HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis has his work cut out for him

Old
05-20-2013, 02:22 PM
Beleafer4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
So, "it's not our time yet", but we're going to sign Clarkson and trade for Robidas anyway?
Clarkson depending on price, I would like to have a guy in the top 9 who can fight going forward. It really adds to the team toughness. If he is too overpriced, that can be open spot in camp. That or komarov/mcclement play there with gordon on the 4th.

I thought robidas was a FA for some reason. Regardless I would try to sign a competent D for cheap. Off the top of my head, Roszival, Lydman, Scuderi, Ference, Murray are all options. Im actually not as opposed as others with running gunnarsson-phaneuf for the short term.

Also if a quality center ends up not being signed in FA or is bought out by his own team, I would take a run at him too.

The important thing is that we dont overpay for anyone. If an overpaid player doesnt work out on your team, he is almost impossible to move.

Beleafer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 02:46 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleafer4 View Post
The important thing is that we dont overpay for anyone. If an overpaid player doesnt work out on your team, he is almost impossible to move.
Like Grabovski or Liles....

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 05:08 PM
deuce457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
Like Grabovski or Liles....
jason blake was traded so lets not players cant be dealt.

deuce457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 05:12 PM
legendinblue
NHL in Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspring View Post
Whats with the "we choked" at the bottom did yid you lose a bet?
Nah, I don't do bets, just telling it like it is.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 05:51 PM
smitty10

Does anyone think that Bobby Ryan could be a target of Nonis this offseason? I think that he'll be available after Anaheim lost out in the first round. He could really make our second line deadly and add size/skill to the top 6.

What would it take to get him?

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 05:59 PM
nuck
Flatfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce457 View Post
jason blake was traded so lets not players cant be dealt.
Plus Lebda and Lombardi. Liles has term left, but he also has value. He will be dealt, not bought out.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 06:38 PM
The_Chosen_One

I don't think our biggest need is a centre, but more of an aesthetic need. For some reason, there has to be a orthodox playmaking centre even though I'd take Eric Staal, Steven Stamkos over most orthodox centres.

That being said, I feel that a top 4 defenceman who can help out Phaneuf. In fact, this was the major reason we ended up losing to Boston and in the regular season as well. Our D core got exploited and making mental errors (i.e. Gardiner's pass to Bergeron in OT, Gunnars/ Phaneuf pinching).

In addition, there are rumours that we're going to be trying to sign Clarkson, but not Weiss, et al. I could see that Randy would want us to get a lot bigger. Clarkson is tenacious, quite skilled two-way guy and will help us a lot in that regard.

Kadri has been used in a #1C role and is going to be fine. The idea that we need one more PPG player is outright insane. If the need of an orthodox centre is so required, we may as well just trade for one.

As for Stastny, I doubt Colorado is moving him unless overpaid. I can see them placing him on wing. To get a trade going will require the first pick, JVR, and no, Colborne, who is being penciled in as some checking forward won't cut it. Don't get me wrong, I think Joe is going to be a top six forward, but I'm certain that the Aves want matured players.

JVR - Kadri- Kessel
Lupul - Grabovski - Kulemin
Clarkson - Colborne - Frattin
Komarov - McClement - Orr

Phaneuf - X
Gardiner - Franson
Gunnars - Fraser
Blacker

The_Chosen_One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 06:43 PM
The_Chosen_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Does anyone think that Bobby Ryan could be a target of Nonis this offseason? I think that he'll be available after Anaheim lost out in the first round. He could really make our second line deadly and add size/skill to the top 6.

I can't see Anahiem doing that at all. In the current NHL, it's better to keep a top line goal scorer than look for a top line playmaker. Someone at Ryan's level will be a scoring threat even with Matt Stajan. For that reason, expect Anahiem to keep him and sign/ trade a centre that can distribute the puck.

The_Chosen_One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 11:35 AM
deuce457

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chosen_One View Post
I don't think our biggest need is a centre, but more of an aesthetic need. For some reason, there has to be a orthodox playmaking centre even though I'd take Eric Staal, Steven Stamkos over most orthodox centres.

That being said, I feel that a top 4 defenceman who can help out Phaneuf. In fact, this was the major reason we ended up losing to Boston and in the regular season as well. Our D core got exploited and making mental errors (i.e. Gardiner's pass to Bergeron in OT, Gunnars/ Phaneuf pinching).

In addition, there are rumours that we're going to be trying to sign Clarkson, but not Weiss, et al. I could see that Randy would want us to get a lot bigger. Clarkson is tenacious, quite skilled two-way guy and will help us a lot in that regard.

Kadri has been used in a #1C role and is going to be fine. The idea that we need one more PPG player is outright insane. If the need of an orthodox centre is so required, we may as well just trade for one.

As for Stastny, I doubt Colorado is moving him unless overpaid. I can see them placing him on wing. To get a trade going will require the first pick, JVR, and no, Colborne, who is being penciled in as some checking forward won't cut it. Don't get me wrong, I think Joe is going to be a top six forward, but I'm certain that the Aves want matured players.

JVR - Kadri- Kessel

Phaneuf - X
Gardiner - Franson
Gunnars - Fraser
Blacker
What D do you have in mind?

I think St Louis is going to be very interesting to watch, they may have to move Polak or Jackman to sign Shattenkirk, Pietrangelo and Russell, plus keeping J-Bo.

Would either of them fit in beside Phaneuf? Jackman may be the ideal guy over Polak? I havent watched too many Blues games to give a true assessment.

Also Vancouver is in cap hell and a guy like Bieksa could be had for picks and prospects. Certainly any team that takes on Luongo will be sending money back. According to CapGeek.com they are over the cap today for next year and have 5 or 6 players to sign.

Old
05-21-2013, 11:36 AM
deuce457

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce457 View Post
What D do you have in mind?

I think St Louis is going to be very interesting to watch, they may have to move Polak or Jackman to sign Shattenkirk, Pietrangelo and Russell, plus keeping J-Bo.

Would either of them fit in beside Phaneuf? Jackman may be the ideal guy over Polak? I havent watched too many Blues games to give a true assessment.

Also Vancouver is in cap hell and a guy like Bieksa could be had for picks and prospects. Certainly any team that takes on Luongo will be sending money back. According to CapGeek.com they are over the cap today for next year and have 5 or 6 players to sign.
Also just looked at Vancouvers roster and noticed everyone has a NTC, they are in big trouble.

Old
05-21-2013, 12:35 PM
Liferleafer
Low expectations

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuck View Post
Plus Lebda and Lombardi. Liles has term left, but he also has value. He will be dealt, not bought out.
I'm not sure why Liles should be dealt....unless we all enjoy Kostka and Holzer eating minutes.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 12:39 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
I'm not sure why Liles should be dealt....unless we all enjoy Kostka and Holzer eating minutes.
Well the Leafs defense needs improvement is the general consensus. Therefore with Phaneuf, Gardiner, Franson, Gunnarsson and likely Fraser all returning that leaves only 1 spot left for that improvement to occur..

Its not Liles that is that person, as he is the main one being upgraded on to fill the 6 regular spots. Small, soft, and weak defensively, everything that Liles is, is what we don't want any longer.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 12:53 PM
mikebel111*
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chosen_One View Post

JVR - Kadri- Kessel

Phaneuf - X
Gardiner - Franson
Gunnars - Fraser
Blacker

we don't need another PPG player, lupul and kessel are those for us, plus kadri will be one or atleast close to being on very soon.
but yeah, if we can get a top 4 dman to take pressure off dion, that would be huge.

plus our prospects are coming to help us also. like you mentioned, blacker, finn, rielly, percy and many more.

just stay the course and just get a top 4 dman, and if clarkson comes at a good price, him too, plus maybe some veteran leadership

mikebel111* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 01:02 PM
frankthetank91

Why do so many people slot Clarkson on the 3rd line. I love Kuley but he is simply not better than Clarkson.

Kulemin=great 3rd liner
Clarkson=great 2nd liner

frankthetank91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 01:03 PM
Singh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleafer4 View Post
I know many want us to take the next step next year, but I dont think its our time yet.

As far as im concerned, we should buyout komi and liles (if no one wants him)

And roll with these lines

Kessel-Kadri-Lupul
JVR-Grabbo-Kulemin
XXX-Colborne-Frattin
Komarov-McClement-Orr

Phaneuf-XXXX
Franson-Gardiner
Gunnarsson-Fraser/Ranger/Blacker

I propose Clarkson and Robidas. Signing boyd gordon would be a good move too.

And next year they will have to keep an eye out for any top Cs that become available
I would maybe put Kulemin on the third line and hope we resign MacArthur for the second line. He is a legit 2nd line player that was inadequately used by Carlyle (kind of like Lupul in Anaheim).

