HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Arena Thread: Rogers Place? Yawn...

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2014, 10:51 PM
Q Continuum
You are Wrong

vCash: 691
Well ****, the Emperor actually showed his face. Kinda nice to actually see the face of the guy bending this city over a barrel.

And by Odin's beard, that might be the ugliest arena in the league.

Old
02-11-2014, 11:00 PM
KClovesGaming

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Katz got the job done.

I don't really care if his tactics in doing so ruffled some feathers. If you want make an omlette you might have to break some eggs. I knew from the beginning especially with the way Edmonton's city council is that this was always going to get a little ugly.

EIG wouldn't have been able to get this done and Pocklington sure as hell didn't. Katz has secured the Oilers future in Edmonton for the next 20+ years and that's the bottom line.

If only the Oilers hockey management were as competent in getting their job done.
He was getting bashed for doing some not so nice things and rightfully so, but that's because he cares about the team and the sport. He did whatever it took. Because the reality is without him, the team and city doesn't get anything.he spearheaded the entire thing and now look. A brand new arena with the downtown being revamped. Way to go Katz.

Old
02-11-2014, 11:13 PM
Oilerzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I still think it looks like some kind of weird spaceship.

I'm just saying that because its true, plus that I don't want to disappoint.

Also, I like the way the cattle, er I mean human loading dock is situated..

You'll all be freaked when this starts playing..

jk aside I think this is another build that will look stupid and WTF were they thinking in a dozen years. Kind of like all the Gehry type backlash going on now. All of which was extremely predictable.

Won't be 10 years before people start calling this a tin omelette or something. For all the talk of street level interaction and people interaction this design looks horrible in that regard. Buildings like this create walls, divisions, and canyons in urban environments. Wheres the street level interaction? Oh, must've forgot about that.

Hmmm...not that hard to find really.

http://photos.edmonton.ca/Major-Proj...B7/i-rfkpwLw/A

http://photos.edmonton.ca/Major-Proj...B7/i-whf4t8S/A

http://photos.edmonton.ca/Major-Proj...B7/i-LDb7MMp/A

http://photos.edmonton.ca/Major-Proj...B7/i-ZNswf3T/A

http://photos.edmonton.ca/Major-Proj...B7/i-3BRzDhR/A

http://photos.edmonton.ca/Major-Proj...B7/i-Fs8XXc9/A

http://photos.edmonton.ca/Major-Proj...B7/i-s8n5ksr/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Thanks Powder.

Looks pretty sweet to me...although I'm sure someone disagrees with me.

Most likely candidate.....the winner is....Replacement.
Nice prediction by the way lol.

Last edited by Oilerzfan: 02-11-2014 at 11:17 PM. Reason: I tried to link the pics but it didn't work...
Old
02-11-2014, 11:33 PM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post
I don't think there is much of a wait for standing room. My buddy was able to get them a couple off seasons ago. The bigger question is why? It's painful to spend an entire game standing. The walk up to those standing room sections is ridiculous. If you can sneak down into some seats so be it.
I agree, walking up stairs and standing is painful. What are we? Peasants labouring in fields? Get that third world bull **** out of here. Can't even keep my Nachos on my lap.

Old
02-11-2014, 11:46 PM
shoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuds View Post
I agree, walking up stairs and standing is painful. What are we? Peasants labouring in fields? Get that third world bull **** out of here. Can't even keep my Nachos on my lap.
Go standing room all you want. That is third world ghetto crap.

Damn rights I want my nachos on my lap!

Old
02-11-2014, 11:48 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

I kind of like this view. resembles a metallic giant mosquito sucking the CRL $ out of the downtown.

apt

gawd this thing is friggen ugly.

I'm almost tired of looking at it already.

Old
02-11-2014, 11:53 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
I still think it looks like some kind of weird spaceship.

I'm just saying that because its true, plus that I don't want to disappoint.

Also, I like the way the cattle, er I mean human loading dock is situated..

You'll all be freaked when this starts playing..

jk aside I think this is another build that will look stupid and WTF were they thinking in a dozen years. Kind of like all the Gehry type backlash going on now. All of which was extremely predictable.

Won't be 10 years before people start calling this a tin omelette or something. For all the talk of street level interaction and people interaction this design looks horrible in that regard. Buildings like this create walls, divisions, and canyons in urban environments. Wheres the street level interaction? Oh, must've forgot about that.
The Guggenheim and 8 spruce St are Gehry. Unless you're referring to the art museum. It will only look out of place because how stale everything else is.

Hopefully this will revitalize downtown and spur modern development

Old
02-11-2014, 11:55 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuds View Post
You can slam beer faster at the bellybar. Get with the program.

Do they actually sell SRO seasons seats? That's what the poster was asking earlier. Pretty sure they don't.

Only Seasons seats are going to get people action at the New Arena. That or having pictures of Katz..

Old
02-11-2014, 11:59 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
The Guggenheim and 8 spruce St are Gehry. Unless you're referring to the art museum. It will only look out of place because how stale everything else is.

Hopefully this will revitalize downtown and spur modern development
Gehry based architecture is falling out of favor. Not too surprisingly. Especially all the derivative rip off spin off bs where every building wants to start looking like one.

AGA is a nightmare. What a cluster**** of design. lets not even get into it being a deplorable looking exterior design for a place that's full of snow 7mths/year.

Give it a decade and people will be wondering when we can tear that mangled tin can down and build a for real building.

"modern development" is apparently devoid of color and earthy elements. Something that's almost a must for designs for winter cities. Just to look at them.

"cold, stark" designs are incredibly stupid applied to a winter city climate. We need color here in winter, not buildings wrapped in Reynolds foil.

Old
02-12-2014, 12:08 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by KClovesGaming View Post
He was getting bashed for doing some not so nice things and rightfully so, but that's because he cares about the team and the sport. He did whatever it took. Because the reality is without him, the team and city doesn't get anything.he spearheaded the entire thing and now look. A brand new arena with the downtown being revamped. Way to go Katz.
This is about business and profit and should not be confused with benevolence. Katz aggressively pursued the Oil to buy and then immediately cried poverty about profitability. His $170 million investment is now valued at $400,000,000. He will now reap immense profit being given the keys to a new palace with all revenue streams for all events. This is the big time profit centre driving the project including an absurd threat to move out of monopoly conditions in Edmonton for third world status in Seattle.

Add a goofy, massive PR blunder by Lowe calling out second tier fans who can't attend games (see top ticket prices in the league) but get to be on the hook to build a new rink for the big financial windfall it will accrue to the Katz group's corporate bottom line.

A big day for Edmonton. But this is simply great business decisions wrapped in joe q fan's emotional attachment to a professional sports business. We learned that language during the last lockout.

Old
02-12-2014, 12:16 AM
ChaoticOrange

We had a long discussion
at work today about how the arena looks like...ahem...the carrier of the male seed.

Now I can't un-see it.

The oilers will be playing in the Rogers **** Arena.

Old
02-12-2014, 12:22 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticOrange View Post
We had a long discussion
at work today about how the arena looks like...ahem...the carrier of the male seed.

Now I can't un-see it.

That's it, now I know we're all ****ed..

Old
02-12-2014, 12:52 AM
rboomercat90

vCash: 234
Quote:
I kind of like this view. resembles a metallic giant mosquito sucking the CRL $ out of the downtown.

apt

I'm going to be able to see this thing from my highrise balcony. My biggest fear is what the glare from the mid day sun off of it is going to be like with that shiny metal exterior.

I laughed at your mosquito reference. I can see the resemblance.

Old
02-12-2014, 12:58 AM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

Quote:
We had a long discussion

Now I can't un-see it.

If The Edmontonian is ever erected () it would be perfect.

Old
02-12-2014, 08:53 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Guaranteed maximum price means guaranteed MAXIMUM price. I've been involved in projects with GMP and you can count on it. If there are change orders, that's another matter.
Is there ever a project that doesn't have change orders?

Old
02-12-2014, 09:52 AM
Bank Shot

Quote:
You can slam beer faster at the bellybar. Get with the program.

Do they actually sell SRO seasons seats? That's what the poster was asking earlier. Pretty sure they don't.

Only Seasons seats are going to get people action at the New Arena. That or having pictures of Katz..
Yes, they sell standing room season tickets.

Old
02-12-2014, 10:02 AM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOiklRising View Post
Well ****, the Emperor actually showed his face. Kinda nice to actually see the face of the guy bending this city over a barrel.

And by Odin's beard, that might be the ugliest arena in the league.
I suspect you won't be using the arena then?

Old
02-12-2014, 11:15 AM
Playa Hejda

vCash: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank Shot View Post
Yes, they sell standing room season tickets.
I bought a pair of standing room seats from a beleaguered season ticket holder for $21 dollars this year. That's the nice thing about being a tier 1 fan, resale value!

Old
02-12-2014, 11:42 AM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

Quote:

apt

what arena do you consider nice?

Old
02-12-2014, 12:24 PM
Mr.Prez
Why not Zoidberg?

vCash: 129
Quote:
We had a long discussion

Now I can't un-see it.

oh dear god, thanks

Old
02-12-2014, 12:38 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
Good question. Compared to the last wave of NHL arenas that opened, these renderings look fantastic.

Old
02-12-2014, 01:24 PM
SoftDumps

vCash: 50
Quote:
We had a long discussion

Now I can't un-see it.

Hahaha thankfully I won't have to be looking at this building from above. The pregame pans of the arena are going to get some laughs around the league

Old
02-12-2014, 01:38 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
It is a good question. The trouble is NA Arenas in general tend not to be the type designs I like much.

I can tell you that I despise Banknorth which I view as pretty much an atrocity.

I'm partial to brick so American Airlines Center and its revisionist design speaks classic to me. In short it evokes great arenas of old that frankly were not built that great. But it works.

Trouble with Rogers place is the futuristic design elements might look best from aerial views and not street views and I think it interacts weirdly with street views adding for some unintended looks already mentioned. From ground level view theres a whole lot of odd views.

As mentioned the color elements don't work well here in a Northern climate where color is much more needed. Silver and snow?, nah, forget it.

Staples is an exciting design and brings a bit of Vegas type atmosphere to street front. Something like that might be exciting as well.

In general, I find arena designs as mostly uninspiring works. What I'd like to see more is a design that incorporates inside and outside and elements and blends the two. Something like the Vancouver Library, or even La Cite Francophone here in Edmonton. Designs that can work and allow inside and outside enjoyment. Really any design that offers some walls or enclosures that block wind and elements allow more of that inside/outside interaction in a winter climate. We have precious little of that here and what should be here in a winter climate. City Hall in St Albert, by the world Famous Douglas Cardinal is another good example.

Old
02-12-2014, 09:38 PM
Q Continuum
You are Wrong

vCash: 691
Quote:
I suspect you won't be using the arena then?
Unfortunately, since some of my favorite bands will probably head there to do shows, I won't have a lot of choice in the matter if I want to see them.

Old
02-12-2014, 10:40 PM
Beerfish

So the city is responsible for this winter garden and lrt and such as well eh? So 604 million then tack on the nice new move to katz towers so the city will be into this for nearing a billion dollars.

If I was one of the rejected bidders for this tower deal I'd be digging into a bit as it could be a bit of a conflict of interest/side deal.

City gives katz the gold plated arena deal. Katz goes lower than anyone else for the tower cost.

Closed Thread