HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NBC Sports

Old
05-17-2013, 08:22 AM
Capsized
Parity is a Disease

vCash: 500
NBC Sports

Do you have NBC Sports Network on your system? I live in a rural area where satellite is the only option. NBC isn't available and now they are the carrier for all playoff games. I drove a half hour to watch game one of rd 2 at my brother-in-law's but I can't do that for every game not to mention the NBC commentators are horrible. After enduring 3 lockouts and the reduction of quality due to rule changes and the salary cap this may be the last straw for me with the NHL. I would like to thank the NHL for doing such a bang up job.
Is there anyone else here that doesn't get NBC Sports Network?

Capsized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 08:33 AM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsized View Post
Do you have NBC Sports Network on your system? I live in a rural area where satellite is the only option. NBC isn't available and now they are the carrier for all playoff games. I drove a half hour to watch game one of rd 2 at my brother-in-law's but I can't do that for every game not to mention the NBC commentators are horrible. After enduring 3 lockouts and the reduction of quality due to rule changes and the salary cap this may be the last straw for me with the NHL. I would like to thank the NHL for doing such a bang up job.
Is there anyone else here that doesn't get NBC Sports Network?
This isn't 3 years ago. Everyone should get it unless they have a bare bones cable package provider. Get a better satellite system.

Vladdy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 09:18 AM
Capsized
Parity is a Disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladdy84 View Post
This isn't 3 years ago. Everyone should get it unless they have a bare bones cable package provider. Get a better satellite system.
Unfortunately there aren't better options. Dish Network is it. Cable isn't even available in the area. They offer NBCSN but I would have to buy a package of other channels I don't want and after the playoffs I won't want NBC either.

Old
05-17-2013, 09:59 AM
redjax
Boom Roasted.

Dish makes money by having really low intro packages and making you pay alot for any single addition. NBC Sports is worth it for hockey fans from October-June...can't you just get the package for the next X number of weeks then cancel? That's what I do with Comcast.

In any case, if you don't want to pay the extra, a bar is your best option. Then again, one bar tab for one hockey game is going to be higher than the additional cost to add the channel package.

I've had NBC sports standard since 2009, back when it was Versus, and I have been on three different cable companies in four different locations.

redjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 10:09 AM
Capsized
Parity is a Disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by alConn View Post
Dish makes money by having really low intro packages and making you pay alot for any single addition. NBC Sports is worth it for hockey fans from October-June...can't you just get the package for the next X number of weeks then cancel? That's what I do with Comcast.

In any case, if you don't want to pay the extra, a bar is your best option. Then again, one bar tab for one hockey game is going to be higher than the additional cost to add the channel package.

I've had NBC sports standard since 2009, back when it was Versus, and I have been on three different cable companies in four different locations.
Unfortunately a bar is too far to be worth it and I am not willing to add 130 channel package to watch Bettman's parity league. I guess I will take up watching poker. It gets much better coverage than the "New NHL".

Old
05-17-2013, 10:11 AM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

Send a message via AIM to Vyacheslav
You have internet, why not watch the games on the computer?

Vyacheslav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 10:15 AM
Indiana Pittsburgh
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyacheslav View Post
Exactly. Every.Single.Game.

Indiana Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 10:19 AM
Sameheda

On Uverse in Austin, I'd have to get at least the $74/mo package to get the channel, which is utterly ridiculous. I said goodbye to cable a long time ago because it's so overpriced and doesn't allow you to build your own channel package. I'd be more than happy to pay a few dollars per channel if I could just build my own listing of ones I actually give a damn about.

So I just stream all my games that I can't watch on Gamecenter via VLC.

Sameheda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 10:53 AM
redjax
Boom Roasted.

I get cable mainly because internet is so expensive otherwise. Internet at the level I have it currently (20 down, which is basically one above entry level) by itself is $65 ($35 for 6 months, then $50 for another 6 months, then $65 thereafter). I basically get cable (HD, HBO, all dem channels) for $30 a month. Internet competition is atrocious in America, mostly due to rural areas and general size and cost (unlike, say, South Korea).

Last edited by redjax: 05-17-2013 at 10:59 AM.
redjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 01:13 PM
Capsized
Parity is a Disease

Quote:
Yeah, it gets worse. I don't have cable internet. I have a sprint device that dials in to cellular towers. Works fine for anything but streaming video.

Old
05-17-2013, 02:22 PM
RedWinger10

NBC Sports Network is probly in a different channel package. I had to get a better package (+$4.00/month) where I live to get it totally worth it.

RedWinger10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 02:36 PM
Sameheda

Quote:
Yeah, it gets worse. I don't have cable internet. I have a sprint device that dials in to cellular towers. Works fine for anything but streaming video.
Dude do you live in Alaska?

Sameheda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 03:11 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Unfortunately a bar is too far to be worth it and I am not willing to add 130 channel package to watch Bettman's parity league. I guess I will take up watching poker. It gets much better coverage than the "New NHL".
I have to be honest if the whole a la carte cable thing does happen in the future like some people predict, I would order the "new NHL" network before ESPN. That network has really fallen off. Year round television coverage for the NFL and NBA, no thanks. Not to mention the only reason I flip it on now is for B1G games and they are in bed with Fox and leaving for their new national sports network and putting everything else on the B1G network. I guess to each their own but while everyone continues to bag on NBCSN, the re-branding has really helped that network. Dan Patrick in the mornings and they are starting to gain some momentum and the product has really improved if you're being honest. Doesn't hurt that they cater heavily to hockey which is my favorite sport, but overall they have made a lot of strides lately if you're being honest about how far that network has come.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 03:22 PM
Shawn Lutz

Send a message via Yahoo to Shawn Lutz
Get DirecTV and be done with it Get the center ice package while your at it.

Shawn Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 03:26 PM
Capsized
Parity is a Disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sameheda View Post
Dude do you live in Alaska?
I am an hour north of Detroit believe it or not.

Old
05-17-2013, 03:32 PM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

Quote:
How about satellite internet?

Old
05-17-2013, 03:47 PM
chances14

Quote:
How about satellite internet?
you'll go through your data cap in less than 1 period

chances14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 03:54 PM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

Guess you'll have to get a radio, assuming earth based signals can reach your place

Old
05-17-2013, 03:54 PM
chances14

Quote:
I am an hour north of Detroit believe it or not.
i feel your pain. i live an hour north of detroit and satellite is our only option as well.

i guess we live in a black hole

chances14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 04:37 PM
Capsized
Parity is a Disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by chances14 View Post
i feel your pain. i live an hour north of detroit and satellite is our only option as well.

i guess we live in a black hole
Yeah, what's even more frustrating is that cable is only a few hundred yards down the road. I can walk around my house and my 2g cell coverage fluctuates. Signing on to the web with my phone while at home is futile.

Old
05-17-2013, 06:23 PM
probertrules24

Quote:
Yeah, what's even more frustrating is that cable is only a few hundred yards down the road. I can walk around my house and my 2g cell coverage fluctuates. Signing on to the web with my phone while at home is futile.
It sounds like your one step from being off the grid. I feel for you. Not sure what I would do with out Internet and tv. Would actually have to speak with the girlfriend.

probertrules24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 08:03 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

NBC Sports is a terrible network. I absolutely despise it. I turn the game on the moment the puck drops so I don't have to hear those morons doing the game for a single second longer than I have to. I change the channel at intermission and turn the TV off once the game is over.

The one downside of the Wings making it to the second round is losing FSD coverage.

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote