HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ben Scrivens

Old
01-30-2014, 07:49 PM
sandhu111

vCash: 500
Ben Scrivens

Im just wondering if anyone else thinks the same thing when listening to his interviews that he may not want to commit to being here. Just speculation on my part but he just sounds like he doesnt want to be here long term, hes more like yeaaa well seee , you never know whats gonna happen... is it just me?

sandhu111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 07:59 PM
ohheyhemsky

vCash: 50
I know what you're getting at and his demeanor does seem a bit standoffish to the media, but I'm guess more than anything that that's just his normal personality.

I remember hearing that he wanted to try and get another contract here when he was traded.

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 08:06 PM
sandhu111

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
I know what you're getting at and his demeanor does seem a bit standoffish to the media, but I'm guess more than anything that that's just his normal personality.

I remember hearing that he wanted to try and get another contract here when he was traded.
yeah I'm not trying to make something out of nothing its just something i noticed in his interviews, like on the nhl live interview today they asked him if he looked at this trade and was like this is a great opportunity to come here since edmonton needs a goalie and he kinda said yeaaa u try not to think about it to much u never know whats going to happen with trades, signings and stuff.. i was like okkk so ur not excited lol

Old
01-30-2014, 08:10 PM
SephF
[b][/b]

If you were a relatively inexperienced goaltender trying to make a name for yourself would you want to sign in Edmonton to play behind our defense?

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 08:11 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

His demeanor is somebody trying not to get carried away with things, not to get too high, too low, and to remain in the right area of focus. This is very much who this player is. Very focused and not letting things be distractions. He's here, he's a pro, and his commitment is to be the best he can be in net. Theres plenty of time for the talk, and contracts and offers and stuff when the games aren't happening.

Right now he wants a job and to show himself in the best light. He's awesomesauce, he's here.

Stop worrying.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 08:12 PM
Joey Moss

vCash: 815
I've gotten the same impression from listening to him with the media but that's likely his personality. He seems kind of odd.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 08:12 PM
sandhu111

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
If you were a relatively inexperienced goaltender trying to make a name for yourself would you want to sign in Edmonton to play behind our defense?
probably not but I'm an oilers fan so I'm just trying to get a read on him for our sakes that we didn't just waste a 3rd on him and he's just gonna leave at the end of the season

Old
01-30-2014, 08:13 PM
yukoner88

vCash: 198
for the love of pete you guys jump on the "he wants out of here" wagon waaaaaay to fast

yukoner88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 08:15 PM
sandhu111

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner88 View Post
for the love of pete you guys jump on the "he wants out of here" wagon waaaaaay to fast
im not on the wagon like it says in the title its just speculation after seeing his interviews, i could easily be off base and it seems like he does have a different type of personality so might be hard to get a read on him anyways

Old
01-30-2014, 08:15 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Hey playing behind a lousy team worked to hide Dubs wrinkles from org scrutiny.

The guy wants a job. Damn straight he'd rather be a starter here than a backup on some contender club. This guy looks to be a real competitor and its his primetime. I suspect this is getting attractive for him here.

Plus in recent games its looked like he's done fine behind our D. So has Bryz. As long as the boys battle in front, and I mean the whole club, well be easier to backstop.

Old
01-30-2014, 08:17 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
I've gotten the same impression from listening to him with the media but that's likely his personality. He seems kind of odd.
He's a goaltender, jebus, go out drinking with a few sometime.

Old
SometimesY

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhu111 View Post
probably not but I'm an oilers fan so I'm just trying to get a read on him for our sakes that we didn't just waste a 3rd on him and he's just gonna leave at the end of the season
Getting the same vibe. He just has never seemed too excited to get the 'opportunity' to play here. Maybe this is a bargaining strategy?

SometimesY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
oiler-dude

Our goalies are Bryzgalov and Scrivens, and people think Scrivens is the weird standoffish one with the media?!

My bet is Scrivens is a guy who just got traded twice in 7 months, so he is probably serious when he says you never know what's going to happen...

oiler-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 08:21 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SometimesY View Post
Getting the same vibe. He just has never seemed too excited to get the 'opportunity' to play here. Maybe this is a bargaining strategy?
he's so unexcited he circled the rink about 3 times in his first star skate lastnight while waving to the fans, smiling from ear to ear and loving every minute of it.

Yes I think he likes it here. I think he's playing like he likes it here and wants to be here. You know, like just playing a legendary heroic game in front of the home crowd that probably means he's wanting to impress org, fans, team, etc.

Yeah, he's making an impression and quite clearly because he wants to be here.

Also, when he emphasizes the team instead of his accomplishment he's being PART of team and WANTING to be accepted and part of team.

lol the team recognized how much he wants it to as they gave him 15secs of awkward silence when he entered the room postgame. To make him think he did something wrong

Scrivens loves it here so far. Don't kid yourself.

