HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Thread: "Shoo-in for Nichushkin"

View Poll Results: Draft goes Jones/Mackinnon/Drouin/Barkov/Nichushkin/Nurse. Who should they take?
Monahan 138 73.02%
Lindholm 51 26.98%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-23-2013, 10:08 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
I'm so confused with the stuff Stauffer says. He is no doubt connected, but the Murray pre-draft talk and everything makes me question which stuff to believe.

I think with Nichushkin's contract torn up he'll probably be picked ahead of us, leaving the fear of taking another winger very small.
I don't know what to make of Stauffer. He is all over some times. The other thing is with a new GM is he the only guy that is tied in now? Is he the tied in guy now?

Same goes for Matheson, during the Lowe era he was good, but during the ST era he was shutout by the team and then started passing opinions as news.

Old
05-23-2013, 10:18 AM
doubledown99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I don't know what to make of Stauffer. He is all over some times. The other thing is with a new GM is he the only guy that is tied in now? Is he the tied in guy now?

Same goes for Matheson, during the Lowe era he was good, but during the ST era he was shutout by the team and then started passing opinions as news.
Stauffer still talks to Oiler scouts and he also has a great relationship with Howson so he may actually be even more plugged in. He's admitted to having disagreements with MacT in the past but the guy had come on his show and been pretty honest. And I'm sure Stauffer can talk with MacT and Lowe and just converse and get a feeling of where the org is headed.

Like him or not, he is the most plugged in media source in Edm

Old
05-23-2013, 10:30 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

Speaking of which, Stauffer is tweeting some thoughts. Most we've heard before (Oilers should add an associate coach, Nichushkin and TBL a fit?, Oil Kings could have shown well at Memorial Cup, etc.)

Rather interesting one for our purposes...

Bob_Stauffer
For the #Oilers I would be looking at a Center and assuming Mackinnon is gone IMO the order should be Barkov/Monahan/Horvat/Lazar/Lindholm. As for having Lindholm ranked lower than Horvat and Lazar. IMO Swedish D seem to be able to make a quicker transition to N.A. then FWD's

Last edited by Soli: 05-23-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old
05-23-2013, 10:35 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
Stauffer still talks to Oiler scouts and he also has a great relationship with Howson so he may actually be even more plugged in. He's admitted to having disagreements with MacT in the past but the guy had come on his show and been pretty honest. And I'm sure Stauffer can talk with MacT and Lowe and just converse and get a feeling of where the org is headed.

Like him or not, he is the most plugged in media source in Edm
Why, if he and MacT had disagreements I don't think MacT is going to leak stuff to him.

Old
05-23-2013, 10:35 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Speaking of which, Stauffer is tweeting some thoughts. Most we've heard before (Oilers should add an associate coach, Nichushkin and TBL a fit?, Oil Kings could have shown well at Memorial Cup, etc.)

Bob_Stauffer
For the #Oilers I would be looking at a Center and assuming Mackinnon is gone IMO the order should be Barkov/Monahan/Horvat/Lazar/Lindholm
Interesting list.

Old
05-23-2013, 11:10 AM
BowDangles

Quote:

Bob_Stauffer
For the #Oilers I would be looking at a Center and assuming Mackinnon is gone IMO the order should be Barkov/Monahan/Horvat/Lazar/Lindholm. As for having Lindholm ranked lower than Horvat and Lazar. IMO Swedish D seem to be able to make a quicker transition to N.A. then FWD's
If Lindholm is there at #7 and they pick Horvat or Lazar you guys can find me at the bottom of the Saskatchewan river...

Old
05-23-2013, 11:31 AM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Why, if he and MacT had disagreements I don't think MacT is going to leak stuff to him.
I think my post above explains why.

Close connection to Howson/Lowe/Stu. He has the ear of most of the Oilers key decision makers

Old
05-23-2013, 12:08 PM
Uindicator

For the life of me thats why i dont get why they just didnt draft Boone Jenner when they had the chance, perfect 3C that wouldve fit here. Instead they go by family lines and draft a Musil. Monahan reminds me of Jenner with more upside to his offensive game.

Old
05-23-2013, 12:18 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uindicator View Post
For the life of me thats why i dont get why they just didnt draft Boone Jenner when they had the chance, perfect 3C that wouldve fit here. Instead they go by family lines and draft a Musil. Monahan reminds me of Jenner with more upside to his offensive game.
Definitely pissed they passed on Jenner and Jaskins(who I was big on), but in saying that Musil looks like he'll be an excellent 2nd/3rd pairing shutdown guy.

Old
05-23-2013, 12:24 PM
Musashi

Quote:

Bob_Stauffer
Pretty shocking he has Lindholm that low but they do seem to omit him from most talks about prospects on Oilers now so I wouldn't be surprised if that were there rankings.

I think we got a real shot at Monahan but if we end up reaching for a Horvat or Lazar, I really have no problem with it. Those are still outstanding prospects and players we need. And it's not like they won't be centering 1st overall picks.

Not against picking a safer player who fills exactly what we need.

Old
05-23-2013, 12:30 PM
doubledown99

Is anybody really surprised that the Oilers value Horvat and Lazar? Lazar we all knew about......Horvat is basically the same player just a tad bit bigger.

Both players are the kinds of players we have been missing and MacT loved those types of guys as coach.

I'm sure the Oilers will try to trade up to 5th to get Monahan but if not i think they will try to move down a few spots so they can hopefully get one of Horvat or Lazar.

I think all signs are pointing to a deal with PHX.

Gagner + Edm 1st
For
Yandle + PHX 1st

Old
05-23-2013, 12:33 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Brodziak View Post
Pretty shocking he has Lindholm that low but they do seem to omit him from most talks about prospects on Oilers now so I wouldn't be surprised if that were there rankings.

I think we got a real shot at Monahan but if we end up reaching for a Horvat or Lazar, I really have no problem with it. Those are still outstanding prospects and players we need. And it's not like they won't be centering 1st overall picks.

Not against picking a safer player who fills exactly what we need.
A few of us have basically echoed what you are saying (I know Dnicks is one).....we want Monahan but would have no issues with Horvat/Lazar/Nurse at 7 if he is gone

Old
05-23-2013, 12:36 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
A few of us have basically echoed what you are saying (I know Dnicks is one).....we want Monahan but would have no issues with Horvat/Lazar/Nurse at 7 if he is gone
I would be very annoyed if they took any of those guys at 7 to be honest. We took Moroz too high because we liked the type of player he could be(a 4th line tough guy that can play a few minutes), and now we should do the same with a player that likely projects to be a 3C? With probably our last top 10 pick for a while?

Old
05-23-2013, 12:45 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
I have a big issue with them taking Nurse at 7, especially with how strong this draft is. My order of preference is Monahan, Horvat(Mainly for his awesome name!), Pulock, Lazar. I haven't seen enough of Lindholm, Barkov, or Nischuskin so I can't comment on them. In saying that I don't think theres a lot separating guys this year from basically our pick to the early 20's, and I think we'll see a lot of surprising picks made in the top 10-15.

Old
05-23-2013, 12:47 PM
Uindicator

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Definitely pissed they passed on Jenner and Jaskins(who I was big on), but in saying that Musil looks like he'll be an excellent 2nd/3rd pairing shutdown guy.
Sure maybe he might be 2nd/3rd pairing D but you got to look at total value for player. Jenners value as a Centerman with all his intangibles is much greater, but seriously with all this talk of having Lazar and Horvat ahead of Lindholm is laughable, i'm losing all hope for this team. The Draft is simple , take BPA!!
"As for having Lindholm ranked lower than Horvat and Lazar. IMO Swedish D seem to be able to make a quicker transition to N.A. then FWD's" what a dumb comment, based on mere conjecture.

Old
05-23-2013, 12:48 PM
nafrelio

Quote:
Is anybody really surprised that the Oilers value Horvat and Lazar? Lazar we all knew about......Horvat is basically the same player just a tad bit bigger.

Both players are the kinds of players we have been missing and MacT loved those types of guys as coach.

