HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The James Reimer conundrum

Old
05-17-2013, 01:09 PM
Igy

vCash: 500
Either get a veteran backup or a young unproven goaltender with high potential to play with Reimer. Going out and trading the farm or key players for a proven #1 would be silly.

Igy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 02:11 PM
Alflives*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
I agree. Get Reimer to work on rebound control and puck handling....but more importantly, shore up the D so they can clear the zone and keep the shots against down and we are fine.
The Bruins v Leafs series was very even. The difference was in 4/7 games Rask was better than Reimer, at the most important times. I really thought the Leafs were going to win that series, even when down 1 game to 3.

Alflives* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 09:41 PM
HellasLEAF
Auston 20:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITM View Post
I'll tell ya...I haven't seen this kind of top to bottom cohesion, with such a young club in Toronto...Ever...

Bright days ahead.
agreed!!

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 09:42 PM
HellasLEAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I said it earlier, but the conversation about Reimer is a little bit concerning, to be honest. Not that I don't have faith in Reimer after this season, because he showed some flashes of brilliance, mettle under pressure and whatnot in that brief series, but with top end goalies, the conversation usually doesn't involve some systematic flaw in their game like "he can't catch a puck". But whatever, it's a work in progress and you can win a cup with a Patrick Roy or an Antti Niemi.

On the other hand, how ****** did it feel watching Tuukka Rask out there? The guy is like a technically perfect goalie as you'll see and he has ice in his veins.
yup. although Reimer will only improve and get better with experience, and could even Mirror a Rask one day, Rask was the difference for them. Technically perfect, yup. Ice Water, yup.

Old
05-18-2013, 02:29 AM
The Big D

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post
yup. although Reimer will only improve and get better with experience, and could even Mirror a Rask one day, Rask was the difference for them. Technically perfect, yup. Ice Water, yup.
Did Andrew raycroft get better? How bout Jim Carey? Dan cloutier? Just because your young doesn't mean automatically you'll get better. I hate that assumption. There's a lot of holes in his game and I think he'll be hard pressed to overcome them all in a consistant basis to be able to play at the level a championship team needs their goalie to play.

The Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 02:42 AM
ITM
As Long As It Takes

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big D View Post
Did Andrew raycroft get better? How bout Jim Carey? Dan cloutier? Just because your young doesn't mean automatically you'll get better. I hate that assumption. There's a lot of holes in his game and I think he'll be hard pressed to overcome them all in a consistant basis to be able to play at the level a championship team needs their goalie to play.
Seemed to overcome a few obstacles though: Top glove, athletecism...And he regained that battle-form he had when he first broke in.

Have to remember, he brought the club back for the chance to play a series for one shot. I take those odds and that third period 99 times out of 100 with James Reimer in net.

Besides...Now we get to watch him take that next step...

Revenge.

ITM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 02:56 AM
HellasLEAF

First ever playoff series experience. He'll get better. 100%

Old
05-18-2013, 10:00 AM
Hounsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big D View Post
Did Philly fix their goalie situation going out and getting a recent vezina nominated Bryzgalov? Going with Reimer represents a degree of gamble for the organization no doubt but what option doesn't? Luo? Smith? etc all bring their own questions to the table, otherwise they wouldn't be on the table.

Hounsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 10:14 AM
CreeksideStrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYayo View Post
I'm actually at a loss right now thinking about what to think of him.
I'll be the first to say he had a great year overall this year and without him we would have not been in OT of a Game Seven this year.
I was a big skeptic of him ever since he first got the call up and played out of his mind the last half of the year his first season in the league...then thinking I was correct with my assumption seeing how bad he played last year.

Looking back at this playoffs..You can recall how he stands on his head in games 5 and 6..but can also remember The Game 4 OT goal and then the last night collapse.

My point is..Do any of you feel the same way I do? That he'll always be the guy who has the ability to play great..but I never quite trust..(Rebound Control..eek)

Do you think he's a guy we could actually win a cup with?
Would we be in the second round right now with an Elite Goalie?
He was not bad last year, the team was terrible. This year he was able to show his consistancy. None of the losses were his fault.. he stole many games this year as well

CreeksideStrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 10:15 AM
CreeksideStrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
The Bruins v Leafs series was very even. The difference was in 4/7 games Rask was better than Reimer, at the most important times. I really thought the Leafs were going to win that series, even when down 1 game to 3.
I disagree. The bruins are a much better team. Reimer is the only reason we got to game 7

CreeksideStrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 11:45 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Get him better equipment.

It is kind of shocking that the puck comes out of his catcher as much as it does.

Maybe he should spend some time playing catch this summer.

The New York Rangers are the most valuable NHL franchise at $1.2 billion, taking the top spot on the Forbes list for the first time since 2004.

The magazine said Tuesday that Montreal is second at $1.18 billion, followed by Toronto at $1.15 billion.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 11:49 AM
Smif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Get him better equipment.

It is kind of shocking that the puck comes out of his catcher as much as it does.

Maybe he should spend some time playing catch this summer.
This exactly, softer equipment for absorbing the puck. Stiffer equipment for sending pucks to the corners (obviously not working).

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 12:00 PM
Liferleafer
Low expectations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
I politely disagree. If this series was even, it was because the Bruins didn't play well. When the Bruins were down by a goal (or 3) and decided to push, they totally owned us and in the process revealed our flaws. They forechecked at will, our D couldn't clear. They won close to 70% of the faceoffs including 7 straight in the third, in our end in game 7. I think you are being a little unfair in saying Rask out played Reimer, in game 7 Rask was LOSING the game 4-1, that doesn't exactly scream stellar goaltending. Rask did nor steal any games in the series...Reimer stole 2 (5 and 6).

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 12:04 PM
habsfanatics*

Reimer was the main reason the leafs even made the playoffs, great year, arguably top 5 in the league this year, whether he can consistently perform at this level remains to be seen.

habsfanatics* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 12:06 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
I politely disagree. If this series was even, it was because the Bruins didn't play well. When the Bruins were down by a goal (or 3) and decided to push, they totally owned us and in the process revealed our flaws. They forechecked at will, our D couldn't clear. They won close to 70% of the faceoffs including 7 straight in the third, in our end in game 7. I think you are being a little unfair in saying Rask out played Reimer, in game 7 Rask was LOSING the game 4-1, that doesn't exactly scream stellar goaltending. Rask did nor steal any games in the series...Reimer stole 2 (5 and 6).
I said in another post/thread, I think the difference in the series was face-offs.

Leafs always chasing after face-offs, and the Bruins always owning the puck after face-offs for 7 straight games.

One is easier than the other and impact accumulates.

Old
05-18-2013, 01:32 PM
Antropovsky

Quote:
It's not when they decided to push, it was when the leafs coaching staff decided to have the team play to protect the lead and not attack. It lost us both game 4 and game 7. When the leafs were attacking to score, the bruins were too, but the leafs speed and forechecking picked the bruins slow team apart. We were much faster then them, and more physical.

We lost because we sat back and waited for them, and because we couldn't win a faceoff. Oh and it seemed like the leafs didn't have a clue of a system arranged for defending a 6-5.

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 03:01 PM
ponder

Reimer has been in the league 3 years, and in 2 of those years he had a pretty awful team in front of him. Here's Reimer's stats, as well as our record over the same period without Reimer:

With Reimer: 53-32-14 (a pace of 99.4 pts/82 games)
Without Reimer: 45-56-12 (a pace of 74.0 pts/82 games)

99 points is a solid playoff team, while 74 points is one of the worst teams in the league. It's amazing that with Reimer in net we've actually been putting up points like a solid playoff team over the past 3 years, when you consider how weak the team was for 2 of those years. He's been very good for us, and I think it's a no-brainer to keep rolling with him. If he ever truly falters, we can address it at that point, but he played very well all year, and is looking like a solid starter.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 11:41 AM
marquee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITM View Post
Seemed to overcome a few obstacles though: Top glove, athletecism...And he regained that battle-form he had when he first broke in.

Have to remember, he brought the club back for the chance to play a series for one shot. I take those odds and that third period 99 times out of 100 with James Reimer in net.

Besides...Now we get to watch him take that next step...

Revenge.

I think we can all agree Reimer has never in his career single handedly stolen a game. It was a team effort that got us back in this series. Timely scoring, forechecking and the defense clearing bad rebounds and blocking shots. The system limited Boston to perimeter shots where Reimer could see the puck his issue was rebounds he'd lose track of.

The glove hand is still an issue and that battle form isn't an improvement if he already had it. Frankly doe no need to battle if you can track the puck.

Even elite goalies peak early its not really a knock on Reimer very few make big jumps afterwards.

marquee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 11:43 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marquee View Post
I think we can all agree Reimer has never in his career single handedly stolen a game. It was a team effort that got us back in this series. Timely scoring, forechecking and the defense clearing bad rebounds and blocking shots. The system limited Boston to perimeter shots where Reimer could see the puck his issue was rebounds he'd lose track of.

The glove hand is still an issue and that battle form isn't an improvement if he already had it. Frankly doe no need to battle if you can track the puck.

Even elite goalies peak early its not really a knock on Reimer very few make big jumps afterwards.
IIRC Reimer was the 2nd. youngest goaltender in the top 10 save percentage this year.

Old
05-19-2013, 11:49 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:

Regardless of his flaws if he can save 92% of all shots that no other goalie has proven capable in a leafs jersey does it really matter?

The Podium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 12:14 PM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:

I can wholeheartedly disagree with that.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 12:17 PM
Offspring

Quote:
Originally Posted by egd27 View Post
I can wholeheartedly disagree with that.
Agreed. This year alone, in recent memory, he stole games 5 & 6 and our last game vs. New Jersey was all Reimer.

Offspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 12:22 PM
OpenNetSniper

Reimer is far from the issue. I'm confident in him improving for next season..not like rebound control can't be learnt. Improving the D is muuuch more of a priority.

OpenNetSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 12:29 PM
Joey Hoser

Quote:
I think we can all agree Reimer has never in his career single handedly stolen a game.
Nope. He stole games 5 & 6 IMO, and there was another game late in the season where he got a 40-something save shutout I'd call a steal.

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 12:38 PM
The Reaper
Men of Mayhem

vCash: 50
Quote:

What? He has stolen tons of games for us in his career, only blind haters would say he hasn't

The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote