HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Arena Thread: Rogers Place? Yawn...

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2014, 01:54 AM
Krut

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Don't think we really would have missed out on anything but another decade of misery with this club.

In retrospect Katz sure didn't do us any favors providing us with the worst team in pro sports.
Surprise surprise, the crutch "this team sucks" answer rather than addressing the point.

Which other private investor is willing to step up the way Katz has to improve our downtown? Who is it?

Old
02-08-2014, 01:57 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post
Surprise surprise, the crutch "this team sucks" answer rather than addressing the point.

Which other private investor is willing to step up the way Katz has to improve our downtown? Who is it?
Who cares? I'm past the point of it meaning much one way or the other.

The Oilers are the worst product in the league any way.

But in anycase who's to say somebody would'n't have stepped in. Person doesn't need to be Edmontonian and several owners in pro sports are out of town and jurisdiction. At 11th which was never the case who knows what would have went down.

Old
02-08-2014, 02:02 AM
Krut

Quote:
Who cares? I'm past the point of it meaning much one way or the other.

The Oilers are the worst product in the league any way.

But in anycase who's to say somebody would'n't have stepped in. Person doesn't need to be Edmontonian and several owners in pro sports are out of town and jurisdiction. At 11th which was never the case who knows what would have went down.
Right, we should have waited for a hope and prayer 11th hour investor ( if we're lucky enough to have one) rather than someone who is willing to make several unprecedented private investments in this city at once. Makes sense.

Old
02-08-2014, 02:03 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Right, we should have waited for a hope and prayer 11th hour investor ( if we're lucky enough to have one) rather than someone who is willing to make several investments in this city at once. Makes sense.
Again what investment? Katz isn't fronting anything on the build. His *Investment* was buying club. That's it.

Old
02-08-2014, 02:12 AM
Krut

Quote:
Again what investment? Katz isn't fronting anything on the build. His *Investment* was buying club. That's it.
Then I guess you won't have any issue listing all the other investors willing to make a better commitment than he did. Which investors again?

Old
02-08-2014, 02:20 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Then I guess you won't have any issue listing all the other investors willing to make a better commitment than he did. Which investors again?
Katz is a downtown investor? News to me. Investing connotes outlay. Investing connotes theres skin in the game.

What investment?

I keep asking.

Old
02-08-2014, 02:27 AM
Krut

Quote:
Katz is a downtown investor? News to me. Investing connotes outlay. Investing connotes theres skin in the game.

What investment?

I keep asking.
Are you suggesting the city would have invested in a similar project 100%?

Old
02-08-2014, 06:15 PM
blueandgoldguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuds View Post

New image.

edit: I think this actually might be an old image. I saw it on another forum stating it was new, but I think that's false.
A few questions about the arena guys...

What's the official capacity? Last I heard was 18,400 seats. Does that include standing room or are there going to be any standing room seats?

How many suites will there be? And how many club seats?

Looks like there are 3 levels of loge seats in that pic. How many loge seats will there be?

Arena sure looks to be a beaut. Probably will be the nicest in the league once it's completed..at least based on the concept pictures. Sucks that Katz isn't willing to front more money for this project. He will make an absolute killing - I can see the Oilers increasing ticket prices to the 2nd or 3rd highest in the league once they move in and with all the additional suites, loges and club seats, not to mention concessions and larger capacity for concerts (with Katz getting all the revenues from concerts and parking now) I bet Katz will be raking in an additional $40 - $50 million in revenue per year...and that's discluding the real estate around the arena!

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

Old
02-08-2014, 06:28 PM
Oilerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post

What's the official capacity? Last I heard was 18,400 seats. Does that include standing room or are there going to be any standing room seats?

Looks like there are 3 levels of loge seats in that pic. How many loge seats will there be?

Arena sure looks to be a beaut. Probably will be the nicest in the league once it's completed..at least based on the concept pictures. Sucks that Katz isn't willing to front more money for this project. He will make an absolute killing - I can see the Oilers increasing ticket prices to the 2nd or 3rd highest in the league once they move in and with all the additional suites, loges and club seats, not to mention concessions and larger capacity for concerts (with Katz getting all the revenues from concerts and parking now) I bet Katz will be raking in an additional $40 - $50 million in revenue per year...and that's discluding the real estate around the arena!

This thread is for complaining about ownership only.

