HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - XL

Closed Thread

Old
05-21-2013, 11:41 AM
Bleach Clean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
Here is Gillis being a reactionary GM again. Why doesn't he set the trend instead of lag it? His Detroit model was a bad Hamhuis hip check away from winning the cup ffs
In some respects I agree, he's chasing things a bit. However, even Detroit is bringing Tootoo, giving a more prominent role to Abdelkader, and generally trying to be more robust than they usually are. Fans have cited this as a cause for the disconnect between Holland and Babcock.

Bottom line, the team just needs better players. Aside from Lappy, Hendricks seems to be clearly better than any other 4th line option on the team. Style becomes a secondary point as a result.

Old
05-21-2013, 11:42 AM
Vankiller Whale
All hail WMD

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cee View Post
We need 4th liners who score 30 goals a season.
We need at least one player who can score 30 goals a season.

Old
05-21-2013, 11:47 AM
Ronaldo
OVOXO

vCash: 855
We need to get better on the faceoff circle.

Old
05-21-2013, 11:55 AM
Bleach Clean

I want to see 12 NHL regular forwards iced in a given game. Doesn't matter if they aren't ideal for their position, just 12 players you know belong in this league on one of the better clubs.

Old
05-21-2013, 11:57 AM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Very true, but how about 10 guys that score 15 + ?

If Kassian was fit enough to play all 82 games with the Sedins, I wonder how many he would score? Maybe, he's the 30 goal scorer you speak of?

Old
05-21-2013, 12:00 PM
NYVanfan

Quote:
other than Daniel, yes.
ive been harping about that for a while ...the one glaring difference btw us and the other western contenders (possibly all contenders) is that we have only one 30-goal guy. All others have multiple. Burrows and Kesler dont count, IMO ...both have reached that mark, but only once. Higgy, Hansen, Raymond, etc all nice tweeners, but ideally bottom 6. Excellent goaltending plus O from the D covered us for a while ... not replacing Erhoff reduced the latter, leads to Nashville-level scoring with too wide-open style = disaster (and f'ing over the best goalie our sad franchise has ever seen ...possibly 2.)

Critical needs = a bonafide top 6 scoring winger, a pre-injury manny replacement and an erhoff replacement, in that order.

Old
05-21-2013, 12:42 PM
Vankiller Whale
All hail WMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
other than Daniel, yes.
ive been harping about that for a while ...the one glaring difference btw us and the other western contenders (possibly all contenders) is that we have only one 30-goal guy. All others have multiple. Burrows and Kesler dont count, IMO ...both have reached that mark, but only once. Higgy, Hansen, Raymond, etc all nice tweeners, but ideally bottom 6. Excellent goaltending plus O from the D covered us for a while ... not replacing Erhoff reduced the latter, leads to Nashville-level scoring with too wide-open style = disaster (and f'ing over the best goalie our sad franchise has ever seen ...possibly 2.)

Critical needs = a bonafide top 6 scoring winger, a pre-injury manny replacement and an erhoff replacement, in that order.
The problem Daniel isn't a 30-goal guy anymore either, unless he manages to rebound strongly next year. His finishing ability has been horrendous all year.

Old
05-21-2013, 12:47 PM
NYVanfan

Quote:
The problem Daniel isn't a 30-goal guy anymore either, unless he manages to rebound strongly next year. His finishing ability has been horrendous all year.
yes, he had a bad year (thanks to ol 'dirty-elbows Duncan, who was at it again last night, btw...), but was still not far from PPG, and the point is he's a 4-time 30+ guy (with 2 other 29 campaigns), so he's still a legit goalscorer. He is not the problem. The problem is we dont have 2 or 3 of him.

Old
05-21-2013, 01:01 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Well, Hendricks as a 4C isn't bad. Good on face offs, hits a lot, and can kill penalties. Anything more than $1M or a 4th line role and I'll be super pissed.

Old
05-21-2013, 01:03 PM
Vankiller Whale
All hail WMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
yes, he had a bad year (thanks to ol 'dirty-elbows Duncan, who was at it again last night, btw...), but was still not far from PPG, and the point is he's a 4-time 30+ guy (with 2 other 29 campaigns), so he's still a legit goalscorer. He is not the problem. The problem is we dont have 2 or 3 of him.
Time to find that long lost Sedin triplet.

