HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Arena Thread: Rogers Place? Yawn...

Closed Thread

Old
09-13-2013, 05:10 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 3251
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle View Post
Some interesting information has just come my way regarding the arena deal and how a potential Kerry Diotte victory could **potentially** see the deal scrapped. Even though Kerry has not officially stated that he will try and scrap the deal, possibly afraid of losing swing votes of the "for" arena people, he will if elected go through the signed deal with a "fine tooth comb" to look for loopholes which would allow him to go back to Katz group and ask for more money.

Take it for what its worth. The info came from a rather high ranking civic employee.
Diotte might be the first mayor that actually drives people out of the City.

Old
09-13-2013, 05:14 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Some interesting information has just come my way regarding the arena deal and how a potential Kerry Diotte victory could **potentially** see the deal scrapped. Even though Kerry has not officially stated that he will try and scrap the deal, possibly afraid of losing swing votes of the "for" arena people, he will if elected go through the signed deal with a "fine tooth comb" to look for loopholes which would allow him to go back to Katz group and ask for more money.

Take it for what its worth. The info came from a rather high ranking civic employee.
I have a hard time figuring out from that how what was actually stated by somebody in quotes relates to the premise at hand.

Also I doubt Kerry would lose many votes from the Arena faction. I don't know that many pro arena people would be voting for him.

Old
09-13-2013, 05:14 PM
T-Funk

If Diotte loses, he will try to sue someone for approximately 2 million dollars because that's what he does when things don't go his way.

Old
09-13-2013, 05:15 PM
Del McPreston
5-14-6-1

vCash: 319
It just never ends.

Old
09-13-2013, 05:19 PM
MoneyGuy

A mayor has no power to do this. He can try, but only council can make any decisions.

#anybodybutdiotte

Old
09-13-2013, 05:22 PM
molsonmuscle360

vCash: 50
Edmonton would be the dumbest city in Alberta if they elected Diotte as mayor. If he had his way, all of Edmonton's money would be used to keep the city exactly the way it is. No improvements, just repairing anything that breaks.

Old
09-13-2013, 05:22 PM
SerbianEagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I have a hard time figuring out from that how what was actually stated by somebody in quotes relates to the premise at hand.

Also I doubt Kerry would lose many votes from the Arena faction. I don't know that many pro arena people would be voting for him.
It answers the "why" question. That's all. Considering I've spent most of my time in Europe in the last couple of years, I haven't commented much on the arena deal. I am on the pro arena side, because the team needs it. The funding model I am not too familiar with, but usually every city that builds one, gets taken to the cleaners or loses the team.

I simply shared some interesting info regarding the civic election and how the result of it could impact the deal. That's all

Old
09-13-2013, 05:27 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
A mayor has no power to do this. He can try, but only council can make any decisions.

#anybodybutdiotte
Exactly. And for somebody who is so staunchly against spending he would be setting the city up for some significant lawsuits by attempting to back out of this final and binding deal.

Old
09-13-2013, 05:34 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
It answers the "why" question. That's all. Considering I've spent most of my time in Europe in the last couple of years, I haven't commented much on the arena deal. I am on the pro arena side, because the team needs it. The funding model I am not too familiar with, but usually every city that builds one, gets taken to the cleaners or loses the team.

I simply shared some interesting info regarding the civic election and how the result of it could impact the deal. That's all
I'm just saying the following is not at all clear from your post:

1) Who is Source

2) What exactly did source quote Diotte as stating. (The way you posted it is unclear)

3) What part of the post is hearsay.

4)How does the quoted info match the premise that is not quoted. (Again due to the post being confusing)

I know the want here on the board is to jump to conclusion hear on this and burn Diotte in effigy but theres really no information here.

Old
09-13-2013, 05:40 PM
SerbianEagle

Quote:
I'm just saying the following is not at all clear from your post:

1) Who is Source

2) What exactly did source quote Diotte as stating. (The way you posted it is unclear)

3) What part of your post is hearsay.

