HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Suter and the pending Nashville diss ....

Old
05-10-2013, 01:52 PM
ILikeItILoveIt

vCash: 500
Suter and the pending Nashville diss ....

So Suter's up for the Norris against 2 guys with more points. Melrose and others are picking Suter because "he plays all the tough minutes" and TOI is over 27 minutes. Gee, last couple of years Weber did the exact same thing and lost out to higher offensive stats. Weber was the ideal mix of high goal scoring and playing all the tough minutes.

Suter has 4 goals and 28 assists for 32 points. That extends out to 54 points in an 82 game season. He was a +2 in the regular season and a -5 in the playoffs (i know, post-season doesn't count). Last two years with the preds, Suter was +15 and +20 and "played the tough minutes".

Watch what happens. Suter will win because he left the Preds and now plays in a more politically correct State. The State of Hockey. The rules will somehow change. Now the "tough minute" guy will beat out the offensive d-man because he's the new darling of the hockey press.

If you're not the highest scoring d-man, AND your +/- is only +2, then were is the statistical evidence that you've achieved the superior defensive results? Just because you play 27 minutes a game doesn't mean the results warrant a Norris. Suter's been doing this for years on the preds with no nominations. Now he's in Minny, on supposedly a better team (best money can buy), and he's a +2 versus a +20 for the preds and now he's the best??

This is an "up yours" to Nashville. Look, Suter is a good d-man. He bleeped us and he's dead to me now. But don't put him on a pedestal cuz he's now THE man in Minny? He had 4 friggin' goals, and played mucho pp time.

P.K. Subban has 11 goals and 27 assists for 38 points. He's a +12 playing 23 minutes. 4 more minutes does not make Suter Superman and Subban a specialty guy. He beats Suter in offense by a mile playing 6 less games. Using the same criteria as last year, he should win going away.

But you watch, Suter will get it because he doesn't play for the Nashville Predators anymore and the rest of the hockey elite have just discovered his wonderful two-way game.

Can't wait to have these guys in our Division.

ILikeItILoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 02:03 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeItILoveIt View Post
So Suter's up for the Norris against 2 guys with more points. Melrose and others are picking Suter because "he plays all the tough minutes" and TOI is over 27 minutes. Gee, last couple of years Weber did the exact same thing and lost out to higher offensive stats. Weber was the ideal mix of high goal scoring and playing all the tough minutes.

Suter has 4 goals and 28 assists for 32 points. That extends out to 54 points in an 82 game season. He was a +2 in the regular season and a -5 in the playoffs (i know, post-season doesn't count). Last two years with the preds, Suter was +15 and +20 and "played the tough minutes".

Watch what happens. Suter will win because he left the Preds and now plays in a more politically correct State. The State of Hockey. The rules will somehow change. Now the "tough minute" guy will beat out the offensive d-man because he's the new darling of the hockey press.

If you're not the highest scoring d-man, AND your +/- is only +2, then were is the statistical evidence that you've achieved the superior defensive results? Just because you play 27 minutes a game doesn't mean the results warrant a Norris. Suter's been doing this for years on the preds with no nominations. Now he's in Minny, on supposedly a better team (best money can buy), and he's a +2 versus a +20 for the preds and now he's the best??

This is an "up yours" to Nashville. Look, Suter is a good d-man. He bleeped us and he's dead to me now. But don't put him on a pedestal cuz he's now THE man in Minny? He had 4 friggin' goals, and played mucho pp time.

P.K. Subban has 11 goals and 27 assists for 38 points. He's a +12 playing 23 minutes. 4 more minutes does not make Suter Superman and Subban a specialty guy. He beats Suter in offense by a mile playing 6 less games. Using the same criteria as last year, he should win going away.

But you watch, Suter will get it because he doesn't play for the Nashville Predators anymore and the rest of the hockey elite have just discovered his wonderful two-way game.

But he's mentoring a rookie ... where's the **** emoticon when you need it

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 02:21 PM
Nitrous Mafia

LOLwild

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 02:27 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:

Could not have said it better myself. Amazing what having nationally televised games and a "hockey market" can do for the perception of a player in the biased media eyes.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 02:29 PM
Persona5

vCash: 700
Letang will win it imo. I agree with everything you said and it will be really hard for Weber or Rinne to win one of these awards here in Nashville. It's sad but true...

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 02:44 PM
Preddownsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
Letang will win it imo. I agree with everything you said and it will be really hard for Weber or Rinne to win one of these awards here in Nashville. It's sad but true...
While I think $uter will win it, it doesn't bother me much because awards mean nothing to me. I would feel the same way if Weber had won it last year. Only one trophy exists to show who the best team is. It's more of a Cup really.

Let $uter win the next 10 Norris trophies. As long as he either is not in the playoffs, or is bounced out scoring no points carrying a -5, I will not blink.

I guess that also stems from the fact that Nashville will always play the role of the non-traditional market. There will always be bias against the players just because they play here. But no one can vote a Stanley Cup away. It is 100% earned.

Preddownsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 02:52 PM
glenngineer

Hey, I hate Suter as much as anyone around here but here's a little tidbit for you guys to forget about some of the doom and gloom around here lately.

My wife was in Chicago this week for business and one of the people she was working with is a huge Hawks fan. He gave us massive kudos as a team. He said we are scary good when healthy and is scared of us next year when we do get healthy. He said Rinne is a beast and one of the best in the league.

While we don't always get the love from the media, it's good to see other die hard fans of other teams take notice of our team in a positive light. Thought I'd share that with you guys.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 07:18 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Totally agree. But in all reality, that trophy doesn't mean anything when he got bounced in 5 games.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 10:01 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Totally agree. But in all reality, that trophy doesn't mean anything when he got bounced in 5 games.
gotta disagree. for him personally it would mean for the rest of his career he would be "Norris Trophy winner Ryan Suter" which I suspect is kind of a big deal to those guys.

That said i expect Letang or Subban to get it. If you dont think the eastern media dominates and dictates the voting just look at the Hart nominees.. all three from the East, even though Toews was a beast and Chicago was the best team in hockey this year by far

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 10:54 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

I guess we'll know soon enough. But if the past is any indicator, they will be going by points. If that holds true, fair or not, Subban takes it.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 12:25 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Melrose and others are picking Suter because "he plays all the tough minutes" and TOI is over 27 minutes.
Except he didn't "play the tough minutes" this year. His offensive zone starts check in at 49.9%, which doesn't rank in the top 50 among defensemen with 30+ GP, and is 45th among defensemen with 40+ GP. His qualcomp doesn't crack the top 30 among defensemen with 40+ GP, and his Corsi numbers are mediocre at best. Letang has been just as effective, but has played fewer games. Suter played significantly tougher minutes last year with Nashville... and the two previous years. His Corsi numbers were much better and his zone starts were MUCH more difficult than what he got with Minnesota.

Alex Pietrangelo plays tough minutes. Shea Weber plays tough minutes. Dion Phaneuf probably plays the toughest minutes in the NHL for the Maple Leafs. Suter's numbers don't stack up to those guys.

Give it to Subban.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 01:01 AM
Machinehead
★★★★

This kind of thing is unfortunate but I think it's always gonna be there because the media is the media and that's what they do.

Here's a guy who I always saw and most people always saw as #2 behind Weber and now that he's in "the right state" as it were I'm supposed to believe he's the best. Hogwash.

I also feel like it's kind of insulting the way he was noticed by so many "Experts" on tv like his talent is a sudden revelation. I guess now that he's in Minnesota we can talk about him.

But like the former glenngineer pointed out, the media may be ignorant to the hockey world in Nashville but the fans of the sport are noticing, and I know this personal experience because I myself noticed. That's how I ended up watching the Predators and getting to know the Predators, and all you fine people. And to me the respect of the fans really means more than the respect of the media.

Of course the fans won't give Weber a trophy, but if they could, they would

DEUTSCHLANDWELTMEISTER2014
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 06:25 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
I wanna know where Melrose and all theses twerps talking about "playing the tough minutes" were when "PK? NO WAY!" Karrlson won last year

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote