Brandon vs Kelowna

Closed Thread

Old
05-03-2005, 09:34 PM
Joe Hallenback

vCash: 500
Brandon vs Kelowna

The Beast from the East vs The Best in the West

Can Brandon's High Octane offense overcome the stingy Rockets Defense?
After 2 grueling back to back 7 game Series and a long trip to Kelowna do the Wheaties have enough gas to take on a well rested Kelowna team?
Will people finally give due to the best 2 way player in the WHL in Ryan Stone?
Can Shea Weber keep scoring all those goals?
Can a Rookie Goalie lead the Wheaties to the Memorial cup?

Old
05-03-2005, 11:37 PM
allin4466

if mccrimmon doesnt charter a plane to fly the team out there something is seriously wrong with the man. hopefully he can get them on a plane tomorrow and give them wednesday and thursday to recover and rest up for a huge game 1 on friday.

if brandon can steal either game one or two, thats huge as they have games 3 4 5 at home, only problem is playing game 6 and 7 in kelowna. But the way kelowna has played at home this playoffs suggests brandon should have a shot at either winning one or both games 1 + 2.

Old
05-04-2005, 02:21 AM
Hordichuk_24

Like I've said many times before, I believe Kelowna will win this series and move on to the Memorial Cup.

However, I'm rooting for Brandon 100%. As a fan, I enjoy watching Brandon play much more than I do Kelowna.

That isn't a shot at the Rockets or Kelowna fans. Just my personal preference.

Old
05-04-2005, 03:07 AM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Quote:
Originally Posted by allin4466
if mccrimmon doesnt charter a plane to fly the team out there something is seriously wrong with the man. hopefully he can get them on a plane tomorrow and give them wednesday and thursday to recover and rest up for a huge game 1 on friday.

if brandon can steal either game one or two, thats huge as they have games 3 4 5 at home, only problem is playing game 6 and 7 in kelowna. But the way kelowna has played at home this playoffs suggests brandon should have a shot at either winning one or both games 1 + 2.
mccrimmon is CHEAP he wont fly them out there like he should.......they have just made him a fortune in the last 2 series with 3 sellouts and he still wont fly them out there......if he doesnt fly them out there I dont even want to think of the effect it will have on the kids.

Stone needs to keep being a dominant 2 way player this series for Brandon to win.
Fehr needs to get some toughness back....Later needs to recover from his injuries....and Monych needs to keep playing like a Stud.

Old
05-04-2005, 07:42 AM
allin4466

I think brandon may have left for kelowna right after last nights game. I think they loaded up the bus and started the 26 hour drive out there.

ugh

I've heard a lot of people say that Brandon will have a hell of a time solving Yeomans, but at the same time they were saying the same thing about beauchamin coming into the PA series. Going into the Brandon series, PA had allowed only 17 goals in two previous series, brandon lit them up for 25.

This will need to be plantes best series of the playoffs, but in all honesty, the kid has been nothing but clutch when he needs to be. 31 Saves on 32 shots last night to close out the series, and in game 7 vs calgary he made 30 saves on 31 shots.

im going to call brandon in 6, and yes, i have a straight face right now

Last edited by allin4466: 05-04-2005 at 08:05 AM.
Old
05-04-2005, 09:52 AM
Hordichuk_24

I don't think Brandon will have any trouble with Yeomans. I think Kelowna's very good defense, and Brandon's discipline problems will be a huge factor in this series. It is very hard to play undisciplined and still be able to beat a team like Kelowna. It isn't the same as being undisciplined against a team like Calgary. In other words, it'll be much more difficult.

Old
05-04-2005, 10:35 AM
Captain Leaf

Lets hope Brandon wins ..we need pure O at the Mem Cup ..London and Brandon ..wow ..i dont know about the rest of you but i cant take another Kelowna Memorial cup ..i tape Kelowna games for those nights i cant sleep ..yawn.

Old
05-04-2005, 12:11 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Leaf
Lets hope Brandon wins ..we need pure O at the Mem Cup ..London and Brandon ..wow ..i dont know about the rest of you but i cant take another Kelowna Memorial cup ..i tape Kelowna games for those nights i cant sleep ..yawn.
Tell your refs to call obstruction penalties, and maybe you'll get some "Pure O". Kelowna sent a great offensive team to the Cup two years ago, and got clutch-and-grabbed to death by the OHL and Q teams. I don't think they'll make the same mistake anytime soon.

Old
05-04-2005, 12:19 PM
Youreallygotme

Quote:
Kelowna was one of the highest scoring teams in the WHL this year, and has averaged close to 3 goals a game for the playoffs. Almost all of their games have been extremely exciting. Did you happen to watch any of their last 3 series'???

I'll admit they were about as exciting as watching paint dry last year, but this year theyre much different.

Old
05-04-2005, 12:36 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

I see Kelowna making it to London and Repeating as Memorial Cup Champions ... Kelowna takes the first 2, then fly out to Brandon, while Brandon will take the 26 hour trip back to Brandon and will either: get swept or maybe win 1 game, but IF Kelowna holds court, this series is over QUICKLY and I would wager that Kelowna flies to Ontario from Brandon, instead of going back to BC

Old
05-04-2005, 02:09 PM
KRF

Quote:
..i tape Kelowna games for those nights i cant sleep ..yawn.
you haven t seen kelowna play this year have you? rockets are alot more offensive this year and is still the same checking system in their own end.

Old
05-04-2005, 11:51 PM
MikeS

Although the Seattle series went 7 games, Kelowna's offence was quite the difference, especially the games in Seattle. This team plays defence every bit as well as they did last year, and have really picked it up offensively. T-birds D was supposed to be among the best, but Rockets burried them.

Kelowna in 6.

Then they beat London.

Old
05-05-2005, 01:12 AM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS
Although the Seattle series went 7 games, Kelowna's offence was quite the difference, especially the games in Seattle. This team plays defence every bit as well as they did last year, and have really picked it up offensively. T-birds D was supposed to be among the best, but Rockets burried them.

Kelowna in 6.

Then they beat London.
I have to say Kelowna did anything but burry the Tbirds......7 games burried? nice call

I do hate the 2-3-2 series that we are going to see........if by some chance brandon wins 2 in kelowna it wont go back to kelowna......if kelowna wins 2 it may also not go back to kelowna.....i am personally hoping for brandon so of course i want to see us take 2 in kelowna but id be happy with a split and a chance to win it at home.

Old
05-05-2005, 01:56 AM
Nazzy-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaneuf_fan_3
I have to say Kelowna did anything but burry the Tbirds......7 games burried? nice call

I do hate the 2-3-2 series that we are going to see........if by some chance brandon wins 2 in kelowna it wont go back to kelowna......if kelowna wins 2 it may also not go back to kelowna.....i am personally hoping for brandon so of course i want to see us take 2 in kelowna but id be happy with a split and a chance to win it at home.
I think he was referring to the 4-0 and 7-0 shlacking of Seattle by kelowna in games 3 and 4.

Old
05-05-2005, 01:04 PM
KRF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazzy-19
I think he was referring to the 4-0 and 7-0 shlacking of Seattle by kelowna in games 3 and 4.
those were two unusual games, the series was alot more even that that. in my opinion the tbirds were the toughest oponent the rockets have faced so far. alot of people have said the tbirds were tougher than the ice.

Old
05-05-2005, 05:01 PM
allin4466

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaneuf_fan_3

IMO this works in the favor of brandon. A split on the road gives them a lot of momentum and then even to take 2 of 3 in brandon leaves them with two chances to take it in kelowna

Old
05-06-2005, 01:45 AM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazzy-19
the wheat kings lost 10-1 to calgary? those shlackings didnt do a thing......7 games is 7 games.

Old
05-06-2005, 01:58 PM
Ogopogo*

The Kelowna Rockets had a 1.77 domination rating during the regular season. The Brandon Wheat Kings had a 1.44 domination rating.

During the playoffs, the teams have the exact same rating of 1.58.

So, Kelowna's overall domination rating for this season of 3.35 is ahead of Brandon's 3.02.

I have to stick with Kelowna in 5 games as my pick to win it all.

*Domination rating is: Winning% + (GF-GA)/GP

I snagged a ticket (standing room) to game 2. Should be great!

Old
05-06-2005, 02:00 PM
Ogopogo*

Of all the possible Memorial Cup teams, here are their domination ratings:

London: 3.60 (regular season) + 3.92 (playoffs) = 7.52
Rimouski: 2.02 (regular season) + 4.11 (playoffs) = 6.13
Halifax 1.67 (regular season) + 2.40 (playoffs) = 4.07
Kelowna 1.77 (regular season) + 1.58 (playoffs) = 3.35
Brandon 1.44 (regular season) + 1.58 (playoffs) = 3.02
Ottawa 1.06 (regular season) + 1.88 (playoffs) = 2.94

* Domination rating: Winning % + (GF-GA)/GP

This shows us how the best teams in the country dominated their respective leagues. Let me be the first to say that London and Rimouski are phenomenal.

This does not tell us how London would do in the W or how Kelowna would do in the Q. It just tells us how dominant these teams are in their own league. The WHL did have a lot of good teams (80 pts +) this season so, Kelowna and Brandon's numbers look low because of the fierce competition.

As far as winning the Memorial Cup? Hard to say. I am biased towards Kelowna but, I think it will be one helluva tournament. Perhaps, the most entertaining tournament of all time??? It will be amazing hockey watching two great offenses in London and Rimouski and an amazing defence in Kelowna. (If those are the teams that make it. Fingers Crossed )

For some perspective, here is the greatest NHL team ever:

1976-77 Montreal Canadiens: 3.53 (regular season) + 3.07 (playoffs) = 6.60

Old
05-06-2005, 11:30 PM
allin4466

well

3-0 loss

yeomans was incredible. he single handedly won them that game IMO.. brandon had so many great chances on the PP but could never convert, sickening. I doubt anybodies hitting the panic button yet, but brandon will need to find a way to score 5 on 5 if they have any chance in this series. Plantes rebound control was also horrendous tonight.

Im still going to say brandon in 6

Old
05-07-2005, 12:46 AM
Youreallygotme

Quote:
Originally Posted by allin4466
well

3-0 loss

yeomans was incredible. he single handedly won them that game IMO.. brandon had so many great chances on the PP but could never convert, sickening. I doubt anybodies hitting the panic button yet, but brandon will need to find a way to score 5 on 5 if they have any chance in this series. Plantes rebound control was also horrendous tonight.

Im still going to say brandon in 6
Single handedly won them the game??? Hardly. Kelowna dominated from the last 5 minutes of the 1st period on. Brandon looked dead tired and sloppy, and hardly even into it. They missed the net more times than I could possibly count, and couldnt settle the puck, they kept fumbling it.

Yeomans was good though. That guy who ran him . and what was with the ref?? someone doesnt like Kelowna

Old
05-07-2005, 01:01 AM
MikeS

Dead & burried

I was referring to the 3 games in Seattle, where the Rockets outscored the T-Birds something like 13-0. I didn't have the chance to see any games in Kelowna, but Seattle won each of its three by one goal as I recall. Got a few lucky bounces in last minutes in two of those, too.

So, although it went seven, I'd say the Rockets improved offence (vs. last year) was the difference in the series.

The only point I was really making....

Old
05-07-2005, 01:09 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

wow, Weber had another goal tonight...8 goals, 5 assists in only 14 games

Old
05-07-2005, 01:32 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
wow, Weber had another goal tonight...8 goals, 5 assists in only 14 games
I'm loving it. In the playoffs, this kid is dynamite. He's been a PPG player over the last 31 playoff WHL playoff games. And this coming from a defensive shut-down Dman. Dion who?

Seriously though, who is Weber matched up against? Is he lining up against Fehr? Is Stone on that line as well?

Oh and NMK, some Euro punk named Darzins has a goal and an assist. He's certainly an intriguing 9th round pick.

Old
05-07-2005, 01:59 AM
Big Deaner

Send a message via Yahoo to Big Deaner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucks&flames
Single handedly won them the game??? Hardly. Kelowna dominated from the last 5 minutes of the 1st period on. Brandon looked dead tired and sloppy, and hardly even into it. They missed the net more times than I could possibly count, and couldnt settle the puck, they kept fumbling it.

Yeomans was good though. That guy who ran him . and what was with the ref?? someone doesnt like Kelowna
Kelowna defintitely deserved to win the game but if Brandon could have got a good bounce early (like the Kelowna goal which bounced off the Brandon d-man's stick and into the net) and get an early goal this game would have been much different. I take my hat off to Kelowna, they played very well, but if Brandon gets a few pucks bouncing onto their sticks rather than over their sticks (especially on those PP's) this game would have been much different.

If Brandon can win tommorow, I say Brandon in 7.
If Kelowna wins tommorow, I predict Kelowna in 6.

Closed Thread