I'm sure the Oilers will try to trade up to 5th to get Monahan but if not i think they will try to move down a few spots so they can hopefully get one of Horvat or Lazar.

Gagner + Edm 1stFor
Yandle + PHX 1st
I don't think the Yotes want (what could likely be) two small centers - Gagner and Lindholm, neither of which fit the low budget, grind it out style. If they like Nurse, then maybe. From our end, adding Yandle and Lazar makes sense from what MacT is saying.

I'd prefer to trade Gagner + for Yandle if we can land Monahan at #7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I would be very annoyed if they took any of those guys at 7 to be honest. We took Moroz too high because we liked the type of player he could be(a 4th line tough guy that can play a few minutes), and now we should do the same with a player that likely projects to be a 3C? With probably our last top 10 pick for a while?
I would too. The 2nd round is so solid that we should add an extra asset, even if we use it to acquire more immediate help.

Old
05-23-2013, 12:51 PM
Cerebral

Quote:

Gagner + Edm 1st
For
Yandle + PHX 1st
I would be thrilled with that if we didn't plan on rushing Lazar/Horvat and instead signed Weiss as a Gagner replacement. Add in Bickell, trade Hemsky and I'd like the looks of our team:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Bickell-Weiss-Yakupov
Smyth-Horcoff-Paajarvi
Hartikainen-Smithson-Brown

Yandle-Smid
Schultz-Schultz
Petry-Fistric/Klefbom

Replace Smyth with a quicker, gritter third line player and I'd be happy with that lineup. I think it likely makes the playoffs if RNH is healthy.

I don't know if Phoenix makes that deal though regardless of how strong Gagner's season was.

05-23-2013, 12:53 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Bo Horvat is going to be a 2nd line center, with the potential to be 1st line(Think Mike Richards). He's goes to the dirty areas and never quits on a play. He's the type of guy you win with, and he reminds me a little bit of Hall in that respect(obviously not as talented.)

Old
05-23-2013, 12:56 PM
Jtown

Just curious why Edmonton Fans are dead set on getting a 2nd line center, when you guys already have gagner, when players like Nurse or Rasmus are available to build up your blue line?

Old
05-23-2013, 12:59 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
I think you're underrating Lazar and Horvat.

They're both probably NHL quality #3Cs right now, but have the potential to be much more.

Old
05-23-2013, 01:00 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 69
Quote:
I think my post above explains why.

Close connection to Howson/Lowe/Stu. He has the ear of most of the Oilers key decision makers
How come he is wrong so frequently?

Old
05-23-2013, 01:03 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Just curious why Edmonton Fans are dead set on getting a 2nd line center, when you guys already have gagner, when players like Nurse or Rasmus are available to build up your blue line?
Top six size.

Our top six is lacking in that department, and was very evident this season that we need to get bigger. Adding beef up front without subtracting the wonder kids is pretty much a must if we want to do anything in the post season. That and our defensive prospects are in a great position with Klefbom, Marincin, Musil, Gernat, etc, in the pipeline. Our blueline needs actual NHL additions to it atm, rather than more prospects that will of course take time to be ready.

Old
05-23-2013, 01:04 PM
Hockey Nightmare
Ex-hockey fan

Man, I'm just glad we're not debating MacKinnon/Jones at this juncture. Couldn't go through that once again.

Old
05-23-2013, 01:06 PM
Musashi

Quote:
Isn't Horvat and Lazar's "floor" suppose to a 3C while being some of the safest picks out there? With still room to grow, whats wrong with that?

Look at how many posters who watch a lot of Lazar (and to a lesser extent Horvat on the prospects board) who are sold on him and confident he will take the next step next year while he takes over the Oil Kings, while still being one of the safest picks in the draft.

I dont think comparing a potential pick/reach of Lazar or Horvat with Moroz is right. Nobody was talking about Moroz like that last year. I think we valued Moroz being on the OK's too much and thought we could really help mold him into a Lucic type player.

Old
05-23-2013, 01:06 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Be nice to have center depth, similar to what they have in Philli with Giroux, Schenn, Couturier.

Closed Thread