HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mikhail Grabovski...where from here?

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2013, 11:05 AM
Pierre Gotye

vCash: 500
Mikhail Grabovski...where from here?

I love Grabo. He's fearless, and without a doubt has a high skillset. He plays with energy and emotion and clearly wants to win.

RC put him in a bad role this season and he didn't produce much offensively because of it.

In the playoffs, he did good things, but his 0goals 2 assists -9 stats, including the -3 from last night are a glaring weakness.

What do the Leafs do with Grabo? Is there room for both Grabo and Bozak in the immediate future? Does it make sense to keep them both. Is Grabo worth the $5 mil he's getting.

This is a question the Leafs will have to decipher. IIRC he's also 29.

While I hope he remains a Leafs for a long-time, unbiasedly, taking everything into consideration, this was not the year of Grabovski.

Old
05-14-2013, 11:11 AM
Sundinftw

He is making 5.5 million, 1 goal in the last ~20 games, 0 in the playoffs, a -10 the worst minus player in the playoffs, etc

He needs to go and be replaced with someone who can be depended on in both ends of the rink. The ideal situation would be to flip him for a D man

Old
05-14-2013, 11:12 AM
Stephen

He's a fantastic energy player who unfortunately gets very little done properly whether it be creating offense, shutting down the opposition or winning face offs. I've hated him all year but admired the blood and sweat he gave to this team, yet ultimately no good came out of his heroic display. You don't get points for getting knocked into thr boards. At $5.5 million, he absolutely has no place here.

Old
05-14-2013, 11:14 AM
Duffman955

Buyout or trade.

He has done nothing since getting the contract. Nothing is actually an overstatement

Old
05-14-2013, 11:17 AM
Al14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
He's a fantastic energy player who unfortunately gets very little done properly whether it be creating offense, shutting down the opposition or winning face offs. I've hated him all year but admired the blood and sweat he gave to this team, yet ultimately no good came out of his heroic display. You don't get points for getting knocked into thr boards. At $5.5 million, he absolutely has no place here.
I'm starting to agree. Too much money for a non-scoring, mediocre checker, who can't win face-offs with any consistency.

Time to trade him, if possible. Buyout would be such a waste.

Energy only counts when there is some sort of results.

Old
05-14-2013, 11:31 AM
Ricky Bobby

Let Bozak walk as he's going to get overpaid and Colborne can fill a lot of what he brought at a significantly cheaper cost.

Find an upgrade on Bozak to play in the middle such as Weiss, Briere, Ribiero then switch Grabo to the wing.

Grabo is to erratic in his defensive zone coverage and doesn't use his linemates well enough offensively. He'll do better as a winger who can his speed on the forecheck and force teams not to pinch as he fly out of the zone quickly, he's also a shot first player which works better for wingers.

If we need cap space Grabo/Liles are the first players that should be heading out the door.

Old
05-14-2013, 11:56 AM
The Puck

Garbageski

Garbageski was terrible in all aspects.

He didn't score goals, he didn't help his team score goals, he didn't stop the other team from scoring goals, and he's not intimidating to play against. So what role does he play?

Teams are supposed to have an assortment of playmakers, snipers, two-way forwards, grinders, tough guys, etc. ... but Grabovski created a new class of player this season - the human bowling pin.

As the highest paid forward (and 2nd highest paid player) his performance was a complete disgrace.

Old
05-14-2013, 11:59 AM
Semantics
200 IQ passes

Love his heart, but he's gotta be the prime candidate on the roster for us to look to upgrade. As we've all come to realize, his high compete level goes to waste because he just doesn't read the play well enough in either zone (aka low hockey iq). He doesn't use his teammates well in the offensive zone, and his defensive coverage tends to be "scrambly", where he's usually in reasonable position but often just fails to identify who he should cover in time or when to pressure.

I think Colborne may be ready to take over Grabo's spot next year if we can't land somebody more established. I'd much rather have a more cerebral player in the center position. Colborne fits that description, and his size and reach should make him more effective than Grabo in the defensive zone. (And he may be a better offensive player given that he uses his teammates more, but we'll see. Grabo wasn't a good offensive player this year, so even if Colborne can't produce there'd be no downgrade there.)

We certainly can't afford to the cap space required to keep both Grabo and Bozak. They are both players that bring some nice things to the table, but you can't use up $10 million of cap sapce on two centers who aren't very well rounded.

Old
05-14-2013, 12:00 PM
mcleex

vCash: 200
I absolutely love Grabo I'm one of his biggest fans but I think he's overpaid. I mean as long as he can be replaced by someone who is worthy I would do it. But no way I would get rid of him just to get rid of him

Old
05-14-2013, 12:02 PM
yakfish
"Holy Mackinaw!"

I think he needs to go whether buy a buyout or a trade. But I am going to hate seeing him leave. He plays the game with more heart than anyone. I can't understand while watching him play how he doesn't have more to show for his efforts.

