HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League #5: 2013 Play-offs Edition!: Nucks fire AV, AVs hire Roy

Closed Thread

Old
05-30-2013, 01:00 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
You can make these sorts of arguments about anyone. The Sharks beat the Canucks who beat the Hawks two years ago... but the Canucks also beat the Sharks two years ago. Two years ago the Sharks beat the Kings... and the year before that the kings lost to the Canucks who eventually lost to the Blackhawks...

None of this is relevant.
The Hawks in last two seasons have managed to be eliminated by the Nucks, Yotes in first round (pathetic) and took 7 and OT to manage to somehow survive the 7th place Red Wings.

In the last 3 years the Hawks haven't beat a contender team in the playoffs. Successive first round loses followed by managing to get by The sinking Minnesota Wild who were lucky to make the playoffs, and the Detroit red wings who were lucky to make the playoffs. Not compelling stuff.

My point isn't hard to follow. The Hawks have been a bad playoff team since the cup win. An insecure club that has trouble putting it together in postseason.

The whole point is that the Hawks haven't accomplished anything since their cup win and haven't been all that good in the playoffs since their cup win. Including this season. They've continued to struggle this playoffs while playing middling opposition.

So the shock is about to begin.

If I can make my stance clear as well is before the playoffs began I pegged the Blues and Sharks as the only clubs that could give LA trouble. LA oddly enough has had to face them both already. Hawks will be cake.

Last edited by Replacement: 05-30-2013 at 01:11 AM.
Old
05-30-2013, 01:00 AM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I'm having a hardtime understanding what you are stating. Hossa has been with the Hawks for all of the years in question. We're talking basically identical lineups with these teams from year to year. At least as far as the core players. Hossa had his head down and got his bell rung by Torres on the way to the Hawks first round disaster last season. Other than that not sure what you are saying.

How is it not relevant that the Hawks have had all kinds of difficulty playing teams with a system game the last couple playoff years.

They're about to face the masters. They had more than enough trouble playing the pretenders like Nucks, Yotes, Wings in last couple seasons.
The Sharks are the definition of "pretenders" and the Kings barely got by, no matter how confident you want to pretend they looked while being taken to game 7.

For the record, I think the Kings can beat the Hawks as long as Toews continues his vanishing act. But they'll get crushed by the Bruins.

Old
05-30-2013, 01:04 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 1729
The Hawks just beat a team that won the Cup 5 years ago.

The Kings just beat a team that hasn't even made the Finals.

Old
05-30-2013, 01:07 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
The Sharks are the definition of "pretenders" and the Kings barely got by, no matter how confident you want to pretend they looked while being taken to game 7.

For the record, I think the Kings can beat the Hawks as long as Toews continues his vanishing act. But they'll get crushed by the Bruins.
heh

Toews has been disappointing. But Kane hasn't been much either. Without some big performances from unlikely heros Hawks aren't even here.

I don't think the Bruins have it dialed up enough to go all the way. Kings can play 4 physical series in a row. Bruins haven't had tough opposition.

We disagree on the sharks, which is fine, but the Kings took 4 straight from the Blues after getting on track. jmo that if the Kings were going to get beat it was in first round as Blues had maybe a chance.

I think to defend the SC is tough and players don't always have the commitment. Now it looks like the Kings have it.

Should be a great last 3 series in anycase.

Old
05-30-2013, 01:10 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
The Hawks just beat a team that won the Cup 5 years ago.

The Kings just beat a team that hasn't even made the Finals.

Pretty sure you're kidding with this. Detroit of course is missing the best player in hockey since then.

My sense before the playoffs started was that Sharks and Blues were the only teams in the west that could extend the Kings. I think we will see that to be true.

Old
05-30-2013, 01:14 AM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
heh

Toews has been disappointing. But Kane hasn't been much either. Without some big performances from unlikely heros Hawks aren't even here.

I don't think the Bruins have it dialed up enough to go all the way. Kings can play 4 physical series in a row. Bruins haven't had tough opposition.

We disagree on the sharks, which is fine, but the Kings took 4 straight from the Blues after getting on track. jmo that if the Kings were going to get beat it was in first round as Blues had maybe a chance.

I think to defend the SC is tough and players don't always have the commitment. Now it looks like the Kings have it.

Should be a great last 3 series in anycase.
Like I said, the Bruins already toyed with the Rangers, who are basically LA East.

Old
05-30-2013, 01:19 AM
BlowbyBlow

Predictions:

Boston in 6 and/or Pittsburgh in 7

Its even in part because Pittsburgh got a freebie essentially with Ottawa (no offense Sens fans, but there not a physically challenging team, and there style was conducive to how they like to play.

Boston got an offensively challenged, no consistent forecheck Rangers team.

*Only caveat is Rask he could make this serious interesting if its Tim Thomas of 2 years ago its a short series,

- offense: edge to Pittsburgh; wide margin,
- offense (defense) - Boston way better defensively
- defense - depth of Boston
- defense (offense) - Chara vs Letang - x factor Krug, Barkowski - boston slight edge (where do they find these guys? lol)
- goaltending (a wash) I say Rask has to to be good not great, I am always reminded of the meltdown of 2010 (I have never had faith in him as a goalie, he's good but he lets in the too often give me's that he should have had)
- coaching (Boston)

L.A. in 5

I feel played too often that the team that has the toughest run, and yet at the same time stays healthy wins. You can look at Boston of 2011 with there number of game 7's, ditto for Carolina in 2006. L.A is battle tested. Conversely Chicago had a easier route (made it harder on themselves) Minnesota, Detroit ( don't be upset Detroit fans Chicago at times had to much arrogance to think they could steam roll a team)

I love both these teams, but Chicago has adapted a real nonchalant, disinterested at times style of play. We are right about 2 things we haven't seen there best, but when we have they don't play a full 60.

L.A. is the epitome of playing a full 60

Offense - Chicago slightly, more dynamic with Kane, Hossa especially
Offense (Defense) - L.A. has forwards that will shut you down like no other team in the league.
Defense - L.A.
Defense (Offense)- Drew Doughty need i say more
Goaltending - L.A by a large margin (no offense to Crawford Jonathan Quick gave freebies to st. Louis he's rock solid and the only right now in the playoffs capable of winning games 1-0)

Old
05-30-2013, 01:20 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Like I said, the Bruins already toyed with the Rangers, who are basically LA East.
We'll agree to disagree here. Rangers have never accomplished anything. LA Kings are SC champs.

Bruins have a habit as well of making things awfully hard. I could see them being a tired club even if they make it past the Pens. My own take is the East series will be closer than the West series.

That said I'm obviously disappointed that the Hawks actually survived. I can't wait to see them get laid out. I do hate the Hawks. Admitted.

Old
05-30-2013, 01:42 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
I think CHI's bottom 6 will be able to out score the LAK's bottom 6.

LAK are far more physical than CHI, but I don't think the Hawks will be overwhelmed. I think it depends on Crawford and how well the CHI Dmen are able to clear out rebounds.

Sharp - Toews - Kane can outplay Brown - Kopitar - Williams.

We also haven't seen CHI's best yet.
Barely.

Kopitar>Toews
Kane>>Brown
Williams = Sharp

And don't forget Richards-Carter-Penner - that line would run roughshod over Hossa-Handzus-Saad. There's only so much Hossa can do with those 2 on his line.

Old
05-30-2013, 02:22 AM
N5991989
Oilers Fan

vCash: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Barely.

Kopitar>Toews
Ha this made me laugh. I would take Toews 10 out of ten times over Kopitar.

Old
05-30-2013, 02:22 AM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Barely.

Kopitar>Toews
Kane>>Brown
Williams = Sharp

And don't forget Richards-Carter-Penner - that line would run roughshod over Hossa-Handzus-Saad. There's only so much Hossa can do with those 2 on his line.
I don't know how you compare those two lines. I'd think Richards Carter Penner lines up better with Toews Kane Sharp, but that might just be me. (Scorer-Passer-Grinder v Scorer-Scorer-Penner v Intangibles-Scorer-Scorer)

Also, I resent Brandon Saad.

Old
05-30-2013, 02:27 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by teganandsara View Post
Strange comment and I have no idea why you would. Kopitar is a physically dominating player with equal skill.

Kopitar has surpassed Toews.

Old
05-30-2013, 02:48 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by teganandsara View Post
And the overrating of Jonathan Toews continues.

Kopitar is every bit as good as Toews defensively, while being a better point producer historically on a less offensively-orientated team. And he doesn't need superstars like Hossa/Kane/ alongside him to do it. He gets by with Williams/Brown, solid players in their own right but nowhere near the star power of Hossa/Kane

Old
05-30-2013, 03:10 AM
Section337

I've almost given up hope that the lockout will be reinstated and none of the teams remaining will win the cup again. But my fingers are still crossed.

Old
05-30-2013, 04:15 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 168
What a boring result after the first two rounds.

I think most people could have predicted LA-Chicago and Boston-Pittsburgh.

Detroit making it past the first round was an interesting surprise, but all the other series played out quite predictably. It would be more interesting if Washington had made it past New York, but alas...

I sincerely hope that Chicago forces LA to play more offensively. I think Chicago will ride the momentum of the Detroit series and squash LA.

As for Pitt and Boston, it should be a fun series. I think Boston can play a more offensive minded game against an offensive team. I expect a high scoring series that favours Pittsburgh. I think Vokoun has a slight advantage in net, just based on experience.

Old
05-30-2013, 08:27 AM
OILSLICK94

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
A Hawks/Bruins final would leave me satisfied no matter who won.
That works well,

-Iggy doesn't get his cup,
-and we see no Stanley Cup repeat, hate the Kings style.

Old
05-30-2013, 09:01 AM
Philly85
Moody'

I'll be happy for Iggy if he gets his Cup, he deserves it

Old
05-30-2013, 09:16 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 1729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
I'll be happy for Iggy if he gets his Cup, he deserves it
At the very least it would be a victory for skill teams but there are too many dirtbags on that team.

Old
05-30-2013, 09:18 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Strange comment and I have no idea why you would. Kopitar is a physically dominating player with equal skill.

Kopitar has surpassed Toews.
Kopitar is a PPG selke nominee now?

Must've missed it.

Old
05-30-2013, 10:07 AM
Section337

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post

Must've missed it.
I tend to think Toews is a slightly better player. But the Selke nominee thing is borderline worthless in my mind, since Kopitar likely could have been nominated in the past if it wasn't such a popularity contest.

Old
05-30-2013, 10:11 AM
OilGuns

I don't know if this is where I should post this but if anyone wants to get a laugh out of Yakupov check out his instagram. @nail1064

Old
05-30-2013, 10:15 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

Must've missed it.
This is an argument for who the better player is? An arbitrary nominee?

I nominate Horcoff.

Does he have trade value now?

As to PPG the players have identical career PPG stats. One plays with far better linemates and gets a lot of help. The other is often carrying the load.

Why did you even mention PPG as an argument when theres little to no difference?

Old
05-30-2013, 10:18 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
This is an argument for who the better player is? An arbitrary nominee?

I nominate Horcoff.

Does he have trade value now?
How is it arbitrary. The guy was voted as one of the top 3 guys in the league for defensive forward.

IF you don't like that one then I'll go with the Conn Smythe, but that trophy probably means nothing to you either as CHI played a bunch of weak teams.

Old
05-30-2013, 10:31 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
How is it arbitrary. The guy was voted as one of the top 3 guys in the league for defensive forward.

IF you don't like that one then I'll go with the Conn Smythe, but that trophy probably means nothing to you either as CHI played a bunch of weak teams.
Do you know what the parameters were in the Selke voting?

You do know of course its based on regular season results.

Hows Toews looked in the playoffs?

Lets recap. Playing along some of the best players in the Hawks lineup and against two teams that have been lucky to make the playoffs Toews has managed 1 G 6pts, and is a - player. He's been invisible except for when taking brain cramp penalties.

Conversely Kopitar had one of the most dominating playoffs in years by a player going PPG through the SC playoffs with 20 pts while being being an astounding +16. But more the point is Kopitar was rarely scored against the entire playoffs. Apparently you missed it. Kopitar had a legendary playoff in 2012.

Last edited by Replacement: 05-30-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old
05-30-2013, 10:55 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

My favorite is the rare occasion Toews gets stuck with non-star calibre. I think once he was carrying Stalberg-Bickell. That was LOL. Produced like Bolland

Closed Thread