HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Thread: "Shoo-in for Nichushkin"

View Poll Results: Draft goes Jones/Mackinnon/Drouin/Barkov/Nichushkin/Nurse. Who should they take?
Monahan 138 73.02%
Lindholm 51 26.98%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-24-2013, 03:08 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
I'm starting to think that if Monahan is gone, we will pick Bo Horvat rather than Curtis Lazar.
I seriously doubt that, but even if we did, it would be ok. Horvat is a versatile player too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
IATL Musil was that bad?

I watched him half dozen times in reg season and he wasn't tht bad. I liked him for the most part against Calgary. I admit he sucked against Portland.........was he really that bad in your opinion overall in the season?

Plante 2.0? Man that scares the heck out of me. I know his skating and speed need work (was hoping it was more improved from last few years but I haven't noticed an improvement).....but Plante 2.0? Yikes!
That may be stretching it a bit but I was disappointed in him overall this year. He almost seemed better last year as a Giant. His skating is very poor. That and his size is where the Plante comp comes from. I think he is better than Plante, but still may not be good enough to handle the speed of the NHL.

Old
05-24-2013, 03:28 PM
Toydarian

vCash: 500
My preference:

1. Monahan
2. Lindholm
3. Nurse
4. Nichushkin (really not sure about him)
5/6. Horvat/Lazar

Old
05-24-2013, 03:48 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Brodziak View Post
Button and Stauffer talking about Lindholm right now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Brodziak View Post
Button on Lindholm
-says he will be a #2 center at worst
-fantastic 2 way play
-versatile forward who can play wing
-can matchup against other top team players and shut them down
-can see him being a perfect compliment to rnh

Button ranks the centers
-mackinnon/barkov/monahan/lindholm/wennberg/horvat/lazar

MacT is coming up after 1:00
Awesome, thanks for passing that along! I'm pretty sure that Button has not been much of a Lazar fan, he always has a few guys that he greatly undervalues, last year it was Ryan Murray. Wennberg is intriguing but from what I hear he's more of a perimeter player, so I'd sooner take one of the other C's ahead of him.

Quote:
I'm just going to make one quick point...Horvat has scored at a better than ppg pace since half way through the season while doin everything else on the ice you can ask for.

In the last 40 games of the regular season he put up 25 goals, 20 assists and 45 points.

In the playoffs, 21 gp - 16 goals, 7 assists, 23 points.

His goal scoring pace in the last 60 + games has been incredible and he is doing this at 17 years old.

So if I'm projecting I see a player tht is figurin it out offensively and has a great defensive game. Not to shabby if u ask me.
In the last 45 games of the regular season
Lazar: 30-14-44

In the playoffs he doesn't have the goalscoring or point production of Horvat, but he still had 9 goals in 22 games.

05-24-2013, 04:05 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I'm starting to like Lindholm more and more. He seems like be could be even more than a second line center. I would still choose Monahan over him though.

Old
05-24-2013, 04:22 PM
I see only darkness

Last 5 min on Stauffer he talked to Nash writer. I didn't get it all but something about Barkov injury much more damage than first thought and he can not start training until middle of October? Is that the joist of it? Does this mean he could fall or is he still too good

The writer said he was not a lock for 4 for them

Old
05-24-2013, 04:26 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I'm starting to like Lindholm more and more. He seems like be could be even more than a second line center. I would still choose Monahan over him though.
Lindholm projects to be a 1B center.

Old
05-24-2013, 04:33 PM
BarDownBobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILERS91 View Post
Last 5 min on Stauffer he talked to Nash writer. I didn't get it all but something about Barkov injury much more damage than first thought and he can not start training until middle of October? Is that the joist of it? Does this mean he could fall or is he still too good

I think Lindholm is a real possibility at 4 even if Barkov is there. He sounds like a good fit there.

Old
05-24-2013, 04:34 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:

Injuries are an interesting ball of wax nowadays. I can't remember who it was or if it was even a prospect, but last year there was team talking about how with today's medicine unless it's concussions or some sort of chronic injury that some teams don't really care if a player has a knee injury or shoulder injury. The fact that this was the end of the year and not like Galchenyuk who missed most his draft year probably plays in his favour as well.

Old
05-24-2013, 04:34 PM
thomast

Quote:

Use google translation

Barkov's father on injury:

http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/jaakiekko...u-aikataulussa

"He might get to in practice before the summer if doctors think that he is cured well. Definetly can practice normally at summer."

Barkov's doctor on injury:

http://yle.fi/urheilu/aleksander_bar...alussa/6561677

He can most likely start practising at the beginning of summer and it is not serious.

I don't know where your sources pull the news but they are nonsence.

Old
05-24-2013, 04:46 PM
doubledown99

The Nashville writer says Barkov wouldn't be ready to play till October. Says that might mean he wouldn't be ready to play next year so that might alter who Nsh picks as they need somebody to help next season.

