HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Your favorite hockey quotes

Closed Thread

Old
05-17-2005, 10:43 AM
Youreallygotme

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo
Trevor Linden was asked (1994 work stoppage) his opinion on rapidly rising player salaries driving ticket prices so high that average families cannot afford to go to games any more.

"Let them go to the carnival then"

Ever since that interview I have had a serious HATE on for Linden. And I have not paid to see a Canucks game since.
He's changed since then, thank god. I never knew he was such as ******** back then

Old
05-17-2005, 10:49 AM
Boilers*

Jean Princepe talking with Corey Cross after his game winning goal "Well you don't get too many of those do you?

Corey " Well, every once in awhile the blind squirrel finds the nut".

His nickname in the dressing room is probably "squirrel nuts" Cross.

Old
05-17-2005, 10:53 AM
Crosby=Gretzky

Send a message via MSN to Crosby=Gretzky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili
"Goaltending is a normal job. Sure! How would you like it in your job if every time you made a small mistake, a red light went on over your desk and fifteen thousand people stood up and yelled at you."

-Jacques Plante.
I forgot that one! That's my favourite!
Here's two:
Peter Popovic: Everything can happen in the NHL. They can trade God himself. Just if they get something good in return.
Forsberg(when he got the question what he was thinking when Janne Ninimaa was behind him in a game against Edmonton in 1999): "I'm going to kill that ****ing finn in the corner"

Old
05-17-2005, 01:33 PM
Human Megaphone

"Optional is latin for "be there"" - Darryl Sutter on practices

"I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em." --Jim Valvano

Last edited by Human Megaphone: 05-17-2005 at 01:38 PM.
Old
05-17-2005, 01:45 PM
jamiebez

"Take the straightest path to the puck and arrive in ill humor." - Flyers coach Fred Shero

Old
05-17-2005, 02:06 PM
Sixty Six

"Great moments are born from great oppertunities" Herb Brooks

Old
05-17-2005, 06:27 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 705
"Some broadcast booths are so small you have to go outside to change your mind."

-"Chicken Parm" Ray Ferraro

"Nieuwendyk must go to bed at night and he says 'Lord, what did I do? I've got Ponikarovsky on one side and I got An-drop-ov on the other side. What did I do wrong?' Here's a play maker. A beautiful guy. And he's got a 9 goal scorer and the other guy, dumb penalty again. A stupid penalty. He's got 4 penalties. Useless penalties. You'll never win a Stanley Cup with guys like that. "

-Don Cherry

One of the hosts on the FAN 590 in Toronto was talking to Doug MacLean on air one day, he said "Nick (Kypreos) is as dumb as a brick."

Doug MacLean said: "I know I coached him."

"When you're hot, you're hot, and Fernando Pisani is Italian Sausage hot right now."

-Morley Scott

"We play hospital hockey on the road....We have a lot of patience."

-Ville Nieminen

"I shoot puck, I score goal." - I think this was Alexander Mogilny or Sergei Varlamov

Old
05-17-2005, 06:58 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

"I guess that's what they eat up there"
Tyler Wright accusing Jordin Tootoo of biting him in a scrum

Old
05-17-2005, 07:27 PM
Ludwig Fell Down

Herb Brooks motivational speech before the Finland game:

"You lose this game and you'll take it to your *&#$@ing grave . . .

YOUR &$^%ING GRAVE!!"

Old
05-17-2005, 07:38 PM
Art Vandelay

Send a message via MSN to Art Vandelay
"All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity."

- Gordie Howe

"The most difficult position for a team in hockey is being up 3-0" (my translation)
- Håkan Södergren (Swedish player turned commentator)

"And here is Krutov, with a face that only a mother can love" (my translation)
- Arne Hegerfors (Swedish commentator)

Old
05-17-2005, 08:11 PM
tom_servo

A series of good ones from Kevin Stevens and Bryan Trottier.

Old
05-17-2005, 10:16 PM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
''We know that hockey is where we live, where we can best meet and overcome pain and wrong and death. Life is just a place where we spend time between games'' Fylers coach Fred Shero

''Win today and we walk together forever'' Fred Shero

''If Jaromir Jagr can wear a mullet for eight years why can't I wear a Mohawk'' Bryan McCabe

''Forget about style; worry about results'' Bobby Orr

''If I can be half the hockey player that Bobby Orr was, I'll be happy'' Ray Bourque

''Playing with Steve Guolla is like playing with myself'' Jeff Friesen

Old
05-17-2005, 10:27 PM
BlackBirRd5

Cherry - "Marshall Johnston wouldn't know a hockey player if one hit him in the mouth!"

so true..

Old
05-18-2005, 12:22 AM
CanadienDude
Katie B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_servo
A series of good ones from Kevin Stevens and Bryan Trottier.
That was great.

Old
05-18-2005, 10:06 AM
Habsfan 32

''I don't mind [Pavel] Bure or [Alexei] Yashi. i don't mind Markus Naslund. But if you get Europeans who don't score, they're useless, because they don't do anything else.'' Don Cherry

''Fifty percent of the game is mental and the other 50 percent is being mental. I've got that part down no problem.'' Basil McRae

''I remember my first year, I hit him with three good punches and couldn't believe he was still standing. He hit me with one and cracked my helmet. My head hurt for a week.'' George Laraque on Stu Grimson

''Lemieux fights like a girl. He couldn't beat his way out of a paper bag.'' Rangers Coach John Muckler on Claude Lemieux

''I had a poster of Probert on my wall. When I fought him for the first and only time, I thought to myself, 'Great, I got out alive'.'' Eric Cairns on his childhood idol Bob Probert

''It's going to be nice to be embarrassed in practice instead of games.'' Panther Rhett Warrener, on having Pavel Bure become a teammate

Old
05-19-2005, 02:15 PM
joepeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan 32
''I don't mind [Pavel] Bure or [Alexei] Yashi. i don't mind Markus Naslund. But if you get Europeans who don't score, they're useless, because they don't do anything else.'' Don Cherry

''Fifty percent of the game is mental and the other 50 percent is being mental. I've got that part down no problem.'' Basil McRae

''I remember my first year, I hit him with three good punches and couldn't believe he was still standing. He hit me with one and cracked my helmet. My head hurt for a week.'' George Laraque on Stu Grimson

''Lemieux fights like a girl. He couldn't beat his way out of a paper bag.'' Rangers Coach John Muckler on Claude Lemieux

''I had a poster of Probert on my wall. When I fought him for the first and only time, I thought to myself, 'Great, I got out alive'.'' Eric Cairns on his childhood idol Bob Probert

''It's going to be nice to be embarrassed in practice instead of games.'' Panther Rhett Warrener, on having Pavel Bure become a teammate

"I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em." --Jim Valvano

ahahhahaahhahahahahahahahahahhahahahhaha

Thats a good one.........

Old
05-19-2005, 03:58 PM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig Fell Down
Herb Brooks motivational speech before the Finland game:

"You lose this game and you'll take it to your *&#$@ing grave . . .

YOUR &$^%ING GRAVE!!"
I loved that quote.

Also from Herb Brooks -

"You're looking for players whose name on the front of the sweater is more important than the one on the back. I look for these players to play hard, to play smart and to represent their country." <-- This one is my all time favorite - - I wish more players cared about "team" or "country" rather than self.

Old
05-19-2005, 07:45 PM
chooch*

"Guy Guy Guy"

and

"Gretz-ky sucks, Gretz-ky sucks"

Old
05-19-2005, 11:31 PM
svetovy poharu

"The 3 most important elements of hockey are: forecheck, backcheck and paycheck." - Sabres' Gilbert Perreault.

"I know my players don't like my practises, but thats OK because I don't like their games." - former Canucks coach Harry Neale.

"Some days, the sun even shines on a dog's butt." - Senators' Wade Redden.

"They were checking us so closely, I could tell what brand of deodorant they were using." - Flyers' Gary Dornhoefer.

"They say you're not a coach in the league till you've been fired. I must be getting pretty good." - ex-NY Islanders coach Terry Simpson.

Old
05-20-2005, 01:53 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chooch
"Guy Guy Guy"

and

"Gretz-ky sucks, Gretz-ky sucks"
LOL.

You are a child. Or a racist. Or both.

Old
05-20-2005, 02:01 PM
Chili

Gotta have a Red Storey quote on this thread...

Legendary NHL (and CFL) referee Red Storey was once caught in a freak snowstorm on his way to officiate a game at Boston Garden. As a result the game was delayed for nearly an hour. When he finally arrived, Storey was met by angry cries from impatient fans. "What time are you gonna get going!?" one man asked. "If I could tell time," Red replied, "do you think I'd still be a referee!?"

Old
05-22-2005, 09:38 AM
SamiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Pagan
Ville Niemenen from the world championships:

"You have to wonder: man can walk on the moon, but they can't fix the ice here!"
This happened in the late 80s during a game, I think:

Esa Tikkanen was trying to explain something to his team mates who couldn´t understand a word. He was asked to explain it to Jari Kurri in finnish and Jari could translate it to the others. Tik talked finnish for a long while and then the others asked Jari what it was all about. Kurri answered: "How the hell would I know?"

P.S. Tikka means woodpecker in finnish...

Old
05-22-2005, 09:45 AM
Frightened Inmate #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo
LOL.

You are a child. Or a racist. Or both.
I don't agree with what he said about Gretzky (although his game did have some flaws), but to call him a racist is just stupid.

Old
05-22-2005, 10:41 AM
Habsfan 32

''Winning does solve everything.'' Joe Sakic

''He's skating like he's 36 again.'' Dallas Star Mike Keane, after 38-year-old teammate Guy Carbonneau had a great game.

''I played my age. Not bad.'' Hurricane Ron Francis, after playing 39 minutes in the third game of the Stanley Cup final in 2002.

''When no one else signs me.'' Chris Chelios, on when it will be time to retire.

''I'll never be accused of losing a step. I'm not sure I ever had one.'' 38 year old Larry Murphy.

''That's great. I'm 100 years old and people are still interested.'' Grant Fuhr, on hearing his name in trade rumors.

Old
05-26-2005, 04:28 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosby=Gretzky
I forgot that one! That's my favourite!
Here's two:
Peter Popovic: Everything can happen in the NHL. They can trade God himself. Just if they get something good in return.
Forsberg(when he got the question what he was thinking when Janne Ninimaa was behind him in a game against Edmonton in 1999): "I'm going to kill that ****ing finn in the corner"
Great thread!

Peter Popovic is one of the funniest guys I've ever seen. Peter plays in Stockholm right now but lives maybe 50 miles outside the capital. He was once interviewed in the car on a way to a game by a tv-crew. Popovic is driving the car and a minute into the interview he starts poking his nose without thinking about it. Obviously he is not thinking about what he is dooing and in the end of the interview he almost have his entire arm up in the nose...

In another I've saw with Popovic he started laughing and couldn't stop. Noting funny said was said. He just couldn't handle the "tv" thing.

"Thats not a nose, thats a banana"
-Bob Errey to Sergei Bautin.

Closed Thread