Old
05-14-2013, 12:03 PM
BonMorrison
Your resident SJW

Grabo's my favorite player but there is zero place for him on this team going forward.

We should trade him to a team where he can get a clean slate as an offensive weapon again.

Old
05-14-2013, 12:12 PM
WTFMAN99

I loved the effort in the play offs so I hope he is tradable now, don't see how we fit him in and we need to resign bozak and get a top line centre too

Old
05-14-2013, 12:12 PM
Stephen

I think he should go, but I would caution against the hasty purge that happens based on emotion like when the Leafs gave up their JFJ era team for nothing. Try to make a hockey deal first, maybe see why Washington is thinking...

Old
05-14-2013, 12:13 PM
The Hockey Life

Good energy, but -10? Yikes. Think he leaves.

Old
05-14-2013, 12:14 PM
AINEC*
AINEC

Glad he played well this series, it should add some value to him so we can trade him.

I'm a fan of his heart, but he's pretty god damn useless, especially at that price.

Old
05-14-2013, 12:18 PM
Hotlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Loblawbrovsky View Post
Glad he played well this series, it should add some value to him so we can trade him.

I'm a fan of his heart, but he's pretty god damn useless, especially at that price.
-10 might scare off some buyers but people need to remember he was asked to play a shut down role against the Boston Bruins top scoring unit. You put him on a teams second line and ask him to score goals, he could easily turn it around.

Old
05-14-2013, 12:20 PM
BonMorrison
Your resident SJW

If Ribiero walks from the Capitals, I think he can fit in there. Additionally, if Filppula walks from Detroit, he could fit there too. Both scenarios, we would likely have to eat up some salary though.

Old
05-14-2013, 12:21 PM
DeathToAllButMetal
Let it all burn.

Grabo is all mindless energy. If he were 24-25, I'd keep him and try to coach away his flaws. But it's too late for that at 29, as the lack of hockey sense and vision are there for good now. Trade on draft day. He's still got some value, even at that contract, with not much out there on the market for centres.

Old
05-14-2013, 12:26 PM
SeenSchenn2
Itchin' For Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHockeySanctuary View Post
Good energy, but -10? Yikes. Think he leaves.
Not that I'm a fan of them, advanced stats would dictate he actually played pretty well.

This is a miscue with them. Yeah, he generated tons of chances and showed heart, energy, etc. but his luck just wasn't there. It's a real shame cause he was one of our best.

That -10 is definitely indicative of him being below-average to bad defensively.

Old
05-14-2013, 12:54 PM
The Hockey Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post
Not that I'm a fan of them, advanced stats would dictate he actually played pretty well.

This is a miscue with them. Yeah, he generated tons of chances and showed heart, energy, etc. but his luck just wasn't there. It's a real shame cause he was one of our best.

That -10 is definitely indicative of him being below-average to bad defensively.
Oh don't get me wrong. Grabbo was an energizer bunny in the offensive zone. Creating a lot of chances and actually Fransons 2nd last night. But he was really bad defensively.

Old
05-14-2013, 01:00 PM
JMcLeaf

vCash: 167
I hope he's gone. He works hard out there, but doesn't produce and makes some bone head plays. If he was paid 2-3 mil less I wouldn't be upset at all if we kept him, but his contract is horrible.

Old
05-14-2013, 01:03 PM
Diatomic
Mitch Matthewlander

Good player but HATE HATE HATE his contract.

Disappointing because he fits well with the team, but that contract is a **** blocker.

Old
05-14-2013, 01:04 PM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

hes starting to remind me of berezin offensively lol

so much skill but all flash no finish/teamplay

He used to be great i dunno hes just playing different last couple years

Old
05-14-2013, 01:06 PM
Wonder Dan
Go Leafs Go

Send a message via Yahoo to Wonder Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puck View Post
Garbageski was terrible in all aspects.

He didn't score goals, he didn't help his team score goals, he didn't stop the other team from scoring goals, and he's not intimidating to play against. So what role does he play?

Teams are supposed to have an assortment of playmakers, snipers, two-way forwards, grinders, tough guys, etc. ... but Grabovski created a new class of player this season - the human bowling pin.

As the highest paid forward (and 2nd highest paid player) his performance was a complete disgrace.
your avatar is ****ing with my mind lol

Old
05-14-2013, 03:57 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raym11 View Post
hes starting to remind me of berezin offensively lol

so much skill but all flash no finish/teamplay

He used to be great i dunno hes just playing different last couple years
I think because we have real threats he looks comically out of place. Between Lupul's productivity and passion, to Kessel's speed, playmaking and sniping, and JVR's ability to play an uptempo power game, to even Bozak's faceoff prowess and smart play and hustle, Grabovski just looks like an amateur.

Closed Thread