The entire hockey world knew of Lindros' concussion history and mental health and guys like Stevens know better than anyone. He knew that his next hit could potentially end Lindros' career and perhaps even handicapp him for life. I know its the playoffs but Stevens could have hit him in so many different ways. Why aim for the head? Thats intent to injure and he didn't have to do that.

Old
05-12-2005, 07:57 PM
Matty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionHockey
1. I'm speaking from personal experience, I have no idea what goes on in other players heads.
2. Neither do you. How would you know that a player keeps in mind that player X has a back injury and hits them from behind?
Well, you could start with Steven's own admission that during the regular season he holds up but during the post season 'all bets are off'. If he holds off hitting a player in a vulnerable position during the regular season, then obviously he is capable (and does) think at the time 'better not make this hit...' or 'better make this hit but not as hard as I could make it...'

Old
05-12-2005, 08:22 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Strummer
wth do you think is going to happen when an all world defensive defensemen weighing in about 215-220 pounds hits like he usually does against one of if not the smallest forwards in the league in Paul Kariya ... the munchkin loses 10 times out of 10
again its about crossing the line...The players he has injured have been of varying sizes so Paul Kariya's size doesn't really come into play in the argument...

Old
05-12-2005, 08:25 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Joe
Agreed. People who hate Stevens hate real hockey.
real hockey players try to put opposing players in the hospital?

I like physical hockey but come on...

Old
05-12-2005, 08:32 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanovski = Norris
I think the hit on Eric Lindros was a bit coldhearted. The entire hockey world knew of Lindros' concussion history and mental health and guys like Stevens know better than anyone. He knew that his next hit could potentially end Lindros' career and perhaps even handicapp him for life. I know its the playoffs but Stevens could have hit him in so many different ways. Why aim for the head? Thats intent to injure and he didn't have to do that.
How hard is it to aim 6-12 inches lower and miss the head but still monster the guy enough to leave him dazed but not so injured he's out with PCS?

Old
05-12-2005, 08:34 PM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
I respect him but some of his hits are maybe not clean but he's still one of the best defensemans to play the game.

Old
05-12-2005, 08:38 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

4 words

Keep Your Head Up

Old
05-12-2005, 08:40 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19
real hockey players try to put opposing players in the hospital?

I like physical hockey but come on...
It's a tough game and it's an accepted risk. Stevens does nothing illegal with regard to those hits. If the NHL doesn't like it, change the rules.

Old
05-12-2005, 08:43 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
I don't really care what people think about Stevens, he hits hard and legal. If he lets up then his intimination isn't where it is now making him a worse player, if you let up then you are playing the game the way it should be. Most people are mad because one of their players were victoms.....it is their own damn fault they got hit by Stevens in the first place...KEEP THE HEAD UP.

Old
05-12-2005, 08:45 PM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
Quote:
Keep Your Head Up
That's the first thing I think about when I hear Stevens name.

Old
05-12-2005, 08:48 PM
RoyIsALegend*

I love the way Scott Stevens hits.

If it's within the rules of the game, then by all means give the other player a concussion and put him out for his career.

I would think the same people that hate Scott Stevens also hated Steve Moore's clean hit on Markus Naslund.

Old
05-12-2005, 09:41 PM
JimEIV

I grew up admiring Mike Singletary, Lawrence Taylor, Jack Lambert, Jack Youngblood....Their viscous hits were pure skill with controlled aggression.

Their techniques were taught to us as kids and when I played I stayed awake at night thinking of the opportunity to hit someone so hard snot would fly out of their nose and they would loose their mouth piece, maybe even pop their helmet off.

I would lye awake thinking of how the opportunity was going to come, what would be the exact situation. And when it came you took the opportunity, and you delivered as hard as you could.

And on Monday during the film session, the coach would still frame the hit, show the team the exact technique of shedding the block and delivering the devastating blow. In front of the entire team a sticker of a star was handed out to be put on my helmet for each hit, each stop, and each sack. And when the stars covered the entire helmet by the 4th game of the season you can feel the respect from the opposing team and you can feel the fear from the smaller skilled players.

I like Stevens

Old
05-12-2005, 09:57 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
To quote Pierre McGuire (which I know will already start me off on the wrong foot with some people ), is he supposed to get 2 minutes for being too strong? If the hits were cheap or illegal, he'd get penalized or suspended. I'm a fan of both Lindros and Kariya, but if you have a concussion history you have two choices: Play the game and try to avoid Stevens or don't suit up.

Old
05-12-2005, 09:59 PM
mr gib

take him on my team

Old
05-12-2005, 10:07 PM
RorschachWJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Joe
Agreed. People who hate Stevens hate real hockey.
Well then, I guess we have widely differing ideas about what is real hockey.

Old
05-12-2005, 10:19 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
I saw Scott's name coming up quite a bit in the players that you hate thread. I couldnt figure it out, why would anyone hate a Defenceman who is Rock Solid in his own end, Has Offensive ability and Hits like a ton of bricks.

I dont want to hear answers from people who only hate him because he laid one of those Beauty hits on a favorite from your team. One guy in that other thread was even complaining because he Hits guys to hurt them when they have their heads down. I see no problem with this because I thin k the good majority of Stevens hits are clean they arent cheap shots. At the NHL level when you catch someone with their head down and hit to hurt but hit clean, that is part of the business.

I listed Todd Beruzzi on my list because I think he picks his spots and by that I mean he doesnt fight enough for a guy whoo dishes out so much punishment. A young Stevens fought quite a bit and the older one dropped em as much or more than Bertuzzi.

I have no problem with Bertuzzi's big hits and as a Blues fan If i hated him just for making big hits on our players I would have reason he put two of our best D-men on the shelf. But Jackman and MacInnis should have been more aware of him.
But then again C-carp, you appreciate the game, and the elite skill of a very physical player who has been a consistent force for his 20+ seasons, on his way to the Hockey HOF. Petty fans who brand Stevens "a cheapshot artist" should truly get a copy of Hockey for Dummies 101 and learn the game.

Every fan is entitled to let their emotions rule their mind and "hate" an opposing player who inflicts punishment and loss upon his hometeam; it's natural. But mis-characterizing one of the game's true warriors/leaders, greatest bodycheckers, all-around dmen (outstanding offensive skills back in the day) and physical marvels (you throw your body around for two decades and miss as few games as the NJD captain) is, sorry, assinine.

A great player who has played it very violent and very clean for longer than some here have been on earth. That is what makes him so unique.

Shouldn't hit a guy with his head down? Tell that to a hockey coach...any hockey coach. Odd, one rarely, if ever, hears players or coaches (even homer announcers) complaining about Stevens' violent and clean hits, nor his "victims". Just a few misguided fans. This ain't broomball, you know?

Just wish some of the Stevens critics had been around to witness an authentically chippy/dirty player like Bobby Clarke back in the day! The reaction would have been priceless, no doubt.

Last edited by Trottier: 05-12-2005 at 10:48 PM.
Old
05-12-2005, 10:32 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
I would think the same people that hate Scott Stevens also hated Steve Moore's clean hit on Markus Naslund.
That's my thought too. I was hoping to see Vlad weight in on this one since he openly lambasts Moore to this day for what he himself admits might be a clean hit.

That's the two sides of the spectrum on this issue. Either you don't like Stevens because he hits guys with their heads down--and therefore you believe that ANY hit to the head should be outlawed, OR you think it's clean, therefore it's 'okay'. Personally, I fit moreso in the latter category, but I can fully understand perspective #1 as well.

Old
05-12-2005, 10:34 PM
Form and Substance

Quote:

If it's within the rules of the game, then by all means give the other player a concussion and put him out for his career.
heinh? am i missing something here? for goodness sakes I like stevens as a player but heinh?

Old
05-12-2005, 10:42 PM
Everest

Quote:
Keep Your Head Up
Exactly...Stevens doesn't want to end peoples careers. He is honest,painfully honest.
Its the golden rule..."Keep your head up"...and by the time a player gets to the NHL...he should have this rule engrained into his game.
Stevens is not a cheapshot artist...he is a checking artist...and its almost a lost art. Few players have the bravery and intensity to execute these "big boy hits"...and notice the list of Stevens victims includes many of the bigger stronger guys in the game.
Lindros has only himself to blame...he played NHL hockey thinking he could not get knocked down...he played with his head down and took the open ice for granted....as did Kariya...bad mistake when Sargeant Slaughter is on the ice.
What a shame that a technically sound defenceman who exemplified vintage old school hockey gets disrespected by some people...Stevens is a legendary defenceman of the NHL...and many of the all time greats had a few hits they should have not followed through on...but the ratio of good to bad honest to dangerous in steeply in the favor of Stevens...a testament to just how reliable and legitimate of a player he was/is
His concussions are a sad consequence to playing the worlds fastest game...I've seen got nothing but respect for him...a true warrior.

