HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why Hate Scott Stevens?

Closed Thread

Old
05-12-2005, 11:37 PM
sunb

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane
How can you possibly know his intentions?
1.) Based on precedence (cheapshot to Martin St. Louis).

2.) The fact that he was closer to the puck but targetted Naslund's head (though Naslund did duck a slight bit before the hit).

3.) The fact that Naslund didn't even have the puck and was not a scoring threat in his position.

4.) It was a highly physical and emotionally intense game.

I don't claim my conjecture is right but what transpired was a dirty and murky hit that gave Naslund a minor concussion.

Old
05-12-2005, 11:37 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

I used to have the hit of Stevens on Lindros, and no matter how much the haters want to deny it, it was shoulder into Lindros, and then he followed through, so it looked like an elbow. If he was the guy that goes after everyones best players, why'd he take out Slava Kozlov in the Detroit series, or Shane Willis, or Daymond Langkow.....words to the wise, if you're skating in the Devils zone, keep your damn head up fools!

Old
05-12-2005, 11:38 PM
sparr0w

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCaptain11
in addition to "keep the head up" when facing stevens, you could have teammates go after him in a clean way if/when he plasters somebody. usually his hits (or at least his highlight reel hits) are of players who won't attempt to hit him back.

i know if i was a teammate of lindros or kariya, and i saw the way he nailed them, i would instantly think of ways i could catch him in a position where he has the puck, and then i'd give him a taste of his own medicine...legally of course
When Stevens plastered Francis and Willis in consecutive games a couple playoffs ago the Canes sent everybody they could think of at him. I think Ozolinsh even fought Stevens IIRC.

Old
05-12-2005, 11:39 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
in addition to "keep the head up" when facing stevens, you could have teammates go after him in a clean way if/when he plasters somebody. usually his hits (or at least his highlight reel hits) are of players who won't attempt to hit him back.

i know if i was a teammate of lindros or kariya, and i saw the way he nailed them, i would instantly think of ways i could catch him in a position where he has the puck, and then i'd give him a taste of his own medicine...legally of course
Wait just a damn minute....are you telling me Lindros wouldn't hit Stevens, or Langkow wouldn't hit Stevens, or Keith Primeau, or Tie Domi......you've gotta be kidding.

The worst are the ones who were happy to see Stevens get PCS and be out that long.

Old
05-12-2005, 11:40 PM
sunb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic
Wait just a damn minute....are you telling me Lindros wouldn't hit Stevens, or Langkow wouldn't hit Stevens, or Keith Primeau, or Tie Domi......you've gotta be kidding.

The worst are the ones who were happy to see Stevens get PCS and be out that long.
I think everyone is fair game in the proper situations but I do think someone with five major concussions should be let off a bit lightly.

Old
05-12-2005, 11:41 PM
sparr0w

Quote:
I used to have the hit of Stevens on Lindros, and no matter how much the haters want to deny it, it was shoulder into Lindros, and then he followed through, so it looked like an elbow. If he was the guy that goes after everyones best players, why'd he take out Slava Kozlov in the Detroit series, or Shane Willis, or Daymond Langkow.....words to the wise, if you're skating in the Devils zone, keep your damn head up fools!
Kozlov was actually Detroit's goal-scoring leader (tied) and 3rd in points for the Wings (also tied) that playoff run. But you're right, Stevens is an equal opportunity punisher. The game after he took out the rookie Willis he plastered Ron Francis.

Old
05-12-2005, 11:47 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick
When Stevens plastered Francis and Willis in consecutive games a couple playoffs ago the Canes sent everybody they could think of at him. I think Ozolinsh even fought Stevens IIRC.

now i don't get to see the devils a whole lot, and i certainly didn't get the chance to see that series or that game, and no highlights of stevens getting ran at were shown, so didn't know...but seeing as how that's the case then i applaud carolina for doing that.

Old
05-12-2005, 11:51 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:

when i see stevens deliver a hit, i rarely see or hear about the retaliation on him...i might not be seeing the games where he gets it, and if i don't then please don't hold that against me. i was just implying that if whether it be stevens or blake or anyone etc....if i see someone destroy a teammate of mine, i wouldn't waste a moment to come back with a similar type hit, even if i'm unsucessful in doing so.

Old
05-12-2005, 11:51 PM
sparr0w

Quote:
now i don't get to see the devils a whole lot, and i certainly didn't get the chance to see that series or that game, and no highlights of stevens getting ran at were shown, so didn't know...but seeing as how that's the case then i applaud carolina for doing that.
It wasn't very effective from what I remember. I have vague memories of Stevens laughing/shrugging them off. The Canes managed to win the next to games (4 and 5) but then lost in 6 anyway.

Old
05-12-2005, 11:54 PM
JimEIV

Stevens' hits are 'part of the game'
By George Johnson
Special to ESPN.com

The Bee Gees in the '70s didn't have as many hits as this guy does in the playoffs.

Big hits. Monster hits.

Whether Scott Stevens should be given gold records or a criminal record for them is once again the issue of a highly-charged debate.

"Where's the problem?" asks former Islander captain Denis Potvin, a bit mystified by the controversy. "Scott Stevens hits people with his shoulder. He hits them in open ice. No elbows. No sticks. No knees. A big hit, a clean hit.

"No one has to worry about turning his back on Stevens because he's always there when he hits, right in front of you. He just steps up into the hole and ... delivers."

And how.

The withering shoulder check on Eric Lindros a springtime ago, a grey-matter scrambling, nerve-deadening, career-threatening jolt, entered hockey folklore and very nearly sent the Big E into premature retirement. In the first round of this year's playdowns, Stevens showed no favoritism, levelling 23-year-old rookie Shane Willis and then 37-year-old Hall-of-Fame-candidate Ron Francis in separate games with shuddering body checks.

Poor Francis was left to scuttle about on all fours, out on his knees, waging a losing battle with his equilibrium.

These images, the growing reputation of Scott Stevens as an compassionless instrument of destruction, dominate the 2001 Stanley Cup playoffs. As a storyline, it has managed to eclipse even the L.A. Kings astounding upset of the Detroit Red Wings and the ongoing Mario Lemieux comeback to a Cup campaign.

He's an uncomfortable center of attention. Again.

Next up for Stevens and the defending champion Devils, of course, are the Toronto Maple Leafs, starting Thursday night in Jersey.

And Scott Stevens is already having a profound impact on that series, even though it hasn't even started yet," says former St. Louis tough guy defenseman Bob Plager, now a scout for the Blues. "I can guarantee you in that Toronto room, they're being told 'Don't admire your pass. Don't admire you shot. And whatever you do, don't -- do NOT -- cut across the middle of the ice checking your skate laces.' "

Scott Stevens has gotten into their heads even before they've dropped the puck."

Depending on your point of view, Stevens is either a throwback to a better time in hockey's history or a wrecking machine which must be stopped. There is certainly a portion of the population that recoils at the physical damage being inflicted by the New Jersey Devils' captain. They believe he's allowed to get away with something just short of murder within the allowable confines of the laws of his sport; regard him as a cold-blooded, calculated inflictor of pain.

They view what he does as dangerous (obviously), premeditated (well, sorta) and outright cruel.

"Cruel?" stammers Al MacNeil, renowned as a body checker par excellence during his playing days in Montreal, Chicago and New York during the '50s and '60s. "Hey, these guys don't work in a bank. They're highly paid in their job and part of that job is running the gauntlet and learning to survive. This is professional sports. In any professional sport, there is an intimidation factor involved.

"What Scott Stevens does is completely within the rules. You don't think players are leery cutting across the middle of the ice against the Devils?

"You can call it barbaric if you want, but it's part of the game."

The old-school defensemen, those nurtured in the less politically-correct NHL of the previous three decades, see in Stevens a kindred spirit, someone whose style of play is being singled out because the sport itself has in many respects gone soft. To them, he plays it straight up, hard and uncompromising, but fair.

And they're right. This isn't Stars on Ice. These are the Stanley Cup playoffs.

"The league has done a tremendous job of cleaning up a lot of the dirty stuff from the '50s, '60s and '70s," says Ranger assistant coach Ted Green, once nicknamed "Terrible Teddy," and one of the most physical players ever to don a pair of skates.

"I just hope they don't go too far.

"You'd hate to see them take body contact out entirely but in some ways that's where it seems to be heading.

"Look, everybody agrees on the checking from behind -- that has no place in the game. But they've taken hip-checking out of the neutral ice. That took talent and timing. It was an art. I remember Bobby Baun and Leo Boivin collapsing guys like deck chairs with their hips. But that's gone. History.

