HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2013 Draft Thread: "Shoo-in for Nichushkin"

View Poll Results: Draft goes Jones/Mackinnon/Drouin/Barkov/Nichushkin/Nurse. Who should they take?
Monahan 138 73.02%
Lindholm 51 26.98%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-23-2013, 06:15 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

vCash: 500
I'm basically fine with Lindholm or Monahan at this point. Prefer Monahan.

Thought Flames might look at Lindholm because they need an offensive C, though I do get the arguments about need for big C.

Who knows maybe Feaster will take Horvat or Gauthier lol

Old
05-23-2013, 06:29 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
I'm basically fine with Lindholm or Monahan at this point. Prefer Monahan.

Thought Flames might look at Lindholm because they need an offensive C, though I do get the arguments about need for big C.

Who knows maybe Feaster will take Horvat or Gauthier lol
I think flames prefer Monahan over Lindholm. I'm only basing this on Craig's List (Buttons list from tsn). His brother Todd is the head scout for the Flames....last year Craig was high on Janikowski and lo and behold Flames grabbed him.

Right now Craig has Monahan ranked above Lindholm so I'm going guess that is how his brother sees it and the Flames. But it's an educated guess at best.

Stu though said Flames want a big C and would likely take Monahan....so there is that as well

Old
05-23-2013, 06:46 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Anyone suggesting Horvat/Lazar > Lindholm is either blind or speaking out of pure ignorance of who Lindholm is. One of the greatest C prospects ever to emerge from Sweden, without any of the hockey sense/finishing issues of MPS. No one has been poking holes in his game other than questions on how good could he really be. I'm sure most people are expecting at the very least a 50-60pt 2-way player similar to Krejci.

Old
05-23-2013, 06:47 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Would be interested in knowing how many of the Lindholm supporters have actually seen him play a game or two? If people remember Paajarvi was ranked top 5 in his draft year and fell to 10 and people were laughing at Burke for taking Kadri. After learning from that I tried to stop going by what scouting sources said and actually watch the player before making comments.
I haven't seen him much, I'll admit. I am putting a lot of weight behind Bob's list because he takes the consensus of 10 real NHL scouts and has a pretty good track record of predicting past drafts. Lindholm has been near the top of this draft since last fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Brodziak View Post
If **** hits the fan, yes anyone can bust.. Is that really your point? I don't see how it changes the notion that horvat and lazar are two of the safest picks out there. They clearly have the qualities of being a 3rd line checker in case somehow their offense doesnt translate over, can you say the same about other prospects? If you're drafting those guys in the 1st round, you clearly are expecting their offense to translate over. If there offense does come then these are the guys that turn into the bergeron/backes/brown/richards/callahan/doan type players that we desperately need to go with our high end skill

If you really like your guy, whats wrong taking him at 7 if you dont like whats left. Especially when we need center depth, the most important position. I think packaging your 2nds and whatever else to move into the top 15 will be next to impossible. Teams will hold onto those picks like every other year so how is that an option?

If you think you can trade down and still get Horvat or Lazar and something else, go ahead, but take the guy who you think is going to be a difference maker for this club regardless. BPA is always subjective.
If we agree that anyone can bust then why not take the guy who we can't reasonably draft next year with our 1st? Good scoring/checking centers/wingers with size are often found higher than 7th in a draft. At 7 you still have a chance of getting a star player if the draft is deep. Lindholm could be a star. He put up very impressive numbers in the SEL for a draft eligible player.

bergeron -2nd round
backes - 2nd round
brown - late 1st
richards - ? mike - late 1st, brad - 3rd round
callahan - 4th round
doan - top 10 pick

Subjective doesn't mean we have no idea and every opinion is equal. In general NHL scouts consistently rank Lindholm well above guys like Lazar and Horvat. I will listen to them. Did you notice that it's the teams that try to prove they are smarter than everyone else that draft the worst? We lived through it a lot in the early 2000s. Lowe and Prendergast decided they knew more than everyone else and that Zach wasn't that much better than Marc. Or when they took a little known Jesse N, because they "knew another team liked him and he wouldn't last til their next pick". I don't want to see that kind of mentality creep back in. Just take the consensus bpa when drafting high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Wonder if the the Sabres would consider a trade like this if the player they want is available at 7?

