HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

CP article on Ken Klee waiting for a call

Closed Thread

Old
09-23-2003, 04:17 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

vCash: 500
CP article on Ken Klee waiting for a call

http://www.slam.ca/Slam030922/nhl_was-cp.html

At this point in time we've haven't found a proposal that has satisfied Ken's interest in both term and dollars," Thun said.

"Obviously we'd like an extended term and there were a few players who got three- and four-year deals earlier this summer. That would be the optimum -- but at this point in time that's not probably a reality."

Klee isn't willing to settle for a one-year deal despite his situation.

"We're still looking at a minimum two-year deal," Thun said. "Ken has a young family and would like to settle into a community where he would feel comfortable being for a few years."

Old
09-23-2003, 06:54 AM
wazee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob
http://www.slam.ca/Slam030922/nhl_was-cp.html

At this point in time we've haven't found a proposal that has satisfied Ken's interest in both term and dollars," Thun said.

"Obviously we'd like an extended term and there were a few players who got three- and four-year deals earlier this summer. That would be the optimum -- but at this point in time that's not probably a reality."

Klee isn't willing to settle for a one-year deal despite his situation.

"We're still looking at a minimum two-year deal," Thun said. "Ken has a young family and would like to settle into a community where he would feel comfortable being for a few years."
Since he is already settled in Morrison, I would love it if he would accept a 1 year deal with the Avs. He wouldn't have to uproot his family because they are already here. And a top 6 of Foote, Blake, Morris, Skoula, Skrastins, and Klee would be as good as any in the NHL.

Come on, Kroenke....Just a few dollars more...

Old
09-23-2003, 06:59 AM
HeHateMeFrisbee

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to HeHateMeFrisbee Send a message via Yahoo to HeHateMeFrisbee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazee
Since he is already settled in Morrison, I would love it if he would accept a 1 year deal with the Avs. He wouldn't have to uproot his family because they are already here. And a top 6 of Foote, Blake, Morris, Skoula, Skrastins, and Klee would be as good as any in the NHL.

No it wouldnt be. The Red Wings defense is far better than that.

Old
09-23-2003, 07:07 AM
Belgian Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazee

It would be a decent addition and would also make Skoula available to get our hands on a goaltender in a trade.
And I agree that this D looks pretty solid on paper...

But somehow I doubt that it would happen. For all we know PL still doesn't sign UFA's (unless they cal him and make him an offer he can't refuse). And I'm not sure if Kroenke will be willing to take on extra salary so early in the season.

Old
09-23-2003, 11:04 AM
c-carp

Klee should take a one year deal from a good team and worry about a long term deal after teh market sets itself again. It's better than sitting at home?

Old
09-23-2003, 11:19 AM
Kritty

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
Klee should take a one year deal from a good team and worry about a long term deal after teh market sets itself again. It's better than sitting at home?
Ouch, tell that to Ken Klee. After the new CBA is put in place, who knows what salaries will be like. I can guarantee that a depth dman like Klee wouldn't have a number of teams after him and offering more than a million a year like I'm sure he's getting offered now. Klee's one and only chance at big money is right now. After the CBA, Klee will be lucky if he can get a million a year.

Old
09-23-2003, 03:15 PM
NYR469

he wants a two year deal or longer but at what point do you decide that a 1 year deal is better than no deal at all?

Old
09-23-2003, 03:57 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
he wants a two year deal or longer but at what point do you decide that a 1 year deal is better than no deal at all?
This is important information when talking about Ken Klee. He was the Washington Capitals NHLPA player rep. I have no clue what his labor politics are like. But, if he is a hard liner, then there is no way that these GM's and Owners will want him around past the end of this season.
He turned down 3 years at $2m per from the Capitals. Klee as a player rep is not going to take the pipe to get a job, then encourage other players to strike for an entire season. So, he is limited somewhat by his position with the union. See my point?

Old
09-23-2003, 11:58 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Yes. Taken in that context, and depending on one's point of view, Klee is noble union man taking a bullet for his brethren. Or a target of the owners, a pointed example to the NHLPA of what it should expect (hardball) moving forward toward the expiration of the CBA.

Or both.

Old
09-24-2003, 12:25 AM
Spiffy

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob
"Ken has a young family and would like to settle into a community where he would feel comfortable being for a few years." [/I]
We can scratch the Red Wings off the list just kidding...

Old
09-24-2003, 12:37 AM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritty
Ouch, tell that to Ken Klee. After the new CBA is put in place, who knows what salaries will be like. I can guarantee that a depth dman like Klee wouldn't have a number of teams after him and offering more than a million a year like I'm sure he's getting offered now. Klee's one and only chance at big money is right now. After the CBA, Klee will be lucky if he can get a million a year.
I understand your point, but it appears to me that teams arent exactly falling all over themselfes to sign him now. he just became a UFA at the wrong time. Take the best one year deal you can, it is still better than sitting at home?

Old
09-24-2003, 12:38 AM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
This is important information when talking about Ken Klee. He was the Washington Capitals NHLPA player rep. I have no clue what his labor politics are like. But, if he is a hard liner, then there is no way that these GM's and Owners will want him around past the end of this season.
He turned down 3 years at $2m per from the Capitals. Klee as a player rep is not going to take the pipe to get a job, then encourage other players to strike for an entire season. So, he is limited somewhat by his position with the union. See my point?
Absolutely, I didnt know he was a player rep.

Old
09-24-2003, 06:33 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

he's missing training camp
his conditioning will be off.

he'll have to give in to a 1yr deal soon

the hard part will be explaining it to his wife.

"oh honey...

Old
09-25-2003, 04:16 AM
btmarshall

vCash:
He'll wait until a team that was already thin loses a top-three defenseman and needs a band-aid, and quick. He might not get two years, but he should be able to get at least a solid one-year deal. There's really no rush for him. Demand is still there for good defensive defenseman, and time is only going to make teams more desperate for what he can provide.

Old
09-25-2003, 05:46 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by btmarshall
He'll wait until a team that was already thin loses a top-three defenseman and needs a band-aid, and quick. He might not get two years, but he should be able to get at least a solid one-year deal. There's really no rush for him. Demand is still there for good defensive defenseman, and time is only going to make teams more desperate for what he can provide.
From reports Klee has turned down solid one year deals with Toronto and with Atlanta. He has apparantly moved his family away from Washington where it made the most sense to grab a one year deal.
He is in the same position as hold out players. Out of camp and behind schedule. Hold out players often have reduced effectiveness. Why sign a guy to a one year deal that will spend all season catching up?
I he needs to get into camp soon if he wants to play. The report out of Toronto was he turned down one year at better than $2.5m. He won't get better than that. I think Klee is prepared to get a deal he likes or retire. I think that putting up that +22 did as much harm as good for Klee. It made him look like a much more valuable defenseman than the role player that he had been up til last year. I think he is more #5/6 defenseman than a #1 pair defenseman and most teams are that interested in him at more than $1m

Old
09-25-2003, 08:30 AM
btmarshall

vCash:
He's nowhere near retiring. You are completely speculating. Nowhere in any of the reports that have come out has he hinted that he would retire. He has laid out his preference and his reasons. That's his right, as he's a free agent. In time he will lower his demands for dollars or length if the market does not support what he is seeking, but to suggest that he'll retire over this is unfounded. In such a scenario, he would be disappointed but still have to accept a lesser offer. He hasn't exactly been earning money hand over fist throughout his career. He's a hockey player, this is what he does best, and Klee has six or seven productive years left in him. To suggest he'd retire over a bout of petulance is not based in anything he has stated to date.

As for the Caps, he left because the team was rudderless and he wanted out. Any offer from the team was secondary.

Old
09-25-2003, 08:52 AM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
From reports Klee has turned down solid one year deals with Toronto and with Atlanta. He has apparantly moved his family away from Washington where it made the most sense to grab a one year deal.
He is in the same position as hold out players. Out of camp and behind schedule. Hold out players often have reduced effectiveness. Why sign a guy to a one year deal that will spend all season catching up?
I he needs to get into camp soon if he wants to play. The report out of Toronto was he turned down one year at better than $2.5m. He won't get better than that. I think Klee is prepared to get a deal he likes or retire. I think that putting up that +22 did as much harm as good for Klee. It made him look like a much more valuable defenseman than the role player that he had been up til last year. I think he is more #5/6 defenseman than a #1 pair defenseman and most teams are that interested in him at more than $1m
If he turned down better than 2.5 on TO he or his agent are out of their minds.

Closed Thread