Says Nichuskin is a real possibility. If he is gone than Drouin could be the pick.

What I've got from listening to all these beat guys....the 4 top draft picks could legitimately be:

Jones
Mack
Nichuskin (or Drouin)
Drouin (or Nich)

CAR beat guy is up Monday so that will be very interesting as well. Exciting draft that is for sure

Old
05-24-2013, 04:48 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Passing on a player due to injury like that isn't smart. Just look at Galchenyuk. Surely Columbus wishes they had picked him and not Ryan 'Butter' Murray.

Old
05-24-2013, 04:56 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
In the last 45 games of the regular season
Lazar: 30-14-44

In the playoffs he doesn't have the goalscoring or point production of Horvat, but he still had 9 goals in 22 games.
BBO you don't have to sell me on Lazar - I am sold. I have no problem if Oilers pick him over Lindholm, Nich or Horvat (I would have issues picking him over Monahan).

I do like Horvat a bit more but it's close

Old
05-24-2013, 05:01 PM
doubledown99

Did anybody hear Bob on yesterday's show regarding Lindholm? What he gave as his reason for putting him that low was because of Sweden's struggles with graduating elite forwards for the last 10 years. He said he can only think of one top 10 pick that was dominant.

He said he believes the reasons for this is because of the systems used in Sweden. He said in Sweden dmen handle the puck much more than forwards (and Bob thinks that is why Swedish dmen turn out so good). Centers don't handle the puck as much as they do in N.A. And don't have the same responsibilities.

Now nobody here watches the SEL enough (if at all) to really comment but it was an interesting theory and I'm sure MacT being a former coach probably had a lot of input into this theory and tht could be why the Oilers aren't (it seems) high on Lindholm

Old
05-24-2013, 05:54 PM
Musashi

This might have been posted in the last prospects thread, but in case you havent seen it, this is an awesome highlight package of lindholm showing his skill set from his season with Brynas

Old
05-24-2013, 06:09 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Re Barkov injury, I believe they debunked this in the Barkov prospects thread, the Nashville writer was using an old quote.

Or else it's a smokescreen

Old
05-24-2013, 06:39 PM
BarDownBobo

Quote:
Did anybody hear Bob on yesterday's show regarding Lindholm? What he gave as his reason for putting him that low was because of Sweden's struggles with graduating elite forwards for the last 10 years. He said he can only think of one top 10 pick that was dominant.

He said he believes the reasons for this is because of the systems used in Sweden. He said in Sweden dmen handle the puck much more than forwards (and Bob thinks that is why Swedish dmen turn out so good). Centers don't handle the puck as much as they do in N.A. And don't have the same responsibilities.

Now nobody here watches the SEL enough (if at all) to really comment but it was an interesting theory and I'm sure MacT being a former coach probably had a lot of input into this theory and tht could be why the Oilers aren't (it seems) high on Lindholm
This is a stupid argument IMO.

2012-None picked
2011-Mika Zibanejad: Still early, but it sure looks like he'll be a good top 6 forward
2010-None picked
2009-Magnus Paajarvi: We've been over this tons of times. Unproven so far, but has shown flashes he can be top 6
2008-None picked
2007-None picked
2006-Nicklas Backstrom: Elite, first line C
2005-None picked
2004-None picked
2003-None picked
2002-None picked

So in the last 10 drafts, there were three SEL forwards picked Top 10. Two of which are too young to make a conclusion on, and one who has become an elite C in the NHL. Oh yeah, and Lindholm draws comparisons to that elite C, and plays in the same organization.

Old
05-24-2013, 06:43 PM
doubledown99

I think that was part of what he was trying to get at that Sweden is lacking for producing elite forwards.

I think even if we look at elite forwards in the whole draft that Sweden is sort of lacking in this area. I can only think of Landeskog and he was partly developed in the OHL. Who else have they produced at forward in the last 10 years?

Old
05-24-2013, 06:53 PM
DousedInOil

I love me my Swedish prospects. Just because the SEL is a defenceman factory doesn't mean it can't produce forwards. I've gotten into some lengthy arguments before with friends about how Sweden has changed it's development process and focused on individual skillets allowing them to make an easier transition to the NHL while allowing a players strength really shine through. I mean look at the past couple of drafts.

Zibby and Lando both defy the Swedish stereotypes when it comes to forwards and are playing important roles on their team. Forsberg is also getting a lot of praise from Nashville fans and was playing in a league below the SEL last season. He wasn't suppose to contribute right away. Like I said earlier in this thread, the top North American forward drafted last year was Tom Wilson. Does that mean we suck at developing forwards?

Old
05-24-2013, 07:00 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
This is a stupid argument IMO.

2012-None picked
2011-Mika Zibanejad: Still early, but it sure looks like he'll be a good top 6 forward
2010-None picked
2009-Magnus Paajarvi: We've been over this tons of times. Unproven so far, but has shown flashes he can be top 6
2008-None picked
2007-None picked
2006-Nicklas Backstrom: Elite, first line C
2005-None picked
2004-None picked
2003-None picked
2002-None picked

So in the last 10 drafts, there were three SEL forwards picked Top 10. Two of which are too young to make a conclusion on, and one who has become an elite C in the NHL. Oh yeah, and Lindholm draws comparisons to that elite C, and plays in the same organization.
So in an argument that Sweden doesn't produce as many elite forwards anymore due to the fact the defensemen spend more time handling the puck - posting up that Sweden has produced one top 10 forward pick in a decade(out of a possible 3) that is even remotely close to being elite debunks that idea?

You're supporting the argument more than debunking it

Old
05-24-2013, 07:01 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
I love me my Swedish prospects. Just because the SEL is a defenceman factory doesn't mean it can't produce forwards. I've gotten into some lengthy arguments before with friends about how Sweden has changed it's development process and focused on individual skillets allowing them to make an easier transition to the NHL while allowing a players strength really shine through. I mean look at the past couple of drafts.

Zibby and Lando both defy the Swedish stereotypes when it comes to forwards and are playing important roles on their team. Forsberg is also getting a lot of praise from Nashville fans and was playing in a league below the SEL last season. He wasn't suppose to contribute right away. Like I said earlier in this thread, the top North American forward drafted last year was Tom Wilson. Does that mean we suck at developing forwards?
DIO you are a good poster but c'mon....the Wilson comment is garbage. We had a bad year but look at the players Canada has developed over the last 5-10 years. Sweden has some decent and intriguing forwards but no star players outside of Backstrom. Zibanejad doesn't look like a star. The only one that has a chance is Landeskog and he developed partly from our system.

And it's not just a recent phenomenon. You can go back the last 10 years and not find a star player outside of Backstrom

Old
05-24-2013, 07:25 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
DIO you are a good poster but c'mon....the Wilson comment is garbage. We had a bad year but look at the players Canada has developed over the last 5-10 years. Sweden has some decent and intriguing forwards but no star players outside of Backstrom. Zibanejad doesn't look like a star. The only one that has a chance is Landeskog and he developed partly from our system.

And it's not just a recent phenomenon. You can go back the last 10 years and not find a star player outside of Backstrom
The Wilson comment wasn't to suggest that Canada sucks at developing forwards. It was Rhetorical. Obviously Canada is the best country in the world at developing forwards. But to suggest that we shouldnt draft forwards outside of North America is bogus. Should teams have passed on Yakupov, Grigorenko, Gally, etc? Obviously not. The whole "don't draft Swedes" argument is nothing short of discrimination based on nationalism.

I'm sure the LA kings were like "No we shouldn't draft this Kopitar guy. Slovakia doesn't produce centres."

Last edited by DousedInOil: 05-24-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old
05-24-2013, 07:29 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
The Wilson comment wasn't to suggest that Canada sucks at developing forwards. Canada is the best country in the world at developing forwards. But to suggest that we shouldnt draft forwards outside of North America is bogus. Should teams have passed on Yakupov, Grigorenko, Gally, etc? Obviously not. The whole "don't draft Swedes" argument is nothing short of discrimination based on nationalism.
Now you are putting words in my mouth. Please quote me where I stated that

Old
05-24-2013, 07:35 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Now you are putting words in my mouth. Please quote me where I stated that
Maybe I'm just reading it wrong or vice versa. I think we both agree that Canada produces quality prospects. I'm not trying to put words speficially in your mouth. I'm just saying I could care less where a player comes from. I just want the best player.

Old
05-24-2013, 07:41 PM
JJTopper
Registered Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
So in an argument that Sweden doesn't produce as many elite forwards anymore due to the fact the defensemen spend more time handling the puck - posting up that Sweden has produced one top 10 forward pick in a decade(out of a possible 3) that is even remotely close to being elite debunks that idea?

You're supporting the argument more than debunking it
There's a difference between Sweden not producing a lot of highly touted forwards and those highly touted forwards busting. It sounds like Stauffer is dropping Lindholm because he's developing in a league where D handles the puck more? Ignoring the fact that Lindholm is ranked very high by every scouting service. So BarDownBobo's point (if I'm not mistaken) is that while there haven't been a lot of highly touted forwards coming out of Sweden lately, the ones that have been selected at the top of the draft haven't proven to bust more often than any other country.

This is how guys like Kopitar slip in the draft. GM's with irrational fears. lol

Old
05-24-2013, 07:42 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Lindholm reminds me so much of Claude Giroux but I just think Monahan is a better fit behind Nugent-Hopkins. Monahan brings what we have lacked for years. Big center who is fantastic on the draw and reliable everywhere.

Closed Thread