4)How does the quoted info match the premise that is not quoted. (Again due to the post being confusing)

I know the want here on the board is to jump to conclusion hear on this and burn Diotte in effigy but theres really no information here.
1. You seriously expect me (or anyone) to name someone I had a conversation with on a public forum? Like I said, its a fairly high ranking city employee. If you believe it, or not, really does not concern me. Its a choice. Cheers!

2. The quoted is one interesting part I got from the conversation, the city employee telling me. No more, no less. Cool?

3. I heard it from someone, posted it here as I figured some people might be interested. Hearsay? Its up to you and how you see it. Not about to get into an argument with you.

4. Explained already

Old
09-13-2013, 05:43 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
1. You seriously expect me (or anyone) to name someone I had a conversation with on a public forum? Like I said, its a fairly high ranking city employee. If you believe it, or not, really does not concern me. Its a choice. Cheers!

2. The quoted is one interesting part I got from the conversation, the city employee telling me. No more, no less. Cool?

3. I heard it from someone, posted it here as I figured some people might be interested. Hearsay? Its up to you and how you see it. Not about to get into an argument with you.

4. Explained already
Not trying to argue. Trying to quantify. Could you go over your post then and actually tell us which part is a quote and which is your synopsis on what the quote means. Because as written the quoted piece isn't saying much of anything.

As far as not revealing sources some might not be very credible. its always a valid question.

Old
09-13-2013, 05:48 PM
SerbianEagle

Quote:
Not trying to argue. Trying to quantify. Could you go over your post then and actually tell us which part is a quote and which is your synopsis on what the quote means. Because as written the quoted piece isn't saying much of anything.

As far as not revealing sources some might not be very credible. its always a valid question.
The quoted part answered my question of "why would he open up that can of worms again"...According to this individual, it has more to do with a grudge against Mandell than anything else. Again, just what I heard, no more, no less

Old
09-13-2013, 05:53 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
The quoted part answered my question of "why would he open up that can of worms again"...According to this individual, it has more to do with a grudge against Mandell than anything else. Again, just what I heard, no more, no less
Well, thanks for answering. We look at information differently then. The quoted portion is nothing but conjecture and does match or support the conclusion. No worries, just stating.

As information goes theres nothing much to see here. People can read into it what they want but its unsupported conjecture from an unknown source.

Old
09-13-2013, 05:56 PM
Al Cappuccino
Craig's on it

Quote:

Diotte is free to do whatever he wants, but if he was mayor, he can't just decide that the arena's not going to get built. He's but one tie breaking vote in a city council which actually supports having a downtown arena.

Btw, it's a really stupid idea NOT to build the arena with all the time and public money we put into doing all the designs and concepts and planning.

But... whether or not Katz is the right developer for this project is another story...

Old
09-13-2013, 06:09 PM
Al Cappuccino
Craig's on it

Quote:
Well, thanks for answering. We look at information differently then. The quoted portion is nothing but conjecture and does match or support the conclusion. No worries, just stating.

As information goes theres nothing much to see here. People can read into it what they want but its unsupported conjecture from an unknown source.
Yeah, with access to my own "high ranking civic employees" as far as they know the arena's going to happen anyways. Unfortunately I can't talk to Diotte directly, so I don't know what he intends or not intends to do, but as I stated before, there's 12 councilors as well as a mayor, and the Councillors listen very closely to the citizens. If the citizens keep yapping to their Councillors about how much they love the arena and how much they love Katz, the arena will be built regardless of how Diotte feels.

Old
09-13-2013, 06:12 PM
Al Cappuccino
Craig's on it

also, it looks like Leibovici and Iverson are running with similar platforms while Diotte is running with one almost on the opposite end. This means the Leibovici and Iverson MAY end up splitting votes leading to Diotte becoming the next mayor.

Old
09-13-2013, 06:18 PM
Al Cappuccino
Craig's on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
Edmonton would be the dumbest city in Alberta if they elected Diotte as mayor. If he had his way, all of Edmonton's money would be used to keep the city exactly the way it is. No improvements, just repairing anything that breaks.
that's what some people want though (I'm not one of them of course). There are those that live in Edmonton because it has a small city feel but has the amenities of a big city. Doing things like building an arena or a $300M museum or a big ring road (provincial but still) or building towers or overpasses takes away from the small city feel.

Old
09-13-2013, 06:18 PM
Tarus
#Craigsnotonit

Quote:
One gets the impression THIS owner WOULD have traded the team to Toronto owner Harold Ballard back in the 80's.

Pock had that offer on the table several times. Gets vilified for trading Gretz, sure, but could've traded the entire club for money. Never put the team in Houston or anywhere either.

Katz has actually actively courted this nature of bs and used it as leverage to rob the city for a new rink. This being while having one of the most profitable clubs in the league.

Pocks got **** all over because he wanted a better deal and some renos at his rink. Katz wanted a whole new rink bought and paid for or he's not playing. lol
Pocklington tried to trade the Oilers with the leafs, it was Ballard who backed out. In his own words - http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...ed_cities.html

He also did sell it to a owner in Houston. The only thing that prevented a move was a clause the city pushed for when Pocklington was blackmailing them over arena renovations, not any kind of restraint or loyalty to the city on Pocklington's part.

Old
09-13-2013, 06:26 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Pocklington tried to trade the Oilers with the leafs, it was Ballard who backed out. In his own words - http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...ed_cities.html

He also did sell it to a owner in Houston. The only thing that prevented a move was a clause the city pushed for when Pocklington was blackmailing them over arena renovations, not any kind of restraint or loyalty to the city on Pocklington's part.
Its nonsense anyway. Pretty much talk. Not sure how Pocklington was going to be paying anybody 50M in any case.

Old
09-13-2013, 06:31 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

This is all bluster and dirty pool on Diotte's part anyway just like the "Diotte or Detroit" crap.

The vast majority of the people who are voting for him truly believe that he can scuttle the arena deal so why not play it up?

Old
09-13-2013, 06:33 PM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post
Diotte is free to do whatever he wants, but if he was mayor, he can't just decide that the arena's not going to get built. He's but one tie breaking vote in a city council which actually supports having a downtown arena.

Btw, it's a really stupid idea NOT to build the arena with all the time and public money we put into doing all the designs and concepts and planning.

But... whether or not Katz is the right developer for this project is another story...
Id have more faith in Katz if he didnt hire the key people in the organization & on this project, architects and more, on the basis that they were his buddies when he was a kid.
How that guy puts people in those key positions, in a multi, multi million dollar development/business absolutely boggles the mind.

Old
09-13-2013, 06:33 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post
also, it looks like Leibovici and Iverson are running with similar platforms while Diotte is running with one almost on the opposite end. This means the Leibovici and Iverson MAY end up splitting votes leading to Diotte becoming the next mayor.
Yup. This is what frightens me. Leibovici and Iveson have been extremely underwhelming in their campaigns thus far. Diotte has militant supporters who are bent on voting for him no matter what.

If Diotte is elected mayor I'm done with this town. I'll get out of here as soon as possible.

Old
09-13-2013, 06:35 PM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
Its nonsense anyway. Pretty much talk. Not sure how Pocklington was going to be paying anybody 50M in any case.
Ah, Houston?
Why you defend that unethical, dishonest criminal is disturbing.

Old
09-13-2013, 06:39 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybaroo View Post
Ah, Houston?
Why you defend that unethical, dishonest criminal is disturbing.
I don't really. At the time I found him abhorent. But in time I've tended to realize its the nature of the species when it comes to sports owners.

If you can find me an honest altruistic soul in the bunch let me know.

In anycase Katz has easily looked worse in his tenure.

Old
09-13-2013, 06:42 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Way too political folks. Let's cut it out, please. Further discussion about the election will be removed.

Closed Thread