"Stevens does his best hitting when a guy's coming across the middle of the ice, from his left to right. It seems crazy, but guys are so lax these days a lot of them don't even realize when Stevens is on the ice. I think that's a product of less and less body checking in the game over the past years. Guys just don't expect it anymore.

"And what bugs me more than anything is that when someone throws a good, clean check, a melee always ensues. In our day, you respected that as a part of the game. Today, no matter what, players react as if the hit was dirty."

MacNeil complains that instead of hitting in the style of Stevens, most players today "automatically get their sticks up around a player's ears" when contact is about to be initiated.

Last year's withering Lindros check, replayed endlessly, has done much to propagate the Stevens reputation. Yet the guy who got hit, in the minds of the old timers, was more to blame than the guy doing the hitting.

"Cripes, here's a guy, Lindros, who hits people a ton," says MacNeil. "If anyone should be wary of skating into a hole where he's vulnerable, with his HEAD DOWN, it's Eric Lindros. He's hit, and hurt, people in that position often enough to know. And yet here he is, skating near the blue line surrounded by New Jersey Devils, thinking nothing could happen? Come on ...

"There's a certain arrogance at work in not believing it could happen to you."

Potvin, meanwhile, outright dismisses the contention of Carolina coach Paul Maurice that old pros such as Francis merit a measure of immunity from belters the savagery of Stevens.

"Stevens doesn't check a guy's age, his salary, his scoring record or his Hall of Fame credentials when he lines him up," he snorts. "He just hits him.

"I remember hitting Jean Ratelle once in Boston. I was just a kid. I caught him real clean, he kind of went 'Ugh!' and went down. One of our guys skated over. 'You just hit ... Jean Ratelle!' And I said: 'Yeah. SO?' "That was odd because usually it's only rookies get hit like that. Like Willis. He learned a lesson that night he'll never forget; one they don't teach you at hockey camp."

A lesson, MacNeil notes, that is mandatory for anyone who wants to make a career of the National Hockey League.

"Gordie Howe got hit his second year in the league and suffered a skull fracture," he reminds you. "You can bet as soon as he got out of the hospital, he made a pact with himself 'I will not allow anyone to hit me that way again.' Well, he lasted 30 years and no one hit him that way again."

Doubtless the Stevens controversy won't go away anytime soon, because it doesn't appear the Devils will. Whatever you may think of him, Scott Stevens gives his team an edge any time he's on the ice.

"He plays tough," says MacNeil in summation. "He plays with intensity. He commands respect. He plays to win. He plays, and hits, within the rules. "Does that make him an ogre?"

MacNeil grunts. "I'd say he plays the game the way it was meant to be played."

Old
05-13-2005, 12:00 AM
sparr0w

Great article.

Old
05-13-2005, 12:10 AM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanovski = Norris
Scott Stevens is one of the best defenseman in the world and I think he is an absolute star by anyone's definition. I respect his play but it doesn't necessarily mean I have to like him.

I think the hit on Eric Lindros was a bit coldhearted. The entire hockey world knew of Lindros' concussion history and mental health and guys like Stevens know better than anyone. He knew that his next hit could potentially end Lindros' career and perhaps even handicapp him for life. I know its the playoffs but Stevens could have hit him in so many different ways. Why aim for the head? Thats intent to injure and he didn't have to do that.
So hes supposed to give him a free pass and let lindros off lightly? By that stage in his career lindros already should have learned dont come across the middle looking down but he hadnt, every time he had been given a concussion he had his head down. As for aiming for the head i dont think he was. had lindros looked up a second sooner stevens catches him in the chest but because lindros was hunched over looking down where else was stevens going to hit him? And as for the people that complain about the shot on kariya i seem to remember kariya not only coming back in the game but scoring a nice goal. I had a bit more respect for him after that hit and coming back. Stevens plays the game hard. IMO i dont believe hes going out there to end a guys career but its a rough sport and sometimes injuries occur. Its part of the game

Old
05-13-2005, 01:55 AM
Johnnybegood13

I think all the Stevens haters will find new flamebait very soon in a guy named Phaneuf

Old
05-13-2005, 06:21 AM
Steve L*

Hes a cheapshot artist who only does big hits on defenceless players. The hits have intent to injure all over them.

I loved the fact that he was out injured with PCS, karma working at its finest. The only thing that could top that is Tucker having to retire from a cheapshot.