Old
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Well, Hendricks as a 4C isn't bad. Good on face offs, hits a lot, and can kill penalties. Anything more than $1M or a 4th line role and I'll be super pissed.
He won't be coming here for less than 1.5 imo. He will garner a lot of interest from around the league. You'll be super pissed over 500k? Will do for the 4th line what Malhotra did for the 3rd in 2010.

Would be a perfect tandem with Lappy and give us a decent 4th line for the first time in years.

Old
PRNuck

Quote:
Don't forget he's a shootout wizard too. Can't hurt.

Old
05-21-2013, 01:04 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
Cizikas has 3rd line upside and is extremely tenacious in his 4th line role with the Islanders now. I do not see him making the Canucks line-up right away, but rather a year away.

Martin is a good 13th forward to have. He is a banger that doesn't completely suck. Certainly better than Sestito.

The 2nd is to balance value.

I clearly don't value Bieksa has high as you do
Sorry, I had to laugh at this post. Martin is a good 13th forward?

Most of you here have no clue of Matt Martin and Casey Cizikas.

That is all.

Old
05-21-2013, 01:07 PM
struckmatch

Unsure why this Alain Vigneault situation is dragging on. If it goes on past this week (without any clarification on the coaching position for this organization) it's ridiculous.

This decision dictates what Gillis will do as a GM from a player personnel standpoint.

With his comments regarding younger players being given opportunities, I can see guys like Jensen, Gaunce, Lain, and Corrado being given full time roles or roles on this team with extended looks.

There is absolutely 0 second wave in this organization. '

The Sharks have a second wave in Couture, Braun, Irwin, Pavelski.

The Blackhawks are still very young.

The Red Wings second wave is on display right now, with Nyquist, Andersson, and Brunner (despite him being older than a usual rookie)

This team needs to get bigger, younger, and more skilled. Too many tweeners playing in the top 6 and offensive production from the bottom 6 in the playoffs is like trying to squeeze blood from a stone.

Old
05-21-2013, 01:07 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
He won't be coming here for less than 1.5 imo. He will garner a lot of interest from around the league. You'll be super pissed over 500k? Will do for the 4th line what Malhotra did for the 3rd in 2010.

Would be a perfect tandem with Lappy and give us a decent 4th line for the first time in years.
Manny was one of the top defensive forwards in the league in 2011 but also put up 30ish points. Hendricks hasn't hit double digits since 2011. He also isnt an elite checker like Manny was. I don't see how the two are comparable.

Yes I would be pissed over $500k+ because this team needs offensive help and Hendricks doesn't address that at all.

05-21-2013, 01:09 PM
thepuckmonster
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Manny was one of the top defensive forwards in the league in 2011 but also put up 30ish points. Hendricks hasn't hit double digits since 2011. He also isnt an elite checker like Manny was. I don't see how the two are comparable.

Yes I would be pissed over $500k+ because this team needs offensive help and Hendricks doesn't address that at all.
Yeah, comparing Hendricks to Manny is a big insult to Malhotra.

Before the eye injury Malhotra might have been the best third liner (unless at the time you considered Jordan Staal a third liner) in the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
I want to see 12 NHL regular forwards iced in a given game. Doesn't matter if they aren't ideal for their position, just 12 players you know belong in this league on one of the better clubs.
That would be nice. I'm tired of having various scrubs rotate in and out of the line up. Surely there were better options for a spare forward to hide in the AHL instead of Ebbett.

Old
05-21-2013, 01:11 PM
thepuckmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
Sorry, I had to laugh at this post. Martin is a good 13th forward?

Most of you here have no clue of Matt Martin and Casey Cizikas.

That is all.
Thank you for bringing reason and logic into that proposal.

NYI takes Bieksa and runs far, far away with that deal.

Ballard, Luongo and Bieksa for Cizikas, Martin and DiPietro -- might as well make it a blockbuster.

Old
05-21-2013, 01:13 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:

Let me repeat myself - Hendricks could do to the 4th line what Malhotra did to the 3rd line.

