HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis has his work cut out for him

Old
05-22-2013, 10:35 PM
Jax Teller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The CyNick View Post
Its going to look ugly when he is 38 and taking up nearly 7 million in cap space.

I cant believe anyone would ever entertain the notion of Richards being added to this group.
Do you really think he'll stick around earning 1 million per season at 38 years old with the money he'll have made over his career?

Jax Teller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 11:03 PM
Ari91

I don't even wanna go near Richards.

Considering that Richards has played under Torts system before and Torts was a big reason why Richards wanted the Rangers from the start, blaming his woes on the coaching system doesn't sound justifiable to me. For someone like Nash, I get. For Richards, this isn't new territory and certainly not in your second year with the team.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 07:11 AM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnybaby View Post
Do you really think he'll stick around earning 1 million per season at 38 years old with the money he'll have made over his career?
It's not as simple as that. You need to read up on the cap impact of retiring players.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 08:27 AM
Anthrax442

vCash: 551
Nah. Let the Rangers buy him out, then we can offer him a 3 year 5 per or something.

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 08:36 AM
Smif

If I'm a 1st line Center, I'm licking my lips at the sight of this...

JVR - XXXXX - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Kulemin

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 08:41 AM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Except there really aren't any UFA #1 C's, so short of demanding a trade they really can't do much.

Rob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 08:49 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CyNick View Post
Do they run the team?

Fans for the most part are idiots. so I wouldn't put much stock in what they say.

you are still taking on a bad contract and limiting ice for guys who need to develop. if you bring in a guy who is 33, in three years you will be looking for a replacement. at least a guy like joe is awesome. richards is pretty meh to me at this stage.

the schenn for jvr trade is the type of trade that makes sense for us. similar age guys that fill a void for each team.

if the suggestion was something like gardiner for duchesne, then I would see logic. but getting an old guy to lead this team is bonkers.
Well....considreing this would never happen, i guess you're good resigning Bozak and letting him be our 1C for 4-5 more years? There are no....as in zero teams looking to deal either established or potential #1C's, so Nonis is going to have to get creative.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 09:11 AM
Anthrax442

vCash: 551
What about Weiss on a short deal like Connolly's?

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 09:24 AM
Parkdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post
Short term (2-3 yrs) work best for teams, but longer term (more guaranteed $) is preferred by UFA's. Depends on who has the more bargaining power. Connolly had little....Weiss should have more.

Parkdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 09:40 AM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
One thing people seem to forget is that in July 2011 Brad Richards choose the Rangers over the Maple Leafs. I realize he was a UFA and he had a right to say where he wanted to play and I'm sure his history with John Tortorella was a reason why. However part of me thinks if he didn't want to sign with Toronto 2 years ago, do the Leafs want to trade for him (which is a mistake based on his contract) and would he even consider signing in Toronto if he gets bought out and that also means playing in another major market with a lot of media attention. If he puts up the same numbers he had this past season he would hear about it a lot more from the Toronto media then he did in New York and does he want to go through that?
You guys keep on bringing up the same thing. He signed there because he was offered the most money there. Only reason, Torts or no Torts. Leafs were not willing to pay on that type of deal and that is why we weren't a consideration. Unless he wants to go back to Dallas I really don't see another team having a spot for him unless maybe Chi falls to Det.

This team needs more veteran leadership so when they are up 4-1 again in the third they don't have that collapse. While playing young guys is great in theory you can't have a team of only young players and hope you will succeed. Take a look at McClement, can't find that player in a 20 year old, they don't exist and are not willing to play that role. This team could maybe take on Colbourne and maybe Reily, other than that you are asking for trouble.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 10:04 AM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post
You guys keep on bringing up the same thing. He signed there because he was offered the most money there. Only reason, Torts or no Torts. Leafs were not willing to pay on that type of deal and that is why we weren't a consideration. Unless he wants to go back to Dallas I really don't see another team having a spot for him unless maybe Chi falls to Det.

This team needs more veteran leadership so when they are up 4-1 again in the third they don't have that collapse. While playing young guys is great in theory you can't have a team of only young players and hope you will succeed. Take a look at McClement, can't find that player in a 20 year old, they don't exist and are not willing to play that role. This team could maybe take on Colbourne and maybe Reily, other than that you are asking for trouble.
No Richards got offered more from Calgary which was the mystery team that was after him. I remember Dreger saying that. Calgary came in with a late offer and it blew Richards and his agent away. That's why it took a little longer for him to sign with a team, it wasn't that the Rangers offered more money, Richards wanted to go to NY and play with his former coach which he probably felt the most comfortable with. Richards actually took less money and a longer deal to play in NY

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 10:18 AM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnybaby View Post
I don't really care, because I wouldn't be taking that risk in the first place. he's not worth the risk. Broduer is still playing. St Louis is still playing. you just never know.

The CyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 10:22 AM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Well....considreing this would never happen, i guess you're good resigning Bozak and letting him be our 1C for 4-5 more years? There are no....as in zero teams looking to deal either established or potential #1C's, so Nonis is going to have to get creative.
I have never said that's a deal that is out there. I'm just saying that is the type of deal you consider moving jake in.

I'm but happy about Bozak as number one, but in a cap system you shouldn't let assets walk for free.

there are no number one centres in fee agency, so might as well stick with what worked this year and hope guys develop internally.

Old
05-23-2013, 10:24 AM
Daisy Joy
Jerry D'asigo

I won't be surprised if he [Bozak]'s rights gets traded for a 3rd rounder or something.

Daisy Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 10:26 AM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

oh and I'm guessing people posting on here are not wired in with the other 29 GMs to know is out there and what isn't.

Old
05-23-2013, 10:26 AM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Joy View Post
I won't be surprised if he [Bozak]'s rights gets traded for a 3rd rounder or something.
which would be useless unless we have someone in mind to replace what he does.

Old
05-23-2013, 10:33 AM
Deebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Joy View Post
I think the days of trading for UFA rights might be over with this:

Quote:
Opening date for Free Agency shall remain status quo (July 1).

Unrestricted Free Agents may meet and interview with potential new Clubs from the day after the
Entry Draft (but not later than June 25) until June 30.
http://cdn.agilitycms.com/nhlpacom/P...ms-1-10-13.pdf

Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 10:34 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Brad Richards scratched for tonight's game, apparently.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?...d=nhl:topheads

05-23-2013, 10:35 AM
Vexxed14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
Brad Richards scratched, apparently.
I don't understand how Sather has a job in NY sometimes. I know he has had success but if any GM in Toronto made his blunders in UFA even a cup wouldn't save him for more than a season or two.

Vexxed14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 10:39 AM
Daisy Joy
Jerry D'asigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
I think the days of trading for UFA rights might be over with this:

http://cdn.agilitycms.com/nhlpacom/P...ms-1-10-13.pdf

Oh!
well. that's... new. [to me!]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexxed14 View Post
I don't understand how Sather has a job in NY sometimes. I know he has had success but if any GM in Toronto made his blunders in UFA even a cup wouldn't save him for more than a season or two.

He has pictures. that is all.
if he were here, the fans would have had his head.

Daisy Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 11:06 AM
satyr9

IMO the biggest things Nonis needs to worry about are extensions. I know it's not the nice fancy new toys we'd all like, but the headaches of not addressing them would be massive. I think Kessel is an absolute no brainer and he'll have to decide about Phaneuf and Kulemin too. Also, if you could lock up Reimer longer at a nice manageable number (3's instead of 5's) I'd definitely look into that. Even McClement is a guy you wouldn't want to let walk for nothing at this point, but IMO he'll play it out.

I can see him letting Phaneuf and Kule ride depending on negotiations, although that's a pretty big gamble and will lead to a metric blankton of rumormongering and speculation next year, but Kessel will get decided on this offseason for an almost absolute certainty. No one wants to see how the media and fans deal with an expiring Phil in this town.

After that, Nonis has about 16m before any buyouts to re-sign up to 7 RFAs and choose on Bozak (I don't see them meeting on a number) and upgrades. That's all relatively standard, but RFA's alone will soak up most of his space even without Bozie, so buyouts on the potential candidates (Komi,Liles,Grabo) will be contingent on what deals/UFAs become available I'm guessing.

And in that regard, if Lombardi can get dealt after the year he had by eating 1.5, I can't see why you couldn't do the same with Komi, saving 2.5ish mil in cap and a buyout.

Liles is so tough to gauge for me. Before this year I would've thought his deal was tradeable and would stay so, given his skillset and the lack of it throughout the league, but all the benchings are gonna make people very wary and so many teams are going to be cap stretched this offseason, he's probably pretty hard to deal and is my most likely candidate for a buyout.

Grabo only goes if there's a 1C out there to be had with his money. Great if you can find it, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one, although I do think they save a buyout just in case the opportunity arises in the next 12 months.

The frustrating part is that with the cap going down, there simply aren't going to be the same kinds of dollars available this offseason, so there's a chance it's a pretty good year to get in on UFAs, but the cap space is pretty tight, especially when you consider the uncertainty of the limit beyond next season.

satyr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 05:33 PM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

Extensions are tough. It really depends on the guy.

For the most part, I would rather wait to see what the player does in their contract year. Kessel might be the exception, I think he's shown he can put up 80 points and is worth keeping around as long as he wants to be here.

If Dion could be extended at a home town discount, great. But I dont see that happening.

With James, I cant imagine his team telling him to sign an extension this off season. If he has another good year, he can probably command 5 million per year.

Kulemin I would wait to see more from. Not exactly sure what he is yet.

Old
05-23-2013, 09:03 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post
Connolly actually got slightly overpaid (based on the market when he signed, not what he turned out to be worth) because he took short term. That would make Weiss a $6 million player if he would take a shorter deal. He is really unlikely to earn that kind of money. He is a player I would sign only if I had zero other options. If they let Boz walk and could deal Grabo without eating any salary, then they would at least be carrying only one questionable salary and they could absorb him into their cap if he sagged. I just see him as as likely to be a 50ish point guy as not and they have two of those already. I recognize his resume suggests he COULD do a lot more but Horton showed that leaving Florida is no guarantee a player can step their game up. I think he hits less than Bozak and I am not sure he is any better on the dot. Ribeiro, who is runtier yet, hits more I think, and is a safer bet to produce offensively because he always has.

Edit- checked the FO and he is good but not really Bruin good. Except for one season he really hasn't been a much better goal scorer than Boz. 20ish is a typical year (granted not an all-star supporting cast). If his suck this year is isolated he might do 60 points, but that is not much for inflated UFA dollars.

If they want another center to me it's Ribeiro, or trade for Stastmy or Cammalleri. Cammy doesn't hit much and he is only average on FO (although much better than Kadri) but I am quite certain he would outscore Weiss, Grabo, or Bozak handily. Not sure if they want to add another forward that costly,but it would go without saying they would need to move Groabovski to accommodate an upgrade. As I have said before, he is quite deal able, and for value, if they retain q chunk of his salary. Even UFAs wouldn't look as appealing if Grabo only came with a $2.75-$3 million per price tag.

Last edited by nuck: 05-23-2013 at 09:52 PM.
nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 10:01 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
I don't even wanna go near Richards.

Considering that Richards has played under Torts system before and Torts was a big reason why Richards wanted the Rangers from the start, blaming his woes on the coaching system doesn't sound justifiable to me. For someone like Nash, I get. For Richards, this isn't new territory and certainly not in your second year with the team.
To be kind of fair, Torts did change up his system from the Tampa days. Also, if Richards gets bought out I'd love to take a chance on him if he comes cheap.

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 11:32 PM
philer Bozel
It's Playoff Time!

If we get Stasney then ya sure I guess so.

philer Bozel is offline   Reply With Quote