HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Eastern Semifinal: (1) Pittsburgh Penguins vs. (7) Ottawa Senators PT II

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2013, 11:09 AM
Cheapseats
Cigars N F-Bombs

vCash: 500
Anderson is allowed one medicore game, after all, he's human. Sens were well into the game until the 3rd period in my opinion. 1st game jitters are over now.
Although, I did think it would be 10-1 at the beginning of the game. They need to stay out of the box. Pens had a hard time keeping it in the Sens end and were able to answer to the pens forcheck.

Either way Pens clearly proved they were the better team. It will be a decent series but I predict Pens in 5.

Old
05-15-2013, 11:09 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutks View Post
Its not even that, look at the Isles in game 1, they were pretty damn timid. It was 98% of the teams first NHL playoff game (including their star player and all their coaches). I gave the Isles less of a chance in winning game 1 than I did them taking the series! However for the Sens, I really think game 1 was going to be one of the easier ones for the Sens to win.
Don't disagree. BUT, there's a difference between a team with 15 guys playing their first playoff games ever and a team with a lot of young guys playing their 6th playoff game. I don't think the comparison holds.

Old
05-15-2013, 11:11 AM
coladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
But they do have ridiculous depth. That was a quick turn-around with tons of players chipping in.
And the great thing for Ottawa this year is players like Pageau, Wiercoch, Gryba, the unheralded picks, are the players that were discovered through our miserable injury streak. Players that started in ECHL, players who were not counted to be impact players. These guys are not the "heralded" rookies like Zbad, Silfverberg and Lehner.

So yeah, my gravy is delicious!

Old
05-15-2013, 11:17 AM
Sportserie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
Impressed by the Pens resilience last night. We came at them pretty hard for one and a half+ periods, but they stayed with it, sheltered Vokoun really well and then came right back at Anderson - who was really solid despite the 4 goals.

Still really proud of the Sens. They came out and played hard. Cowen had some shaky moments, but that'll happen. Pageau is a really strong player though. We're learning! It hopefully will be a long series, so I'm hoping for a rebound in the next game!

Go Sens!
Honestly, I was super nervous as a Pens fan when it was 2-1. It really could have gone either way during a certain stretch and I turned to my dad and even said if the Pens do not make it 3-1 very soon, Ottawa is going to win this game. There was a long while the Pens couldn't get anything together offensively and the credit for that goes to Ottawa.

This game was much closer than the final score for sure. This series is going to be tight, I really think so.

I am so impressed with Ottawa. What a team you guys have. No one expected you to prevail like you have but you found a way. It is amazing.

That said, Go Pens lol but I respect the hell out of Ottawa. I really like the team and their fans.

Old
05-15-2013, 11:19 AM
The Angry Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Other guys he could put in, include: Jim O'Brien, Mark Stone, Peter Regin, Mike Hoffman and then the less likely candidates like Noesen, Puempel and Da Costa.
Isn't Peter Regin the guy who turned into an All star for a few games the last time the Pens and Sens faced off in the playoffs?

Old
05-15-2013, 11:37 AM
ChocolateLeclaire

This discussion is far too civil. I miss the vitriol of Habs fans. ha ha

Pittsburgh is a dang good hockey team. They have more finish than Helsinki so relying on Anderson is not going to get Ottawa very far against them. Our inability to score on the powerplay could be our undoing.

Old
05-15-2013, 11:50 AM
Luigi Lemieux

I don't think Anderson is as big of a key to this series as people were saying. The pens are going to score goals no matter who is in the other net. This pens team is much deeper than the 2010 team so i don't think they're going to get Halak'd in this one. Key for the sens is to put more pressure on the pens d and create more chaos in front of the pens net.

Old
05-15-2013, 11:51 AM
wingnutks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Don't disagree. BUT, there's a difference between a team with 15 guys playing their first playoff games ever and a team with a lot of young guys playing their 6th playoff game. I don't think the comparison holds.
I am not quite sure I understand?

Old
05-15-2013, 11:51 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Is anyone from Ottawa blaming Anderson for last night? I thought he had a terrific game. I was there live and it looked very difficult to get by him. Even though the Pens scored 4, it didn't have that Nabokov/Fleury/Bryz feel to it. I thought that was one of the best 4 GAA games in awhile. Vokoun had a similar game against Isles in Game 6.

Old
05-15-2013, 11:52 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Angry Pirate View Post
Isn't Peter Regin the guy who turned into an All star for a few games the last time the Pens and Sens faced off in the playoffs?
Yeah.

It was pretty much the last good stretch of games he's played.

Old
05-15-2013, 11:54 AM
BeerMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
This discussion is far too civil. I miss the vitriol of Habs fans. ha ha

Pittsburgh is a dang good hockey team. They have more finish than Helsinki so relying on Anderson is not going to get Ottawa very far against them. Our inability to score on the powerplay could be our undoing.
This is my new favorite phrase.

We are a little too nice in here though. For two teams meeting for the fourth time in six playoffs, very little hate. Maybe it's just been over sold after the Cooke/Karlsson incident snd we're all tired of the narrative.

Last edited by BeerMe: 05-15-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old
05-15-2013, 12:03 PM
coladin

I think it is important to note that Ottawa had a 3 game winning streak snapped, so a Game 1 loss does not have to be the series clincher yet. We'll see how they respond. Can't lie, though, I don't like that thereis an extra day between the games, I think that hurts Ottawa who seem to play better on a more normal schedule. If they come out again like they did in Game 1 in the first 5 minutes, which seems to be their routine on the road, we could be in deep trouboe again. Pens are 5-2 and we are 4-2 so far in the playoffs.

Old
05-15-2013, 12:24 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Going down 2-0 against this Pens team would likely be fatal.

Old
05-15-2013, 12:27 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
I just wish we could play strong fundamental hockey instead of just out-talenting teams. It might work against Cinderellas like Ottawa and the Isles, but it will not fly against Boston or Chicago.

Who knows, it might not even work against Ottawa. They controlled play the majority of last night. If Silvferberg could shoot it at all, that game is up in the air.

Old
05-15-2013, 12:28 PM
Penny Lane
Sens fan in the USA.

Quote:
Is anyone from Ottawa blaming Anderson for last night?
Nope. Not that I've seen anyway.

Old
05-15-2013, 12:54 PM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Sandwich View Post
I just wish we could play strong fundamental hockey instead of just out-talenting teams. It might work against Cinderellas like Ottawa and the Isles, but it will not fly against Boston or Chicago.

Who knows, it might not even work against Ottawa. They controlled play the majority of last night. If Silvferberg could shoot it at all, that game is up in the air.
Yeah the win was nice, but it's still a little worrisome that the pens keep getting outplayed. This isn't the 2008 or 2009 penguins that bowled everyone over and spent 70% of the game in the other team's end. I think this team is capable of that, on paper it's deeper and more talented than the cup team. It seemed like they coasted to a 4-1 win in a game played in February, very little intensity.

Old
05-15-2013, 12:57 PM
Iffyiffiffer
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeD View Post
The Real Deal has been a ghost so far this post-season. 4 pt game to end the season, so I doubt he's hurting.
He was injured in game 1 and missed a few games.

Old
05-15-2013, 01:00 PM
Mark Messier
Getting To My Game

Pens need to regain that killer instinct they had in 09 and put their collective skate on Ottawa's throat in Game 2. I just can't imagine a scenario where Ottawa wins 4 out of 5 against the Pens.

Old
05-15-2013, 01:01 PM
Dagwood

Good comments from both sides in this thread. Well Done

With all things being equal, and by that I mean 5 on 5 play this was a 2-1 game with the first goal going in off Cowen which beat Anderson. The Pens PP is deadly, but even there, Cowen had a deadly shift, worst I think I've seen from him that resulted in Malkin potting a goal on the door step. Everything else is pretty much covered but I didn't see any type of domination from the Pens that has me worried too much at this point. And yes I realize both teams have more to bring than shown in game 1.

Basically I'll chalk it up to Puck Luck. Pens had it...we got none. Lot's of opportunities...just couldn't get a stick on the puck in order to cash in. Michalek had one hop over his stick...wide open net comes to mind.

Game 2 should notch up another level I'm sure...either way, Sens have a big hill to climb and that's no surprise to anybody....we just need to work our way up it a bit at a time.

Old
05-15-2013, 01:02 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
Yeah the win was nice, but it's still a little worrisome that the pens keep getting outplayed. This isn't the 2008 or 2009 penguins that bowled everyone over and spent 70% of the game in the other team's end. I think this team is capable of that, on paper it's deeper and more talented than the cup team. It seemed like they coasted to a 4-1 win in a game played in February, very little intensity.
Being there live I thought the structure was okay. We activated our defense until after 1st. It looked solid. Game plan worked.

Old
05-15-2013, 01:24 PM
Push540

For the sens to win this series, they have to be PERFECT from now on.
One or two penalties per game MAX.
The sen PP must get into gear IMMEDIATELY.
The sen PK must knock the Pens PP down into the 20% range IMMEDIATELY.
Anderson needs his D-men to clear the front of the net so he can see the blasts from the points, to limit the tips in front of the net and guard against garbage goals.
The line changes MUST be clean and quick, an odd man rush can easily be a goal.
The young gun sens need to be better overnight, somehow.
The sens need to take the body to the pens as often as possible.

For Pittsburgh to win, they just need to show up and have those gatling gun forwards blast Anderson.

Old
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

I think Pittsburgh was content to play with the lead.

It's a bit deceiving when one team is behind and needs to score, while the other really just needs to keep the score where it is and capitalize on any mistakes.

Any assessment of Pittsburgh's 5 on 5 play should keep that in mind.

Their PP goals were very timely as well. Right off the bat, and right at the end of the 2nd. Both killers IMO.

Old
Hear Me Now
YES! YES! YES!

I would love the Pens to get outplayed for the next 11 games so long as they win!

Old
05-15-2013, 01:25 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hear Me Now View Post
I would love the Pens to get outplayed for the next 11 games so long as they win!
As a fan of a team that was apparently dominated in Round 1, I understand your sentiment perfectly.

Old
05-15-2013, 01:27 PM
Push540

Quote:
Is anyone from Ottawa blaming Anderson for last night? I thought he had a terrific game. I was there live and it looked very difficult to get by him. Even though the Pens scored 4, it didn't have that Nabokov/Fleury/Bryz feel to it. I thought that was one of the best 4 GAA games in awhile. Vokoun had a similar game against Isles in Game 6.
When every shot is high quality, no goalie can be blamed for letting them in. Pittsburgh is so dangerous, every shot they have can be a goal. Soo nerve racking to see them play against the sens.

They just hammer, hammer, hammer, hammer etc. and on and on.

I've seen barbarians who ease up on opponents more than the pens do.

Closed Thread