HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - XL

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2013, 05:30 PM
Moore Money

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Cup expectations are a weird thing.

People act like there's a direct relationship between having the best roster and having playoff success. There really isn't, or at least not a strong one. 5 of the 8 teams with home ice were knocked out in the first round this year, and a 6th only escaped by virtue of a miracle collapse.

You go deep in the playoffs by staying healthy, getting lucky in terms of the teams you face and the matchups you get, and having some guys get hot at the right time.

That happened for us in 2011 until our entire defense got injured and we were screwed over by the league. It didn't happen this year.

There's a great quote from Ken Holland a few years back where he notes that some of what he thought were the best Wing teams were knocked out in the first round, and some of the more average ones ended up going deep - his take was that the playoffs are a lottery, and all you do is get there with the best team you can every year and eventually things will bounce your way.

This team is still a contender. We've won 5 division titles in a row and are a year removed from 2 President's Trophies with the same core still intact. The mix has gone a bit off the past couple years and we've had terrible luck. We just need to properly address some weaknesses and keep coming back at it year after year until we can't win division titles or legitimately compete anymore.

There will be a few changes, hopefully another forward with hands and another defender who can log reliable minutes. And we'll be a contender again.

People like everything to be black and white. This is the best team, so this is the team that wins the Cup. That isn't how it really is.
you forgot one key point. scoring goals, it's kind of important in the playoffs.

something this current team has proven it cannot do.

Old
05-18-2013, 05:43 PM
Falconator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
Edler, Jensen, 1st for Loui Eriksson
What???

Old
05-18-2013, 05:44 PM
Vankiller Whale
All hail WMD

vCash: 400
Quote:
it's all about chemistry.. and eriksson is a proven top line winger that has chemistry with the twins..
Tarasenko and Kovalchuk were dynamite in the KHL together. Should New Jersey offer Larsson + 2 1sts for Tarasenko?

I'd love to get Eriksson, but at a reasonable cost. Otherwise there are plenty of UFA options available.

Old
05-18-2013, 05:55 PM
Moore Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
What???
Dallas would have to add something like robidas and a 2nd or whatever but a trade is there.. that makes sense for both teams.

Old
05-18-2013, 05:56 PM
Moore Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Tarasenko and Kovalchuk were dynamite in the KHL together. Should New Jersey offer Larsson + 2 1sts for Tarasenko?

I'd love to get Eriksson, but at a reasonable cost. Otherwise there are plenty of UFA options available.
yeah.. like who? what are our option.. please tell me.

Old
05-18-2013, 05:58 PM
Vankiller Whale
All hail WMD

Quote:
yeah.. like who? what are our option.. please tell me.
Jagr, Iginla, Ryder, Clowe, Clarkson...any of those players + Edler makes us a better team than with Eriksson, to say nothing about losing Jensen + 1st

Old
05-18-2013, 06:01 PM
Moore Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Jagr, Iginla, Ryder, Clowe, Clarkson...any of those players + Edler makes us a better team than with Eriksson, to say nothing about losing Jensen + 1st
none of those players are first liners..

although we could sign one of them in addition to getting Eriksson which would make sense.

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson
Burrows-Kesler-Clarkson/Iginla/Clowe

now that is a legit top 6

Old
05-18-2013, 06:01 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
In this 'likely' roster...you have Higgins, Kassian, Weise, Hamhuis, and Bieksa all playing on the wrong side. That is...unlikely.
oh whatever, use your "brain" and flip them. i literally just copied the template from the post above me to make a point

Quote:
Especially when you've got stuff like 2 RWs playing on the same line and 2 LWs playing on the other, along with 2 RH shooting defencemen playing on the same pairing. The forward scenario being extremely unlikely...the defence scenario being downright impossible. You will not see 2 RHS defencemen on the same pairing unless something extremely catastrophic and unlikely occurs. VERY few RH shooting defencemen have any significant experience playing on the Left side.
you're being pedantic, and its stupid. stop it.

Old
05-18-2013, 06:03 PM
Vankiller Whale
All hail WMD

Quote:

although we could sign one of them in addition to getting Eriksson which would make sense.

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Still, the difference between Edler and Eriksson is minimal. No where close two 2 1sts. Every player in the league has inconsistencies and flaws, including Eriksson.

Old
05-18-2013, 06:03 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
That happened for us in 2011 until our entire defense got injured and we were screwed over by the league. It didn't happen this year.

