HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Arena Thread: Rogers Place? Yawn...

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2013, 03:46 PM
Draekke

vCash: 500
You know it was previously called Rexall Place, right? It's not like we're going from extremely awesome to generic. lol..

And for all you people complaining... at least it's not Jobing.com Arena.... gotta be the worst name ever.

And to not name it something like "winter garden" is smart.. Do we really need more ammunition from out of towners to say that we're winter all year round? It would be weird going to a concert at a place called the WinterGarden Arena in the summer.

Old
12-03-2013, 03:47 PM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRadicals View Post
Rogers 'Ranch Roadhouse'

At least then maybe Hall and Eberle will show up once in a while.

Made me laugh to the point my co-worker made me explain what I was laughing about. She didn't find the same humor in it as I told her she wouldn't. Now she thinks I'm weird so thanks man!

Old
12-03-2013, 03:47 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdimedru View Post
you don't get it do you?
I fully get it. The city has taken all the risk in this 'partnership' the Oilers reap all the rewards. I fully get that a few weeks after us coughing up our provincial infrastructure funds the city pundits began talking about the need for possibly more tax revenue to help cover the shortfall for the next leg of the lrt. I fully get that the starting point for next years tax increase is 5.5%. I also totally get the fact that they are also increasing power/sewer/waste removal costs. I totally get the fact the the neighbourhood I live in has roads and sidewalks that are a sheer and utter disgrace for a '1st class' urban center and I get that when my neighborhood rolls around in the revitalization schedule 5 years from now we will have to pay a huge revitalization fee as well.

I also get that the downtown arena might revitalize that part of the city and may years and years down the road increase some tax revenue.

Old
12-03-2013, 03:48 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Rogers Garden or Rogers Winter Garden would have been better.

This organization fails at everything.
Rogers Gagner emporium?

Old
12-03-2013, 03:49 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 344
I guess all that is next is for Rogers to take over the radio broadcast

Old
12-03-2013, 03:49 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
I fully get it. The city has taken all the risk in this 'partnership' the Oilers reap all the rewards. I fully get that a few weeks after us coughing up our provincial infrastructure funds the city pundits began talking about the need for possibly more tax revenue to help cover the shortfall for the next leg of the lrt. I fully get that the starting point for next years tax increase is 5.5%. I also totally get the fact that they are also increasing power/sewer/waste removal costs. I totally get the fact the the neighbourhood I live in has roads and sidewalks that are a sheer and utter disgrace for a '1st class' urban center and I get that when my neighborhood rolls around in the revitalization schedule 5 years from now we will have to pay a huge revitalization fee as well.

I also get that the downtown arena might revitalize that part of the city and may years and years down the road increase some tax revenue.
Sounds like you don't get it.

Old
12-03-2013, 03:50 PM
Draekke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
s7ark I like:

Rogers Palace
Rogers Northlands Coliseum
Rogers Winter Garden
Rogers Winter Palace (sorry couldn't resist)
The Rig
The Oildrop
If you're going to go with Rig, call it the Oil Rig at least. Palace sounds way too fancy. the other ones are lame.

Maybe Oil Drop because of the shape, but I would hate that name with a passion. Sounds really weak.

Old
12-03-2013, 03:51 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRadicals View Post
Rogers 'Ranch Roadhouse'

At least then maybe Hall and Eberle will show up once in a while.
Spitting coffee...

Old
12-03-2013, 03:53 PM
okgooil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draekke View Post
You know it was previously called Rexall Place, right? It's not like we're going from extremely awesome to generic. lol..

And for all you people complaining... at least it's not Jobing.com Arena.... gotta be the worst name ever.

And to not name it something like "winter garden" is smart.. Do we really need more ammunition from out of towners to say that we're winter all year round? It would be weird going to a concert at a place called the WinterGarden Arena in the summer.
Ya, amazing how much people are complaining. like we knew it was going to be a major corp and they were going to name it "major corp" place. so who cares. Palace is really dumb, it isn't a palace.. lol. Rogers place is beyond fine with me. I like the fact that we get rid of Rexall. It makes sense for a telecom company to get naming rights, there will be lots of extra benifits that come a long with that. I mean RExal can't sell drugs at the games, so it had no cross promotion. THis will be a technological epicenter.

Old
12-03-2013, 03:54 PM
cpnfantstk

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I too am amazed. I type that knowing damn well that the word was going to be censored.
You got my respect. You keep it real. Mods need to give us a pass on foul language for at least one day a year. This place would probably double the usual traffic.

Old
12-03-2013, 03:57 PM
T-Funk

The Rogers Infirmary?

They could set up exhibits like the Ghosts of Shoulders Past and have re-enactments of dirty hits where the fan gets to select the appropriate retaliation.

Old
12-03-2013, 04:00 PM
Fourier

Quote:

Edmonton has a $2B budget. If the City got no ticket money, no taxes and had to pay every penny for the whole project a one time 1% increase in revenue would easily cover the cost going forward. You have a right not to like the deal, but do you really believe any of the issues you mention would be significantly different without the arena?

Old
12-03-2013, 04:01 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilio View Post
While I was on vacation in Cancun this September, I happened to meet and hang out with one of the architects for the new arena. She is in charge of the winter garden among other things.

The few things I remember about the conversation:

-There are no 90 degree angles in the building. Very modern and complex architecturally. A welcome change from the sports arena box that get made so often.
For some reason I lol. Not sure what you meant there but wow, looka the pretty, complex, 90 degree angles?!

The only things I'm good at building have 90 degree angles. Or intend to...

Old
12-03-2013, 04:07 PM
SometimesY

Will people really refer to it as Roger's? What about the Butterdome, is that it's real name? Guess we wait to see.

Old
12-03-2013, 04:09 PM
doulos

Quote:
I feel so happy that my city built and arena, gave it to a billionaire who already was making money and is getting truck loads of new cash from a new outrageous tv deal and now the Arena is named after a company that screws it customers up the rump when ever possible. Yay!

I don't live in Edmonton so for me it's a great deal, but I would completely against this project if I still lived there. However, big cities need shiny new toys to feel like they are real big boy cities. It's a status symbol that everyone in the city is going to pay for, even if they don't give a crap about using the facility or what's hosted in it.

Old
12-03-2013, 04:10 PM
AUAIOMRN

Roger's Edifice
Roger's Erection

Old
12-03-2013, 04:11 PM
RisingSun

vCash: 169
Rogers 'Talus Dome'

Old
12-03-2013, 04:11 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
I don't live in Edmonton so for me it's a great deal, but I would completely against this project if I still lived there. However, big cities need shiny new toys to feel like they are real big boy cities. It's a status symbol that everyone in the city is going to pay for, even if they don't give a crap about using the facility or what's hosted in it.
Everyone's tax dollars go towards stuff they don't want sometimes.

Old
12-03-2013, 04:12 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
For some reason I lol. Not sure what you meant there but wow, looka the pretty, complex, 90 degree angles?!

The only things I'm good at building have 90 degree angles. Or intend to...
No 90 Degree angles. None. So nothing is square or boxy.

Old
12-03-2013, 04:12 PM
bestmyfeeling

hopefully with all this new money they will be able to acquire some much needed back end help and we will be much more competitive by the time the arena is up and running

Old
12-03-2013, 04:13 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
lol, I need more coffee, never mind.

But keeping in mind things I build don't usually end up being 90 degree angles either. I'm like advanced backyard carpenter.

Old
12-03-2013, 04:14 PM
okgooil

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
Everyone's tax dollars go towards stuff they don't want sometimes.
spoken for truth, just replace sometimes with most of the time.

at the end of the day it was something our elected official's approved of and it will certainly have major benefits for the city. So lets just relax and live with it. The deal will never appease many poeple, it is done though. I am looking forward to Roger's place.

Old
12-03-2013, 04:15 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 600

Old
12-03-2013, 04:18 PM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

"The Money Shot"

Get it? We have snipers playing inside.

Old
12-03-2013, 04:20 PM
40oz

Quote:
'Welcome to Rogers Place, the usher will now show you to your private sphere"

Closed Thread