HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings XV

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2013, 10:35 PM
topched

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno23 View Post
Gunnar ideally would be a 5/6. He is not physical enough or have enough offence to play top 2 pairs would be better in a smaller role.

If other teams view him as a top 4 D then move him and get a good return back. He can be easily replaced by numerous NHL vet guys while the young kids develop
I think you're concept of average D pairings is off...

Playoff Teams # 4 Dmen (based on TOI/pairings)

Ottawa: Chris Phillips
Pittsburgh:Matt Niskanen

NYR: Anton Stralman (usually MDZ b/c of Staal's injury)
Boston: Andrew Ference

SJS: Justin Braun
LAK:Robyn Regehr

DET: Kyle Quincey
CHI: Johnny Oduya

Of those guys, with the exception of Ference and Michael Del Zotto, I don't think I'd take anyone of hte other guys over Gunnarsson. Phillips and Regehr were once borderline all-star dmen, but are merely a shadow of that at this point. Quincey, Braun, Oduya and Niskanen I wouldn't trade 1 for 1 with Gunnar. Ference is better than Gunnar at this point and has a ton of experience. NYR may have the best dmen in the league.

Old
05-22-2013, 10:39 PM
nazembiggs*

Any interest in Stålberg? Always liked him as a leaf and I think he would be great on the third line with bozak and frattin. Get the old frat pack together. They had chemistry before, and the signing would allow Leo to slide to the fourth line were he is better suited. That will also allow us to take one of Orr or Mclaren out the lineup as there's no reason for two goons on the fourth line. I think this move would be simple, yet effective as Stålberg could probably be had for cheap.

Old
05-22-2013, 10:42 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazembiggs View Post
Any interest in Stålberg? Always liked him as a leaf and I think he would be great on the third line with bozak and frattin. Get the old frat pack together. They had chemistry before, and the signing would allow Leo to slide to the fourth line were he is better suited. That will also allow us to take one of Orr or Mclaren out the lineup as there's no reason for two goons on the fourth line. I think this move would be simple, yet effective as Stålberg could probably be had for cheap.
Stalberg is mostly a product of his linemates imo. Guy with speed and hands decent enough to finish plays set up by Kane/Toews/Hossa/Sharp.

I don't think he'd be all that effective in a 3rd line role. Reminds me a little of Jannik Hansen in Vancouver. I don't want that type of third line.. Would rather have a little more jam.

Old
05-23-2013, 12:30 AM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazembiggs View Post
I'd rather go after another Chicago player, Bickell.

Does Stalberg use his size at all? At 6'3 he is a pretty big guy. Doesn't hit much I see but sometimes big guys can protect the puck extremely well.

Old
05-23-2013, 02:47 AM
dubplatepressure

Sean Monahan scouting:

Quote:

Scouting Report: He is gifted enough that in most years he would be a top three overall pick.
Has all the tools you look for in a legitimate #1 centre: excellent size, a smooth, deceptive stride, great
stickhandling skills, and tremendous creativity and passing touch. Is able to hold onto the puck that extra split second, drawing checkers to him and then finding his wingers with perfectly placed feeds.
Has shown great character this year, persevering through very trying times. Does the little things well.
That's a redline report.... if Monahan's ranked 9 or 10 and is usually a top3 in another draft, what's that say about the top-7?

Anyway... just food for thought.

Old
05-23-2013, 03:54 AM
showtime8

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post

Of those guys, with the exception of Ference and Michael Del Zotto, I don't think I'd take anyone of hte other guys over Gunnarsson. Phillips and Regehr were once borderline all-star dmen, but are merely a shadow of that at this point. Quincey, Braun, Oduya and Niskanen I wouldn't trade 1 for 1 with Gunnar. Ference is better than Gunnar at this point and has a ton of experience. NYR may have the best dmen in the league.
I wouldn't even say that Ference is heads above Gunnarsson to warrant a trade. But basically I would say that he fits somewhere in the middle of the pack of the guys that you pointed out.

Old
05-23-2013, 05:46 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:

If Toronto's top-3 looked anything like the top-3s of those teams, Gunnarsson would be an adequate #4.

Compare Toronto's top-3 from this season to the rest.

Phaneuf, Kostka, Gunnarsson in Toronto.
Chara, Seidenberg, Boychuck in Boston.
Keith, Seabrook, and Hjalmarsson in Chicago.
Kronwall, Ercisson, and Smith in Detroit.
Doughty, Voynov, and Scuderi in Los Angeles.
Girardi, Staal, and McDonagh in New York.
Karlsson, Gonchar, and Methot in Ottawa.
Letang, Martin, and Orpik in Pittsburgh.
Boyle, Vlasic, and Stuart.

This list is exactly why I have been so insistent that we need to upgrade our blueline. Even if you slot Gardiner in, we need a top-2 guy.

I think Phaneuf is the weakest #1 in that group. I'm sure a few would disagree with a couple, but at best, he's one of the weakest.

Kostka is easily the weakest #2. Gardiner would be the weakest of the group as well.

Gunnarsson is the weakesy #3 with the exception of Smith.

Old
05-23-2013, 08:28 AM
Budsfan

We may already have a good D, in Paul Ranger, if he decides to play for the Leafs this coming year, he could fill a spot in the top 4, on the backend.

Phanuef/Ranger-Gunnarsson
Ranger-Gunnarsson/Gardiner
Fraser/Franson
Liles/O'Byrne

Kostka not re-signed

Old
05-23-2013, 08:32 AM
ryno23

Quote:

Oduya, Regher, Ference, Niskinan, Phillips all bring a physical dimension Gunnar doesn't which is huge in the playoffs.....how many times was Gunnar knocked off the puck or was soft in front of our net or yet worse coughed up the puck with a soft play.

I would deal Gunnar for Oduya, Niskanen in a heartbeat more all round D than Gunnar.

Some people in here love Gunnar but if he was not on the Leafs and someone else came in did the job no one would be crying for Gunnar to come back. He is a replacement type guy much like Stajan who got good ice time because of lack of depth . I don't hear many crying for Stajan to come back.

Old
05-23-2013, 09:02 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
I wouldn't even say that Ference is heads above Gunnarsson to warrant a trade. But basically I would say that he fits somewhere in the middle of the pack of the guys that you pointed out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
If Toronto's top-3 looked anything like the top-3s of those teams, Gunnarsson would be an adequate #4.

Compare Toronto's top-3 from this season to the rest.

Phaneuf, Kostka, Gunnarsson in Toronto.
Chara, Seidenberg, Boychuck in Boston.
Keith, Seabrook, and Hjalmarsson in Chicago.
Kronwall, Ercisson, and Smith in Detroit.
Doughty, Voynov, and Scuderi in Los Angeles.
Girardi, Staal, and McDonagh in New York.
Karlsson, Gonchar, and Methot in Ottawa.
Letang, Martin, and Orpik in Pittsburgh.
Boyle, Vlasic, and Stuart.

This list is exactly why I have been so insistent that we need to upgrade our blueline. Even if you slot Gardiner in, we need a top-2 guy.

I think Phaneuf is the weakest #1 in that group. I'm sure a few would disagree with a couple, but at best, he's one of the weakest.

Kostka is easily the weakest #2. Gardiner would be the weakest of the group as well.

Gunnarsson is the weakesy #3 with the exception of Smith.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno23 View Post
Oduya, Regher, Ference, Niskinan, Phillips all bring a physical dimension Gunnar doesn't which is huge in the playoffs.....how many times was Gunnar knocked off the puck or was soft in front of our net or yet worse coughed up the puck with a soft play.

I would deal Gunnar for Oduya, Niskanen in a heartbeat more all round D than Gunnar.

Some people in here love Gunnar but if he was not on the Leafs and someone else came in did the job no one would be crying for Gunnar to come back. He is a replacement type guy much like Stajan who got good ice time because of lack of depth . I don't hear many crying for Stajan to come back.
Keep in mind the age of some of the players involved in this discussion.

Gunnarsson is 26 years old, 10 months older than Franson.

Some of the guys listed above are seasoned vets, 29-34 years old. Oduya 31 <-- lot of upside here?

Gunnarsson has less than 4 years on the small ice, Franson has 20.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
05-23-2013, 10:09 AM
LeafsTop6

Alexander Burmistrov wants out

With everyone talking about how lowering the salary cap will have GMs looking at more RFAs offer sheets. What about this?

Quote:
Soon to be restricted free agent Alex Burmistrov reportedly does not want to be a Winnipeg Jet anymore.

According to a report in the Winnipeg Free Press by Gary Lawless - who is also a drive-time host on TSN 1290 Radio in Winnipeg - two league sources stated that the 21-year-old, who wished to be moved at the trade deadline in March, is standing by that request.

When contacted by the Free Press, Burmistrov's agent Mark Gandler didn't have much to say.

"The only question I'm going to answer is to say that Alex is not going to sign in the KHL," Gandler stated.

Burmistrov, who was a healthy scratch in four straight games in March, has 23 goals and 58 points in 194 career NHL games.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=423761

this is what hes described as on HF

Quote:
Long-term, he is capable of being one of those special players capable of putting up big numbers and constantly creating scoring opportunities for himself and his teammates
Hasn't been really electrifying in his first few seasons, but did have 13 goals in his second season in less than 82 games, I wonder how much it would take to get him, maybe add to our centre corps for cheap..

Old
05-23-2013, 10:21 AM
Daisy Joy
Jerry D'asigo

again: I have to ask why he doesn't want to play there.

is it Media related? Does he hate living in Manitoba? is it a whine? I don't think I want a prima donna on the team, but if it's not a good situation say: he doesn't like the media, then that's an issue. if he hates winnipeg, well then that's a horse of a different colour.

Old
05-23-2013, 10:28 AM
Vexxed14

I was a big fan of Burmistrov as a Barrie Colt.

I would be all over this kid considering where we are right now in development and our situation with Bozak and to a lesser extent Grabo.

I know its not the 'dream' centre by any means but I think that young C with big upside don't become available very often. Character is obviously a question that needs an answer though

Old
05-23-2013, 10:29 AM
zoomzoom

vCash: 50
Richards a healthy scratch tonight .. maybe protecting him for the buyout? lol

Old
05-23-2013, 10:35 AM
Daisy Joy
Jerry D'asigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom View Post
lol you reallllly have to wonder.

Old
05-23-2013, 10:41 AM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

Quote:
LOL

sell the farm for him boys

Old
05-23-2013, 10:43 AM
Vexxed14

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CyNick View Post
LOL

sell the farm for him boys
Lol its fairly obvious in hindsight that Burke was better off in Afghanistan than hanging around to overpay for this washed up guy.

Old
05-23-2013, 10:46 AM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Wow.... what a disappointment. He's like the Tim Connolly of the NHL playoffs (Connolly = 1 pt in 6 GP, Richards = 1 pt in 10 GP).

Man... if I own the Rangers I'm super, super POd at giving this guy $18 million in cash over the last 2 seasons.

Old
05-23-2013, 10:49 AM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
Wow.... what a disappointment. He's like the Tim Connolly of the NHL playoffs (Connolly = 1 pt in 6 GP, Richards = 1 pt in 10 GP).

Man... if I own the Rangers I'm super, super POd at giving this guy $18 million in cash over the last 2 seasons.
Those guys make more money than we could imagine so I wouldn't feel too bad for them.

Old
05-23-2013, 11:11 AM
Vexxed14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Those guys make more money than we could imagine so I wouldn't feel too bad for them.
I think its pretty ignorant to think money washes away problems lol.

Old
05-23-2013, 11:18 AM
Diatomic
~~~ NAZEM KADRI ~~~

Should the Leafs sign Brad Richards (once he is bought-out)

With Richards being a healthy scratch in game 4, there's a great chance he's a scratch because they want to prevent injury in order to buy him out.

Once he is bought-out, should the leafs sign Brad Richards?

Old
05-23-2013, 11:21 AM
showtime8

That's a lot of money to eat for the Rangers.

If they can get him at 3 mill for a couple years, I think it will be worth it.

Old
05-23-2013, 11:22 AM
The Iceman

He snubbed us once, what makes you think he would sign with the Leafs now if he gets bought out?

Old
05-23-2013, 11:23 AM
dfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsWantStanley View Post
With Richards being a healthy scratch in game 4, there's a great chance he's a scratch because they want to prevent injury in order to buy him out.

Once he is bought-out, should the leafs sign Brad Richards?
probably more due to the fact hes playing like trash

also, to answer your question, in my opinion an immediate NO

Old
05-23-2013, 11:24 AM
Deebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iceman View Post
He snubbed us once, what makes you think he would sign with the Leafs now if he gets bought out?
Who knows what his second choice was.

Closed Thread