HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2013 Draft Thread: "Shoo-in for Nichushkin"

View Poll Results: Draft goes Jones/Mackinnon/Drouin/Barkov/Nichushkin/Nurse. Who should they take?
Monahan 138 73.02%
Lindholm 51 26.98%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-26-2013, 10:34 AM
doubledown99

vCash: 500
Just a reminder the combine starts tomorrow.

Will be pretty big for:
Barkov (how is the injury progressing?)
Nichushkin (Russian factor, his contract situation, desire to play in N.A.)
Monahan (mostly for teams to get an idea of how potentially big he can get physically)

There are others but they are further down the list from where Oilers are picking so I'm leaving them out.

Info may also come out about which players teams like after the interviews and combine

Today is also the dream matchup at Mem Cup......should fun

Old
05-26-2013, 11:11 AM
Usual_Suspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
Just a reminder the combine starts tomorrow.

Will be pretty big for:
Barkov (how is the injury progressing?)
Nichushkin (Russian factor, his contract situation, desire to play in N.A.)
Monahan (mostly for teams to get an idea of how potentially big he can get physically)

There are others but they are further down the list from where Oilers are picking so I'm leaving them out.

Info may also come out about which players teams like after the interviews and combine

Today is also the dream matchup at Mem Cup......should fun
Barkov isn't participating in the fitness testing (neither is nurse). Curious if you left Lindholm off your list intentionally or did you just forget him?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=671813

Old
05-26-2013, 11:28 AM
Beerfish

2013 NHL Draft player list and mock draft creator...

I have once again this year done up a mock draft/player list spreadsheet. Some of you may be familiar with it from other years. For those that aren't here are some of it's features.

List of over 400 draft eligible players.
Full draft order list.
Ability to easily create mock drafts.
Draft pick value chart.

Obviously the full draft order is not set due to the playoffs still going on so there will be a final version at the end of the playoffs.

Link to google docs below:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-P5...it?usp=sharing

Old
05-26-2013, 11:41 AM
Huffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usual_Suspect View Post
Barkov isn't participating in the fitness testing (neither is nurse). Curious if you left Lindholm off your list intentionally or did you just forget him?

I believe teams will be looking closely on Lindholm. He's played all season with a taped wrist and he could not participate in the WC camp last month due to injury.

Old
05-26-2013, 11:44 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
So I was poking around the NHL CS rankings looking at some guys who the Oilers might look at for mid-ish round picks.
*I have not Seen any of these players, just looking at measurables*

Europeans:

Bogdan Yakimov, Center, Ranked 11th, 6'5" 202lbs
Sergei Stetsenko, Defenseman, Ranked 30th, 6'3" 191lbs
Eduard Simun, Center, Ranked 63rd, 6'3" 196lbs

North American:

John Hayden, Center, Ranked 29th, 6'2" 220lbs
Thomas "Don't call me Gino" Vannelli, Defenseman, Ranked 44th, 6'2" 165lbs
David Pope, Left Wing, Ranked 67th, 6'2" 187lbs
Alex Coulombe, Defenseman, Ranked 68th, 6'3" 189lbs
Wiley Sherman, Defenseman, Ranked 104th, 6'6" 196lbs
Aidan Muir, Left Wing, Ranked 108th, 6'3" 182lbs
Carson Soucy, Defenseman, Ranked, 129th, 6'4" 191lbs
Jonny Brodzinski, Center, Ranked 132nd, 6'0" 202lbs - 42gp 22g 11a 33pts

Old
05-26-2013, 12:05 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaOil1993 View Post

Also Thomas McCollum is a bust.
Not a bust, but definitely not their top G prospect. Forgot to mention Mrazek (2010) who has definitely taken over that role.

Old
05-26-2013, 12:07 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
So I was poking around the NHL CS rankings looking at some guys who the Oilers might look at for mid-ish round picks.

Europeans:

North American:

Were there any good goalies mentioned there too?

Old
05-26-2013, 12:13 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usual_Suspect View Post

I didn't leave Lindholm off the list as a knock....I just did not think he had many questions around him (though had no clue he had a wrist problem as the post above indicates). Monahan I included because he is a ideal target but if teams above us really like how he projects out physically we could have no chance at him.

The others I included because they have questions....

Barkov won't participate but teams will check him out medically so that is big.

Also not sure if you guys read NHL.com but players now will be doing a new test (nfl has for years)

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=671816

Old
05-26-2013, 12:18 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
I didn't leave Lindholm off the list as a knock....I just did not think he had many questions around him (though had no clue he had a wrist problem as the post above indicates). Monahan I included because he is a ideal target but if teams above us really like how he projects out physically we could have no chance at him.

The others I included because they have questions....

Barkov won't participate but teams will check him out medically so that is big.

Also not sure if you guys read NHL.com but players now will be doing a new test (nfl has for years)

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=671816
Monahan seems very mature physically. When you look at the past 6-7 years and the guys the Oilers have taken in the 1st round, they all seem like teenagers in their appearance, tone, and demeanor.

Monahan seems 5 years older than his stated age when you look at him/listen to him talk:

Old
05-26-2013, 12:47 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Some Flyers fans are suggesting Laughton for the 7th.

Old
05-26-2013, 01:12 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Looking at his stats, I'm not sure if it's worthwhile.

What does he bring that players at the seven spot don't have?

Old
05-26-2013, 01:16 PM
GMofOilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Monahan seems very mature physically. When you look at the past 6-7 years and the guys the Oilers have taken in the 1st round, they all seem like teenagers in their appearance, tone, and demeanor.

Monahan seems 5 years older than his stated age when you look at him/listen to him talk:

Really? Hall was a beast and so was Yak, so im not sure where your getting your info. If anything Monahan is pretty slight for his height.

Old
05-26-2013, 01:29 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
Really? Hall was a beast and so was Yak, so im not sure where your getting your info. If anything Monahan is pretty slight for his height.
Hall was pretty skinny pre-draft and arguably even into his first season. He really beefed up heading into his second year.

Yakupov has always been strong for his size, because he's one of those compact guys at 5'11 and 185. But he's by no means a big, hulking player.

It's not an insult to these guys at all - most players taken at that age are the same way. Stamkos, Kane, Couture - all these guys were the same way and have physically matured since then. Well Kane still hasn't, but that's a different story.

But Monahan just seems more built/mature to me. Even from watching some of his OHL games, he's not someone still "growing into" his frame per se. He's comfortable with his size, uses it effectively. He has that "man size" - I get the vibe of a man playing amongst boys in the O. It usually takes bigger forwards more time to get used to that size - so it's definitely an asset.

Old
05-26-2013, 01:34 PM
titsuple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Lindholm reminds me so much of Claude Giroux but I just think Monahan is a better fit behind Nugent-Hopkins. Monahan brings what we have lacked for years. Big center who is fantastic on the draw and reliable everywhere.
exactly

Old
05-26-2013, 01:38 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by titsuple View Post
exactly
A centre with 50%FO or better would make a huge difference, especially on the second line.

Can't use Belanger in the position because he's an offensive black hole.

Old
05-26-2013, 01:49 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Surely they mean Laughton and their pick?

Old
05-26-2013, 01:54 PM
GMofOilers

Quote:
Hall was pretty skinny pre-draft and arguably even into his first season. He really beefed up heading into his second year.

Yakupov has always been strong for his size, because he's one of those compact guys at 5'11 and 185. But he's by no means a big, hulking player.

It's not an insult to these guys at all - most players taken at that age are the same way. Stamkos, Kane, Couture - all these guys were the same way and have physically matured since then. Well Kane still hasn't, but that's a different story.

But Monahan just seems more built/mature to me. Even from watching some of his OHL games, he's not someone still "growing into" his frame per se. He's comfortable with his size, uses it effectively. He has that "man size" - I get the vibe of a man playing amongst boys in the O. It usually takes bigger forwards more time to get used to that size - so it's definitely an asset.
Hes only 6'2 and I have seen anywhere from 185 to 195 in weight. I wouldnt suggest thats mature at all. So I dont know what your saying here.

Old
05-26-2013, 01:57 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
Hes only 6'2 and I have seen anywhere from 185 to 195 in weight. I wouldnt suggest thats mature at all. So I dont know what your saying here.
Is Evgeni Malkin not solid for his size? 6'3 195lb. He's strong, balanced, and has good agility for his size.

That's what I see with Monahan. He's adjusted to his height, he's not awkward or flopping around (Gagner) or easy to hit/knock off the puck (rookie Hall/MPS). He seems like he's adjusted to his body. How hard is this to understand?

Old
05-26-2013, 02:05 PM
Lion

vCash: 50
Quote:

Europeans:

North American:

I went to junior high with this guy!

Old
05-26-2013, 02:15 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:

He's not but he is/was the most physically mature of the other 2 1st overall's. Nail likely doesn't pack on nearly as much mass as Hall and RNH will over the years.

05-26-2013, 02:28 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma View Post
I went to junior high with this guy!
He's not notably good from the games I've watched. Don't even know how he made it on the list to be quite honest. Recruited to Minnesota-Duluth, but Rick Jackson who is Central's scout in Alberta likes him enough I guess, I think he lives near Soucy's hometown.

Old
05-26-2013, 02:29 PM
17Kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
He's not but he is/was the most physically mature of the other 2 1st overall's. Nail likely doesn't pack on nearly as much mass as Hall and RNH will over the years.
Hall was pretty mature physically when we drafted him, too. Part of the reason is that both Yak and Hallsy were about 6 months older when they were drafted than Nuge when he was drafted. So a little more physical development time.

Monahan is in the same group as Hall and Yak in terms of being on of the older players in the draft.

Old
05-26-2013, 03:04 PM
puckfan13

Quote:

Europeans:

North American:

I've had my eye on Vannelli for a while, he's pretty known in Minnesota - if you play hockey there, even at the high school level, you're not exactly going to be a secret. I could see him being a definite riser on draft day. I kept my eye on him at U18's and re-watched his shifts from some games and I pretty much agree with everything that is written about him here: http://www.firstroundbust.com/2013/0...school_20.html

We have an extra 2nd and I don't mind taking him there at all, reminds me of Petry quite a bit. I wish he was going to Wisconsin not Minnesota though, Minnesota hasn't produced a legit d-man in a while which is a bit concerning for me. Although Marshall (DET) and Reilly (CLB) are coming along nicely as of now.

As for the rest of your list, I looked into a bunch of these types of guys a few months ago. Coulombe and Sherman didn't really interest me from what I was able to hear from others and research myself.

Pope is actually from Edmonton I've seen him play when he was younger and actually played shinny with him 3 weeks ago randomly, he is an OK prospect but he is thin right now, not sure I like him before round 5ish. He is going to Nebraska-Omaha next year I was able to speak to him a bit about his season. He is very, very far from making an NHL impact I'd say like 5+ years.

Meanwhile, Soucy played in Spruce Grove this year so I was able to catch a few of his games live (already posted my thoughts on him above). Didn't necessarily impress me.

Brodzinski got a lot of play this year after a bad year for Fargo in the USHL because St. Cloud went to the Frozen Four, he got a lot of exposure - you can bet your ass this guy is on the radar of teams like Calgary and Vancouver the highest I would say, this guy is a classic John Weisbrod pet prospect, wouldn't be surprised to see the Flames take a flyer on him earlier than some expect. I'd be interested in him 5-7 maybe.

Of all these guys, you didn't include Adam Tambellini, which I know will turn people off here but I watch a crapload of hockey and this is a guy I would want to draft. If he is able to put on some weight, and Jeff Tambellini has a solid lower body and frame as an adult, and turn up the grit a bit he can become a great player. Hopefully Steve and Jeff have both told him and reminded him from Jeff's past experiences that going top-6 or bust is no way to make the NHL. Adam reminds me a bit of another Junior A prospect from 2009 Corban Knight, great off the rush, on the PP and has an extremely quick release/good hands and his playmaking is good with passes that are hard and crisp. He's going to UND and Dave Hakstol likes his all-around guys that dig deep so I think it should be good for his development. He's very thin right now growing into his frame so 3 or 4 years at UND wouldn't be a problem with me for him.

Tambellini and Vannelli are probably tops for my "lower-tier" guys and they interest me quite a bit. Just my opinion for whatever it's worth.

Last edited by puckfan13: 05-26-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old
05-26-2013, 03:55 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Kurri View Post
Hall was pretty mature physically when we drafted him, too. Part of the reason is that both Yak and Hallsy were about 6 months older when they were drafted than Nuge when he was drafted. So a little more physical development time.

Monahan is in the same group as Hall and Yak in terms of being on of the older players in the draft.
Look at his upper body shots from the combine, he had broad shoulders but he wasn't very thick in the upper body.

Old
05-26-2013, 03:56 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Look at his upper body shots from the combine, he had broad shoulders but he wasn't very thick in the upper body.
So, what do nice pecks translate into on the ice?

Closed Thread