I'll repeat myself again, and bold it for you: Hendricks could do to the 4th line what Malhotra did to the 3rd line. As per usual, I simply cannot make it more clear than that.

The team needs far more than offensive help, and Hendricks addresses some of those issues. Faceoffs - check. PK'ing - check. Effort and energy - check. The other thing he brings to the table is that he is an actual, legitimate 4th line player. As we routinely get beat by teams that can ice a 4th line capable of 8-10 minutes per game perhaps it might be time to improve upon such luminaries as Sestito and Pinzotto.

Old
05-21-2013, 01:14 PM
thepuckmonster

Quote:
Let me repeat myself - Hendricks could do to the 4th line what Malhotra did to the 3rd line.

I'll repeat myself again, and bold it for you: Hendricks could do to the 4th line what Malhotra did to the 3rd line. As per usual, I simply cannot make it more clear than that.

The team needs far more than offensive help, and Hendricks addresses some of those issues. Faceoffs - check. PK'ing - check. Effort and energy - check. The other thing he brings to the table is that he is an actual, legitimate 4th line player. As we routinely get beat by teams that can ice a 4th line capable of 8-10 minutes per game perhaps it might be time to improve upon such luminaries as Sestito and Pinzotto.
From reading the Washington board, Hendricks is really streaky in his effort levels, more so than most players. We don't need more streaky players for the love of god.

Old
05-21-2013, 01:18 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
From reading the Washington board, Hendricks is really streaky in his effort levels, more so than most players. We don't need more streaky players for the love of god.
Whatever, if you guys can't see the value in improving our 4th line and want to continue our current model of crappy players making less than 1 million (which is a part of the issue) then we'll have to agree to disagree.

Fortunately it looks like Gillis is taking his head out of his ass for once and agrees with me.

Old
05-21-2013, 01:19 PM
arsmaster

Hendricks is going to want term as well.

These aren't guys you give over a million to, with 4 years term.

Old
05-21-2013, 01:23 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Whatever, if you guys can't see the value in improving our 4th line and want to continue our current model of crappy players making less than 1 million (which is a part of the issue) then we'll have to agree to disagree.

Fortunately it looks like Gillis is taking his head out of his ass for once and agrees with me.
Maybe we can acquire a 7 goal scorer for the 4th line so he can do for the 4th line what the Sedins do for the 1st line? I repeat: maybe someone like Zack Kassian can be our Sedin of the 4th line? Am I doing this right?

Comparing Hendricks to Malhotra is absurd. Hendricks is clearly inferior to Malhotra so I don't get what you are talking about when you compare the two. Hendricks is a very good FOURTH line center. He would certainly help our fourth line, but I don't see how he's that huge of an upgrade over Lapierre to be honest.

Old
05-21-2013, 01:25 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post

Remember when Gillis handed out a THREE year deal to Darcy Hordichuk? At least that was for $600k...but I wouldn't put it past Gillis to do the same for Hendricks.

Old
05-21-2013, 01:25 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post

We gave Lappy 2 at 1, I'd be ok with 3 at 1.5, and I'm sure the team would be as well.

Old
05-21-2013, 01:28 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Maybe we can acquire a 7 goal scorer for the 4th line so he can do for the 4th line what the Sedins do for the 1st line? I repeat: maybe someone like Zack Kassian can be our Sedin of the 4th line? Am I doing this right?

Comparing Hendricks to Malhotra is absurd. Hendricks is clearly inferior to Malhotra so I don't get what you are talking about when you compare the two. Hendricks is a very good FOURTH line center. He would certainly help our fourth line, but I don't see how he's that huge of an upgrade over Lapierre to be honest.
You gave it a good try, but comparing top 6 players to bottom 6 players is a bit silly. The 4th especially is not really counted on for offensive contribution, and neither was Malhotra when he signed with Vancouver.

If you still don't get it/can't understand, well I suppose pity would be in order at this point.

He's not a HUGE upgrade, he would play wing and take left side draws, with Lappy taking right side draws. He would work in tandem with Lappy and we'd actually have a real 4th line. That would be good for this team.

Closed Thread