HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Eastern Semifinal: (1) Pittsburgh Penguins vs. (7) Ottawa Senators PT II

Closed Thread

Old
05-19-2013, 12:23 PM
BK201

vCash: 500
With spezza in I wonder how well Turris will do without top competition against him.

Old
05-19-2013, 12:28 PM
Super Six
The Future has CLASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyDump View Post
Expect a different game tonight. My bet is that the Sens take this.

Bylsma makes a smart move by inserting Eaton for Engelland, which had to happen. Can't have a Murray Engelland pairing on the road. The insertion of Spezza will help the PK, while the insertion of Eaton will help the Pens PK....good move by Bylsma.

However, Joe Vitale is not available for tonight's game. He's a guy that wins 60% of his faceoffs and provides speed and energy. Instead of replacing him with Jokinen who is also 60% on faceoffs and has some nice craftiness, he inserts Tanner Glass and moves Adams to C. Adams is about 42% on faceoffs and Glass is slow and provides nothing more than a bit of a physical game.

I just don't think this is a smart road game move. The Pens faceoffs and speed on the 4th line will take a big hit tonight and could haunt them.

Nothing Bylsma does surprises me.
Honestly, as a Sens fan, inserting Tanner Glass seems pointless. Jokinen has experience and is good on the faceoff dot. The only thing that sticks out to me about Tanner Glass is him getting beatdown by Matt Carkner back in 2010.

Old
05-19-2013, 12:29 PM
TheRollingPuck
Keep Calm & Corsi On

I realize this is kind of "shoulda, woulda, coulda" but... I think the Sens could win tonight if they eliminate preventable errors. Lack of discipline, bad puck management, sloppy line changes, soft goals, etc. Those things have contributed towards goals or killed their momentum. Factor that in with home ice and an Ottawa win seems plausible.

Old
05-19-2013, 12:38 PM
Micklebot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
With spezza in I wonder how well Turris will do without top competition against him.
Well, he played primarily against Malkin and Crosby's lines, does Maclean change that? With last change

Pageau's line was used the most against Crosby's and Pageau seemed to win that battle, so maybe he sees even more of Crosby freeing up Turris for one of the other lines. Does that mean more Malkin though or more of the 3rd/4th lines? I'd think if we're choosing, we might want Spezza to get those favourable match-ups instead.

Old
05-19-2013, 12:43 PM
Zatch88
Im stumbling spheres

Crosby had a big game last time. Its Malkins turn tonight. I predict he has a big night. Spezza will be a non-factor just as Karlsson and Anderson have been all series. 4-2 pens.

Old
05-19-2013, 12:44 PM
Sawyer
Wheeeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
I realize this is kind of "shoulda, woulda, coulda" but... I think the Sens could win tonight if they eliminate preventable errors. Lack of discipline, bad puck management, sloppy line changes, soft goals, etc. Those things have contributed towards goals or killed their momentum. Factor that in with home ice and an Ottawa win seems plausible.
Seems like a bit much, lucky bounces could help em as well but with both Spezza and Karlsson being at 70%, they have a 30% chance of winning the game so long as they can win 52% of the faceoffs and if 65% of those faceoffs are in the Pens zone, than again, Anderson has to stop 94% of the shots this time

Old
05-19-2013, 01:44 PM
gordie

Quote:
Expect a different game tonight. My bet is that the Sens take this.

Bylsma makes a smart move by inserting Eaton for Engelland, which had to happen. Can't have a Murray Engelland pairing on the road. The insertion of Spezza will help the PK, while the insertion of Eaton will help the Pens PK....good move by Bylsma.

However, Joe Vitale is not available for tonight's game. He's a guy that wins 60% of his faceoffs and provides speed and energy. Instead of replacing him with Jokinen who is also 60% on faceoffs and has some nice craftiness, he inserts Tanner Glass and moves Adams to C. Adams is about 42% on faceoffs and Glass is slow and provides nothing more than a bit of a physical game.

I just don't think this is a smart road game move. The Pens faceoffs and speed on the 4th line will take a big hit tonight and could haunt them.

Nothing Bylsma does surprises me.
Tanner Glass is being dressed for a reason. Have you noticed how Paul Maclean's team played in the last series? Expect them to start plenty of garbage, especially if they get ahead in this game to distract and slow down the Pens. Glass and his fists need to be ready because there is a very good chance he will need to use them.

Old
05-19-2013, 01:49 PM
Super Six
The Future has CLASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie View Post
Tanner Glass is being dressed for a reason. Have you noticed how Paul Maclean's team played in the last series? Expect them to start plenty of garbage, especially if they get ahead in this game to distract and slow down the Pens. Glass and his fists need to be ready because there is a very good chance he will need to use them.
Tanner Glass isn't the most intimidating guy..

Old
05-19-2013, 01:51 PM
coladin

vCash: 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie View Post
One can only hope. Glass can't even beat the likes of Smith. Talk about bringing a knife to a gunfight.

Old
05-19-2013, 01:55 PM
Jaded-Fan

I want to see Shero come into Disco's office today and say to Bylsma:

'You can't start Glass tonight'

Old
05-19-2013, 01:55 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Six View Post
i think you've made the wrong inference here. Glass isn't there for his intimidating presence (which is non-existent) but because he is a willing participant. better to sacrifice Glass to the box than a more important PK forward or defenseman. the sens have scored three even strength goals and Engelland has been on the ice for all three. Glass while a worse fighter probably does less damage on the ice while providing something similar.

Old
05-19-2013, 01:56 PM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
but because he is a willing participant.
Kassian is our only willing participant.

Old
05-19-2013, 01:59 PM
bombers15

Teams down 2-0 often win the 3rd game at home. I could see Ottawa winning this one but losing the series.

Old
05-19-2013, 02:03 PM
Steve Durbano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Six View Post
I think it's a reaction by Bylsma because he's benching Engelland. He wants somebody on the ice other than Dougie if it gets ugly.

Old
05-19-2013, 02:04 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Anyone know if Lyndon Slewidge is doing the anthem? Hope it's him and not some terrible opera singer who doesn't know the words and makes 3 minutes worth of music last for 10.

Old
05-19-2013, 02:09 PM
ByeBye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Durbano View Post
I think it's a reaction by Bylsma because he's benching Engelland. He wants somebody on the ice other than Dougie if it gets ugly.
That would only make sense if Glass was actually any good at it.

Old
05-19-2013, 02:15 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
Kassian is our only willing participant.
you might think that, but you never know for sure. Kyle 'no career NHL fights' Okposo was a willing participant in the 'most significant' fight in the Pens/Isles series. Letang and Nisky are particularly stupid when it comes to fighting, so maybe Bylsma is hoping that Glass' presence will remind them that fighting isn't their job. but to be honest i find this whole song-'n-dance to be confounding. i'd rather he dressed the best players.

Old
05-19-2013, 02:17 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
Anyone know if Lyndon Slewidge is doing the anthem? Hope it's him and not some terrible opera singer who doesn't know the words and makes 3 minutes worth of music last for 10.
I'm not 100% sure but it'll most likely be him. He's our go-to guy in the Playoffs.

Old
05-19-2013, 02:25 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuernberger View Post
That would only make sense if Glass was actually any good at it.
Yes, this.

Old
05-19-2013, 02:33 PM
MurphyDump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
i think you've made the wrong inference here. Glass isn't there for his intimidating presence (which is non-existent) but because he is a willing participant. better to sacrifice Glass to the box than a more important PK forward or defenseman. the sens have scored three even strength goals and Engelland has been on the ice for all three. Glass while a worse fighter probably does less damage on the ice while providing something similar.
Glass is actually a PK regular. Him, Adams, Dupuis and Cooke.

So by removing him from the ice, you ARE actually losing a PK forward.

Glass provides nothing but a physical edge, but he's too slow for the playoffs and can't be effective.

The Pens will probably get smoked on the dot tonight and Jokinen could easily solve that problem. He's one of the league's best. Because Jokinen isn't in, Adams and his 42% faceoff is on the dot. Not good.

There's barely any fighting in the playoffs, so those inferring to Glass using his fists are way off. Don't need him.

Old
05-19-2013, 02:37 PM
gordie

Quote:

Glass provides nothing but a physical edge, but he's too slow for the playoffs and can't be effective.

The Pens will probably get smoked on the dot tonight and Jokinen could easily solve that problem. He's one of the league's best. Because Jokinen isn't in, Adams and his 42% faceoff is on the dot. Not good.

There's barely any fighting in the playoffs, so those inferring to Glass using his fists are way off. Don't need him.
Did you catch any of the Ottawa vs Montreal series? Expect something like what happened in this Game 3 as well.

Old
05-19-2013, 02:39 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombers15 View Post
Teams down 2-0 often win the 3rd game at home. I could see Ottawa winning this one but losing the series.
Would love to know what the stats are for that.

Old
05-19-2013, 02:41 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:

he's not really a PK regular anymore. since he's been removed from the line-up Adams, Duper, Cooke and Sutter have been doing the heavy lifting. Bylsma has also used Morrow and Kunitz on the PK at times. its conceivable that if Glass fights some dumbass the pens ARE not actually losing a PK forward (even if they are losing a forward who can PK).

i think those inferring that Glass is in the line-up because of his fighting ability are correct, because he brings nothing else to the table. his hits are pedestrian, the PK has basically moved on without him. that said, i don't think he is a particularly adept fighter and i don't think he should be in the line-up. but there he is.

Old
05-19-2013, 02:52 PM
BrawlFan

as a sens fan the more Tanner Glass the better. We suck on the PP anyway so what do I care if their PK gets better or worse.

Fact is he will not improve the lineup but will lower the quality. However a team with Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and Neal is not relying on a Tanner Glass in any capacity.

Old
05-19-2013, 02:53 PM
TertiaryAssist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Would love to know what the stats are for that.
Overall win% for leading team:

Game 3 record, NHL only, all rounds: 173-153 (.531)
Game 3 record, NHL only, Quarterfinals round: 61-40 (.604)

Leading team is higher seed:

Game 3 record, NHL only, all rounds: 128-115 (.527)
Game 3 record, NHL only, Quarterfinals round: 49-29 (.628)

WhoWins

Closed Thread