HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's over, now let's fix it. Keyboard GMs unite.

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2013, 02:34 PM
BobRouse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
@SWhyno

Um. So what was his plan exactly, then?
McPhee would be stupid to say anything.

If he said "yep! Ted gave me permission to do buyouts!"

That would erode whatever meager leverage he has in terms of trading a guy like Schultz for instance. By the mere answer of "yes" it would suggest he has talked to Ted about it and is actively trying or intending to use a buyout.

It is best to keep quiet and say stuff "yep we like all our guys and expect them to be back" and then behind closed doors to try and find a sucker to take Schultz off our hands.

Old
05-15-2013, 02:34 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
The trade does have to do with the improvement, as it address another need area. It's just an example of the process through which you'd make such a trade improve the team.
I don't think Green for Edler improves the team significantly on its own. It's more or less lateral and trades a hole for a hole (injury concerns aside). The entire benefit is dependent upon successfully signing the free agent. That's what I meant.

Old
05-15-2013, 02:36 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post

That would erode whatever meager leverage he has in terms of trading a guy like Schultz for instance.

It is best to keep quiet and say stuff "yep we like all our guys and expect them to be back" and then behind closed doors to try and find a sucker to take Schultz off our hands.
At the time of the Erat trade, he said he had a plan in place (to do what? nobody knows). We assumed it was to keep Ribeiro, since that's more or less what was asked, but it was a slippery sort of answer. But not having discussed buyouts means that his plan, if it was keeping Ribeiro, would have to involve a net gain of about $5M (projected) in salary cap space through trade.

Old
05-15-2013, 02:40 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
I don't think Green for Edler improves the team significantly on its own. It's more or less lateral and trades a hole for a hole (injury concerns aside). The entire benefit is dependent upon successfully signing the free agent. That's what I meant.
I know, I'm just explaining to txpd how trading the 25+ minute defensman for a 25+ minute defenseman can improve the team.

Obviously, a move like trading Green has to be done in concert with other moves.

Old
05-15-2013, 02:45 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post

That would erode whatever meager leverage he has in terms of trading a guy like Schultz for instance. By the mere answer of "yes" it would suggest he has talked to Ted about it and is actively trying or intending to use a buyout.

Yeah, and George never really tips his hand either. The best thing to do right now is say positive things regardless of the question. You start the dealing and the wheeling behind closed doors.

Old
05-15-2013, 02:47 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
I know, I'm just explaining to txpd how trading the 25+ minute defensman for a 25+ minute defenseman can improve the team.

Obviously, a move like trading Green has to be done in concert with other moves.
Ah ok

Old
05-15-2013, 02:48 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Yeah, and George never really tips his hand either. The best thing to do right now is say positive things regardless of the question. You start the dealing and the wheeling behind closed doors.
Yeah, I was talking more about what saying that now reveals about his supposed plan from the Erat trade, assuming he isn't blatantly lying to us now and wasn't then.

Old
05-15-2013, 02:50 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

I love it when a Penguins fans says to me, "look I hate the Rangers too, so I'm unbiased"....comical.

Old
05-15-2013, 02:51 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ19 View Post
There is a reason why Detroit a puck possession team wanted to draft Johansson. He is been playing, out of position on the wing ,for the last couple of years. Alan May on comcast showed several hi lights/lowlights of Johannson trying to get to the net and not being able to so from the wing. At center his strengths with exception of face offs are maximized (Oates can work on that). He can handle the puck at high speed, use his speed to strip pucks with backside pressure, force defencemen to give up line prematurely and help circumvent the oppositions forecheck.His takeaways would increase and his giveaways would decline The guy is already a good penalty killer and watch the pass he made on the power goal to Ward in game 5 as nice as anything Rebiero has done. Also with his foot speed if you play him with the right defensive pairing you can force the opposition center to always be chasing the puck so even when they do get it, they're gassed . Johansson who was captain of the Swedish junior team has never been developed properly because of the constant upheavals here in Washington. Whose to blame for that?
Um, George McPhee? In case you've missed it, I'm not a fan.

Old
05-15-2013, 02:55 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
mark streit? wont mark streit on the ufa market cost more than green while not being as good as green?

isnt a top not top 4 d by definition not top notch unless he is top 2 at least?

how do you trade a 25 minute defenseman for another 25 minute defenseman plus?
You think Streit is getting more than $6 mil per for term? He's 35.

Old
05-15-2013, 02:57 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

Quote:

Absolutely, you still add a top 4 D and a top 6 scorer IMO. Just redistribute some salary.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:03 PM
Liberati0n*

Quote:
@SWhyno

Um. So what was his plan exactly, then?

Just...what?

Old
05-15-2013, 03:06 PM
Red Dread

What veteran goalie do you think would fit this team, in terms of cap hit?

Old
05-15-2013, 03:10 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post

Just...what?
He said after the Erat trade, when asked about retaining Ribeiro, that he had a plan. If he hadn't talked about compliance buyouts, what could that plan have been? Dump off $5M in salary on someone?

Old
05-15-2013, 03:11 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsfan12837 View Post
My preferences would be Giguere or Dan Ellis. Ellis is UFA, whereas they'd have to trade for Giguere.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:12 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

I don't see the goalies changing at all unless someone comes offering a 1st or good prospect for Neuvy. I don't think McPhee minds carrying these guys at lower salaries.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:12 PM
kicksavedave
yeahright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsfan12837 View Post
Vokoun? 2011/12?

Old
05-15-2013, 03:17 PM
Liberati0n*

Quote:
He said after the Erat trade, when asked about retaining Ribeiro, that he had a plan. If he hadn't talked about compliance buyouts, what could that plan have been? Dump off $5M in salary on someone?
No, I know. That was in response to McPhee.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:19 PM
DanTHEMan71

We'll keep both goalies unless a really good trade is offered for Neuvy. I don't really mind that. We'll need both in a full season next year. Other teams that were content in carrying 2 starters: STL, VAN, LA. It wasn't a big detriment. Especially since Neuvy is super cheap for his value.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:20 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
When there are no repercussion, taking some blame rings hollow to me, but at least he manned up.
how do you know there are no reprecussions?

Old
05-15-2013, 03:21 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
how do you know there are no reprecussions? or are you saying there is only one reprecussion?
Do you know there were? Do I need to prove a negative? Unless you're suggesting a pat on the back, a handshake and a "see you next year. maybe we'll win the coin toss next time" are repercussions...

Old
05-15-2013, 03:22 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
No, I know. That was in response to McPhee.
Oh. I am having a really bad reading comprehension day That's like 3 people I've completely misunderstood just on this board, just today.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:27 PM
Liberati0n*

Quote:
Oh. I am having a really bad reading comprehension day That's like 3 people I've completely misunderstood just on this board, just today.
No that's probably my fault. I can't imagine how it hasn't been discussed. Hopefully he's lying or something.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:30 PM
IafrateOvie34

The positives for me and this team is the direction towards being a tough team eventually. In the past, guys like Latta and Wilson wouldn't have sniffed a roster spot on the Caps. Alzner and Carlson are hitting their prime and gained valuable experience the last few playoffs. The goalie situation looks good although young and learning. I think Oates is a good coach and will adjust for next season. Fehr looked really good this year and I hope he continues in 2014. As for Erat, a few games this years isn't enough for me to decide on how he will do with the Caps. I will reserve judgement on him until the end of next season. I just hope he remains healthy. The biggest boost to this team is leaving the Southeast Division.

The thing that does bother me and the Caps is the lack of killer instinct. In 2008 and 2009, I had hoped to see them learn from their playoff experience and come out hungry. Not putting series away in 2010, 2012, and 2013 is really frustrating knowing they could have. I guess the same could be said for 2011 due to the Caps playing well in the first two games in the 2nd round. I'm hoping the new alignment will give the Caps a killer instinct.

I won't even bother mentioning management. I've accepted the fact nothing will change and just hope for the best. This does not mean I am happy at all with it.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:30 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
My preferences would be Giguere or Dan Ellis. Ellis is UFA, whereas they'd have to trade for Giguere.
Remember when Giggy called out his team this year? No chance Ted and GMGM would let a meanie like that into their locker room, he might get the Caps players to act like professionals and no one wants that around these parts.

Closed Thread