HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Arena Thread: Rogers Place? Yawn...

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2013, 05:42 PM
Dabomb

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler-dude View Post
From a guy who gets a lot of stuff right, over on Skyscraper Page, this is apparently the breakdown for what Phase 1 of the development is. More than I was expecting, awesome!

- 45-50 storey condo with many smaller type units.
I love that some of these new proposed towers are starting to get taller and taller. Edm is starting to grow up

Old
12-02-2013, 05:44 PM
Oscar Acosta
I'm So Fancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
Any one know what is going up between scotia place and the BMO building on 101 and about 102 st. Can't seem to find it any where, they knocked down a old building that use to be there. Right on rice howard way.

sorry, differnt topic, but can't find it any where.
Just another office tower, but they're rebuilding the building that was there as a façade and doing it brick by brick after it burned down.

Old
12-02-2013, 05:52 PM
okgooil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Acosta View Post
Just another office tower, but they're rebuilding the building that was there as a façade and doing it brick by brick after it burned down.

Nice idea. I was saying that to a friend, that it was a nice old building. I like the idea, architecturally of having the old buildings still as the facades. Adds a nice touch I think.

Old
12-02-2013, 05:59 PM
Oscar Acosta
I'm So Fancy

Agreed, looks nice from the street level and preserves history of the area as much as possible with a growing city. Which Edmonton didn't do enough of in past decades.

Old
12-02-2013, 07:40 PM
EgoEakins

If tomorrow's announcement, will involve any naming of the new arena.. We should try to guess what the name will be..
My guess is Rogers Place....or Rogers Palace....

I Think Katz Kastle is on the back burner..

Old
12-02-2013, 09:17 PM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

Announcement will be the arena is a 25,000 seater. Katz states "Yolo" and then leaves to not give his son a haircut.

Exciting future for downtown Edmonton.

Old
12-02-2013, 09:58 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
I love that some of these new proposed towers are starting to get taller and taller. Edm is starting to grow up
On paper prospectus anyway. Might be nice when some of all this build up happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Acosta View Post

Juxtaposition kind of hurts my eyes. Looks like a skyscraper landed on the building. Should match the UFO that lands on Katz Avenue anyway.

Old
12-02-2013, 10:07 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuds View Post
Announcement will be the arena is a 25,000 seater. Katz states "Yolo" and then leaves to not give his son a haircut.

Exciting future for downtown Edmonton.
It will be around 19.500

Old
12-02-2013, 10:08 PM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
On paper prospectus anyway. Might be nice when some of all this build up happens.
Here's a nice map that gets most of what's is happening and what might happen.

https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=...6cc94b6b&msa=0

Old
12-02-2013, 10:11 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Here's a nice map that gets most of what's is happening and what might happen.

https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=...6cc94b6b&msa=0
Oh yeah, I like that thread and said as much on C2E. Its a really good tool.

I think the thing is that so little happened in Edmonton for so long now it seems like an eternity waiting for change. Could just be age and wondering when anything gets done. Or living in Mill hoods and waiting for LRT for 3.5decades and counting.

This is like the City that never happened for half my lifetime here.

Old
12-02-2013, 10:14 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob Fail View Post
It will be around 19.500
Apparently now without any loge skypaddock seating.

I think that was my favorite part of the design is being able to get up on a catwalk and see a game with that kind of view.

19.5 would be nice if we get it.

Old
12-02-2013, 10:25 PM
cpnfantstk

Quote:
Oh yeah, I like that thread and said as much on C2E. Its a really good tool.

I think the thing is that so little happened in Edmonton for so long now it seems like an eternity waiting for change. Could just be age and wondering when anything gets done. Or living in Mill hoods and waiting for LRT for 3.5decades and counting.

This is like the City that never happened for half my lifetime here.
I left Edmonton in 1993 and have been very surprised on how little has been done to the downtown core since then. I use to follow construction projects for downtown from the late 80s until I left. I was thrilled when Manulife was built. The Eatons Centre project mostly got scrapped which was disappointing. Remember talk about the Millwoods extension over 20 years ago. Very happy for the city that all these projects are happening. It's been way overdue. I think with the addition of the arena, the Royal museum, and other buildings in the works, this city will finally be what it should have been years ago.

Old
12-02-2013, 10:30 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpnfantstk View Post
I left Edmonton in 1993 and have been very surprised on how little has been done to the downtown core since then. I use to follow construction projects for downtown from the late 80s until I left. I was thrilled when Manulife was built. The Eatons Centre project mostly got scrapped which was disappointing. Remember talk about the Millwoods extension over 20 years ago. Very happy for the city that all these projects are happening. It's been way overdue. I think with the addition of the arena, the Royal museum, and other buildings in the works, this city will finally be what it should have been years ago.
Yeah, its like Downtown Edmonton stopped at sometime in the late 70's and nothing much got going again for awhile.

For younger people probably better not to have gone through all of that and harder still to understand it.

Impetus does seem to be here. Hopefully it doesn't check out again suddenly this time.

Old
12-02-2013, 10:31 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:

Juxtaposition kind of hurts my eyes. Looks like a skyscraper landed on the building. Should match the UFO that lands on Katz Avenue anyway.
From the street it will just look like a nice old building, but it will be much more useful. I much prefer this style to walking by and having some concrete and glass rectangle loom over you.

Old
12-02-2013, 10:36 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
From the street it will just look like a nice old building, but it will be much more useful. I much prefer this style to walking by and having some concrete and glass rectangle loom over you.
Yeah, at least it maintains streetfront if it remains faithful to building that was there. We need a lot more streetfront vitality in Downtown imo. Some buildings are so uninviting and stark. Loom over is a good term. Its that feeling of walking among enclosed glass canyons that are not on any human scale.

Old
12-02-2013, 10:37 PM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

One thing I think would be a nice addition to this entertainment district would be a small venue similar to what MSG has with Radio City Music Hall and The Theatre at MSG. My idea is a 3,000-4,000 seat venue that looks something kinda like this:

A small intimate arena that has steep seats wrapped tightly around the floor. Canada seems to have a healthy appetite for combat sports and this, to me, would be a dream venue to watch at. Could also be said for concerts, other sports, and shows.

Old
12-02-2013, 10:47 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Yeah, at least it maintains streetfront if it remains faithful to building that was there. We need a lot more streetfront vitality in Downtown imo. Some buildings are so uninviting and stark. Loom over is a good term. Its that feeling of walking among enclosed glass canyons that are not on any human scale.
Exactly. 3-4 story buildings give it that nice human feel. Glass canyons is what turned downtown into a deadzone. No one wants to walk through that.

On topic, I liked the new video and photos of the arena district. I hope the news tomorrow is something exciting.

Last edited by s7ark: 12-02-2013 at 10:58 PM. Reason: spelling
Old
12-02-2013, 11:04 PM
armandh01

Isn't there another proposed tower next to Epcor that is supposedly suppose to be like 270m tall The Edmontonian or something? Is that part of the arena stuff or some other thing?

With the airport no longer being a burden on the city, it would be nice to have some impressive architecture invade us a bit.

Last edited by armandh01: 12-02-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old
12-02-2013, 11:10 PM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
Isn't there another proposed tower next to Epcor that is supposedly suppose to be like 270m tall The Edmontonian or something? Is that part of the arena stuff or some other thing?

With the airport no longer being a burden on the city, it would be nice to have some impressive architecture invade us a bit.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=100

Yeah, part office, part apartment, part hotel, all man.

Old
12-02-2013, 11:24 PM
armandh01

Quote:

Now if only they'd get rid of some of the really ugly ones lingering in the area, CN tower looks like **** now, as does the City Square Tower (the one with that circular ramp sticking out, if anyone doesn't know).

Old
12-02-2013, 11:42 PM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
Now if only they'd get rid of some of the really ugly ones lingering in the area, CN tower looks like **** now, as does the City Square Tower (the one with that circular ramp sticking out, if anyone doesn't know).
To me the worst offender is the Telus building. Almost all skyline shots are from the River Valley and that thing is front and centre. Only in the winter night does it have a redeeming quality. Where the buildings you mentioned are in the back hidden.

Old
12-02-2013, 11:52 PM
okgooil

Quote:

would be nice to see. we need a really iconic building that really sticks out.

Old
12-02-2013, 11:55 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
To me the worst offender is the Telus building. Almost all skyline shots are from the River Valley and that thing is front and centre. Only in the winter night does it have a redeeming quality. Where the buildings you mentioned are in the back hidden.
That thing will never get demolished barring something unforeseen.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
12-03-2013, 12:05 AM
Philly85
Moody'

can't honestly see them constructing The Edmontonian... it just seems one step too bold, too big for Edmonton.

Old
12-03-2013, 12:16 AM
soothsayer

As the city center airport closes, more high-rises are proposed. . .

Closed Thread