HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's over, now let's fix it. Keyboard GMs unite.

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2013, 06:29 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

vCash: 500
OK. If you don't want to trade #19, then what NBTW said. A package for Staal.

Then Staal for Semin!

Old
05-14-2013, 06:33 PM
Ovechtrick89

vCash: 405
If you think this team is going anywhere with the current lineup in that ridiculously hard division next season then you have another thing coming.

The mentality of this team is 'it's ok i don't need to score because Ovi will and that's fine'. So what happens when teams REALLY key on him and he then requires others to help him out so he can get open? Jack s-h-i-t, that's what because none of them can hit the net.

Honestly if they don't improve drastically personnel wise or can't convince Kuznetsov to come over early then Ovi should not waste another of his best years in this playoff dump that George and Ted have created.

Old
05-14-2013, 06:35 PM
Langway
Proud Mediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
what are you expecting out of forsberg? how could the forsberg trade hold a candle to the kessel deal? do you forsberg as a better player than kessel?
There's more to Burke than the Kessel trade but I meant that more in terms of desperation and misevaluation driving poor decisions. Erat was the Kessel equivalent in the deal, not Forsberg. I'm not sure Forsberg will be that great of a finisher but I do think he profiles better as what they lack than Erat does in terms of playing style. Not that FF would be the answer necessarily--and not that Kuznetsov will be either--but Erat doesn't really seem like it either so it still reeks of desperation. Ultimately I don't think GMGM and his staff know how to build secondary scoring or a solid overall blueline so any alternative that does would seem to be an upgrade.

Old
05-14-2013, 06:38 PM
SashaSemin28
408 Forever 63*

Send a message via Skype™ to SashaSemin28
Quote:
Originally Posted by raikkonen View Post
ok. If you don't want to trade #19, then what nbtw said. A package for staal.

Then staal for semin!

viva sasha!!!

Old
05-14-2013, 06:50 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
OK. If you don't want to trade #19, then what NBTW said. A package for Staal.

Then Staal for Semin!
I thinm canes fans turned it down when it was floated around on the trade board earlier this year

Old
05-14-2013, 06:52 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Joking aside... trading Backstrom and keeping Ribeiro would be mistake I believe.

This past series we had dysfunctional 1st line, 2nd line which wasn't scoring (but mostly playing at least even), very good 3rd line and bad 4th line (those guys like Hendricks and Beagle, you know, didn't impress me one bit).

Ribeiro was OK to my eyes. Not a problem. I like what he has done in the series (was trying to do). One OTG, one primary for OTG... That's good, also he wasn't defensive liability much, had a dominating game at the dot even (G5?).

Defensemen #4-5-6 weren't clearing the zone. Oleksy was a rookie, Erskine was awful, Hillen was overpowered and didn't shine like in the end of RS. Not clearing the zone led to much time in the own zone against Rangers' forwards. That was bad.

Alzner, Carlson and Green? Any day of the week. I think it was one of the better series from Green. No complaints. I do not understand why would we trade him. Alzner-Green was working. Carlson OTOH needed a partner with speed, skill, strength and stamina. Which we don't have (I suppose for 20 years or so? I don't really know, just from your words guys).

Touching our non existent scoring... One would say we quit after 2-0? No. We scored. Actually 6 goals (3 in each G3 and G4). That was enough against usual Rangers' 1-2 goals a game. But wasn't enough obviously.

I do believe we couldn't survive against Rangers hitting and forechecking in those G3/G4. Defense was part of the problem. And the Erat's injury also partly. So that was a problem, Rags outmuscled us and got their goals also. That was a shift of momentum.

Oates didn't overcome it. Players didn't either. Torts and Lundqvist won.

Our goalie? Holtby should stay, Neuvirth better go (cap space reasons are enough).

How to fix it? I don't know but I would try to identify who we can't trade (like Alzner, Carlson and Green) and who we really need.

Offer any forward, picks and prospects for the player which will suit OUR NEEDS. Ward? Laich? Brouwer? Perreault? Chimera? Erat?

I would trade any or wouldn't trade at all (which is wrong). So it should be any if it could do the needed trade.

UFA Scuderi? Even better.

Orlov plays like top-4? Think about it when you see it. Use him as #5/6.

And the last thing from me today. I would not trade MJ. Keep Wilson at juniors if roster slot is needed, but not trade MJ. He bounced back in the later games and was playing, fighting. I think he has a bigger game in him, but not necessarily tomorrow.

PS: Angry at Erskine. Perhaps, should be traded. 2M at 3rd pair... just bad.

Old
05-14-2013, 06:59 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
i am wondering what you expect a new gm would do?

i am pretty sure that the caps are the caps. if they got a new gm, he would either largely keep things the same to let things play out with oates.

or he would turn things upside down and the team would still blow a two game lead in the playoffs and lose.

the thing about the new gm thing is that everyone thinks the new gm is going to do things that they think need to be done. just a reminder. look at the deals that brian burke made in toronto. a bunch here want burke. that phil kessel deal was hard on toronto. signing jeff finger a wonderful move and so on.

what are you thinking happens if leonsis decides not to reup mcphee assuming his contract really is expiring.
Actually acquire a top-4 defenseman?

Old
05-14-2013, 07:02 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

OK. I'm back for a minute. Think about that:

BB as GM. His 1st trade is Backstrom for Luongo. Profit!

Now I'm properly done.

Old
05-14-2013, 07:08 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
There's more to Burke than the Kessel trade but I meant that more in terms of desperation and misevaluation driving poor decisions. Erat was the Kessel equivalent in the deal, not Forsberg. I'm not sure Forsberg will be that great of a finisher but I do think he profiles better as what they lack than Erat does in terms of playing style. Not that FF would be the answer necessarily--and not that Kuznetsov will be either--but Erat doesn't really seem like it either so it still reeks of desperation. Ultimately I don't think GMGM and his staff know how to build secondary scoring or a solid overall blueline so any alternative that does would seem to be an upgrade.
langer...i asked a question. what do you expect out of forsberg?

i use kessel as on an example so to not write more than i want to. we can add finger and komisarek and other things done in toronto that failed woefully. do you want to run the entire list?

i am fine with burke. he has a cup and then a fire and the gate. if burke comes in, then i am open minded but realistic.

if the forsberg deal is such a bust, what are your expectations of how forsberg turns out?

Old
05-14-2013, 07:08 PM
EroCaps

It's been clear what's wrong with this franchise for years.

It's a culture of spoiled, selfish, pansies. The culture has been fostered from the top down. Leonsis is fat and happy on sell outs. It's very clear that winning means less to him than profit or he would have fired McPhee long ago. McPhee, likewise appears to be about keeping **** to shoe-level and his job. He's averse to risk and will never win because of it.

The kids under them are just carrying out the organizations' attitude on ice.

Play hard enough to make the playoffs (that's the standard) but fold against teams with higher expectations and self discipline.

Old
05-14-2013, 07:17 PM
DanTHEMan71

Meh, I think the culture crap is getting overplayed. It was more of a problem with BB. Dale straightened em out and now I think Oates has kept the locker room in check. It's just the higher-ups that aren't giving Oates the team he needs to win. That's because Ted and McPhee are incompetent.

Old
05-14-2013, 07:21 PM
g00n
abides

Here's how you fix it: model the Bruins.

Old
05-14-2013, 07:23 PM
Langway
Proud Mediocrity

Quote:
langer...i asked a question. what do you expect out of forsberg?...

if the forsberg deal is such a bust, what are your expectations of how forsberg turns out?
I think he'll be a solid second liner, which is not something to discount at a cheap rate for a few years and at least seven years of team control. Not a star but a decent player and someone that could have grown with the team over the years.

It's not even so much Forsberg being given up as not understanding what in Erat's game made him so coveted to begin with. I've just never gotten it and I'm not sure I ever really will from a hockey standpoint.

Old
05-14-2013, 07:24 PM
txpd

the capitals have never been profitable.

i hope there is a gm change though. for all you guys. when things dont change all you will have left is leonsis who wont be going anywhere.

honestly, my give a damn is broken. i dont really care anymore. ive been watching this for a long time.

my reasoning pushing back on the fire mcphee front is that it wont fix anything.

the caps as a franchise have built one hell of a boulder to push up the mountain. a lot of posters here dont give near the proper weight to the caps playoff rep actually presents.

its like you guys think if the cubs got a modern murders row of a lineup that they would win the world series. that they are the cubs carries no value. the cubs is what kills any good team they have.

the red sox gives the caps a chance, but its a tall mountain push a heavy boulder and its all in their head. you fix it by firing people? i dont think that changes things for the better. it just increases the pressure.

Old
05-14-2013, 07:26 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

What's the plan for Hendricks? Do you guys expect to hang onto him, or do you expect he'll be allowed to move on?

05-14-2013, 07:29 PM
alcoraces

This team does not, has never, and will never have the culture to win.

The Bruins needed a goal last night, and they put out 5 forwards and the biggest player they have. We needed a goal in New York in Game 3 and we put out Jack Hillen....

It will never change. The Caps are doomed to fail, each and every year. I have come to accept that.

And so has the team.

Old
05-14-2013, 07:37 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
What's the plan for Hendricks? Do you guys expect to hang onto him, or do you expect he'll be allowed to move on?
My guess is he'll be re-signed to a bloated contract ($1.5M or so).

Old
05-14-2013, 07:38 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcoraces View Post
This team does not, has never, and will never have the culture to win.

The Bruins needed a goal last night, and they put out 5 forwards and the biggest player they have. We needed a goal in New York in Game 3 and we put out Jack Hillen....

It will never change. The Caps are doomed to fail, each and every year. I have come to accept that.

And so has the team.
What you're describing has nothing to do with culture, and everything to do with roster quality.

Old
05-14-2013, 07:40 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
the capitals have never been profitable.

i hope there is a gm change though. for all you guys. when things dont change all you will have left is leonsis who wont be going anywhere.

honestly, my give a damn is broken. i dont really care anymore. ive been watching this for a long time.

my reasoning pushing back on the fire mcphee front is that it wont fix anything.

the caps as a franchise have built one hell of a boulder to push up the mountain. a lot of posters here dont give near the proper weight to the caps playoff rep actually presents.

its like you guys think if the cubs got a modern murders row of a lineup that they would win the world series. that they are the cubs carries no value. the cubs is what kills any good team they have.

the red sox gives the caps a chance, but its a tall mountain push a heavy boulder and its all in their head. you fix it by firing people? i dont think that changes things for the better. it just increases the pressure.
Do you honestly believe there's some invisible phenomenon that prevents the Caps from winning just because they're the Caps?

Old
05-14-2013, 07:44 PM
Langway
Proud Mediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I think he walks and they look for Volpatti and maybe Mitchell or another cheap depth UFA forward to fill his role. Outside of the PK he was pretty much invisible in the playoffs and he's not worth market rate.

Old
05-14-2013, 07:50 PM
alcoraces

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
What you're describing has nothing to do with culture, and everything to do with roster quality.
I have watched this team lose for 30 years. It has EVERYTHING to do with culture.

Old
05-14-2013, 07:55 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
I have watched this team lose for 30 years. It has EVERYTHING to do with culture.
The extra man situation has NOTHING to do with culture. It has to do with not having any additional skill to put on the ice.

Old
05-14-2013, 08:06 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
The difference is that the Bruins players knew that had they not stepped up they would have been inexcusable to their fans and local media. The Bruins' regular season leading scorer would have been 4th on the Caps in scoring, yet you have "fans" here pretending the Caps didn't have enough skill to score more than a goal in the last 120 minutes of the series.

Meanwhile in Washington, a good portion of the fanbase and media would accept any excuse for failure, going as far as coming up with them for the team (see the mindless "not enough skill" stupidity). There is such an emphasis on image over winning such that there is more effort put into silencing dissenting opinions than Game 7s.

Old
05-14-2013, 08:07 PM
txpd

Quote:
Do you honestly believe there's some invisible phenomenon that prevents the Caps from winning just because they're the Caps?
sure. its called human nature. my first car would overheat all the time and at the worst times. i still wont own a car without a water temp gauge and i watch it religously. when i get out of the car i always look back as i walk away to check for the drip.

my wife tried to turn left from a parking lot and got t boned by a car with a signal on that didnt turn. 10 years later turning left into traffic makes her nervous.

even if veteran caps players are only thinking that it wont happen again, they are thinking about it. this one thing threatens ovechkin's rep as a player every year and every year he losses to it and it gets worse. do you honestly believe that failure has no negative effect? you have seen the fall off in ovechkin's play after montreal. you have seen the confidence damage done to mike green and i'd say backstrom now. sure as hell the caps arent going anywhere with those players all not performing at the best. this season they got green to play well. 8 and 19 didnt deliver and they lost.

either ovechkin is horribly embarrassed or he doesnt care. my guess is that he can only handle so much embarrassment before he stops caring.

Old
05-14-2013, 08:15 PM
Chokingdogs

Quote:
The extra man situation has NOTHING to do with culture. It has to do with not having any additional skill to put on the ice.
yes, it does.

it's the makfi culture of roster building that leads to gaping holes, ergo - not enough on ice skill when/where the situation calls for it.

all one has to do is look at the D corps during makfi's tenure. not once has he ever traded for, or signed as a free agent, a legit top 4 d-man. especially one that's a physical, crease clearing, stay at home type.

shall i recite the list, starting with the fraud mironov?

Closed Thread