HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's over, now let's fix it. Keyboard GMs unite.

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2013, 03:36 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Neuvirth and a 1st for a 2nd
Done. And no backsies!

No, seriously, what would you guys want? Obviously our preference would be for a draft pick, but since we more or less have a unofficial $50 million budget, would you be interested in maybe Moss?

Old
05-14-2013, 03:36 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Someone threw out a Backstrom for Koivu, Clutterbuck + idea on the trade board. I like that framework quite a bit.
Why would the Wild do that?

It takes 2 teams to trade...

Old
05-14-2013, 03:37 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPreferPi View Post
Done. And no backsies!

No, seriously, what would you guys want? Obviously our preference would be for a draft pick, but since we more or less have a unofficial $50 million budget, would you be interested in maybe Moss?
Neuvirth for Klesla makes more sense than Johansson for Klesla.

Laich would make a whole lot more sense to move than Johansson, but not sure how the Yotes could make that salary fit.

Old
05-14-2013, 03:38 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caps4cup View Post
I think keeping Ribeiro is a must. We finally get a top end 2C and now we don't want to keep him?

I think we HAVE to find a way to keep him. This year he wasnt too good at ES, but in 4 of the 5 previous seasons he has ES point totals of 48, 48, 52, 55. This year was just a down year offensively at ES for him, in a shortened sample size. Even if you generously project him to have only 20 PP points next year, he should be a lock for 65 points at the very least, which we should not pass up IMO.

Erat-Backstrom-Ovechkin
Horton-Ribeiro-Brouwer
Laich-Perreault-Fehr
Chimera-Beagle-Wilson

Alzner-Green
Orlov/FA/Trade-Carlson
Orlov/FA/Trade-Oleksy

Holtby

Trade Johansson for either a 1st in this years draft, a good forward/Defensemen prospect+, or a top 4 LHD.

Trade ward to the highest bidder. He's a solid 3rd liner but there's better ways to spend some of that 3M (Ribeiro or maybe a guy like Horton).
Can't fit that roster under the cap. Would need one more D and there's only 4 mil left; Only Horton is going to get more than that,

Quote:
FORWARDS
Martin Erat ($4.500m) / Nicklas Backstrom ($6.700m) / Alex Ovechkin ($9.538m)
Brooks Laich ($4.500m) / Mike Ribeiro ($5.000m) / Troy Brouwer ($3.667m)
Jason Chimera ($1.750m) / Mathieu Perreault ($1.050m) / Eric Fehr ($1.500m)
Aaron Volpatti ($0.575m) / Jay Beagle ($0.900m) / Tom Wilson ($1.325m)
DEFENSEMEN
Karl Alzner ($3.250m) / Mike Green ($6.083m)
Jack Hillen ($0.700m) / John Carlson ($3.967m)
Dmitry Orlov ($0.900m) / Steven Oleksy ($0.542m)
GOALTENDERS
Michal Neuvirth ($2.500m)
Braden Holtby ($1.850m)
OTHER
Buyout: Jeff Schultz ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,796,795; BONUSES: $560,000
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $4,063,205

Old
05-14-2013, 03:41 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

A Rangers fan proposed Laich, Mojo, and Kundratek for Staal.

Would anyone say no to that?

Old
05-14-2013, 03:46 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post

Assuming there are no long-term effects from Staal's injury, I'd drive those three to New York myself.

Just under $4m/year for 2 more years for a 26-year-old legitimate top-pairing defenseman? Great contract.

Old
05-14-2013, 03:47 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
Neuvirth for Klesla makes more sense than Johansson for Klesla.

Laich would make a whole lot more sense to move than Johansson, but not sure how the Yotes could make that salary fit.
Yotes wouldn't be interested in trading for Laich. We need affordable young talent up front. Johansson more than fits the bill if he's available (and he may very well be should the Caps resign Ribiero), and Klesla looks pretty ideal for you guys too.

Old
05-14-2013, 03:47 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:

Not if it were pre-eye-injury Staal. Now, I wouldn't do it.

Old
05-14-2013, 04:33 PM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by caps4cup View Post
I think keeping Ribeiro is a must. We finally get a top end 2C and now we don't want to keep him?

I think we HAVE to find a way to keep him. This year he wasnt too good at ES, but in 4 of the 5 previous seasons he has ES point totals of 48, 48, 52, 55. This year was just a down year offensively at ES for him, in a shortened sample size. Even if you generously project him to have only 20 PP points next year, he should be a lock for 65 points at the very least, which we should not pass up IMO.

Erat-Backstrom-Ovechkin
Horton-Ribeiro-Brouwer
Laich-Perreault-Fehr
Chimera-Beagle-Wilson

Alzner-Green
Orlov/FA/Trade-Carlson
Orlov/FA/Trade-Oleksy

Holtby

Trade Johansson for either a 1st in this years draft, a good forward/Defensemen prospect+, or a top 4 LHD.

Trade ward to the highest bidder. He's a solid 3rd liner but there's better ways to spend some of that 3M (Ribeiro or maybe a guy like Horton).
I am sorry but I think people are making way too much out of this series in their assessment of MJ. First off, I don't think he was nearly as bad as people make him out to be. I saw many instances where he was strong on the puck, it's in him. He also had a few nice setups that weren't cashed in. His lack of finishing will improve. To give him up for a mid-first would be beyond stupid. There is no guarantee that guy would be anywhere MJ's level in his 3rd season, and I fully expect the kid to continue improving. If we trade him it had better be for a top 10 pick (and even then expect that we don't see returns for a few seasons) or a LD.

Speaking of D, I strongly believe Orlov is a solid 2nd pairing guy in the making. I'm not sure what he did to puss off the coaching staff or management, but hopefully that resolves next season. I am very curious about Schmidt.

Old
05-14-2013, 05:00 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadrupleDeke View Post
Why would the Wild do that?

It takes 2 teams to trade...
Koivu was probably worse than Backstrom in these playoffs.

Old
05-14-2013, 05:00 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
I am sorry but I think people are making way too much out of this series in their assessment of MJ. First off, I don't think he was nearly as bad as people make him out to be. I saw many instances where he was strong on the puck, it's in him. He also had a few nice setups that weren't cashed in. His lack of finishing will improve. To give him up for a mid-first would be beyond stupid. There is no guarantee that guy would be anywhere MJ's level in his 3rd season, and I fully expect the kid to continue improving. If we trade him it had better be for a top 10 pick (and even then expect that we don't see returns for a few seasons) or a LD.

Speaking of D, I strongly believe Orlov is a solid 2nd pairing guy in the making. I'm not sure what he did to puss off the coaching staff or management, but hopefully that resolves next season. I am very curious about Schmidt.
Johansson wasn't bad. 19 was dragging down both Mojo and Alex. It was painfully obvious.

Old
05-14-2013, 05:11 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlzner View Post
Johansson wasn't bad. 19 was dragging down both Mojo and Alex. It was painfully obvious.
MAJO disappeared as soon as the physical play picked up. I think his inability to deal with the physical play does not stop with his own physical development, I think it's also in his head/heart. He didn't have to deal with that style in Sweden and the Caps fast tracked him just about immediately to the NHL so he never had the opportunity to adjust to NA hockey way.

Besides sick of his fn drop passes.

He's one of the ones on my list that I'd have no problem seeing the Caps move.

Old
05-14-2013, 05:14 PM
Cush
-inator

Old
05-14-2013, 05:16 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:

First of all, that's funny that they would want Kundratek back.

Staal would only be here for a cup of coffee on his way south to join his brothers, he has two season left after this one before he's a UFA.

Old
05-14-2013, 05:20 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post

Mojo is one of my favorite players but if you were able to trade him for a top 4 LHD, or a 1st, and sign a guy like Horton who brings physicality to the top 6 (and much better goal scoring), I think you do it.

Old
05-14-2013, 05:23 PM
Robert Theodorson

The first step towards "fixing" the Caps is getting a new General Manager.

If GMGM is here next year, which I fully expect him to be, it's same ol' Caps. Out in the 1st or 2nd round, and we will be right back here in the summer of 2014.

Anyone disagree?

Old
05-14-2013, 05:25 PM
DanTHEMan71

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post

Anyone disagree?
Nope.

Old
05-14-2013, 05:25 PM
txpd

i imagine there are rangers fans that didnt know the rangers ever had kundratek.

orlov might be a quality second pair d in the making. i dont think he will be made for next season, though. particularly if oates insists he plays right d because he is right handed.

the caps have green and carlson. i doubt seriously if the caps trade green for a forward that orlov and carlson could make up that production and minutes without a fall off.

i think schmidt is the guy. i think orlov gets traded.

Old
05-14-2013, 05:26 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Horton would be a very nice fit... But we have no cap space.

Old
05-14-2013, 05:38 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
The first step towards "fixing" the Caps is getting a new General Manager.

If GMGM is here next year, which I fully expect him to be, it's same ol' Caps. Out in the 1st or 2nd round, and we will be right back here in the summer of 2014.

Anyone disagree?
i am wondering what you expect a new gm would do?

i am pretty sure that the caps are the caps. if they got a new gm, he would either largely keep things the same to let things play out with oates.

or he would turn things upside down and the team would still blow a two game lead in the playoffs and lose.

the thing about the new gm thing is that everyone thinks the new gm is going to do things that they think need to be done. just a reminder. look at the deals that brian burke made in toronto. a bunch here want burke. that phil kessel deal was hard on toronto. signing jeff finger a wonderful move and so on.

what are you thinking happens if leonsis decides not to reup mcphee assuming his contract really is expiring.

Old
05-14-2013, 05:47 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlzner View Post
Horton would be a very nice fit... But we have no cap space.
There's gotta be a way we can fit him in me thinks. We can save 3 mil by trading Neuvirth and if Alzner takes 2m instead of 3.25. That leaves us 7m for Horton and a Defensemen.

This is according to the capgeek roster posted near the top of the page.

Old
05-14-2013, 05:49 PM
SashaSemin28
Because Its The Caps

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to SashaSemin28
Get Sasha and Varly back, get Fedorov in as gm, etc

Old
05-14-2013, 06:00 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
orlov might be a quality second pair d in the making. i dont think he will be made for next season, though. particularly if oates insists he plays right d because he is right handed.

the caps have green and carlson. i doubt seriously if the caps trade green for a forward that orlov and carlson could make up that production and minutes without a fall off.

i think schmidt is the guy. i think orlov gets traded.
Orlov is a lefty and I think Schmidt will need more AHL time to polish up his defensive game. IMO Kundratek is the odd-man out given his skill set and their apparent inclination towards Oleksy. Teams with crappy PPs ought to be interested.

After the Forsberg trade the Burke criticisms kind of go out the window I think, though Fenton is a little more appealing overall.

Old
05-14-2013, 06:21 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Orlov is a lefty and I think Schmidt will need more AHL time to polish up his defensive game. IMO Kundratek is the odd-man out given his skill set and their apparent inclination towards Oleksy. Teams with crappy PPs ought to be interested.

After the Forsberg trade the Burke criticisms kind of go out the window I think, though Fenton is a little more appealing overall.
orlov is a lefty that doesnt like the left side. we will see.

what are you expecting out of forsberg? how could the forsberg trade hold a candle to the kessel deal? do you forsberg as a better player than kessel?

Old
05-14-2013, 06:28 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Trade Backstrom for Semin!

Closed Thread