To EDM:
8th (Nurse/Risto) & 16th (Lazar/Horvat/Wennberg....)

To BUF:
7th (Nichushkin/Monahanahan/Whoever) overall and 37th
I don't think they'd do that deal even if we included both 2nds. They'd have to really like that player at 7 to fall from 16 to 37.

Old
05-23-2013, 06:47 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Anyone suggesting Horvat/Lazar > Lindholm is either blind or speaking out of pure ignorance of who Lindholm is. One of the greatest C prospects ever to emerge from Sweden, without any of the hockey sense/finishing issues of MPS. No one has been poking holes in his game other than questions on how good could he really be. I'm sure most people are expecting at the very least a 50-60pt 2-way player similar to Krejci.
Lazar is a likely target for the Oilers, so you may as well get your hate on early for him.

Old
05-23-2013, 06:52 PM
doulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Lazar is a likely target for the Oilers, so you may as well get your hate on early for him.
Aside from HF Board chatter, does this have any legs. Have not heard it from anywhere else and I doubt it's true.

Old
05-23-2013, 06:54 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
This made me laugh

Old
05-23-2013, 06:56 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
Aside from HF Board chatter, does this have any legs. Have not heard it from anywhere else and I doubt it's true.
See Bob Stauffers tweet from this morning

Old
05-23-2013, 07:02 PM
doulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
See Bob Stauffers tweet from this morning
Just went and found the tweet. That's absurdly terrifying if they have Lindholm that far down the list. Should be firing their scouts.

However, I have a feeling Stauffer is merely spitballing there, because I am going to stubbornly refuse to believe the Oilers are that stupid. Maybe throwing out that kind of information in a poorly veiled attempt to mislead other teams on their plans.

Old
05-23-2013, 07:15 PM
BarDownBobo

My biggest fear is that the draft goes Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Monahan, Lindholm; and the Oilers pick someone other than Nichushkin.

Old
05-23-2013, 07:19 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
Just went and found the tweet. That's absurdly terrifying if they have Lindholm that far down the list. Should be firing their scouts.

However, I have a feeling Stauffer is merely spitballing there, because I am going to stubbornly refuse to believe the Oilers are that stupid. Maybe throwing out that kind of information in a poorly veiled attempt to mislead other teams on their plans.
Stu was on Oilers now and Gregors show a few weeks back. Talks about top prospects.....never mentioned Lindholm (on either show). A few of us wondered about it back then.......then the tweet this morning. Hate to break it to you but I don't think the Oilers value Lindholm very highly (unfortunately)

Last edited by doubledown99: 05-23-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old
05-23-2013, 07:23 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
My biggest fear is that the draft goes Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Monahan, Lindholm; and the Oilers pick someone other than Nichushkin.
Stauffer said on yesterday's show that he would not take Nich even with the news that came out.

Hate to say this but if the Oilers had both Lindholm and Nich available at 7 I think they would pass on both for Horvat or Lazar (....Horvat just scored on penalty shot...just thought would mention tht a watching the game right now).

Old
05-23-2013, 07:26 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Stauffer said on yesterday's show that he would not take Nich even with the news that came out.

Hate to say this but if the Oilers had both Lindholm and Nich available at 7 I think they would pass on both for Horvat or Lazar (....Horvat just scored on penalty shot...just thought would mention tht a watching the game right now).
Have the game on pvr. Thanks for the update.

Old
05-23-2013, 07:35 PM
CurrenR

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
For anyone who gets to see Lazar often, does he have what it takes to become the 2c that we need, and would you be okay with picking him at #7?
He would be a surefire third line 2 way centre. He has a great shot and can score timely goals. He can play anywhere on the ice. He makes a lot of obvious plays to me im not really sure how else to explain it. He looks like he could be a 2C but I think he may turn out to be a fringe 2C. The tools are there though. Great speed, great shot, great 2 way game. His playmaking is not that great. I would not be surprised though if he became a bonfide 2C though. I think he is more of fringe 2C player than anything. I would not draft him 7th if one of Monahan or Lindholm was available. The highest I would draft him is 12th.

Edit: I think a great comparison for him would be like Mike Peca

Last edited by CurrenR: 05-23-2013 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Another point to add
Old
05-23-2013, 07:37 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Have the game on pvr. Thanks for the update.
Oops sorry about that. I won't give any more updates

Old
05-23-2013, 07:44 PM
BarDownBobo

Quote:

Good thing Stauffer is not in charge then

Seriously though, MacT said he wants to make the team bigger, so passing on big powerforward Nichushkin to pick smaller Cs Horvat or Lazar would just make no sense to me. Nich is honestly basically everything that they're missing from their top 6(size and physicality). Doesn't hurt that he's also fast as hell and has good offensive instincts.

Old
05-23-2013, 08:05 PM
Spawn

Quote:

Seriously though, MacT said he wants to make the team bigger, so passing on big powerforward Nichushkin to pick smaller Cs Horvat or Lazar would just make no sense to me. Nich is honestly basically everything that they're missing from their top 6(size and physicality). Doesn't hurt that he's also fast as hell and has good offensive instincts.
No matter what everyone says though, it likely does hurt that he is a winger.

I understand the concept of drafting BPA over need. Afterall, in 3-4 years when these guys are likely beginning to contribute at the NHL level who knows what you will need. But the Oilers are in a unique position. They have 3 wingers all under 22 all who are going to be with the organization for the next 6-7 years.

The Oilers need to start investing into areas that this team has huge gaps. We aren't going to go anywhere with this team built almost entirely on the wing. Maybe if we had better prospects down the middle, but right now we have nothing.

This organization may go further drafting a center (or d-man) over Nickhuskin even if they may not be considered as high end as him.

Old
05-23-2013, 08:14 PM
dnicks17

Quote:

They may be smaller, but they aren't small.

Horvat and Lazar will likely play at around 6'0''/6'1'', 210+lbs. Both strong as a bull on their skates.

They'll add plenty of size, physicality, skating and offensive instincts too.

Old
05-23-2013, 08:39 PM
Uindicator

Quote:
Stu was on Oilers now and Gregors show a few weeks back. Talks about top prospects.....never mentioned Lindholm (on either show). A few of us wondered about it back then.......then the tweet this morning. Hate to break it to you but I don't think the Oilers value Lindholm very highly (unfortunately)
Either they're trying to hide the fact they really want him or they really are that blind considering he's on almost every top 5 list.
Jones
Mackinnon
Droin
Barkov
Lindholm/Monahan/Nichushkin

We're lucky to be picking #7 in such a deep draft so just take one of these guys, they have been above the rest the whole time.

Old
05-23-2013, 08:42 PM
Lindo

"Lists McKinnon, Barkov and Monahan as the 3 centres he wants. He's had many talks about moving up OR down with fellow GMs."

"He says from July 1 to July 5 there is a recruitment window for pending UFA's. Also says his priority is A centre with 7 overall pick."

From MacT's phone conference call with season ticket holders. I hope it's more trade up talk than down.

Old
05-23-2013, 09:05 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uindicator View Post
Either they're trying to hide the fact they really want him or they really are that blind considering he's on almost every top 5 list.
Jones
Mackinnon
Droin
Barkov
Lindholm/Monahan/Nichushkin

We're lucky to be picking #7 in such a deep draft so just take one of these guys, they have been above the rest the whole time.
They have their own scouts who make their own lists. They watch the players. They dont go by the "services". Those rankings mean nothing.

Old
05-23-2013, 09:15 PM
Toydarian

I would be pretty choked if EDM drafts either Lazar or Horvat in the 7 spot. It is even more disconcerning that there doesn't seem to be any interest in Lindholm. I don't understand how the 2 CHLers could be more attractive than the Swede considering the similarity in size and defensive ability between the three.

Old
05-23-2013, 09:30 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
If taken at 7 you know it'll be strong.

Old
05-23-2013, 09:35 PM
Uindicator

Quote:
They have their own scouts who make their own lists. They watch the players. They dont go by the "services". Those rankings mean nothing.
Thats what worries me, our scouts usually have some dumb ranking system.

Old
05-23-2013, 09:40 PM
Uindicator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
If taken at 7 you know it'll be strong.
Ofcourse, only reason he's that high on their list is because he plays on the oil kings.

Closed Thread