HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's over, now let's fix it. Keyboard GMs unite.

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2013, 11:56 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Johansson has great defensive instincts. He was awesome on the pk and at even strength his rookie year.

Which makes me hate him even more. Because the guy is lazy. Rather than try to grow as an athlete and turn that talent into on ice performance, he's done nothing. He'd rather do spin moves, and drop passes and whip low percentage passes to Ryan McDonagh.

He's gone from talented defensive center to soft perimeter winger through pure lack of effort.
Absolutely, for whatever reason he's not gotten any stronger and lacks effort from time to time.

Old
05-15-2013, 11:57 AM
capitalsfilopce

Send a message via Skype™ to capitalsfilopce
backstrom and ovie got together again and booom ovie won the goalscoring league

Old
05-15-2013, 12:01 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

I think you'd have to move Johansson for a top 4 LD. He's not needed anywhere in the top 6, assuming Erat and Laich play the LW spots. Ovechkin and Brouwer at the RWs. Backstrom the top 6 C, maybe bring Ribs back, maybe MP fills in (though I'm leery of his size wrt defense). Johansson + Kundratek + pick is a pretty strong package, and could be further improved if the trade target wants Neuvirth, who should also be moved in the offseason (and a veteran backup signed).

Yeah, it would be nice to have another gunner at wing for the 2nd line.

Old
05-15-2013, 12:02 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Absolutely it creates a hole.....

And no, in my head, trading Green would return a top 4 defender + (if not a top pair guy), so there wouldn't be two holes in the top 4.
Thank you for saving me stating the obvious, Green could well fetch a fine return including a 1RD, or 2RD +. In fact, it would be wise to seek a D.

Otherwise, the entire moving Green thing hinges upon Carlson giving a full effort the entire year. I am not sure we will ever come close to getting that from him, so therefore I throw his name out there instead of Green.

Oleksy met reasonable expectation for his first playoff. Kundratek looked fine all year. Orlov can play there dammit we all saw it. RD is not a gaping wound, it is a position of strength.

I just think the roster has gone stale and Tinkerbell tinkering around with small parts is not going to change that.

Old
05-15-2013, 12:09 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Absolutely it creates a hole. So does a $6+ mil a year defender who's averaged 35 missed games a year over the past 3 (averaged this year out over an 82 game season).

Trading Green absolutely creates a monster hole. The other option (if you want the core changed) is Backstrom. Is his value as high right now? Either one is hard to replace. I expect McPhee to throw the "it's too hard" card and rotate out more bottom 6 forwards and 5-7 Ds and hope he gets lucky as always.

The wings aren't returning you anything of exceptional value like a Green and Backstrom will. I don't know...I think the core of this team needs to be altered further. Trading either one would be bittersweet though for sure. I'd much rather keep them for sure...

And no, in my head, trading Green would return a top 4 defender + (if not a top pair guy), so there wouldn't be two holes in the top 4.
I'm not dismissing such a trade out o hand, but it's got to be considered very, very carefully. If they were to sign a guy like Mark Streit in July, then I'd look to trade Green for a top-notch top-4 LD or 1/2C.

Old
05-15-2013, 12:27 PM
Chokingdogs

Quote:
Fans by their nature want to let their favorite players off the hook, even if it means making up excuses. I'm sure Backstrom was nicked up like every player in the NHL postseason is right now. Not an excuse.
i'm not making an excuse for him.

if it comes out he had a concussion, and was playing through it, that might explain his unusually poor showing.

if it comes out he had a sprained whatever, that wouldnt.

if it comes out he didnt have any injury, then he shat the bed just like the other two on that line.

Old
05-15-2013, 12:32 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chokingdogs View Post

if it comes out he had a concussion, and was playing through it, that might explain his unusually poor showing.

if it comes out he didnt have any injury, then he shat the bed just like the other two on that line.
If he was playing hurt when he shouldn't have been in the lineup, just as big of an issue. If he was truly hurt so bad that it made him perform as poorly as he did, then he hurt the team either way.

Old
05-15-2013, 12:36 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:

Quote:
“We weren’t good enough,” Backstrom said. “Obviously, they played good on us, but we should still score goals. I can only talk for myself, my effort. It was embarrassing. It wasn’t good enough. No excuses.”
Feel free to lay into him.

CSN

Old
05-15-2013, 12:38 PM
Chokingdogs

Quote:
If he was playing hurt when he shouldn't have been in the lineup, just as big of an issue. If he was truly hurt so bad that it made him perform as poorly as he did, then he hurt the team either way.
youre 100% correct there.

its a losing situation for him no matter what. if he didnt play due to an injury some might question his "hockey toughness when it matters". if he tried to play through an injury that really limited his effectiveness, he hurt the team. if he played like crap just because, he gets called out.

at least if he did have an injury, a serious one, that could/would explain things, and there'd be a reason.

if no injury, that opens the pandora's box of - was that just an anomaly, or the start of something else?

Old
05-15-2013, 12:40 PM
Chokingdogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Feel free to lay into him.

CSN
then he shat the bed, but at least he has the stones to say he did so.

Old
05-15-2013, 12:47 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
When there are no repercussion, taking some blame rings hollow to me, but at least he manned up.

Old
05-15-2013, 12:56 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Quote:
When there are no repercussion, taking some blame rings hollow to me, but at least he manned up.
He said the same thing after the other recent playoff outs too, against NYR (again) and Tampa. I might want to see some actual corrective action before I go heaping praise on his words.

Old
05-15-2013, 01:01 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
He said the same thing after the other recent playoff outs too, against NYR (again) and Tampa. I might want to see some actual corrective action before I go heaping praise on his words.
exactly...rings hollow...

Old
05-15-2013, 01:30 PM
champ19

Quote:
One question, how is marshmallow soft Mojo supposed to excel as a two-way C, when he's marshmallow soft? If he can't hold a puck after a hit, how's he supposed to play effective D as a 3rd C?
There is a reason why Detroit a puck possession team wanted to draft Johansson. He is been playing, out of position on the wing ,for the last couple of years. Alan May on comcast showed several hi lights/lowlights of Johannson trying to get to the net and not being able to so from the wing. At center his strengths with exception of face offs are maximized (Oates can work on that). He can handle the puck at high speed, use his speed to strip pucks with backside pressure, force defencemen to give up line prematurely and help circumvent the oppositions forecheck.His takeaways would increase and his giveaways would decline The guy is already a good penalty killer and watch the pass he made on the power goal to Ward in game 5 as nice as anything Rebiero has done. Also with his foot speed if you play him with the right defensive pairing you can force the opposition center to always be chasing the puck so even when they do get it, they're gassed . Johansson who was captain of the Swedish junior team has never been developed properly because of the constant upheavals here in Washington. Whose to blame for that?

Old
05-15-2013, 02:02 PM
Carlzner

I don't think Ribs was coming back anyways. McPhee said he had a plan in place after trading for Erat, my guess is that plan probably involves Laich or Perreault becoming the next 2C

Old
05-15-2013, 02:03 PM
txpd

mark streit? wont mark streit on the ufa market cost more than green while not being as good as green?

isnt a top not top 4 d by definition not top notch unless he is top 2 at least?

how do you trade a 25 minute defenseman for another 25 minute defenseman plus?

Old
05-15-2013, 02:08 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Mike F'ing Green.

25 minutes a game
25% of the time

Old
05-15-2013, 02:09 PM
txpd

ok....trade him

Old
05-15-2013, 02:11 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
mark streit? wont mark streit on the ufa market cost more than green while not being as good as green?

isnt a top not top 4 d by definition not top notch unless he is top 2 at least?

how do you trade a 25 minute defenseman for another 25 minute defenseman plus?
No, Streit won't cost more than Green. Streit would be the 2RD in that scenario, with Carlson moving to 1RD. The theory is, you fill a major hole by trading Green, and fill the hole opened by trading Green without giving up any assets.

Just spit-balling here: Let's say Vancouver wants more balance to their defense, by adding someone to the right side. Trade Green for Edler, and sign Streit.

That leaves your top-4 as:

Alzner-Carlson
Edler-Streit

You've traded a 25 minute+ defenseman for a 25 minute+ defenseman and improved the defense overall.

Old
05-15-2013, 02:13 PM
DanTHEMan71

I do think MoJo plays much better at center than wing. He excels in open ice. Countless times I've seen him carry the puck into the zone with ease. That's definitely one of his strengths. His game revolves around his speed and hands but he can't utilize those as much on the wing. He'd have to get mostly offensive zone starts because he's still not good at faceoffs.

Along the boards the looks lost. He's one of those players that needs to be carrying the puck in and dishing it off, not one of those players that waits along the half-boards or behind the net for a pass from Nicky, only to quick-touch pass it to someone else. Ignoring his faceoffs, he's definitely better utilized at C rather than LW, like MP85 for a lot of the same reasons.

However, unless we lose Ribs we can't really use him at C. 4C = Beagle, 3C = MP85, 2C = Ribs, and 1C = Nicky. Add Laich into the mix and we're already full at C.

If we plan to lose Ribs, I wouldn't mind considering next season as a mini-rebuild. Play MoJo at 2C full-time to develop at that position and just wait for Kuz and next summer's FA market?

Old
05-15-2013, 02:14 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlzner View Post
I don't think Ribs was coming back anyways. McPhee said he had a plan in place after trading for Erat, my guess is that plan probably involves Laich or Perreault becoming the next 2C
If so I'd much rather mojo be the 2C.

Erat-Backstrom-Ovechkin
Laich-Johansson-Brouwer
Chimera-Perreault-Fehr
Ward-Beagle-Wilson

When Kuz comes over...

Erat-Backstrom-Ovechkin
Kuznetsov-Johansson-Brouwer
Laich-Perreault-Fehr
Chimera-Beagle-Ward/Wilson

I'd honestly be pretty happy with that forward group. Then we use the saved money by not resigning Ribeiro, to improve the D corps.

Old
05-15-2013, 02:14 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Forget about Streit. Thought he was right-handed for some reason.

Old
05-15-2013, 02:22 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
You've traded a 25 minute+ defenseman for a 25 minute+ defenseman and improved the defense overall.
But the trade doesn't really have anything to do with the improvement. It's the signing that generates the improvement in your scenario. Not that I'm against it.

Old
05-15-2013, 02:27 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

@SWhyno
Quote:
Asked McPhee if he had permission from Leonsis to use compliance buyouts. #Caps GM answered that it hadn't been discussed.
Um. So what was his plan exactly, then?

Old
05-15-2013, 02:30 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
But the trade doesn't really have anything to do with the improvement. It's the signing that generates the improvement in your scenario. Not that I'm against it.
The trade does have to do with the improvement, as it address another need area. It's just an example of the process through which you'd make such a trade improve the team.

Closed Thread