HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part LIX - All Talk From Around the League Here

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2013, 02:20 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB24 View Post
Sounds like excuses to me.
People have to start making a distinction between reasons and excuses.
You don't win when half of your 12 forwards are injured.

Old
05-22-2013, 02:50 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Vigneault and his assistants fired...amazing that Gillis created the mess and Vigneault pays for it.

Old
05-22-2013, 02:53 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Vigneault and his assistants fired...amazing that Gillis created the mess and Vigneault pays for it.
All coaches have a shelf life. Underperforming 2 straight years in the playoffs was the final straw.

Old
05-22-2013, 02:53 PM
WhiskeySeven
BargainUnbinned

Quote:
Vigneault is another one of those **** coaches who can't adapt and got a talented team to do all the work for him.

Old
05-22-2013, 03:08 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Vigneault is another one of those **** coaches who can't adapt and got a talented team to do all the work for him.
One win from touching the cup. Yup, that clueless SOB can't adapt...
Probably not even good enough to be a HF habs board poster.

Old
05-22-2013, 03:12 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
It's how the old saying goes...you can't fire 23 players, so you fire the coach.

I'm not surprised, but I don't think AV is a bad coach, nor do I think Gillis really created a "mess" (although their Cup window seems to be closed for a while at least). Just time to make a change.

Old
05-22-2013, 03:12 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
I totally agree. VAN wasn't built to win IMHO. Some questionable trades (Ballard, Booth, Kassian). Then you add injuries (Kesler). If anything, bringing that team within one win of SC was a great achievement.

Old
05-22-2013, 03:13 PM
Raider917

vCash: 50
id rather have vigneault than therrien

Old
05-22-2013, 03:17 PM
WeThreeKings
Retired.

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917 View Post
id rather have vigneault than therrien
Same.

Old
05-22-2013, 03:19 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Same.
Same. Bring him in here now and replace Lefebvre in Hamilton.

Old
05-22-2013, 03:19 PM
WhiskeySeven
BargainUnbinned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
One win from touching the cup. Yup, that clueless SOB can't adapt...
Probably not even good enough to be a HF habs board poster.
What are you, a rain dog? Quit following me around.

Vigneault's tactics were the end of him - he out-coached himself.

Old
05-22-2013, 03:22 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
I totally agree. VAN wasn't built to win IMHO. Some questionable trades (Ballard, Booth, Kassian). Then you add injuries (Kesler). If anything, bringing that team within one win of SC was a great achievement.
That team was one win away. Not sure how a team that isn't built to win gets so close to winning the cup.

People have to stop with these meaningless sayings. Winning a cup is extremely difficult, you have 30 teams battling to get a proper mix of skill, size, toughness, speed, discipline, depth, and intelligence. But even if you have that proper mix, you still need to be a luckier team than your opponent!

The Canucks had all they needed to win the cup, so did Boston. One team was luckier than the other, with a bit more depth, and that's who won.

Old
05-22-2013, 03:23 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
What are you, a rain dog? Quit following me around.

Vigneault's tactics were the end of him - he out-coached himself.
I like these boards, I want crap posts to disappear, so whenever I read crap I feel a need to call it out, especially when I know the poster is capable of posting way better things.

Old
05-22-2013, 03:25 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
That team was one win away. Not sure how a team that isn't built to win gets so close to winning the cup.

People have to stop with these meaningless sayings. Winning a cup is extremely difficult, you have 30 teams battling to get a proper mix of skill, size, toughness, speed, discipline, depth, and intelligence. But even if you have that proper mix, you still need to be a luckier team than your opponent!

The Canucks had all they needed to win the cup, so did Boston. One team was luckier than the other, with a bit more depth, and that's who won.
I should've added long term and winning in the playoffs. Didn't mean SC necessarily. I always thought they were too soft for that. The year they reached SC they didn't play a physical team until they faced Boston.

Old
05-22-2013, 03:30 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Vigneault is an arrogant ****, couldn't have happened to a nicer guy

Soon to be on L'antichambre

Old
05-22-2013, 03:35 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
I should've added long term and winning in the playoffs. Didn't mean SC necessarily. I always thought they were too soft for that. The year they reached SC they didn't play a physical team until they faced Boston.
It's a similar belief to our team, somewhat. They didn't lose to the Bruins because they were soft. I mean, when some people start crediting Shawn freaking Thornton for the Bruins winning the cup, you know they lost their mind and seriously can't assess properly anymore.

Boston won because of their depth and because Thomas had a Conn Smythe worthy performance. Meanwhile, Luongo allows 3 goals on 8 shots in Game 6 when they're up 3-2 in the series, and then allows 4 goals in 17 shots in game 7.
Lou played well in half the series, the other half he couldn't hold the fort long enough for his teammates to capitalize on a goalie that was seriously tough to beat.

It wasn't about being too soft. If you're too soft or intimidated, you don't push your opponent to game 7.

Old
05-22-2013, 03:46 PM
Roulin

If nothing else, Vigneault deserves credit for reviving Lapierre's career. After Anaheim, it seemed like Lapierre's time in the NHL might be over. Vigneault trusted him when nobody else did and put him in a role where he has been successful.

Old
05-22-2013, 03:51 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
If nothing else, Vigneault deserves credit for reviving Lapierre's career. After Anaheim, it seemed like Lapierre's time in the NHL might be over. Vigneault trusted him when nobody else did and put him in a role where he has been successful.
"Reviving" the career of a 4th liner and bringing him to the soaring highs of a 19 point season is not exactly something you list on your resume...

Old
05-22-2013, 03:53 PM
WhiskeySeven
BargainUnbinned

Quote:
I like these boards, I want crap posts to disappear, so whenever I read crap I feel a need to call it out, especially when I know the poster is capable of posting way better things.
I've never liked Vigneault's approach - not with his team's image of diving, not with his super-short shifts and uninspired hockey and especially not with how he treated Luongo. The Canucks were stacked the year they made the SCF, yes they were battered and bruised by the final but Boston had no business winning those games and Julien and the Bruins punked them.

Vigneault was always an arrogant, stubborn man - I don't have much respect for him.

Old
05-22-2013, 04:00 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
"Reviving" the career of a 4th liner and bringing him to the soaring highs of a 19 point season is not exactly something you list on your resume...
IMO it is. The Canucks had become top-heavy and needed cheap depth. Vigneault played a big part in creating some out of nothing.

He could say he found roles for the Sedins to succeed, but everyone would know that's BS, the twins would have been great with any coach. Vigneault's successes (Lapierre, Malhotra) and failures (Hodgson) are at the bottom end of the lineup.

Old
05-22-2013, 04:02 PM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:
I've never liked Vigneault's approach - not with his team's image of diving, not with his super-short shifts and uninspired hockey and especially not with how he treated Luongo. The Canucks were stacked the year they made the SCF, yes they were battered and bruised by the final but Boston had no business winning those games and Julien and the Bruins punked them.

Vigneault was always an arrogant, stubborn man - I don't have much respect for him.
Sounds like a substantial amount of bad feelings here towards Vigneault.

And the Bruins were far worse perpetrators during their playoff run: they were getting away with so much after-the-whistle antics it was absolutely disgusting. I mean, that punk Marchand punching Sedin in the head right on front of the ref?! That's not what I want to see in hockey, and you certainly don't see that in Olympic tournaments, which are exciting, fast-paced and mostly clean - arguably the best form of hockey.

Oh, and the Canucks D corps was absolutely devastated during the finals: Hamhuis lost, Rome suspended (longest SCF suspension ever... doled out by Mike Murphy *ahem* Colin Campbell), Salo out? Raymond also suffered fractured vertabrae in Game 3 - the second time the Bruins injured a player in that manner that very season after Pacs.

Old
05-22-2013, 04:13 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habdynasty View Post
I hope the penguins win the cup, that would make Vokoun the best goalie in the league. The Rangers need to upgrade their goaltending soon.
Good one!!!

Now Lets trade Price for Vokoun so we get better in the net!!

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 05-22-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old
05-22-2013, 04:27 PM
BBB24

Quote:
People have to start making a distinction between reasons and excuses.
You don't win when half of your 12 forwards are injured.
My mistake, I was not aware the habs had six forwards out of their lineup, guess no one would win with that issue.

Old
05-22-2013, 04:58 PM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 50
No vignault for coach thread?

Old
05-22-2013, 05:01 PM
Whitesnake
The Deeper the tank

vCash: 725
As if firing the coach is ALWAYS about firing the one responsible for the bad performances. It is more often than not a way to appease the crowd and save the GM's ass. That's all. Vigneault should get a job in no time. If Boudreau was able to...so will Vigneault. So should Boucher as well. And So should Dallas Eakins. And Lindy Ruff.

Dallas, Colorado and Vancouver have their vacancy..but who else? Did Buffalo confirmed Rolston? Did I miss that memo? Probably the other possible candidates would be Winnipeg or maybe it's the end for Tortorella after the next game?

Closed Thread