HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League #5: 2013 Play-offs Edition!: Nucks fire AV, AVs hire Roy

Closed Thread

Old
05-23-2013, 10:43 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
That was clearly a penalty shot.

Letting the players on the ice decide the game is fine but the refs clearly aren't doing that when they allow Detroit to take a hard earned breakaway away from Saad and fail to give it back to him in the form of a penalty shot. In this case the refs actually affected the game more than they would've had they made the proper call.

The frustration from that miscall probably played a part in the crappy power play that followed.
Clearly a penalty shot with 5mins left in a crucial one goal game?!?

It would be a clear travesty to gift the Hawks something like that when they clearly don't deserve it if they can't establish anything in real play.

Decisions like that are why so many non soccer fans hate the game. One team has everything under control, one player dives, next thing you know its a different game. Different outcome.

Respect for letting players decide it. Hawks laid an egg on the PP like they did the whole game. Thats their problem.

No way in a playoff game do I want outcomes decided on bogus penalty shots. The Hawks player wasn't hauled down, it was a slight arm tug to interupt shooting motion. Good play, didn't meet threshold for penalty shot, good non call.

Old
05-23-2013, 10:52 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

It would be a clear travesty to gift the Hawks something like that when they clearly don't deserve it if they can't establish anything in real play.

Decisions like that are why so many non soccer fans hate the game. One team has everything under control, one player dives, next thing you know its a different game. Different outcome. Respect for letting players decide it. Hawks laid an egg on the PP like they did the whole game. Thats their problem.

No way in a playoff game do I want outcomes decided like that. The Hawks player wasn't hauled down, it was a slight arm tug to interupt shooting motion. Good play, didn't meet threshold for penalty shot, good non call.
They established a breakaway in real play and it was taken away from them by a clear penalty. That's the definition of a penalty shot, the time in the game and the score shouldn't make a difference. I could understand that argument if it were a trip in the defensive zone but a penalty on a breakaway HAS to result in a penalty shot. The hook was clear as day.

This is a situation that wasn't decided by the players on the ice. The refs allowed Detroit to take away one of the best scoring chances a team can get, a type of scoring chance that can easily be replicated if the refs simply followed the rule book. Instead, the refs made the wrong call (most people on the main boards agree it was the wrong call as well as the entire TSN panel) and affected the game in favour of Detroit. Shame.

Old
05-23-2013, 10:55 PM
Fuhryous

Quote:
You should watch the game. Wings had incredible scoring chances in the game on the counter as Hawks pressed, got sloppy, and had complete breakdowns.

It was amazing if anything that Wings didn't build on the lead. I would give the edge to the Wings on serious scoring chances.
With my little guy being three and a teething 8 month old, I don't have a lot of early-evening playoff hockey time anymore, at least not this spring . My wife hogs the PVR with all her reality TV garbage so I can't even record the early games. I do try to watch the west coast games as the kids are sawing logs by then...speaking of which, another chess match tonight.

Old
05-23-2013, 11:00 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
They established a breakaway in real play and it was taken away from them by a clear penalty. That's the definition of a penalty shot, the time in the game and the score shouldn't make a difference. I could understand that argument if it were a trip in the defensive zone but a penalty on a breakaway HAS to result in a penalty shot. The hook was clear as day.

This is a situation that wasn't decided by the players on the ice. The refs allowed Detroit to take away one of the best scoring chances a team can get, a type of scoring chance that can easily be replicated if the refs simply followed the rule book. Instead, the refs made the wrong call (most people on the main boards agree it was the wrong call as well as the entire TSN panel) and affected the game in favour of Detroit. Shame.
I like when discretion is actually used. You like letter of the law calling on this one.

But what about the play on Brunner? Would you be calling for a penalty shot on that one if the Hawk missed the puck? I wonder.

Myself I wouldn't want a penalty shot on either. I want real play to decide the outcome in a close playoff game.

Calls are not the same in the playoffs as in regular season. They rarely are. This is not a new thing. You can get upset about but it doesn't change it.

Old
05-23-2013, 11:01 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhryous View Post
With my little guy being three and a teething 8 month old, I don't have a lot of early-evening playoff hockey time anymore, at least not this spring . My wife hogs the PVR with all her reality TV garbage so I can't even record the early games. I do try to watch the west coast games as the kids are sawing logs by then...speaking of which, another chess match tonight.
and heres me saying I wouldn't be watching much playoff hockey getting really into it. lol

The West playoffs have been so good this year. Most exciting its been since 2006.

Old
05-23-2013, 11:18 PM
Toydarian

Bit of a rant here:

WTF is with fans mock chanting opposing goalies names after they let in a single goal?!?!

It just happened in the LAK/SJS game and has happened in numerous other series'.

It makes sense when a goalie lets in a softy or quick goals in succession. But after 1 goal in a 0-0 game...WTF!?!

Just seems really ignorant.

Old
05-23-2013, 11:21 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
Bit of a rant here:

WTF is with fans mock chanting opposing goalies names after they let in a single goal?!?!

It just happened in the LAK/SJS game and has happened in numerous other series'.

It makes sense when a goalie lets in a softy or quick goals in succession. But after 1 goal in a 0-0 game...WTF!?!

Just seems really ignorant.
agreed, but at least the crowd is engaged

Old
05-23-2013, 11:24 PM
Toydarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
agreed, but at least the crowd is engaged
True. To be honest, it's trivial and irrelevant, I just find it equivalent to the yobo yelling "shoot" all game.

Old
05-23-2013, 11:49 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
Quote:
I like when discretion is actually used. You like letter of the law calling on this one.

But what about the play on Brunner? Would you be calling for a penalty shot on that one if the Hawk missed the puck? I wonder.

Myself I wouldn't want a penalty shot on either. I want real play to decide the outcome in a close playoff game.

Calls are not the same in the playoffs as in regular season. They rarely are. This is not a new thing. You can get upset about but it doesn't change it.
I only caught pieces of the game so I missed the Brunner play unfortunately.

I'm definitely aware that the reffing changes in the playoffs. I just think that the most severe and blatant penalties, like a hook on a breakaway, should be called even in the last five minutes of a one goal playoff game.

The referee did recognized that it was a penalty and call it, I just don't get why it wasn't a penalty shot. Was Saad not on a breakaway?

Old
05-23-2013, 11:52 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

New Dallas Stars logo?

Old
05-24-2013, 12:00 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
New Dallas Stars logo?

Interesting.

I mean, people do always call Dallas "big D"

Old
05-24-2013, 12:01 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

That's terribad.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
05-24-2013, 12:08 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

It looks more like a shoulder patch than a primary logo.

Old
05-24-2013, 12:21 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Welp, called that one.

Old
05-24-2013, 12:22 AM
Fuhryous

Quote:
and heres me saying I wouldn't be watching much playoff hockey getting really into it. lol

The West playoffs have been so good this year. Most exciting its been since 2006.
I'm one of those Oilers fans that absolutely despises everything that the Canucks are and represent so after watching them get dispatched these past two springs in such quick fashion left me wondering "Now what do I do?". I've always been a closet Sharks fan though. When I was 12 or 13, I got both of their replica jerseys from their inaugural season...one is lettered with #17 Pat Falloon-haha. Needless to say, I've been rooting for them this season and watching them the most. L.A. just beat them 3-0 to go up 3-2. The home team is 5-0 in that series so far.

Old
05-24-2013, 02:00 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhryous View Post
Jimmy Howard is my guess. I didn't see much of the game, but it looks like he stood on his head again tonight. He's been earning every dollar of that big extension so far this postseason.
Shots were 28-27 CHI. Those rookies are doing work. Howard definitely gets most of the credit as well. But it wouldn't even be close without those youngsters playing the way they do.

Old
05-24-2013, 02:55 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Shots were 28-27 CHI. Those rookies are doing work. Howard definitely gets most of the credit as well. But it wouldn't even be close without those youngsters playing the way they do.
It also helps that Zetterberg has gone into shut-down mode. Every night up against Toews, and every night Toews comes up short.

