HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

So where are the Canucks putting their affiliate? UPD: Utica NY

Old
06-16-2013, 10:06 AM
UticaHockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disengage View Post
Not sure what they actually expected to sell but this is a good sign.

Edit: Apparently over 500.

http://www.uticaod.com/sports/x14847...t-day-of-sales
Excellent first day season ticket sales. Especially considering it was a Saturday so I'm not sure it included a lot of business sales. They are open again today on Father's Day to go down to the Aud and pick out your seat.

UticaHockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 03:22 PM
Disengage

Quote:
Teddy Gruber
What division/conference will Utica be in?
Like · · 14 hours ago near Elmwood Park, IL

Utica Comets
North Division, of the Western Conference
From the team's Facebook. I assume that means Iowa to Midwest and Abbotsford to South.

Disengage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 07:13 PM
IceCapsFanNL

Congrats to the newest AHL fan base from the second newest fan base.

IceCapsFanNL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 08:33 PM
aparch

Quote:
From the team's Facebook. I assume that means Iowa to Midwest and Abbotsford to South.
Good. Means that the Chicago Wolves may get to see the Comets come to town for a rematch.

Would have been nice to have the Icecaps come to town the last few years, but now having the Wolves play the Icecaps wouldn't mean much of anything.

aparch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 08:52 PM
Disengage

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparch View Post
Good. Means that the Chicago Wolves may get to see the Comets come to town for a rematch.

Would have been nice to have the Icecaps come to town the last few years, but now having the Wolves play the Icecaps wouldn't mean much of anything.
Conference placing means nothing in AHL scheduling. Rochester hasn't played Chicago/Milwaukee/Rockford in like 5 years.

Old
06-16-2013, 09:27 PM
aparch

Quote:
Conference placing means nothing in AHL scheduling. Rochester hasn't played Chicago/Milwaukee/Rockford in like 5 years.
But had no problem having San Antonio, Texas, and Oklahoma City on the schedule.

I know that it depends on both teams willingness and wherewithal to schedule the other and to travel to each other, but it just seems silly that stuff like skipping over a bunch of teams to play some others happens.

I miss seeing the smattering of Eastern teams that used to visit the western conference. You can only play Rockford and Milwaukee so many times before it goes from heated rivals to "Jesus Christ, not them again..." apathy.

aparch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 12:15 AM
The Hutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
That kind of surprises me as there still is a rather sizable amount of Leaffans out here.
This is true, but there is a sizable portion of Leafs fans at every Marlies game. Just not a huge presence. A nice moment from when the Marlies eliminated the Heat in Abbotsford, was that most of the Leafs fans gathered around the Heat side of the rink. After Zigomanis scored, the team celebrated in the corner in front of a nice group of Leafs fans.

The Hutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 10:26 AM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparch View Post
But had no problem having San Antonio, Texas, and Oklahoma City on the schedule.

I know that it depends on both teams willingness and wherewithal to schedule the other and to travel to each other, but it just seems silly that stuff like skipping over a bunch of teams to play some others happens.

I miss seeing the smattering of Eastern teams that used to visit the western conference. You can only play Rockford and Milwaukee so many times before it goes from heated rivals to "Jesus Christ, not them again..." apathy.
Axe can give you Dave Andrews take on the schedule!!!

Chicago is willing to travel to any team to play them but the issue is when the east sent their biggest and baddest one season on a west conference tour, they got their butts handed to them. They won only one game (I think) and then no eastern team ever came back here, and no rochester either and we saw teams once. A once hated IHL rival Moose only came to town once or twice a year. Same for the hated Griffins.

C'mon Axe, we really need the almighty commissioner's famous words of why team play each other 12 to 14 times a year......

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 10:30 AM
WolfKeeper

Must be those east-coast buses that have special AHL mandated gas tanks that only let them drive two hours max

WolfKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 01:01 PM
axecrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Hawk View Post
Axe can give you Dave Andrews take on the schedule!!!

Chicago is willing to travel to any team to play them but the issue is when the east sent their biggest and baddest one season on a west conference tour, they got their butts handed to them. They won only one game (I think) and then no eastern team ever came back here, and no rochester either and we saw teams once. A once hated IHL rival Moose only came to town once or twice a year. Same for the hated Griffins.

C'mon Axe, we really need the almighty commissioner's famous words of why team play each other 12 to 14 times a year......
LORD DAVID the FIRST bestowed his imperial wisdom on the subject( not to be confused with us his "subjects") by stating that he would schedule anyone to play anywhere all the teams had to do was tell him they wanted to play each other. But added that he didn't understand why we would want to give up a "rivalry game ", versus a team we see more than we see our own mother and father, to play a team from out east.

axecrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 07:46 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by axecrew View Post
LORD DAVID the FIRST bestowed his imperial wisdom on the subject( not to be confused with us his "subjects") by stating that he would schedule anyone to play anywhere all the teams had to do was tell him they wanted to play each other. But added that he didn't understand why we would want to give up a "rivalry game ", versus a team we see more than we see our own mother and father, to play a team from out east.
LORD DAVE: And so said we shall consult the book of scheduling

EAST COAST TEAM OWNERS: Scheduling, Chapter Two, Verses Nine to Twenty-One. "And Lord dave raised the schedule up on high saying, 'Oh, Lord, bless this thy schedule that with it thou mayest blow thy enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy.' And the Lord did grin, and people did feast upon the lambs, and sloths, and carp, and anchovies, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats, and large --"

LORD DAVE: Skip a bit, Brother.

EAST COAST TEAM OWNERS: "And the Lord spake, saying, 'First shalt thou take out the Holy Pen. Then, shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out! Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then those teams within the count of three shall throw thy Holy Schedule of Springfield towards thou non east coast teams, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.'"

LORD DAVE: Amen.

ALL: Amen.

LORD DAVE: Right! One... two... five!

SIR CRUNCH: Three sir.

LORD DAVE: Three!

And this the schedule of Lord dave rained terror and apathy upon the teams not in the northeast portion of the lands, banishing them to forever play only the teams that the eastern that the northeastern teams are afraid to play.

Last edited by Tommy Hawk: 06-17-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old
06-17-2013, 08:33 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/player/XBOX/Hockey...ID/2391624818/

HNIC: Canucks wanted to put their AHL franchise in Seattle (Key Arena), but were told they could not. Why? It's the fall back position for the Coyotes (Glendale city council has until July 2 to finalize lease, or team is relocating to Washington).
Wonder what happens when Phoenix ends up sticking around

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 02:06 PM
UticaHockey

The Comets announced this today on their Facebook page. They are off to a great start!

4 days. 1,000 Utica Comets Season Ticket holders.

“The Utica Comets hockey fans have totally just blown us away. One thousand season tickets sold, with our box office being open for under thirty hours, is a great indicator as to just how ready Utica, NY is for AHL hockey.” said President Robert Esche. “Utica is a hockey town, and the response, through ticket sales, and social media further solidifies that fact.”

“I have owned seven professional sports teams, and I have never once seen 1,000 season tickets sold in a four day span.” said Chairman Frank B. DuRoss. “The fan response has been extraordinary.”

Old
06-19-2013, 02:45 PM
Disengage

Would be impressive if they could get half the building as STHers.

Old
06-19-2013, 08:23 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Would be impressive if they could get half the building as STHers.
Naw, that is only 1900 seats. Impressive would be if they have to set aside some seats for the general public to buy on game days, say 300.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 09:33 PM
RFA

If you've been to Utica recently, a three digit number is impressive, let alone a four digit number. Hopefully it works out long term. I can't think of many things better than a 3:00 brewery tour at Saranac/Matt's, then an evening game. If Utica works out, I'd imagine that there's no reason a team couldn't work in the Watertown area and Plattsburgh. Maybe some of those western teams who only want to play Chicago and Milwaukee. The could move to New York and have some variety in their schedule. Sorry.......

RFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 11:34 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfKeeper View Post
Must be those east-coast buses that have special AHL mandated gas tanks that only let them drive two hours max
To to be fair they have to get back so it's more like 4 hours.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 04:40 AM
Disengage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFA View Post
If you've been to Utica recently, a three digit number is impressive, let alone a four digit number. Hopefully it works out long term. I can't think of many things better than a 3:00 brewery tour at Saranac/Matt's, then an evening game. If Utica works out, I'd imagine that there's no reason a team couldn't work in the Watertown area and Plattsburgh. Maybe some of those western teams who only want to play Chicago and Milwaukee. The could move to New York and have some variety in their schedule. Sorry.......
Watertown is waaaaaaay too small. It makes Glens Falls look like a sprawling metropolis.

Old
06-25-2013, 03:19 PM
easternrefugee

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...move-to-utica/
According to this article it is a one year deal ONLY in Utica. Makes sense to move them further west in the future.

easternrefugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 05:17 PM
UticaHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by easternrefugee View Post
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...move-to-utica/
According to this article it is a one year deal ONLY in Utica. Makes sense to move them further west in the future.
Old and inaccurate news. It is a 6 year deal with an option for an additional 6 years.

http://wibx950.com/rob-esche-talks-a...m-renovations/

Old
06-25-2013, 05:59 PM
easternrefugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by UticaHockey View Post
Old and inaccurate news. It is a 6 year deal with an option for an additional 6 years.

http://wibx950.com/rob-esche-talks-a...m-renovations/
FYI all deals are multiple and all have an opt out clause........I doubt that they will be there for 6 years.

easternrefugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 06:23 AM
RFA

Sounds like a win-win to me. Vancouver has a cheap place to put their team for a year or two. Utica takes state money to fix up the Aud. Vancouver pulls out, and is left with 4,000 hockey fans in Utica hating them..... 3,999 were fans of other teams a month ago. Politicians look good for years with the stadium upgrades as reminders of their service.....

Old
07-01-2013, 02:48 PM
RFA

http://www.uticaod.com/features/x273...#axzz2XdGIaXg7

States Utica was talking to 7 AHL teams, and Calgary was interested.

Old
07-04-2013, 12:45 AM
hisgirlfriday

If the thing was temporary why couldn't they just leave the team in Peoria?

hisgirlfriday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 03:53 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hisgirlfriday View Post
If the thing was temporary why couldn't they just leave the team in Peoria?
Because they got Utica to foot the bill for any losses by having the team. They asked Peoria for $1.5 mil and Peoria told them to hit the road.