HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Eastern Semifinal: (1) Pittsburgh Penguins vs. (7) Ottawa Senators PT II

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2013, 08:28 AM
insomniac34
Canada is Coming

vCash: 500
Hard to gauge much of anything from Game 1. I think Game 2 is going to be HUGE for the path this series takes.

If the Pens win, the series is over in 4 or 5 games. If the Sens take it, it goes to 6 or 7.

Game 2 is going to tell us a TON.

I personally expect a completely different Sens team. McClean is too good a coach to not have his boys flying on Friday. I can only hope Bylsma will do the same.

Old
05-15-2013, 08:33 AM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by eNTe17 View Post
Laughable, based on one game`s performance?

Would you rather roll with Bishop?

Like the announcers on CBC said, other than the one early goal, three of those pens chances would result in a goal with most others goaltenders. Do take that with a grain of salt, but if you watch him move, you definitely get the point
No not at all. Based on a full body.
No one is better then Henrik and his performances in the playoffs the last two years easily shows how elite he is.
The same argument can be made for Quick.
Anderson should have let up a 5 th goal if it was for a nice defensive play.

Old
05-15-2013, 08:37 AM
Richard

I loved the way the Penguins played last night. They were totally smacking the Senators until each whistle, until the play had moved on. The Sens were trying to slash, wack and hack the Pens instead of getting to their game. Hilarious.

Also, five on five the Penguins were clogging up the neutral zone with ease. If Crosby plays up to his potential there were several 3 on 2 rushes that could have ended up with prime scoring chances. Sid was just a little off.

The Penguins were more physical and had puck support.

In the Dzone they had a couple breakdowns-not many- but they allowed Ottawa to shoot those low percentage shots and they angled the Senators away from the front of the net all game.

If the Penguins keep this up it will be real difficult for the Sens.

Old
05-15-2013, 08:45 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post

Also, five on five the Penguins were clogging up the neutral zone with ease. If Crosby plays up to his potential there were several 3 on 2 rushes that could have ended up with prime scoring chances. Sid was just a little off.
They checked Sid pretty tight. This is to be expected. But what the Pens have that most other teams don't is that second part of the two-headed monster. Malkin's role is that much more important and is the reason why in tight games...playoff games...Malkin benefits so much from the other team playing their best d-men on Crosby.

Detroit fans love to tell the story of how Crosby didn't show up in the finals and Malkin did. Oversimplification. Smart defensive teams know that they can't play their top pairing 30-35 minutes a game, so you have to pick your poison. They would rather focus on shutting down Crosby than Malkin and hope that Geno has one of his off games, which he is prone to - certainly more prone to than Crosby. Crosby doesn't have off games, quite frankly. He is the monster you know you need to control.

If Malkin shows up, like he did last night, the Pens are virtually unbeatable.

Old
05-15-2013, 08:49 AM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
No not at all. Based on a full body.
No one is better then Henrik and his performances in the playoffs the last two years easily shows how elite he is.
The same argument can be made for Quick.
Anderson should have let up a 5 th goal if it was for a nice defensive play.
Anderson is fine. He'll go elite/Hasekian in short spurts, 15-20 games in regular seaon and 5-10 games in the playoffs. Against elite competition like the Penguins he is going to need a LOT of help from his d crew and the whole team, to be honest. He should be better on Friday, but at the moment the team has exceeded expectations so I'm not overly concerned about his (or any other) performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
In the Dzone they had a couple breakdowns-not many- but they allowed Ottawa to shoot those low percentage shots and they angled the Senators away from the front of the net all game.

If the Penguins keep this up it will be real difficult for the Sens.
We had a few choice shots but unfortunately couldn't capitalize on Vokoun's "scrambliness". We'll see on Friday...if we lose that one 4-1 or 5-2 then it's going to be over very, very quickly.

Old
05-15-2013, 08:50 AM
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
They checked Sid pretty tight. This is to be expected. But what the Pens have that most other teams don't is that second part of the two-headed monster. Malkin's role is that much more important and is the reason why in tight games...playoff games...Malkin benefits so much from the other team playing their best d-men on Crosby.

Detroit fans love to tell the story of how Crosby didn't show up in the finals and Malkin did. Oversimplification. Smart defensive teams know that they can't play their top pairing 30-35 minutes a game, so you have to pick your poison. They would rather focus on shutting down Crosby than Malkin and hope that Geno has one of his off games, which he is prone to - certainly more prone to than Crosby. Crosby doesn't have off games, quite frankly. He is the monster you know you need to control.

If Malkin shows up, like he did last night, the Pens are virtually unbeatable.
Fair points, however, last night Crosby had several good opportunities that he let slip away due to his own errors. Letting the puck slide off of his stick while stickhandling, flubbing passes and overskating the play. NOT to say Ottawa did not play him well-after the 5 minute mark of the 1st they did- but Sidney himself left plays out there. THAT, in and of itself, is very rare.

Old
05-15-2013, 08:52 AM
Csteamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Sandwich View Post
He's been very good on the powerplay, but he's been pretty terrible even strength. I think the reason is simply he's not sure where his position is supposed to be. On the powerplay everything is clearly defined and he just has to follow the plan, at even strength it requires a lot more subtle understanding of the defensive scheme and he's just not doing it right. He's constantly on top of other Penguins, skating past passes, and he doesn't know which direction his support is coming from during a board battle.
I agree with this. He seems a little lost out there. I think all of that comes with time. He's only been on Crosby's line for about three games now. For whatever reason (probably having two right wings on the same line, and two guys who want to shoot a lot), the Malkin-Neal-Iginla line didn't work.

He is still producing point-wise, but like another poster said earlier, if the light-bulb comes on and the chemistry gets there, watch out.

Old
05-15-2013, 08:52 AM
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
Anderson is fine. He'll go elite/Hasekian in short spurts, 15-20 games in regular seaon and 5-10 games in the playoffs. Against elite competition like the Penguins he is going to need a LOT of help from his d crew and the whole team, to be honest. He should be better on Friday, but at the moment the team has exceeded expectations so I'm not overly concerned about his (or any other) performance.

We had a few choice shots but unfortunately couldn't capitalize on Vokoun's "scrambliness". We'll see on Friday...if we lose that one 4-1 or 5-2 then it's going to be over very, very quickly.
The Senators had a couple of high quality chances coming from the Penguins breakdowns, from my count last night-3 really high scoring chances. Ironically enough, their only goal came due to a relatively routine play.

It will say a lot about the Senators how they are able to battle through the Penguins checking down low in game 2. The Islanders responded and gave the Penguins a total battle. Let's see how the Sens respond.

Old
05-15-2013, 08:56 AM
Csteamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
Anderson is a good goalie but I wouldn't call him elite.
I hope he doesn't start for the US team.
I think at this point, Quick is a lock to start for the US team, if healthy.

Old
05-15-2013, 08:58 AM
nTsplnk*

Anderson is a really good goalie. Last night he made a lot of stops Nabokov wouldn't dream of making.

Good goalies are beatable though.

Old
05-15-2013, 09:01 AM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutks View Post
Pretty different scenario though between the Pens v Isles game 1 and the Pens v Sens game 1
Quoting this for truth. The Isle's were MUCH better in game 1 than the Sens were tonight.

Old
05-15-2013, 09:02 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

It's pretty simple in my mind.

On the plus side, I think Ottawa can play better.

On the negative side, I think Pittsburgh can play better.

Old
05-15-2013, 09:03 AM
wingnutks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherDigest View Post
Anderson is a really good goalie. Last night he made a lot of stops Nabokov wouldn't dream of making.

Good goalies are beatable though.
I agree. I think Anderson's game last night was better than any game Nabby played, and the Pens still won. I think it is going to be tougher for the Sens than they think.

Old
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Quoting this for truth. The Isle's were MUCH better in game 1 than the Sens were tonight.
Montreal was much better in Game 1 than the Pens as well.

It's funny how that works out.

Just a low energy game really.

Old
MrG
Spezza B Good

vCash: 50
I thought the Sens played pretty well 5 on 5, and controlled the play in the last 1/2 of the 1st period, and almost all of the second.

PP and PK were bad, and this series will be over fast of that doesn't improve.

Limiting turnovers is so key against the Pens. They will burn you just on skill alone.

I think the Sens will come out much stronger in game 2. They didn't play as physical as they did against the Habs, and realistically they didn't play all that bad in game 1.

There's really no reason to hang their heads here. They played a good game, couldn't buy one on Vokoun, and got burned on a couple of turnovers.

Hit the reset button and come out firing in game 2.

Old
05-15-2013, 09:06 AM
wingnutks

Quote:
Its not even that, look at the Isles in game 1, they were pretty damn timid. It was 98% of the teams first NHL playoff game (including their star player and all their coaches). I gave the Isles less of a chance in winning game 1 than I did them taking the series! However for the Sens, I really think game 1 was going to be one of the easier ones for the Sens to win.

Old
05-15-2013, 09:10 AM
Shoofyou10

For me the Sens have been counting on Anderson to win them games because their offense isn't all that great and can be very inconsistent. But the Pens have the firepower to get to Anderson a little bit more than a team like the Canadians did.

I think the Sens will adjust and maybe get a game or two but I just think the lack of speed (the main thing that give the Pens problems) and not enough offensive firepower to get it done over the course of a series.

If I'm a Sens fan, I'm not too discouraged yet but I just don't think that they have enough of the things that give the Pens trouble over a long series.

Old
05-15-2013, 09:29 AM
SpezDispenser

Impressed by the Pens resilience last night. We came at them pretty hard for one and a half+ periods, but they stayed with it, sheltered Vokoun really well and then came right back at Anderson - who was really solid despite the 4 goals.

Still really proud of the Sens. They came out and played hard. Cowen had some shaky moments, but that'll happen. Pageau is a really strong player though. We're learning! It hopefully will be a long series, so I'm hoping for a rebound in the next game!

Go Sens!

Old
05-15-2013, 09:31 AM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoofyou10 View Post
For me the Sens have been counting on Anderson to win them games because their offense isn't all that great and can be very inconsistent. But the Pens have the firepower to get to Anderson a little bit more than a team like the Canadians did.

I think the Sens will adjust and maybe get a game or two but I just think the lack of speed (the main thing that give the Pens problems) and not enough offensive firepower to get it done over the course of a series.

If I'm a Sens fan, I'm not too discouraged yet but I just don't think that they have enough of the things that give the Pens trouble over a long series.
Montreal was a team that was slumping and it's offense was score by committee all year. The Pens are the highest scoring in the league, with superstar talent.

Anderson will let up goals. He may steal a game. Ottawa's offense has to be better if they want a chance.

Adding Spezza makes this a different series for Ottawa.

Old
05-15-2013, 09:33 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Depends on how he plays (if he plays).

I know Sens fans have been citing stats from previous times he's returned from injury, but it's a tall order in the playoffs.

I think hoping/expecting Spezza to be the Deus Ex Machina is unfair to Spezza and a lot of wishful thinking on the part of Sens fans.

If Ottawa is going to stay in this series, it's going to be the guys that got them here, not the late additions (and I'm including Karlsson in that), who really have to make the difference.

Spezza and Karlsson will not be healthy enough to make a substantial difference IMO.

Old
05-15-2013, 09:58 AM
wej20

Do Sens have anyone they can put in instead of Kassian? he seems redundant in playoffs especially when Sens already have Neil, Cowen and Smith.

Old
05-15-2013, 10:02 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Do Sens have anyone they can put in instead of Kassian? he seems redundant in playoffs especially when Sens already have Neil, Cowen and Smith.
Preaching to the choir my friend.

After the two home games, we assumed he'd come out for Game 5 in Montreal given that the Habs would have last change.

He went on to get 2 assists on the PP after Montreal gave up.

I'm guessing it has to do with MacLean's unwillingness to change up the roster on a winning streak.

Other guys he could put in, include: Jim O'Brien, Mark Stone, Peter Regin, Mike Hoffman and then the less likely candidates like Noesen, Puempel and Da Costa.

Old
05-15-2013, 10:03 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuppa chupp View Post
Will Byslma have the balls to drop Iginla out of the top 6? I'm not saying do it now, but it's something interesting to note if the centers he plays with continue to struggle.

By the way, the Pens looked like absolute **** in that 2nd period.
Bylsma doesn't have the balls to do that. What I saw last night was that Ottawa has two really big issues to deal with:

1. As a few people have mentioned, Malkin seems to be going into that zone. And, like Carolina in 2009, I'm not sure the Sens have a guy or two who really match up decently against him. I suspect that Bylsma has more power to slow Malkin down in this one by putting Iginla with him and Neal. IMO, the only two people from yesterday's lineup who don't belong with Malkin and Neal are Iginla and Adams.

2. Special teams . . . the Sens PP isn't producing. BUT, I watched the Sens try both aggressive and passive approaches against the Pens PP, and neither worked.

Doesn't mean either holds for a series, but I'm thinking that these are two things that Paul MacLean won't be able to adjust around.

Old
05-15-2013, 10:08 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post

Uh, I personally think that Anderson is the reason the outcome of the game was very much in doubt after the first.

Old
05-15-2013, 10:09 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Latendresse as well I think.

Closed Thread