HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Thread: "Shoo-in for Nichushkin"

View Poll Results: Draft goes Jones/Mackinnon/Drouin/Barkov/Nichushkin/Nurse. Who should they take?
Monahan 138 73.02%
Lindholm 51 26.98%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-25-2013, 05:12 AM
Huffman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
This is a stupid argument IMO.

2012-None picked
2011-Mika Zibanejad: Still early, but it sure looks like he'll be a good top 6 forward
2010-None picked
2009-Magnus Paajarvi: We've been over this tons of times. Unproven so far, but has shown flashes he can be top 6
2008-None picked
2007-None picked
2006-Nicklas Backstrom: Elite, first line C
2005-None picked
2004-None picked
2003-None picked
2002-None picked

So in the last 10 drafts, there were three SEL forwards picked Top 10. Two of which are too young to make a conclusion on, and one who has become an elite C in the NHL. Oh yeah, and Lindholm draws comparisons to that elite C, and plays in the same organization.
Kopitar also played in the SEL.

Old
05-25-2013, 05:12 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt19Oilers View Post
So after having a look, it appears that the teams holding multiple first rounders this year are Calgary (6, 25, 29), Buffalo (8, 16) and Columbus (14, 19, 23). So basically, we would be looking to pry that 14th from Columbus, or 16th from Buffalo.

I sure hope this can be done.

Our 37th overall+ in order to make this move up would make me ecstatic.
I don't see Buffalo doing it with the "rebuild" mindset they're in. Columbus might be willing to do it for some depth at D/F. I still wonder if they'd be interested in a Hemsky-type player, especially given the division they're being placed in. No more Detroit, more room for skill players (unless you play STL) to perform. Might be a fit there.

Old
05-25-2013, 07:54 AM
BarDownBobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffman View Post
Kopitar also played in the SEL.
Drafted 11th, and the argument was for Top 10 picks, so I kept to exactly that to please posters. But yeah, he's another one that proves its a dumb theory.

Old
05-25-2013, 04:24 PM
Usual_Suspect

RED LINE REPORT's TOP 10 & Who's Rising

NO. PLAYER POS. HT., WT. SHOOTS DATE OF BIRTH TEAM
1 Seth Jones D 6-3, 208 Right Oct. 3, 1994 Portland
2 Jonathan Drouin LW 5-11, 185 Left March 27, 1995 Halifax
3 Nathan MacKinnon C 6-0, 182 Right Sept. 1, 1995 Halifax
4 Aleksander Barkov (injured) C 6-2, 207 Left Sept. 2, 1995 Tappara
5 Valeri Nichushkin RW 6-4, 202 Left March 4, 1995 Chelyabinsk
6 Sean Monahan C 6-2, 193 Left Oct. 12, 1994 Ottawa
7 Elias Lindholm C 6-0, 181 Right Dec. 2, 1994 Brynas
8 Darnell Nurse D 6-5, 194 Left Feb. 4, 1995 Sault Ste. Marie
9 Max Domi C 5-9, 194 Left March 2, 1995 London
10 Adam Erne RW 6-1, 206 Left April 20, 1995 Quebec

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...eport/2360467/

Last edited by Usual_Suspect: 05-25-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old
05-25-2013, 04:54 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Haven't brought it up in a while to be honest, but that's fine. I mean if it's the only thing you got to lean on, why kick an old fart's cane, amirite?
I think he, like me, are just kinda of waiting for you to follow the franchise you idolize so much. It would make things less complicated and awkward.

My example is this, the Oilers draft Lazar at #7, you're rail on about a homer pick, reach, etc, etc.

If a team from Michigan who like red and wings were to take Lazar at #7 they would be Praised for their insight and thoughtful scouting.

That whole thing, along with the "Don't cry for me Tyler Sequin" is getting old.

Old
05-25-2013, 05:09 PM
FunkyChicken
Dishonor for Connor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvechkinTooth View Post
I think Nichushkin is not as good as scouts and fans expecting. He has some offensive skills, very dangerous on the open ice but he has some problems with- a wrist and, especially, slapshot. Furthemore, has a tendency to turnover the puck in a position offense. Hockey IQ is questionnable as well. I think Malkin was a way more better than this guy.
I don't think anybody is expecting a Malkin or Nash, but if you could get a Frolov or Franzen type player at #7 I'd be jumping. Now that his KHL contract has been nulled, does anybody know if Nishushkin is willing to play in juniors if he fails to make a NHL team? If not I'd think it would lower his value.

Wouldn't mind if we picked him at 7 but am hoping that TB or Carolina either take him or are willing to trade back to 7 to get him so that we can select a center (Barkov or Monahan).

Last edited by FunkyChicken: 05-25-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old
05-25-2013, 05:10 PM
Uindicator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I think he, like me, are just kinda of waiting for you to follow the franchise you idolize so much. It would make things less complicated and awkward.

My example is this, the Oilers draft Lazar at #7, you're rail on about a homer pick, reach, etc, etc.

If a team from Michigan who like red and wings were to take Lazar at #7 they would be Praised for their insight and thoughtful scouting.

That whole thing, along with the "Don't cry for me Tyler Sequin" is getting old.
Except they wouldnt with either Monahan Lindholm and Nichuskin still on the board, Lazar will be a fine player with a really slim chance he'll become elite, those three have a really good chance theyll become elite. I dont see how u can pass on them.

Old
05-25-2013, 05:15 PM
17Kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uindicator View Post
Except they wouldnt with either Monahan Lindholm and Nichuskin still on the board, Lazar will be a fine player with a really slim chance he'll become elite, those three have a really good chance theyll become elite. I dont see how u can pass on them.
The majority of posters who post on here are just going off of third party scouting reviews, without having actually seen any of the players they're commenting on. TPH definitely comes across as one of those posters.

Old
05-25-2013, 05:15 PM
FunkyChicken
Dishonor for Connor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post

If Lazar or Horvat is the guy the scouts have identified as the best player at #7, I have no problems with them making that selection. Much like I believe SJ did with Couture, picked him higher that what the scouting services were predicting.

I don't want to see them trading down and be in a scenario where we are picking say 13th and both Lazar and Horvat (their guys)are already off the board.

Old
05-25-2013, 05:23 PM
17Kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyChicken View Post
If Lazar or Horvat is the guy the scouts have identified as the best player at #7, I have no problems with them making that selection. Much like I believe SJ did with Couture, picked him higher that what the scouting services were predicting.

I don't want to see them trading down and be in a scenario where we are picking say 13th and both Lazar and Horvat (their guys)are already off the board.
SJ got lucky with Couture because he was a projected as a likely #1 overall in preseason polls, but fell because of mono in his draft year. If he didn't get sick, I've no doubt he'd have been the second player taken, at worst. I was hoping for him or Gagner with our pick, too bad we got the wrong one it looks like now.

Old
05-25-2013, 05:41 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Kurri View Post
SJ got lucky with Couture because he was a projected as a likely #1 overall in preseason polls, but fell because of mono in his draft year. If he didn't get sick, I've no doubt he'd have been the second player taken, at worst. I was hoping for him or Gagner with our pick, too bad we got the wrong one it looks like now.
Couture was projected to go #1 overall to Oshawa in the OHL draft but didn't because of Tavares being granted exceptional status. I remember the mono, but don't remember him ever being ranked #1 for the NHL draft though.

05-25-2013, 05:50 PM
17Kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Couture was projected to go #1 overall to Oshawa in the OHL draft but didn't because of Tavares being granted exceptional status. I remember the mono, but don't remember him ever being ranked #1 for the NHL draft though.
Pretty sure HF, in a rare show of acquity , was one of his boosters. Iirc, ISS was one of the others.

Old
05-25-2013, 05:58 PM
Hynh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Kurri View Post
Sounds an awful lot like Couturier. Crazy.

Quote:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=385790

Doesn't say first but

Quote:
Logan Couture, a center for Ottawa 67’s of the Ontario Hockey League, entered the season as one of the top-ranked prospects for the draft, but struggled after a bout with mononucleosis. The main concern with Couture is his lack of top-notch skating skills, but he has soft hands and good offensive anticipation.
After a strong start at the Under-18s (Couture played on a line with top-five draft prospect Kyle Turris), Couture seemed to run out of steam in the medal round. He fell to 19th in the final Central Scouting North American ratings. However, The Hockey News pegs him seventh overall for the draft, while both the ISS and McKeen’s seed him 13th.
Funny to read all the Leafs wanting to draft Couture only for their management to trade the pick to the Sharks (who moved up) for Toskala. The same Toskala who torpedoed their 2010 season and forever created the Seguin-Kessel threads.

Old
05-25-2013, 06:13 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uindicator View Post
I highly doubt any of them become elite, there's a chance Lazar ends up better then all of them. Many of the analysts have been saying this year is a year where a guy getting picked at 17 could be better then the guy at 7. Nothing wrong with us picking Lazar at 7 if the team feels he fits into the long term plan.

Old
05-25-2013, 06:39 PM
Usual_Suspect

Quote:
October 2006 iss rankings had Couture #1 for the 2007 draft

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/sports/...rticle1109975/

Quote:
The October ISS report had forward Logan Couture of the OHL's Ottawa '67s as No. 1, Voracek as No. 2 and centre Angelo Esposito of the QMJH's Quebec Remparts as No. 3.

Old
05-26-2013, 12:44 AM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Personally I think it's a flawed theory that teams will trade down out of the top 5/7 to get an asset and then pick a player they value at a lower spot.

Sure that can happen... but why risk that the player you really want won't actually still be available when you trade down. What's the point... all that you'd have then is that middling asset (as that's the most you'd likely get for trading down)... and the player you covet would be picked by another club.

I think it's too big of a gamble... just pick the player you like and move on.

I know it happens from time to time but I think it has too much risk to realistically rely on.

This year if TB or Carolina for example were to trade down to the Oilers spot at #7.. what's to say their player (let's say Nichuskin... will still be available at #7 when they pick in the Oilers spot?).

I could see maybe moving down 1 spot because then at least you'd know the team your trading with won't pick "your player"... but even in that scenario the likely return for trading down will be minimal.

Old
05-26-2013, 02:22 AM
MrCaptain

vCash: 1584
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Perhaps, but if the forwards really are sub par, then one would think NHL teams would shy away from them altogether. That doesnt seem to be the case here.
I don't think it's unreasonable to say that certain leagues may produce certain positions better than others. It also probably changes over time. And of course a lot of it is random.

Lets just say that Sweden is better at producing defencemen lately. Doesn't mean a good forward can't come from there.

Old
05-26-2013, 06:43 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Last time the DRW took a CHL skater in the 1st round was in the 90's. Didn't go so well for them either. Why would they take Lazar at #7? They:

A) never suck enough to pick that high

B) pick players like that in the later rounds (Abdelkader '05, Helm '05)

Old
05-26-2013, 06:56 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Detroit is quite amazing still with their drafting. Even without having a 1st round pick for most of the past few years, they're still churning out NHL players or promising future NHLers:

02: Filppula, Hudler, Fleischmann, Ericsson
03: Howard, Quincey
04: Franzen
05: Kindl, Abdelkader, Helm
06: Emmerton, Matthias, ?Mursak
07: Smith, Andersson
08: McCollum, Nyquist
09: Ferraro, Tatar
10: Sheahan, Jarnkrok
11: Jurco, Oullet, Sproul
12: Frk

They've basically taken lower-end picks and filled all of their organizational needs in the last 10 years. Top6 F's (Filppula/Hudler/Franzen/Nyquist). Bottom-6 F's (Abby/Helm/Andy). Defense (Quincey, Ericsson, Smith, Kindl). Goalie (Howard, McCollum).

Now that's a model franchise. They're only 1st rounders were Kindl, McCollum, and Sheahan in those 10yrs

Old
05-26-2013, 07:46 AM
MetaOil1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Detroit is quite amazing still with their drafting. Even without having a 1st round pick for most of the past few years, they're still churning out NHL players or promising future NHLers:

02: Filppula, Hudler, Fleischmann, Ericsson
03: Howard, Quincey
04: Franzen
05: Kindl, Abdelkader, Helm
06: Emmerton, Matthias, ?Mursak
07: Smith, Andersson
08: McCollum, Nyquist
09: Ferraro, Tatar
10: Sheahan, Jarnkrok
11: Jurco, Oullet, Sproul
12: Frk

They've basically taken lower-end picks and filled all of their organizational needs in the last 10 years. Top6 F's (Filppula/Hudler/Franzen/Nyquist). Bottom-6 F's (Abby/Helm/Andy). Defense (Quincey, Ericsson, Smith, Kindl). Goalie (Howard, McCollum).

Now that's a model franchise. They're only 1st rounders were Kindl, McCollum, and Sheahan in those 10yrs
Sorry but why do we Oilers fans care about the Wings drafting? Yeah its good for them on drafting solid players but I don't see how this relates to the Oilers at all or the upcoming draft. Since I don't got a lot of time to watch junior players I like to read these threads so I can see who might be available with our picks and get an insight on players that other Oil fans may have watched. I don't particularly want to see posts that pimp up other teams when I wanna read about my team. It really seems like you do that a lot. No need to keep on beating a :

Also Thomas McCollum is a bust.

Old
05-26-2013, 07:46 AM
Oiltankjob Fail

What is the date for this years draft?

Old
05-26-2013, 07:49 AM
MetaOil1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
What is the date for this years draft?
June 30th, 2013

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_NHL_Entry_Draft

Old
05-26-2013, 07:51 AM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaOil1993 View Post
Thx.

Old
05-26-2013, 07:53 AM
MetaOil1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
Thx.
Don't mention it

Old
05-26-2013, 11:15 AM
DousedInOil

I'm sorry but I'm kind of tired of "how great Detroit is at drafting". Over the past 5 years they have produced 1 NHL player thus far in Nyquist. They do a good job, don't get me wrong but haven't exactly been worldbeaters like some people believe. They are pretty average lately if you ask me.

Closed Thread