Old
05-12-2005, 10:43 PM
sunb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
But then again C-carp, you appreciate the game, and the elite skill of a very physical player who has been a consistent force for his 20+ seasons, on his way to the Hockey HOF. Petty fans who brand Stevens "a cheapshot artist" should truly get a copy of Hockey for Dummies 101 and learn the game.

Every fan is entitled to let their emotions rule their mind and "hate" an opposing player who inflicts punishment and loss upon his hometeam; it's natural. But mis-characterizing one of the game's true warriors/leaders, greatest bodycheckers, all-around dmen (outstanding offensive skills back in the day) and physical marvels (you throw your body around for two decades and miss as few games as the NJD captain) is, sorry, assinine.

Shouldn't hit a guy with his head down? Tell that to a hockey coach...any hockey coach. Odd, one rarely, if ever, hears players or coaches complaining about Stevens' violent and clean hits, even his "victims". Just some misguided fans.
I don't think many people believe Stevens is a cheapshot but context cannot be ignored.

I think almost all of Stevens' hits are clean and acceptable but the Lindros' hit was absolutely merciless, if not a bit malevolent.

I don't have that much of a problem with the Kariya hit but the Lindros hit was questionable.

Context is key and I don't think there would be that many players out there who would aim to hit someone's head when they've already had five concussions (one just three months prior to the hit). The last one could've potentially ended Eric Lindros' career and handicapped him for life.

Quote:

Completely different hits.

Moore and Stevens are completely different players and their hits are completely divergent too. I am not going to argue about how Stevens will fight his own fights but the hit itself is entirely different.

Lindros had the puck and Stevens aimed for the puck-carrier. That is alright by hockey standards.
When Moore went to hit Naslund, the puck was no where near Naslund. Instead of going for the puck (Moore was closer to the puck btw) targetted Naslund's hit. Legal but dirty hit.

I think Moore's hit was much more dirtier than Stevens' hits. None of Stevens' hits are actually dirty but I just find the fact that he would still aim for Lindros' head a bit reckless.

Last edited by sunb: 05-12-2005 at 10:49 PM.
Old
05-12-2005, 11:01 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Completely different hits.

Moore and Stevens are completely different players and their hits are completely divergent too. I am not going to argue about how Stevens will fight his own fights but the hit itself is entirely different.

Lindros had the puck and Stevens aimed for the puck-carrier. That is alright by hockey standards.
When Moore went to hit Naslund, the puck was no where near Naslund. Instead of going for the puck (Moore was closer to the puck btw) targetted Naslund's hit. Legal but dirty hit.

I think Moore's hit was much more dirtier than Stevens' hits. None of Stevens' hits are actually dirty but I just find the fact that he would still aim for Lindros' head a bit reckless.
See that's where I see your opinion coming off a bit hypocritical. They're both hits to the head. Even though they are both clean (in terms of mechanics that is; you can debate posession of the puck all you want, and that's fine, but they're disputed mainly because they're to the head), people think they're dirty because of how the hit is applied.

Old
05-12-2005, 11:08 PM
sunb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane
See that's where I see your opinion coming off a bit hypocritical. They're both hits to the head. Even though they are both clean (in terms of mechanics that is; you can debate posession of the puck all you want, and that's fine, but they're disputed mainly because they're to the head), people think they're dirty because of how the hit is applied.
I think hits to the head are fine if it is necessary.
And necessity is deemed by whether or not the opposing player poses as a scoring threat.
And that in turn pretty much necessitates the forward having possession of the puck (or at least being closer to the puck than you are).

Stevens at least hits players who have possesion of the puck and hitting the puck-carrier is an acceptable thing to do (even demanded by some coaches).

Moore on the other hand, decided to aim for Naslund's head when Naslund did not have possesion of the puck (Moore himself was closer to the puck). A legal but dirty hit. I don't think hitting the head is what makes the hit dirty but rather Moore's intentions.

Old
05-12-2005, 11:30 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
I don't think hitting the head is what makes the hit dirty but rather Moore's intentions.
How can you possibly know his intentions?

Old
05-12-2005, 11:32 PM
BwayBshirt

in addition to "keep the head up" when facing stevens, you could have teammates go after him in a clean way if/when he plasters somebody. usually his hits (or at least his highlight reel hits) are of players who won't attempt to hit him back.

i know if i was a teammate of lindros or kariya, and i saw the way he nailed them, i would instantly think of ways i could catch him in a position where he has the puck, and then i'd give him a taste of his own medicine...legally of course

Closed Thread