Old
02-08-2014, 07:00 PM
samiam

Quote:

I can't remember the exact number quoted, but Laforge was saying there will actually be LESS suites in the new building than there currently are at Rexall. In it's place will be more of the Loge seating. The reason for this is that they are shifting more focus on to providing something a little smaller & more financially viable for the small/medium sized companies & groups, that would not normally need an entire 12-24 seat suite.
18,400 is the capacity number that I've also heard as well.

Old
02-08-2014, 07:42 PM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerz View Post
This thread is for complaining about ownership only.
Mark me down for one lol on that one.

Old
02-08-2014, 07:48 PM
Del Preston
Pass to Purcell

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiam View Post
Wikipedia says capacity will be 18,559, citing this Edmonton Sun article from January 2013:

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/01/2...n-oilers-arena

Old
02-08-2014, 07:49 PM
Tyrolean

Capacity should be at least 20,000 and be able to have an international sized ice surface.

Old
02-08-2014, 08:22 PM
blueandgoldguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiam View Post
I can't remember the exact number quoted, but Laforge was saying there will actually be LESS suites in the new building than there currently are at Rexall. In it's place will be more of the Loge seating. The reason for this is that they are shifting more focus on to providing something a little smaller & more financially viable for the small/medium sized companies & groups, that would not normally need an entire 12-24 seat suite.
Makes sense. having a greater emphasis on loge seating might be a model for future arenas around the league. Thanks!

Old
02-09-2014, 12:16 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
Capacity should be at least 20,000 and be able to have an international sized ice surface.
20k seats sure, but I fail to see the usefulness of international ice.

Old
02-09-2014, 12:24 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
So one day when this city of ours grows up we'll actually make a successful bid for the Winter Olympics.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
02-09-2014, 03:25 PM
blueandgoldguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
Haven't you heard? The Oilers will make the jump to the KHL once the new arena opens.

Old
02-09-2014, 03:59 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Haven't you heard? The Oilers will make the jump to the KHL once the new arena opens.
It's the only way Yak stays after his ELC is up.

Old
02-09-2014, 09:12 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Jump?

More like relegated because they can't ice an NHL quality team

Old
02-09-2014, 09:14 PM
armandh01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
So one day when this city of ours grows up we'll actually make a successful bid for the Winter Olympics.
I'd rather spend the 50 billion in city upgrades and reducing poverty, huehuehue.

Old
02-10-2014, 11:39 AM
trick91

Good deal for the city on the new office tower:

City of Edmonton office tower an “outstanding” deal: expert
By Ryan Tumilty
Metro Edmonton

The city got an outstanding deal on its new office tower according to a local commercial realty expert.

The city announced Thursday it had contracted with the Katz Group and WAM to move most of its staff into a new 27-storey tower to be built at 104th Street and 101 Avenue.

The deal will cost the city $25 per square foot in the first five years and an average of $36 over the length of the 20-year term.

Cory Wosnack, a principal with Avison Young, said that would be hard for anyone to beat.

“There is absolutely nobody in our business who would argue with the fact that $36 a square foot, over the length of the term, is an outstanding deal,” he said.

Wosnack said because the group has other projects around the site they might be looking at the bigger picture.

“If you were to be a developer that is expecting a rate of return on one single project, your risk tolerance is different,” he said.

He said a five or 10 year lease in similar existing buildings would cost around $27 a square foot.

http://metronews.ca/news/edmonton/93...g-deal-expert/

Old
02-10-2014, 11:44 AM
oiler-dude

Quote:
The city got an outstanding deal on its new office tower according to a local commercial realty expert.

The city announced Thursday it had contracted with the Katz Group and WAM to move most of its staff into a new 27-storey tower to be built at 104th Street and 101 Avenue.

The deal will cost the city $25 per square foot in the first five years and an average of $36 over the length of the 20-year term.
http://metronews.ca/news/edmonton/93...g-deal-expert/

Old
02-10-2014, 12:04 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler-dude View Post
That IS a pretty sweet deal. What's the current cost per square foot for anyshere else downtown?

Anybody know?

Old
02-10-2014, 12:17 PM
oiler-dude

CushWake puts the average Class A rental rate at about $30 for downtown (per Q4 2013 report here: http://www.cwedm.com/report_archive.php), but it will differ in each building.

Old
02-10-2014, 12:59 PM
Mr Positive

vCash: 1048
the capacity of Rogers Place is way too low imo. We'll be fighting high ticket prices for years.

Closed Thread