Clarkson would be nice, but he is going to cost way too much. I would rather use those resources elsewhere.

Goaltending and Centres are not an issue for this team. Reimer was a top 10 goalie in the NHL this year (SV% amongst regular playing goalies), Grabbo is a legit 2C, and Kadri will hopefully fill in the 1C role playing with Kessel.

Hopefully Nonis puts his focus on getting another top pairing D-man to take some pressure off Phaneuf. Robidas is a very good idea if he was available to take.

Last edited by Singh: 05-21-2013 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Spelling, Stat
Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 02:32 PM
Parkdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Well the Leafs defense needs improvement is the general consensus. Therefore with Phaneuf, Gardiner, Franson, Gunnarsson and likely Fraser all returning that leaves only 1 spot left for that improvement to occur..

Its not Liles that is that person, as he is the main one being upgraded on to fill the 6 regular spots. Small, soft, and weak defensively, everything that Liles is, is what we don't want any longer.
Leafs need to improve their defense and every D can be improved on. Good trades can involve players we still want to keep, not just players we want to get rid of.

Parkdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 03:40 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank91 View Post
Why do so many people slot Clarkson on the 3rd line. I love Kuley but he is simply not better than Clarkson.

Kulemin=great 3rd liner
Clarkson=great 2nd liner
I'm probably as a big a Clarkson fan as there is, but to suggest Clarkson is the better player, is ridiculous. Clarkson doesnt bring nearly what Kulemin can to the table; plain and simple.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 03:42 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:

Why would the Leafs even consider this? Defense is a much bigger priority, scoring goals and putting up points is the least of the Leafs worries.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 03:45 PM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Vancouver is already at the cap and need to sign 6 more players to get to the 23 man roster. They must shed salary.

Now a lot of Vancouver fans are talking buyouts, but fans saying buyout and management saying buyout are two entirely different things.

Toronto needs a top pairing D - Vancouver has 3 that could fit the bill
Vancouver needs a few cheaper roster players - Toronto has a few that could interest Vancouver.

My suggestion would be to target one of Bieksa, Hamhuis, or Garrison by offering Gunnarson, one of our Marlie D and a young forward. (depending on which Vancouver D we could get).

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 06:51 PM
hockeyfanz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
Why would the Leafs even consider this? Defense is a much bigger priority, scoring goals and putting up points is the least of the Leafs worries.
I agree with the defence part..;.but if you don't think getting Bobby Ryan makes the Leafs a better team then wow...just wow. If he is available..of course Nonis is interested. So are about another 20 teams.

hockeyfanz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 07:05 PM
MarryMarner

Re-sign Bozak, Kessel and Phaneuf
Sign Jerome Iginla to a 3 year 15 million
Sign Douglas Murray 3 years 11 million
Trade Grabovski

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Iginla
Kulemin - Colborne - Frattin

Gunnarsson - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Murray
Fraser - Franson

Reimer
Scrivens

MarryMarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 07:06 PM
tooncesmeow

Quote:

Too much. He'd be our 2nd line RW making 5.5M and we'd be trading to a team wanting to win now.

tooncesmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 07:11 PM
tooncesmeow

Quote:
Originally Posted by egd27 View Post
Vancouver is already at the cap and need to sign 6 more players to get to the 23 man roster. They must shed salary.

Now a lot of Vancouver fans are talking buyouts, but fans saying buyout and management saying buyout are two entirely different things.

Vancouver needs a few cheaper roster players - Toronto has a few that could interest Vancouver.

My suggestion would be to target one of Bieksa, Hamhuis, or Garrison by offering Gunnarson, one of our Marlie D and a young forward. (depending on which Vancouver D we could get).
Bieksa could be possible but doubted, Hamhuis looked great, Garrison didn't. Garrison is redundant. I doubt we land any of Vancouver's big D. Most likely Ballard gets bought out, Luongo traded, and then they start talking about moving someone else but I'd bet they try to move Booth or Higgins before anyone else.

tooncesmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 07:25 PM
Teeder9
Free rent for Mo?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by egd27 View Post

The only way they trade us a dman is in a Luongo trade. Pretty sure they aren't looking to help us out

Teeder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 07:40 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

vCash: 50
Stastny is a better option than any one of Weiss, Bozak, Ribeiro, Gagner, etc. Much Better. He's a cerebral player who can dish the puck and will score alot of goals in front of the net. Adds a dimension we're lacking on a line with Phil. Did I mention he's good on the dot as well?

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote