HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Jarmo Kekalainen, GM CBJ: "KHL threat is real"

Old
05-25-2013, 04:47 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

vCash: 500
Jarmo Kekalainen, GM CBJ: "KHL threat is real"

Quote:
@Aportzline 13h

Asked if #KHL threat is real, #CBJ Jarmo Kekalainen: "It's real because of the amount of money they're offering in some cases. For some...
Quote:
@Aportzline 12h
"... guys the money is too good to pass. And, for NHL clubs, if a guy is offered $5M more than you can pay, well then, 'do svidaniya.'
Quote:
@Aportzline 12h

To be abundabtly clear, Kekalainen was NOT speaking specifically about G Sergei Bobrovsky. He was speaking in general terms.
discuss

vorky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 05:56 AM
PSGJ

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
discuss
To be abundantly clear he was obviously speaking about Bobrovsky.

I think it's good though. The KHL will hopefully be a big enough threat that the NHL don't dare to have another lockout.

PSGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 06:36 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Yeah, makes sense, particularly for eastern european players. they can make more money, and often times speak their native tongue...

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 08:10 AM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Oh man, what a nightmare it would be if Bobrovsky was the cover of NHL 14... And then stolen by the KHL!

Acesolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 10:13 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Not that concerned. The KHL has been offering bigger money for awhile now, and yet almost all the big Russian stars are still in the NHL.

Hell, Hudler got twice as much money in the KHL and still came back to Detroit, then signed in Calgary for less than what he had been getting in the KHL.

I'm not sure what the reasons are for guys preferring to play in the NHL over the KHL, but obviously they're a big enough deal to turn down more money.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 10:22 AM
wunderpanda
Sabretage

KHL has roster limits for foreigners and a salary cap with an exemption for players returning from the NHL. So its better for Russians to come to the NHL anyway, because of the better salary when they return.

wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 10:29 AM
J Murda

vCash: 544
I think what they mean by the 'KHL', is actually mostly just the handful of Russian teams that can afford to offer this kind of money (St.Petersburg, AK Bars, Dynamo Moscow, etc.).

To me, I think this is good and bad for hockey. Personally, I really enjoy the KHL and am very interested in watching it's growth. They obviously want to horde all their homegrown talent and these rich teams can totally afford to offer a player who might be a second or third liner much bigger bucks to be a first liner over there and get way more minutes, all while not having to worry about having their heads turned to soup. The downside of this for the KHL though is that even with all this exciting new expansion to new countries and markets, it will still only be the same few teams competing for the Garagin Cup year after year.

This is something we are going to get used to seeing, I think. Sooner than later more NA players will start taking the six digit euro option over years on the bus in the minors and in the end it is going to help globalize the game.Yeah I'm a fan of the K, even with it's lack of parity.

J Murda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 10:41 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
even with it's lack of parity.
matter of time... look at Donbass Donetsk and HC Lev Prague - so much money. http://webhokej24.sk/rusko/khl-komen...y-hc-lev-praha

Old
05-25-2013, 11:12 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

It's a threat in the sense that it's competition for the services of players. It may be limited to certain countries, but $5 MM is $5 MM after all, and tough to pass up when careers aren't very long.

This is really all that needs to be said:
"It's real because of the amount of money they're offering in some cases. For some guys the money is too good to pass. And, for NHL clubs, if a guy is offered $5M more than you can pay, well then, 'do svidaniya."

Fugu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 11:23 AM
Leetch66

A good spot for Brad Richards to play and make another few Million .

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 11:36 AM
ebox99

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
matter of time... look at Donbass Donetsk and HC Lev Prague - so much money. http://webhokej24.sk/rusko/khl-komen...y-hc-lev-praha
it's in russian...your point being?

ebox99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 11:43 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebox99 View Post
it's in russian...your point being?
I dont care if you are russian or not.

Old
05-25-2013, 11:50 AM
ebox99

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Murda View Post
I think what they mean by the 'KHL', is actually mostly just the handful of Russian teams that can afford to offer this kind of money (St.Petersburg, AK Bars, Dynamo Moscow, etc.).

To me, I think this is good and bad for hockey. Personally, I really enjoy the KHL and am very interested in watching it's growth. They obviously want to horde all their homegrown talent and these rich teams can totally afford to offer a player who might be a second or third liner much bigger bucks to be a first liner over there and get way more minutes, all while not having to worry about having their heads turned to soup. The downside of this for the KHL though is that even with all this exciting new expansion to new countries and markets, it will still only be the same few teams competing for the Garagin Cup year after year.

This is something we are going to get used to seeing, I think. Sooner than later more NA players will start taking the six digit euro option over years on the bus in the minors and in the end it is going to help globalize the game.Yeah I'm a fan of the K, even with it's lack of parity.
KHL doesn't seem to care about making money while the NHL wants it's clubs to at least break even. KHL is overpaying players cause owners are billionaires and they want to build a rival league.

Overtime, it's better if KHL has a soft or hard salary cap so they don't overpay players and have a sustainable business model. It would also improve parity in terms of competition.

Overall, it's good for the sport of hockey to have strong markets in Russia, Europe and NA. If they can grow the game in Asia then it'll be great for the sport of hockey.

ebox99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 12:01 PM
skip2mybordeleau
Bye Stefan Elliott

vCash: 50
it will be a threat when they start poaching some nhl stars, when guys like nigel dawes and dustin boyd and the heavyweights from the ahl/echl level with guys like mirasty and kip brennan leave for money the only threat is poaching guys who are on the cusp of making the nhl but can't quite.

if guys like kovalchuk and ovechkin stayed over then there might be cause for concern but when the home grown talent still prefers the nhl it's a cakewash.

when it comes to bobrovsky i think columbus will have to spend a little extra to keep him around , maybe if the khl offered him a couple million extra he'd consider going back across the pond.

skip2mybordeleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 07:56 PM
sabresEH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Not that concerned. The KHL has been offering bigger money for awhile now, and yet almost all the big Russian stars are still in the NHL.

Hell, Hudler got twice as much money in the KHL and still came back to Detroit, then signed in Calgary for less than what he had been getting in the KHL.

I'm not sure what the reasons are for guys preferring to play in the NHL over the KHL, but obviously they're a big enough deal to turn down more money.
I'm sure the perks have something to do with it. I can't remember who it was but a NA player went over to play in the K and talked about how different things were between the leagues in terms of travel and accomidations and such. Pretty much NHL = being treated like a professional athlete KHL = treated like regular human being(not quite this black and white but you get my point).

sabresEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 09:16 PM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

NHL doesn't need to worry about KHL poaching popularity until they come to North America and have a team, which I don't see happening in the next 10 years. NHL is still king in the world's largest entertainment market (Canada/US), and is a $3B business won't be easy to takeover. ESPN and the KHL do have a relationship though, so I guess if they really wanted to they could TRY, but I dont think its likely.

Players being poached is a different story. And like someone else said its mainly the Russian teams that pose this threat.

Watch for the Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 09:42 PM
premadonna

vCash: 520
All the KHL is doing, is killing other European leagues. The NHL will be all right.

premadonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 10:34 PM
Le Golie

Anyone who is personally satisfied playing in a lesser league won't be missed in the NHL.

The big league is where the best in the world compete against the best in the world, if that's not important to a player he is better suited for a lesser league.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 11:48 PM
MartysBetterThanYou

MOD

I want the NHL to field the best players in the world regardless of nationality. It is not a Canadian league. It is not a North American league. It is a hockey league.

Last edited by Fugu: 05-25-2013 at 11:55 PM. Reason: quotes deleted post, qdp
MartysBetterThanYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 11:59 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/opinio...ey/480499.html

Quote:
Even though the NHL is still the most prestigious hockey competition, hockey in North America is in crisis. The NHL has been convulsed by regular strikes and player lockouts. But there are deeper problems. In North America, hockey is played on narrow rinks, where big, fast defensemen make it very difficult to skate. Goal cages are too small for huge goalies wearing wide light-weight equipment. With the exception of the four-on-four overtime, NHL games have turned into boring, grinding, low-scoring contests between huge men on skates elbowing each other along the boards. No wonder it is the least popular of the four major team sports in the U.S.

"European" hockey is played on wider surfaces. It is a beautiful, swift game where skating and passing are at a premium. It certainly has a better chance to win worldwide following — if only it can get the right leadership.

Russia is uniquely positioned to provide such leadership. Hockey stars are, along with hydrocarbons and weapons, its only world-class export. In 2008, Russia used its bulk and resources to form a Eurasian league, the KHL, which next year will have teams from 7 neighboring countries, including some hockey powerhouses. A team from Vladivostok will also enter the competition. This may become a gateway to the Far East, and professional clubs may be soon organized in Japan, South Korea, China and even Alaska. American kids, for example, started playing hockey long after NHL clubs appeared in U.S. cities.

What Russia needs is to view the KHL as a purely commercial undertaking and not a national one. It should pattern its business model on the NHL. As matters now stand, the KHL is excessively Russia-centered. Even its main trophy, the Gagarin Cup, has nothing to do with hockey and everything with Russia's chip-on-the-shoulder nationalism and outdated patriotism.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 12:08 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

^^^

So it's not hockey that lacks popularity, but NHL hockey on NA ice.

Old
05-26-2013, 12:41 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Where to begin.

How does the author define a crisis? If economic and viewing growth is a crisis, then i frankly cannot conjure up an apt word that would describe my life. Perhaps in 50 years Mass murderer may be used to describe someone who has many friends on social network sites.

I actually agree with the Author from the perspective of entertainment. ** MOD } I am not a regular NHL viewer, since my time zone and studies have precluded me from having that as an option, however the games i watch today i often find are a dreary and tedious affair. Creativity has been minimised in favour of regimented simplicity, Goalies truely are transformer sized and the game seems more about speed chasing the puck rather than being in control of the puck. So i agree in that sense.

Unfortunately, this isn't actually that relevant to what i assume is the Authors underlying point. It should be noted that the NHL has always been the least popular of the big 4, even in the days of what i would assume the Author may consider more entertaining and "beautiful".

The NHL is king because of economics. This isn't changing any time soon. Player pool will always be driven by capital. It would take a serious shift in world economics or domestic culture for the NHL to lose it's grip on the hockey world.

The KHL resides within a market with vastly smaller disposable income. The organisations have far fewer income flows. They draw from smaller population bases relative to hockey. Players from Europe don't have any greater affinity with Russia than they do with North America. In many cases, NA culture is more appealing, nevermind the money.

Finally, why is the KHL being Russian centric a bad thing? I would argue it isn't Russian centric enough, but that is beside the point. Last time i checked, it's the domestic league for Russian hockey. Shouldn't the interests of it's own market (I.e Russian hockey players) remain the main imperative? The NHL works in an entirely different sports system, where it has no particular obligation or need to think about the grassroots of it's own market, since exterior organisations and institutions exist for that purpose. Russian and European hockey leagues are fundamentally linked to these grassroot systems. So in my opinion being "Russian centric" is and should be fundamentally important.

Finally, the Gagarin Cup is a nice name. Why is this bad? "Nationalism" in naming a sports trophy does no harm to anybody. Should we change the name of the NHL trophies? Instead of the Stanley cup, should we change the name to the Betfair.com trophy?

I think some North American fans tend to put down the KHL and European leagues unfairly at times. It's very good hockey, hockey that often requires different skills and concepts. The NHL is king, but it doesn't mean its fans should be ignorant of other products. However, this article is garbage. It lives within some idealistic dream land where facts and sensibility don't exist. He must be the type of person who is perpetually amazed and suprised when he runs into what we would call everyday life situations. Maybe he doesn't use money as his main method of trading. Perhaps he uses locks of hair, or winks.

Last edited by Fugu: 05-26-2013 at 12:55 PM. Reason: no generalizations/flaming, please
J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 12:55 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

The problem I specifically have with the bigger ice is that the pressure points in the game are unchanged regardless of the ice size. If you want to skate around the perimeter all day long, so be it, but the percentages don't change in terms of probability of scoring from 10 feet, 20 ft, or 60 ft. If defenders choose to leave the high percentage zones and chase after skaters in the perimeter, then they're not really very bright at all.

Imagine if you will doubling the ice size (not being practical here, of course, just speaking hypothetically to illustrate the point). How much of the play will be out towards the edges and what will be concentrated in the straightest line possible between the two goals and in the high percentage scoring areas?

Old
05-26-2013, 12:59 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Certainly valid, although at least with the bigger ice zone entries are far easier and we actually get to see more puck work, even if it may indirect.

A moot argument since it is patently not going to happen. If anything, we are more likely to see European hockey adopting NA sized rinks than the other way round.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 04:35 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Ice soccer is not as entertaining as they are trying to make it out to be.