HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Hannan Our Saviour?

Old
05-06-2013, 03:09 AM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

vCash: 500
Is Hannan Our Saviour?

During our last few Cup runs we've always had players like C. White, Vandermeer, Wallin, Huakins as our number 6/7's, plus a younger Braun and Demers.

Could our missing piece really be as easy as acquiring Hannan this year as a depth player plus our up and comers in Braun, Irwin and hopefully Demers are our depth number 7 and Tennyson as our #8

It disappoints me that you can write a lyric very flippantly—and not a particularly good lyric—and it can mean so much to so many people. That's disillusioning for a writer - George Michael, Careless Whisper
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 03:15 AM
WTFetus
Marlov

Saw that Happy Birthday title. Go to bed LZ.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 03:16 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
I thought it was really convenient that it was his birthday.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 03:19 AM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:

I realized it right away and changed it, so I'm not as people as some thinkle I am.

EDIT: And I'm somewhat serious, although I don't think anyone can be our "savior"

Old
05-06-2013, 03:22 AM
WTFetus
Marlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post

I realized it right away and changed it, so I'm not as people as some thinkle I am.
Should have kept the title as is. Happy Birthday: Is Hannan Our Saviour? was the best title ever.

Old
05-06-2013, 03:24 AM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Should have kept the title as is. Happy Birthday: Is Hannan Our Saviour? was the best title ever.
I almost didn't, but Shirley to be change by a mod and see my edit

Old
05-06-2013, 03:49 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post

EDIT: And I'm somewhat serious, although I don't think anyone can be our "savior"
I'm not as people as some thinkle I am? Damn LZ, you celly hard.

Seriously, I can't tell if this or the "Can The Sharks Win The Cup!" Thread is better.

Quote:
Sounds like a ****** Will Ferrell comedy.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 03:58 AM
Improvise
Old School

Send a message via AIM to Improvise
I'm assuming the OP is sarcastic. Since we're still in the 1st round.

A combination of a variety of things going right at the same time has given the Sharks control of this series.

Improvise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 04:05 AM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
I'm not as people as some thinkle I am? Damn LZ, you celly hard.
I still think the discussion of Hannan, his worthlessness, and our defensive depth is worthy of discussion, but

FTR:

Quote:
I had 12 bottles of whiskey in my cellar but I got into an argument with my wife and lost. She instructed me to empty each and every bottle down the drain, so I proceeded with the task.
I withdrew the cork from the first bottle and poured the contents down the sink, with the exception of one glass, which I drank. I extracted the corks from the second and third bottles and did likewise, with the exception of one glass from each, which I drank.
I then pulled the cork from the fourth sink, poured the bottles down the glass, which I drank. I pulled the bottle from the cork of the next, and drank one sink out of it and threw the rest down the glass. I pulled the sink out of the glass and poured the cork from the bottle. Then I corked the sink with the glass, bottled the drink and drank the pour.
When I had everything emptied, I steadied the house with one hand, counted the bottles, corks, glasses and sinks with the other, which were 29 and put the house in the bottle, which I drank.
I'm not under the affluence of incahol as some thinkle peep I am. I'm not half as thunk as you might drink. I fool so feelish I don't know who is me, and the drunker I stand here the longer I get!!!

Old
05-06-2013, 04:10 AM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Improvise View Post
I'm assuming the OP is sarcastic. Since we're still in the 1st round.

A combination of a variety of things going right at the same time has given the Sharks control of this series.
The OP is definitely sarcastic, but given that this teams record on the road was abysmal, we are the lower seed, got taken out by the Canucks last time and according to most of the people who posted on the subject said that Hannan would be a disaster and we are up 3-0 I thought now would be a perfect time to discuss it.

Old
05-06-2013, 04:13 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Another A+ drunk thread LZ.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 05:17 AM
Mafoofoo
Jawesome

Hannan's straight bald right now. That's why he's so good right now. Continuing the Devin Setoguchi "I suck until I shave my head" tradition.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 05:35 AM
BadVooDoo

LOL, okay I'll bite. In the previous two games he was hammered possession wise (along with most of the team) but he did a good job blocking shots and managed to end up on the positive side of the chance ledger. Last night though, Stuart and Hannan had an excellent game. I was very impressed.

Do 2 weirdly decent/lucky games and 1 great game mean that we can all ignore his terribad track record from the past several seasons? Nope, but who knows. Thanks to small sample sizes the playoffs are when unheralded depth players who go on a hot streak become the center of attention before fading back into obscurity and maybe this will be Hannan's year. But then again, even Stuart/Murray weren't terrible every game either...

Anyways, I certainly hope he can keep it up. Until Demer's is ready to come back to the lineup at least. I'm still not a huge fan of the decision because I don't think anyone can deny that in the first 2 games SJ was playing with fire. A few teams have managed to luck out a series win while spending an incredible amount of time in their own zone and blocking shots (MTL-WSH; ANA-SJ), but sooner or later those shots get through and end up in the back of the net. Not saying that this SJ team is anything like those MTL or ANA teams of course.

BadVooDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 05:52 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadVooDoo View Post
LOL, okay I'll bite. In the previous two games he was hammered possession wise (along with most of the team) but he did a good job blocking shots and managed to end up on the positive side of the chance ledger. Last night though, Stuart and Hannan had an excellent game. I was very impressed.