Unless the figure out a way to "free Toews" I don't see them coming back in this series.

Old
05-24-2013, 03:00 AM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
This isn't really accurate. Teams back then could dismantle you along the way as well. The series against the Flames were often tough. There were punching bags but there are now. Just that postcap its harder to differentiate the cream from the milk. That I think is the biggest story.

Kings are the most complete team I've ever seen postcap. jmo
There aren't any punching bags in the playoffs anymore. Two 8 seeds have reached the final in the last 7 years, one winning the Cup. There's not really any series where there isn't at least some reasonable chance that the underdog can win. Back in 1985 there wasn't the slightest chance in hell that the lowest playoff seed was going to reach the final, and it was considered shocking if they even won a round. Sure the Kings winning last year was a surprise, but could you imagine the Leafs or the Whalers winning a Cup in the 80's? You can't.

Post-cap has meant that there is almost nothing separating the 16 playoff teams. It's not uncommon to see 9 or 10 different teams mentioned as a possible finalist at the start of the playoffs. 12 different teams have taken up the 14 available finals positions since the cap. During the span of the Oilers dynasty, only five different teams made the final. The only real threat to the Oilers was Calgary, the other two series were a formality until the final. First round opponents like the 1986 Vancouver Canucks and sub-.500 semi-finalists such as the 1987 Red Wings simply don't exist anymore.

Old
05-24-2013, 03:01 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
It also helps that Zetterberg has gone into shut-down mode. Every night up against Toews, and every night Toews comes up short.

Unless the figure out a way to "free Toews" I don't see them coming back in this series.
Tonight they tried to mix it up by putting Toews+Kane together, while Hossa+Sharp played together.

Datsyuk took the Hossa/Sharp/Handzus line, while Toews/Kane/Saad was taken by Zetterberg.

Both excelled and effectively shut those lines down.

Old
05-24-2013, 04:24 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Tonight they tried to mix it up by putting Toews+Kane together, while Hossa+Sharp played together.

Datsyuk took the Hossa/Sharp/Handzus line, while Toews/Kane/Saad was taken by Zetterberg.

Both excelled and effectively shut those lines down.
This is Zetterberg and Datsyuk are two of my all time favorite players. They are "difference makers", if not on the scoring sheet then by shutting down the opponents top players.

I wouldn't say that the series is over though. Chicago still has a great team and it is still very possible that they manage to work themselves around Z, Dats and Howard.

Old
05-24-2013, 08:31 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:

Decisions like that are why so many non soccer fans hate the game. One team has everything under control, one player dives, next thing you know its a different game. Different outcome.

Respect for letting players decide it. Hawks laid an egg on the PP like they did the whole game. Thats their problem.

No way in a playoff game do I want outcomes decided on bogus penalty shots. The Hawks player wasn't hauled down, it was a slight arm tug to interupt shooting motion. Good play, didn't meet threshold for penalty shot, good non call.
It's nice to see your bias is against everything and anything.

Old
05-24-2013, 08:49 AM
Lacaar

Howard had to make what.. 1 whole nice save that game.

Detroit is perfecting the get on your man fast and collapse low once your zone is gained.
This is playoff hockey now days. Give opponent no time and space and form a wall of 6 goalies when the other team gets your zone.

Detroit is playing it great and Chicago isn't getting a moments time with the puck.

If Detroit and L.A meet it will be interesting who can check each other to death the most.

Old
05-24-2013, 08:49 AM
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
New Dallas Stars logo?

It looks like something that should be on a coffee cup.

Old
05-24-2013, 08:59 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

And their terrible logos continue lol

Old
05-24-2013, 09:34 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
It's nice to see your bias is against everything and anything.
haha Blackhawks always pissed me off so this is sweet.

But not sure what you mean. I don't like marginal calls on penalty shots called in playoffs. Whichever team benefits. Again maybe I'm out to lunch here but it was a tug to interfere with the shot. It wasn't completely hauling the guy down. Theres a threshold to this type of thing in the playoffs and the players and everybody knows it.

Presumably the ref knows it. I'm arguing status quo supporting what occurred.

Closed Thread