HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League #5: 2013 Play-offs Edition!: Nucks fire AV, AVs hire Roy

Closed Thread

Old
05-29-2013, 12:49 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Craig Button, Pierre LeBrun and a few other hockey pundits are praising the hell out of the Kings/Sharks series on Twitter. Is there some kind of league-wide mandate to fawn all over the Kings? Because I wasn't once compelled to watch this series. Every time I tried my thumb veered towards the "previous channel" button on my remote.
It was the best playoff series I've seen in years. Very well played series and two teams giving it their all.

Joe Thornton played possibly the best series I've seen a player play this millenium and ended up losing. Which tells you something about how well LA played.

Old
05-29-2013, 12:54 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
The Sharks won three games against them on home ice. The Sharks. They're beatable just so long as they lose their home ice advantage.
The Sharks played better in this series than any club in the EC has looked in ANY series and its not even close.

They played a near perfect hockey club and took it to 7 games.

Old
05-29-2013, 01:29 AM
Toydarian

It is interesting that BOS, PIT, CHI or DET, and the LAK will all once again have a chance to win the cup. I don't find this interesting because they are the last 5 Stanley cup winners, but because they are all among the leagues biggest markets in the NHL (not including PIT). Wasn't the salary cap imposed to bring a sense of balance and level playing field amongst teams? Yet the big markets continue to dominate the post season.

Old
05-29-2013, 04:20 AM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
It was the best playoff series I've seen in years. Very well played series and two teams giving it their all.

Joe Thornton played possibly the best series I've seen a player play this millenium and ended up losing. Which tells you something about how well LA played.
Tells you more about SJ's depth.

0 goals from the third or fourth line in a 7 game series. Even Horcoff would've had one go off his ass and into the net. And that's while having to put Thornton on the ice with another tweener and a defenseman.

Last edited by syz: 05-29-2013 at 04:25 AM.
Old
05-29-2013, 08:31 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by devils4cup View Post
Darren Pang and Damien Cox got in a little twitter fight over the Kings style of play. Cox is saying he doesn't understand why the media is praising the kings and he is the one of the only media members against it.

Where it all falls apart for me with Cox is when he got a little personal with Pang. Dick move imo. Never liked Cox. He's a huge hack and just takes the opposite position of the mainstream to make himself look smart.
Cox was on 1260 at 6:30ish doing the same then Healy came on and couldn't figure out what Cox wanted. Keep in mind Cox complains about every single hit and fight in the NHL so I can see why he hated SJ-LA.

Old
05-29-2013, 08:40 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
It is interesting that BOS, PIT, CHI or DET, and the LAK will all once again have a chance to win the cup. I don't find this interesting because they are the last 5 Stanley cup winners, but because they are all among the leagues biggest markets in the NHL (not including PIT). Wasn't the salary cap imposed to bring a sense of balance and level playing field amongst teams? Yet the big markets continue to dominate the post season.
There is balance, but when you have a good solid core you aren't going just fall out of contention after winning the cup. But if you look at spending there is parity.

Boston - 9th
Pittsburgh - 7th
Chicago - 5th
Detroit - 13th
Los Angeles - 14th

Then look at teams who made it who are at the bottom of the payroll chart

Islanders - 28th
Blues - 29th
Sens - 25th

Old
05-29-2013, 08:42 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post

0 goals from the third or fourth line in a 7 game series. Even Horcoff would've had one go off his ass and into the net. And that's while having to put Thornton on the ice with another tweener and a defenseman.
Havlat's salary will go to some depth help. Unlike the Oilers depth was the reason for SJ not going any further this year. At least they got the most out of their key players.

Old
05-29-2013, 08:58 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post

Didn't help that Torres was suspended for duration of series, 6games, on a brutal call on a routine check.

It was a tight series and not that much scoring overall. Two teams playing pretty well in own zone and not giving up a lot. It tended to take great plays to produce goals. Not many of those to be had in a series like this.

That said the Kings have better depth. No surprise there.

Old
05-29-2013, 09:01 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Didn't help that Torres was suspended for duration of series, 6games, on a brutal call on a routine check.

It was a tight series and not that much scoring overall. Two teams playing pretty well in own zone and not giving up a lot. It tended to take great plays to produce goals. Not many of those to be had in a series like this.

That said the Kings have better depth. No surprise there.
For a game that had 44 shots I thought there were a lot of real good chances, but both teams really played smart hockey and a quick stick check here and there was breaking things up.

Jeff Carter sure has looked good too. Seems to have great speed. Either that or SJ d-men have similar skating ability to Sheldon Souray.

Old
05-29-2013, 09:05 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
For a game that had 44 shots I thought there were a lot of real good chances, but both teams really played smart hockey and a quick stick check here and there was breaking things up.

Jeff Carter sure has looked good too. Seems to have great speed. Either that or SJ d-men have similar skating ability to Sheldon Souray.
LA have so many weapons and seem to score just enough goals to win. As much as Sharks secondary scoring wasn't there I think some Sharks fell apart on the cycle in this series. Thornton was consistently winning battles, stripping pucks and setting up great plays in LA end. The amount of times a Shark player was not prepared for these passes or scoring chances was inexplicable.

Stick on ice, stick on ice. jebus, I felt sorry for Jumbo in this one. Great performance but can't win puck, pass, and score on the same play all by himself.

Old
05-29-2013, 09:11 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
LA have so many weapons and seem to score just enough goals to win. As much as Sharks secondary scoring wasn't there I think some Sharks fell apart on the cycle in this series. Thornton was consistently winning battles, stripping pucks and setting up great plays in LA end. The amount of times a Shark player was not prepared for these passes or scoring chances was inexplicable.

Stick on ice, stick on ice. jebus, I felt sorry for Jumbo in this one. Great performance but can't win puck, pass, and score on the same play all by himself.
He needs to take a page out of Datysuk's book

LA is a tough team for anyone to beat. Even their lessor players stick to the plan and know how to do the little things. Sutter got that team to buy into a system and now everyone follows without hesitation and listen to him.

Old
05-29-2013, 09:24 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
He needs to take a page out of Datysuk's book

LA is a tough team for anyone to beat. Even their lessor players stick to the plan and know how to do the little things. Sutter got that team to buy into a system and now everyone follows without hesitation and listen to him.
LA is my Cup favorite but Sutter and his systems get way too much credit.

Give the Kings any other goaltender and they don't make it out of the first round.

Old
05-29-2013, 09:50 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
LA is my Cup favorite but Sutter and his systems get way too much credit.

Give the Kings any other goaltender and they don't make it out of the first round.
Blows my mind that his save percentage jumps about 0.50 once the playoffs start.

Old
05-29-2013, 11:54 AM
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

The toughest part for me is how little rooting interest I can find in any team, cheering for a team to lose (particularly when I want just about every team who made the playoffs to lose) just doesn't cut it for extended period. Find it best to have the games on when I can flip back and forth between NHL and NBA games (not particularly an NBA fan, so get to watch playoff intensity games without being already tired of the storylines).

Old
05-29-2013, 12:13 PM
joestevens29

Well Torts fired. Would love to see him coach the Sedins.

Old
05-29-2013, 12:17 PM
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
First I want him to become part of the media again. The hypocrisy is tortellicious.

Old
05-29-2013, 12:25 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section337 View Post
First I want him to become part of the media again. The hypocrisy is tortellicious.
It's only a matter of time before him and Tambo join an organization and form the unstoppable Tortellini.

Old
05-29-2013, 12:30 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Holy that would be hilarious, they would cower in the dressing room corner the moment Torts knocks on the door

Old
05-29-2013, 01:55 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

I'm off the "Fire Kreuger and Hire Ruff" train and on to the "Fire Krueger and Hire Tortorella" bandwagon... who's with me?

Old
05-29-2013, 01:55 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Blows my mind that his save percentage jumps about 0.50 once the playoffs start.
That's not all together abnormal but it's tough to maintain through three, four rounds.

Old
05-29-2013, 03:00 PM
#ualberta

Not shocked torts got fired but he will have a job I think by next season his style is sometimes desired

Old
05-29-2013, 05:01 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
It's only a matter of time before him and Tambo join an organization and form the unstoppable Tortellini.
ah ha ha ha

Old
05-29-2013, 09:39 PM
Philly85
Moody'

What an absurd penalty to call. Moronic.

Old
05-29-2013, 09:40 PM
Toydarian

WTF is with the reffing these playoffs. What a joke.

Old
05-29-2013, 09:42 PM
Fuhryous

Wow...I'd say Chicago just got screwed out of the potential series winning goal. Two guys are wrestling along the boards, but the back ref has the "intent" to blow the whistle and call penalties as Seabrook fires a rocket past Howard. That whole intent thing is garbage, it should be when the whistle sounds.

Closed Thread