Old
05-13-2005, 06:50 AM
Sonny Lamateena

vCash: 50
I have no problem with Stevens, sure alot of hits are vicious but he plays within the rules. Lindros is no saint either, his hits were equally vicious, just ask Andreas Dackell who got his face crushed when he played for the Sens and Lindros for the Flyers, you live by the sword you die by the sword. When you play that physical, especially in todays nhl with bigger, stronger players, serious injurys will happen.

Old
05-13-2005, 07:05 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
I saw Scott's name coming up quite a bit in the players that you hate thread. I couldnt figure it out, why would anyone hate a Defenceman who is Rock Solid in his own end, Has Offensive ability and Hits like a ton of bricks.

I dont want to hear answers from people who only hate him because he laid one of those Beauty hits on a favorite from your team. One guy in that other thread was even complaining because he Hits guys to hurt them when they have their heads down. I see no problem with this because I thin k the good majority of Stevens hits are clean they arent cheap shots. At the NHL level when you catch someone with their head down and hit to hurt but hit clean, that is part of the business.

I listed Todd Beruzzi on my list because I think he picks his spots and by that I mean he doesnt fight enough for a guy whoo dishes out so much punishment. A young Stevens fought quite a bit and the older one dropped em as much or more than Bertuzzi.

I have no problem with Bertuzzi's big hits and as a Blues fan If i hated him just for making big hits on our players I would have reason he put two of our best D-men on the shelf. But Jackman and MacInnis should have been more aware of him.
I am a Flyers fan and I love Stevens always have, is a great player would love to have him on my team anyday. Does what it takes to win and knows how to win.

Old
05-13-2005, 07:22 AM
Prof_it

As a dman growing up, I always enjoyed watching Stevens play. He is a throwback. Open ice hitting is a skill to itself, and very few do it better than Stevens. He anticipates the oncoming play and takes great angles to the puck carrier.

In this day and age of hockey, where coaches micro-analyze every portion of the game, an open ice hit is risky. It leaves the defensive team at a disadvantage, one of the last lines of defense is running, presurring the offensive attack. If that dman misses, there is sure to be an odd man rush. This is one of the reasons that you simply don't see many open ice hits from dmen anymore...the risk of a 2-1 is simply too great.

As a fan, I like to see the players show their emotions on the ice. It's a rare commodity in today's game. Players are over-coached, the x's and o's are one reason the game has so little flow. Stevens plays with emotion...he aggressively reads the play. There are few that can do it well, and even fewer whose coach will let them.

Hockey is a fast, aggressive game...at least it used to be. Players were looking to make plays and change the game as opposed to wait out the other team. Stevens, throughout his career, has done that. He is a difference maker when he's on the ice. It's one of the reasons he'll be a HOF'r.

Old
05-13-2005, 08:15 AM
4check22

Send a message via MSN to 4check22 Send a message via Yahoo to 4check22
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
Just want to say also...just because I dont like Stevens, does not mean I dont think he is one of the best defenseman out there. I respect the way he plays in his zone but just not the way he goes out trying to injure players.
The most ridiculous statement I think I've ever seen on this forum. He goes out looking to injur somebody? I seriously wish some of you people would actually play a contact sport like hockey or football (North American). Whether it is a Tight End coming across the middle or a player skating in looking at the puck -- YOU TAKE HIM OUT HARD. Do you ever think to yourself that this guy might not get up? No. You just know that he is NEVER going to come in your zone again without wondering if somebody is going to paste him. That causes hesitation, and hesitation can cause turnovers.

You think Stevens is dirty? Funny. Somebody look up the amount of elbowing penalties Stevens has had in the past decade. That should shut a lot of people up. For the rest of you who just know ol' Scotty is out to hurt people, put down your PS2 and XBox controllers, pick up a stick and get on the ice. You might actually learn something about the game.

Old
05-13-2005, 08:47 AM
4check22

Quote:
I think everyone is fair game in the proper situations but I do think someone with five major concussions should be let off a bit lightly.
The game before he scored a goal. What do you want these guys to do? Instead of crushing the idiot for having his head down (for those who don't play hockey, this is the equivalent of playing goaltender without a cup), maybe the better response would have been to grab onto Big E. Pahhhlease. This is not women's softball. It is hockey.

Old
05-13-2005, 08:51 AM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
Hes a cheapshot artist who only does big hits on defenceless players. The hits have intent to injure all over them.

I loved the fact that he was out injured with PCS, karma working at its finest. The only thing that could top that is Tucker having to retire from a cheapshot.
That is just silly.

My favorite quote from the article I posted was

"Where's the problem?" asks former Islander captain Denis Potvin, a bit mystified by the controversy. "Scott Stevens hits people with his shoulder. He hits them in open ice. No elbows. No sticks. No knees. A big hit, a clean hit.

"No one has to worry about turning his back on Stevens because he's always there when he hits, right in front of you. He just steps up into the hole and ... delivers."

You may hate the fact that your teams favorite players are afraid to play their regular game and wont dispy-doodle on the ice or even leave safety of their wing when Stevens is on the ice, but it doesn't make his hits cheap.

cheap shot artist are Gary Suter and Bryan Marchment.....To put Stevens in this category is absurd.

1. Have you EVER seen Stevens stick a knee out, even by mistake?

2. Have you EVER seen Stevens hit someone from behind?

3. Have you EVER seen Stevens get his stick up in someones face like much of the NHL does every single time they take a hit?

4. Have you ever seen Stevens throw an elbow (2 elbowing penalties in 20 years)

5. Have you seen Stevens Slash one in the back of legs while defending the crease ?

6. Have you ever seen Stevens leave his feet to deliver a hit?

If you really anaylze it, who are really the cheapshot artist???? When a little skilled player puts his gloves and stick up in a players face when a hit is coming EVERY SINGLE time, No one calls him cheap.

When a guy like Naslund leaves his feet to hit someone along the boards it is quickly forgotten.

WHEN MARIO SLASHS someone because he doesn't like the tight checking he is getting WOULD ANYONE DARE call HIM CHEAP????

I think its interesting that the same people who would call Stevens cheap would excuse players who swing their stick wildly(while wearing visors of course), use their stick to protect themselves from hits, and slash regularly.

Old
05-13-2005, 08:52 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
Just want to say also...just because I dont like Stevens, does not mean I dont think he is one of the best defenseman out there. I respect the way he plays in his zone but just not the way he goes out trying to injure players.
You know he's only had four elbow penalties in his career, if he was trying to just flatout injury people wouldn't he have more? Alot more?

05-13-2005, 08:53 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:

Wow, talk about sour grapes.

Old
05-13-2005, 08:54 AM
4check22

Quote:

I'm sure this astute observation is based on years of playing competitive hockey, eh. Hitting somebody with the body is not "intent to injure." If Lindros was so defenseless, maybe you should blame the Flyers for putting him out there in the first place.

As Tree Laine put it so perfectly after smoking little Stevie Weeks in Mystery Alaska, "Head was down."

Quarterbacks know what happens when they throw high across the middle. Real hockey players know what happens when they skate with their heads down. Defenseless? Maybe. Idiots? Absolutely.

Old
05-13-2005, 10:41 AM
Marconius

Quote:
I don't think many people believe Stevens is a cheapshot but context cannot be ignored.

I think almost all of Stevens' hits are clean and acceptable but the Lindros' hit was absolutely merciless, if not a bit malevolent.
Merciless & malevolent? Sounds like qualities that the NHL demands from it's players. If a player has a chance to take someone out with a clean, hard check and decides to lay off out of mercy, how do you think that goes over with the fans/coach/teamates. Players like that tend to get labelled as soft or not playing tough. The system, as it's set up now, demands that Steven's hits the way he does. Not only do his fans/coaches/teamates require it, but come contract time, what will give Stevens a better salary? If he can say I layed out several players with big, BIG hits last year? Or I had a chance to lay out some players but decided not to?

Quote:

Context is key and I don't think there would be that many players out there who would aim to hit someone's head when they've already had five concussions (one just three months prior to the hit). The last one could've potentially ended Eric Lindros' career and handicapped him for life.
Hockey is a dangerous game, theres no doubt. High risk = high reward though. If an individual player, IE: Lindros, feels that playing the game within the rules willl be dangerous for him, then he should quit. Simple as that. If I'm on the ice and I know that Lindros has signed a new million dollar contract, despite his concussion history, that's his problem. He took the risk stepping on the ice, if he's not worried about his head, why should I be? Wheres Lindro's responsibility in all of this? If there is such a big threat of Lindros being handicapped for life he should man up and quit the game, instead of risking his life for a couple additional million, when he's set for life already.

Old
05-13-2005, 10:42 AM
Marconius

Quote:
Lindros takes the money, he accepts the risk, simple as that

Closed Thread