Notices

Rating our Flames

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2005, 04:28 PM
Blarney

vCash: 500
Rating our Flames

Hi all: just figured I'd take the time to rate our current NHL Flames using the HF rating system -- gives me a better idea of where the prospects might fit in, or who they might replace.

It would sure be nice to have a few more 8's on the team, but having a couple 9's in Iginla and the prospect Phaneuf is special.

What do you think of my rating for each player -- any comments on the players, or whether they should be upgraded or downgraded, is expected.

FORWARDS:
Jarome Iginla: 9A elite forward who excels in all facets of the game.
Daymond Langkow: 7.5B a second line forward on most teams, but will probably see first line action in Calgary. Exhibits consistent offensive upside.
Chuck Kobasew: 7.5C a second line forward whose performance in Lowell suggests first-line potential, however, has yet to prove his abilities will transfer to the NHL.
Stephen Reinprecht: 7C a second line forward with potential, but has yet to produce a 20G season.
Matthew Lombardi: 7C a second line forward who has yet to show he can sustain that level of potential.
Marcus Nilson: 6.5A has settled into a 3rd line checking role but can be utilized in offensive situations.
Stephan Yelle: 6A has proven himself to be a most reliable checking line center with no expectation to exceed that potential.
Chris Simon: 6.5B has enough talent to be frequently utilized on the first line, with aspects to his game that would have him excel on the fourth line, but primarily a 2nd to 3rd line power forward type player.
Shean Donovan: 6B a 3rd line player who had a show of offensive flair last season, but not enough consistency to graduate to a 2nd line player. Is primarily a defensive player with speed.
Martin Gelinas: 6B a hard-working tenacious 3rd-line player who can occassionally have success on the top two lines when required. His age may have him playing in a reduced role however.
Chris Clark: 5.5B reliable and hard-working 3rd to 4th line player, but as more able prospects are introduced to the team, may fall off the radar.
Ville Nieminen: 5.5B an entertaining high-energy 4th line agitator.
Lynn Loyns: 4.5B a reserve forward who will get the occasional call-up to the NHL.

DEFENSEMEN:
Jordan Leopold: 8.5B shows the potential to be a steady #1 defenseman who, once solidifying his defensive play in the NHL, will find the confidence to more frequently display his offensive skills.
Robyn Regehr: 8B an exceptionally steady number two defenseman
Rhett Warrener: 7A a dependable defensive defenseman
Tony Lydman: 7B exhibits consistent and dependable play as a top four defenseman with offensive upside
Andrew Ference: 6.5C aspects of his game reflect top four potential, but his lack of ideal size is detrimental to his overall success.
Anders Eriksson: 6C has had an up and down and well-travelled career, but will probably no longer exceed a #6 role.
Steve Montador: 5.5C should establish himself as a regular NHL defenseman
Mike Commodore: 5C will probably not establish a regular role in the NHL.

GOALIES:
Miika Kiprusoff: 8B performed very well as a #1 goalie last season, but questions remain as to whether that level of performance can be maintained in the long run.
Roman Turek: 6.5A -- very good backup goalie who could take over #1 duties if needed.

Old
05-13-2005, 04:53 PM
johnny cool

Send a message via AIM to johnny cool
2 things: I'd put Regehr ahead of Leopold, if only due to Leopold's health concerns

and also where is Dion Phaneuf?

Old
05-13-2005, 04:54 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

I believe Commodore will establish himself as a regular NHLer.

Old
05-13-2005, 05:44 PM
abracanada

Kipper is better than 8. We are talking about a player who set records, and was instrumental in the turnaround of a franchise.

I think Langkow is also underrated a bit.

Old
05-13-2005, 07:55 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada
Kipper is better than 8. We are talking about a player who set records, and was instrumental in the turnaround of a franchise.

I think Langkow is also underrated a bit.
You cannot put Kipper higher than an 8 or else he would be borderlining a franchise player. In order for him to see such a rating, he needs to do it consistancly for a few years, not just 30ish games for ONE season.

Old
05-13-2005, 09:15 PM
Gelinas Time

Surprisingly, I agree with almost any of those rates.

Old
05-14-2005, 02:46 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan
You cannot put Kipper higher than an 8 or else he would be borderlining a franchise player. In order for him to see such a rating, he needs to do it consistancly for a few years, not just 30ish games for ONE season.
I am not trying to be a smart ass here, but where would you rate Crosby if he joined the Flames?

Old
05-14-2005, 03:00 PM
johnny cool

Send a message via AIM to johnny cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada
I am not trying to be a smart ass here, but where would you rate Crosby if he joined the Flames?
probably 8A right off the bat if we're ranking it in terms of current NHL players

Old
05-14-2005, 04:15 PM
Blarney

Crosby career potential, given the hype, would be, IMO, given a rating of 9B or 9.5C. Everyone thinks he will be an elite player, but its not a certainty at this point. Phaneuf is a 9A, and thus a higher rating than Crosby, because I think it has been demonstrated that he has the ability to be an elite NHL defenseman. The one thing with young scorers, especially in the QMJHL, is that they don't always live up to expectations once they have to negotiate a bunch of other big, more consistently highly skilled players at the NHL level in a more close-checking and rougher league. Time will tell, but there are always those questions in my mind, thus the B or C ratings.

Old
05-14-2005, 04:31 PM
Blarney

Concerning Kiprusoff, I agree with Patrick - Flames Fan, before he came to CGY, his rating probably would have been about 6C. Now, after 30 odd games and a trip to the finals with CGY, we view him as an 8 because of the excellent positional play, his ability at gathering up pucks, and his extraordinarily calm demeanor, that SHOULD continue to be the quality of his game for a few years to come. But I don't see him as a franchise goalie, AND there are certainly questions as to whether he can sustain this level of play. What happens to his game, for instance, if they go with smaller equipment or bigger nets, and he has to move a bit more, thus sacrificing his strong position - it could knock him off his game perhaps. What if CGY's defense goes to pot (BIG IF) and he is faced with better quality shots. Part of his success with CGY was definitely due to his teammates -- would he have had the same breakthrough season and display of maturity on a different team? PIT perhaps???? Probably not. I think Kiprusoff is destined to be a great goalie, especially if CGY continues to play the same style of hockey for years to come, but I don't think he is at the level of Brodeur, Roy, and Belfour who would have been rated as 9's IMO.

Old
05-14-2005, 04:41 PM
abracanada

In many ways, it is semantics. Either you believe his performance was a "one of" situation where he will not perform that well ever again, or he is a potential franchise goalie. I wouldn't give his teammates all of the credit. The Flames were floundering before he came, and they worked their way through two or three guys. He may not have done as well in San Jose playing third string, but he took the ball when given a chance, and surpassed both of the guys in front of him in San Jose. Break out or fluke? My money is on break out.

Closed Thread