Do 2 weirdly decent/lucky games and 1 great game mean that we can all ignore his terribad track record from the past several seasons? Nope, but who knows. Thanks to small sample sizes the playoffs are when unheralded depth players who go on a hot streak become the center of attention before fading back into obscurity and maybe this will be Hannan's year. But then again, even Stuart/Murray weren't terrible every game either...

Anyways, I certainly hope he can keep it up. Until Demer's is ready to come back to the lineup at least. I'm still not a huge fan of the decision because I don't think anyone can deny that in the first 2 games SJ was playing with fire. A few teams have managed to luck out a series win while spending an incredible amount of time in their own zone and blocking shots (MTL-WSH; ANA-SJ), but sooner or later those shots get through and end up in the back of the net. Not saying that this SJ team is anything like those MTL or ANA teams of course.
Thats how teams win the cup, there well below average players become above average to give the team a boost. So the stars/top line guys can just be themselves.

That is the main thing that has been missing, all but 2 seasons. Oddly enough it was with heatley, because that meant that setoguchi had no more use on the top 2 lines, so it gave the team a more balanced attack offensively.

It is also what is happening so far this year, with pavs and torres on the 3rd line makes it near impossible for almost every team in the league to shut down.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 08:54 AM
SonomaShark
The sidebar is suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Hannan's straight bald right now. That's why he's so good right now. Continuing the Devin Setoguchi "I suck until I shave my head" tradition.
I still say that Seto got really drunk one night, then got gum in his hair. That's why he shaved his head.

SonomaShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 09:38 AM
Brent Burns
TROTZTROTZTROTZTROTZ

I'm not saying savior, that's the Taurus. But Hannan has been really solid and I would play him every game if he plays like this. The time off in NSH seems to have rejuvenated him. It's at the point where when he's on the ice, I feel comfortable as a fan watching. That's a crazy feeling I never thought I would have

Brent Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 10:01 AM
LeeIFBB
Teflon Doug

Save us Scott Hannan.

LeeIFBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 11:49 AM
Kcoyote3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeIFBB View Post
Save us Scott Hannan.
You're our lowly mope.

Kcoyote3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 12:14 PM
do0glas

definitely argued a lot against the stuart/hannan pairing. cant argue the results, but the canucks bottom six is impotent. weise/ebbett/kassian? meh

i will say this though. him and stuart have been solid, and have been apart of some offensive chance creation. which is why i dont really care. playoffs are about players playing above themselves, and they are doing that, so im happy.

should we face the hawks next round, start with that pair and see how it goes again.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 02:26 PM
Audio Outlaw
Jaded Sharks Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
definitely argued a lot against the stuart/hannan pairing. cant argue the results, but the canucks bottom six is impotent. weise/ebbett/kassian? meh

i will say this though. him and stuart have been solid, and have been apart of some offensive chance creation. which is why i dont really care. playoffs are about players playing above themselves, and they are doing that, so im happy.

should we face the hawks next round, start with that pair and see how it goes again.
Between that pairing and Neimi playing well, I am happy and confident going in against Chicago or whoever.

Audio Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 03:13 PM
Arrch

Quote:
What if I told you Stuart/Hannan was matched against Kesler's line last night?

Arrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 03:35 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrch View Post
What if I told you Stuart/Hannan was matched against Kesler's line last night?
id tell you that galiardi-thornton-burns didnt need their help too much

Old
05-06-2013, 05:50 PM
Linkster
Rebuildt?

The secret to Hannan's success includes injections of Hobbit blood from Dominic Monaghan, probably mixed with reptile extras from "Wild Things" and Burns' collection.

In fact, that is actually Dominic Monaghan out there wearing #27 in teal.

Linkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 05:51 PM
WTFetus
Marlov

Quote:
id tell you that galiardi-thornton-burns didnt need their help too much
That's not fair for Hannan-Stuart. When they do well with Thornton's line, they don't get much credit. When they do poorly with the 3rd or 4th lines, they get a ton of blame.

I mean, they still aren't an ideal pairing, but they're getting the job done right now. People were complaining about how his advanced stats were so bad and he doesn't belong in the NHL anymore. Just goes to show that advanced stats aren't the be-all-end-all for judging players. And hopefully they won't be together anymore once Demers is healthy.

Old
05-06-2013, 07:12 PM
do0glas

Quote:
That's not fair for Hannan-Stuart. When they do well with Thornton's line, they don't get much credit. When they do poorly with the 3rd or 4th lines, they get a ton of blame.

I mean, they still aren't an ideal pairing, but they're getting the job done right now. People were complaining about how his advanced stats were so bad and he doesn't belong in the NHL anymore. Just goes to show that advanced stats aren't the be-all-end-all for judging players. And hopefully they won't be together anymore once Demers is healthy.
except no one was blaming them for anything, man. i praised them!

but its jumbo and burns. they dominate, and they dont use the points much. (high cycle, forecheck). that being said. they have been really smart in the d zone, finding a way to get a good enough chip out. or holding off players so burns or thornton can pick the puck up. definitely happy with their performance

and ive explained this before. 3 games are nothing to judge a player on. be happy with his performance, dont expect it to continue at that high of a level. i will admit i overreacted about playing the hannan/stuart pairing but its only because i still dont think its our best lineup. hes looking like a warrior though.

but hey, they even have points, and are +2/3 respectively. so they are definitely giving us extra, and id reward hannan with the starting position for the rest of this series, unless things go drastically bad.

would you keep demers on the bench against hawks if he was good to go?