There's a great quote from Ken Holland a few years back where he notes that some of what he thought were the best Wing teams were knocked out in the first round, and some of the more average ones ended up going deep - his take was that the playoffs are a lottery, and all you do is get there with the best team you can every year and eventually things will bounce your way.
my favourite tidbit from 2011 is the irony that we had a full roster other than malhotra because of injuries. there was serious concern that salo or edler or bieksa might have to be moved at the deadline because of cap concerns with salo returning and instead elder went out and "hurt himself"

Old
05-18-2013, 06:04 PM
Canucker

Quote:

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

That's also a lot of money.

Plus, I really like Eriksson as a player, but not at that cost.

Old
05-18-2013, 06:07 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
I agree with everything until the last sentence. We had the best record in the NHL in the 2nd half of 2011-12, but because we weren't quite as dominant and didn't score quite as many goals as the 120 games immediately preceding that everyone acts like we were crap. We weren't. We were just the best team in the league by a smaller amount that we had previously been the best team in the league.
also note that the biggest competition that year, the kings, got astronomically better at the deadline

Old
05-18-2013, 06:13 PM
Moore Money

Edler, Jensen, 1st

for

Eriksson, fidler, Robidas

Old
05-18-2013, 06:15 PM
Verviticus

i dont really want "fidler" or robidas

Old
05-18-2013, 06:17 PM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
oh whatever, use your "brain" and flip them. i literally just copied the template from the post above me to make a point

you're being pedantic, and its stupid. stop it.
My point is, with a good deal of those groupings, you can't flip them because that doesn't work either.

And it's not being 'pedantic'...It's paying attention to detail. And if you want a roster to be taken seriously as a 'most realistic' scenario, it would be beneficial to observe some of the details that play a significant role in real world lineups. Eg: handedness, preference, tendencies.

Old
05-18-2013, 06:17 PM
Tiranis

I don't understand why Canucks are giving up all those extras in an exchange of players who are pretty equivalent in terms of value. Eriksson's only extra value comes from his contract which maybe is worth a 1st or 2nd. Certainly not Jensen.

Old
05-18-2013, 06:18 PM
Moore Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
i dont really want "fidler" or robidas
either does bieksa

Old
05-18-2013, 06:18 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Edler, Jensen, 1st

for

Eriksson, fidler, Robidas
That would be taking on even more salary that we would have a tough time swallowing. Plus, Robidas is running on fumes.

Old
05-18-2013, 06:20 PM
Moore Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I don't understand why Canucks are giving up all those extras in an exchange of players who are pretty equivalent in terms of value. Eriksson's only extra value comes from his contract which maybe is worth a 1st or 2nd. Certainly not Jensen.
well if we can get him for cheaper I'm all for it obviously.. I just think teams would make some pretty good offers if he was available.

Old
05-18-2013, 06:21 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
well if we can get him for cheaper I'm all for it obviously.. I just think teams would make some pretty good offers if he was available.
Which is exactly what Edler + 1st/2nd would be. A very good offer. And the only reason we would even be adding is because we're the team with the need.

Old
05-18-2013, 06:24 PM
Verviticus

in the long run edlers contract isn't really much worse than erikssons. they're both underpaid and edler's underpaid for three years more

Old
05-18-2013, 06:30 PM
Moore Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Which is exactly what Edler + 1st/2nd would be. A very good offer. And the only reason we would even be adding is because we're the team with the need.
wouldn't be enough IMO

I guess it depends on how Dallas values Edler. hopefully more than I do.

Old
05-18-2013, 06:31 PM
Verviticus

well they value goligoski and connauton so...

Old
05-18-2013, 06:31 PM
Verviticus

i notice you traded a legit 40 goal guy for goligoski. what if i said i had a guy kinda like him, but a lot better in all the things you can do to play hockey? hmm?

RIP joe nieuwendyk

Old
05-18-2013, 06:54 PM
Cogburn

Edler for Tampa Bay's 3rd overall.

Kesler+Burrows for Florida's 2nd overall , plus...I don't know, Fleischmann? Versteeg? Kopecky+2nd (if they have another one other then theirs)?

Buy out Booth and Ballard, or get what you can for them.

I don't know where Lu goes. Bare with me.

Resign Roy and Tanev.

Boom, instant shake up.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Drouin-MacKinnon-Kassian
Higgins-Roy-Hansen
[Insert 4th line here]

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Garrison-Tanev
[Insert bottom pairing]

Schneider
Lack

Closed Thread