Old
01-30-2014, 08:21 PM
sandhu111

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler-dude View Post
Our goalies are Bryzgalov and Scrivens, and people think Scrivens is the weird standoffish one with the media?!

My bet is Scrivens is a guy who just got traded twice in 7 months, so he is probably serious when he says you never know what's going to happen...
yea possibly and he seems like a guy that doesn't like to count his chickens before there hatched

Old
01-30-2014, 08:23 PM
sandhu111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
he's so unexcited he circled the rink about 3 times in his first star skate lastnight while waving to the fans, smiling from ear to ear and loving every minute of it.

Yes I think he likes it here. I think he's playing like he likes it here and wants to be here. You know, like just playing a legendary heroic game in front of the home crowd that probably means he's wanting to impress org, fans, team, etc.

Yeah, he's making an impression and quite clearly because he wants to be here.

Also, when he emphasizes the team instead of his accomplishment he's being PART of team and WANTING to be accepted and part of team.

lol the team recognized how much he wants it to as they gave him 15secs of awkward silence when he entered the room postgame. To make him think he did something wrong

i hope so because i really like his playing style, he looks like a young dwayne in there

Old
01-30-2014, 08:25 PM
JoeCool16

Kind of scary that we won't see him really that many times before trade deadline, and once that comes and goes he holds the cards. Still, there are some good goalie options out there this offseason. If he wants out we can probably find someone else, and he may not because he knows it's a fairly crowded market.

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 08:34 PM
SometimesY

Right after trade he said, "It was a little bit of a shock. I definitely didn't anticipate it but, I'd be lying if I said it wasn't something I was hoping for." That is from his Jan 16 interview. Not sure if he meant returning home or the chance to get a starting position. And he still has to begin negotiations so he can't display all his cards.

SometimesY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 08:36 PM
Mr Positive

vCash: 2000
I highly doubt we trade him at the deadline.

It's not the right time to negotiate his next contract. There's lots of hockey to be played, and he will get a fair number. Hopefully he gets signed for more than one year.

Mr Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 08:42 PM
Del Preston
1,000 Brown M&M's

vCash: 50
I hope you don't mind me putting this in here. It doesn't mean anything towards whether he will be back next year but I didn't want to make another Scrivens thread.

Vaughn Hockey tweeted this earlier today:

Vaughn Custom Sports ‏@VaughnHockey
Nice work @scrivens_30 ! 59 save shutout...prob worth a new set of pillows, here you go! pic.twitter.com/ylEIuSiEPD

https://twitter.com/VaughnHockey/sta...16106036645889

Del Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 09:25 PM
JoeCool16

Might not mean much, but it certainly looks better on him coming back than him wearing Kings gear for the rest of the season Although will he really want to switch up his pads after last night?

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 09:38 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhu111 View Post
waste a 3rd
LOL, what are the chances that the Oilers would develop a 3rd round draft pick into an impact player? 1/30?

We have a far better chance of signing Scrivens, and after last night he can be traded for more than a 3rd at the deadline.

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 09:53 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
It has to mean a lot to him to get a chance at the #1 spot. He played well in TO and didn't get rewarded for it and then played well in LA and didn't get rewarded for it. It has to leave a bit of a bitter taste in his mouth.

Now of all the teams in the league the Oilers were the ones to make a trade for him and give him a shot. I can't really see why he wouldn't feel some loyalty to the team and he obviously would have grown up an Oilers fan in Spruce Grove.

I lived there when the Oilers first came into the league and even back then it wasn't a place where there were tons of people still loyal to the original 6 teams, or the previous expansion teams. It was all Oilers from the get-go.

Fuhr wasn't the only local connection to the Oilers from Spruce Grove either, Mark Messier (and his brother Paul) played for the Mets back before they became the ST Albert Saints.

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 10:10 PM
Soundwave

I'd like to see him stay, but the fact of the matter is he's a UFA and if he continues to play well, he'll probably have a few options in the summer.

If he performs well going forward I'm sure we'll put together a very fair offer.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 10:16 PM
Tw0Shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
It has to mean a lot to him to get a chance at the #1 spot. He played well in TO and didn't get rewarded for it and then played well in LA and didn't get rewarded for it. It has to leave a bit of a bitter taste in his mouth.

Now of all the teams in the league the Oilers were the ones to make a trade for him and give him a shot. I can't really see why he wouldn't feel some loyalty to the team and he obviously would have grown up an Oilers fan in Spruce Grove.

I lived there when the Oilers first came into the league and even back then it wasn't a place where there were tons of people still loyal to the original 6 teams, or the previous expansion teams. It was all Oilers from the get-go.

Fuhr wasn't the only local connection to the Oilers from Spruce Grove either, Mark Messier (and his brother Paul) played for the Mets back before they became the ST Albert Saints.
Wasn't Mess's dad the coach of that team?

Tw0Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote