HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Pat Quinn: Your thoughts?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-16-2005, 01:06 PM
  #26
BuppY
Registered User
 
BuppY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,158
vCash: 500
Hey come on guys leave our Fatty Patty alone.

BuppY is offline  
Old
05-16-2005, 01:22 PM
  #27
Wetcoaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 54,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro
Roy was coming off the Conn Smythe and Brodeur had been in the finals the past two years. Meanwhile CuJo had limited success in the playoffs and his last international apearance was a disaster (choiking in the 96 world cup). The degree of cronyism exhibited by Gretz and Quinn on Team Canada rubbed me the wrong way.
According to reports it was Gretzky, Hitchcock and Martin who banded together to convince Quinn to play brodeur in place of Cujo.

Wetcoaster is offline  
Old
05-16-2005, 01:26 PM
  #28
Wetcoaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 54,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleduc
I think Cujo was the hotter of the two goalies going into the Olympics which affected the decision.

As for the Quinn story, I don't think it all got told: Ziegler also fined the Kings $130,000 for not informing the NHL of the Quinn signing.
And how exactly does that excuse Quinn's unethical and disgusting behaviour????

Of course Quinn has said he did not see what was really wrong with what he did.

BTW the fine to the Kings was reduced to $10,000.

Wetcoaster is offline  
Old
05-16-2005, 01:27 PM
  #29
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster
According to reports it was Gretzky, Hitchcock and Martin who banded together to convince Quinn to play brodeur in place of Cujo.
That goes against other oft-mentioned reports that Cujo resented Quinn for not playing him after the Sweden game.

mooseOAK* is offline  
Old
05-16-2005, 01:32 PM
  #30
Wetcoaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 54,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK
That goes against other oft-mentioned reports that Cujo resented Quinn for not playing him after the Sweden game.
As I understand it, Cujo believed that Quinn as head coach should have shown more confidence in him and should have gone to the wall on his behalf.

Wetcoaster is offline  
Old
05-16-2005, 02:22 PM
  #31
cleduc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro
Roy was coming off the Conn Smythe and Brodeur had been in the finals the past two years. Meanwhile CuJo had limited success in the playoffs and his last international apearance was a disaster (choiking in the 96 world cup). The degree of cronyism exhibited by Gretz and Quinn on Team Canada rubbed me the wrong way.
Roy had pulled out because they wouldn't guarantee him the starter's job. Neither Cujo nor Brodeur were playing super going into the Olympics but Cujo did have the hotter hand going into the Olympics on his recent NHL play leading up to them at the time.

Cujo's save % in '01 playoffs was .927, Brodeur's .897. Brodeur's GAA was only .003 better in those playoffs. Curtis simply was a little hotter which was why he got the start. Look at the Dec '01/Jan '02 game summaries, etc.

As head coach, it was Quinn's ultimate decision to remove Cujo. Everyone knew that at the time. It always has been the head coach's decision. Lot's of folks may have had opinions but it was Quinn who had the final say as it was his coaching ass and his team that were on the line.

No one came to Quinn's aide on his relationship with his goalie afterwards and said "It wasn't Pat. It was me who really made the decision." I've heard Hitch, Gretzky, Quinn, Cujo etc all interviewed. It was Pat's call and Pat did the dirty work to yank Cujo.

cleduc is offline  
Old
05-16-2005, 02:23 PM
  #32
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster
As I understand it, Cujo believed that Quinn as head coach should have shown more confidence in him and should have gone to the wall on his behalf.
According to Quinn his plan was to play Brodeur in the second game anyway and Cujo did nothing to change that.

mooseOAK* is offline  
Old
05-16-2005, 03:49 PM
  #33
CGG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: 416
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK
Ronning was 31 when he left the Canucks, I'll assume that the rest of your information is just as accurate.
Actually, he was 30. Didn't turn 31 for 3 more months. A QO would have kept him with Vancouver. I'll assume all of your claims are just as inaccurate. Besides, the free agent age used to be 32, it changed to 31 somewhere around 1996, don't know the exact year.

CGG is offline  
Old
05-16-2005, 04:18 PM
  #34
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck
Hey, Wettie and I share an opinion.

Quinn is a lying, whining, cheating sack of crap.

I hate the fact that he has been choosen to represent Canada in the past and even moreso because the talented team and assistant coaches he was given allowed him to recieve credit for their success.
..wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that he outcoahced Jaques Martin on a regualr basis would it ??

John Flyers Fan is offline  
Old
05-16-2005, 06:06 PM
  #35
tml_4ever
It's Chaotic
 
tml_4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,923
vCash: 500
He was a good coach in Vancouver

tml_4ever is offline  
Old
05-16-2005, 06:15 PM
  #36
cleduc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster
And how exactly does that excuse Quinn's unethical and disgusting behaviour????
...
BTW the fine to the Kings was reduced to $10,000.
Normally, that is tampering on the Canucks part and they essentially got fined for it. But as the "reward" was a fine instead of compensation for the Kings, clearly the Kings were also up to no good with some of their conduct in this. You failed to mention that.

Quinn was in a conflict of interest. He was however, hired in a different capacity like many of us are when we change jobs. He didn't advise anyone until consideration was given = the deal was closed under contract law. If Quinn thought something was really wrong with what they had done, then Quinn could have not bothered to arrange the meeting with Vachon to tell him and declined any LA offers until the end of the season. If the media smelled it, then Quinn & the Canucks could just tear up the deal and wait until the end of the season.

It was a wrong thing to do. No question. A stupid thing to do. No question. But I do not think it was as sinister as it is being made out in your post.

cleduc is offline  
Old
05-16-2005, 06:25 PM
  #37
Wetcoaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 54,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleduc
Normally, that is tampering on the Canucks part and they essentially got fined for it. But as the "reward" was a fine instead of compensation for the Kings, clearly the Kings were also up to no good with some of their conduct in this. You failed to mention that.

Quinn was in a conflict of interest. He was however, hired in a different capacity like many of us are when we change jobs. He didn't advise anyone until consideration was given = the deal was closed under contract law. If Quinn thought something was really wrong with what they had done, then Quinn could have not bothered to arrange the meeting with Vachon to tell him and declined any LA offers until the end of the season. If the media smelled it, then Quinn & the Canucks could just tear up the deal and wait until the end of the season.

It was a wrong thing to do. No question. A stupid thing to do. No question. But I do not think it was as sinister as it is being made out in your post.
Then we disagree.

Wetcoaster is offline  
Old
05-16-2005, 06:43 PM
  #38
SENSible1*
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
..wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that he outcoahced Jaques Martin on a regualr basis would it ??

Nice try but I hated Quinn and with good reason for years before he was in TO or Jacques was in Ottawa.

SENSible1* is offline  
Old
05-16-2005, 11:16 PM
  #39
The Legend
Stamkos in 2016
 
The Legend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,872
vCash: 500
A bunch of you for the past 5 years have said the Leafs were gonna go into the sh*tter, and every year they finish high in the conference. Some of it has to be Pat Quinn. A true players coach.

The Legend is offline  
Old
05-16-2005, 11:34 PM
  #40
mr gib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tml_4ever
He was a good coach in Vancouver
many will say he rescued the franchise - despite his - self interests

mr gib is offline  
Old
05-17-2005, 01:32 AM
  #41
Leaf Lander
Registered User
 
Leaf Lander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: BWO Headquarters
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,737
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Pat quin is under appreciated

especialy by this crowd

Leaf Lander is offline  
Old
05-17-2005, 11:10 AM
  #42
syc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Not Europe
Posts: 1,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck
Hey, Wettie and I share an opinion.

Quinn is a lying, whining, cheating sack of crap.

I hate the fact that he has been choosen to represent Canada in the past and even moreso because the talented team and assistant coaches he was given allowed him to recieve credit for their success.
Oh your just upset because he owns your team every year.

syc is offline  
Old
05-17-2005, 11:23 AM
  #43
Biggest Canuck Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: West Kelowna, BC
Posts: 10,448
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quinn is a great coach who can't seem to get his NHL team's over the top. He also get's them close.. yet he can't get the right pieces to finish the job.

Great coach and average GM who is not objective enough of his own talent when it is truly needed.

Biggest Canuck Fan is offline  
Old
05-17-2005, 11:31 AM
  #44
arrbez
bad chi
 
arrbez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,611
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan
Quinn is a great coach who can't seem to get his NHL team's over the top. He also get's them close.. yet he can't get the right pieces to finish the job.

Great coach and average GM who is not objective enough of his own talent when it is truly needed.
yup, sounds about right

arrbez is offline  
Old
05-17-2005, 11:52 AM
  #45
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan
Quinn is a great coach who can't seem to get his NHL team's over the top. He also get's them close.. yet he can't get the right pieces to finish the job.

Great coach and average GM who is not objective enough of his own talent when it is truly needed.
Objectivity isn't a luxury that any coach or GM can have. None of them can just swap players at will to create the perfect hockey team, they need to work with what they have and make some changes to fit his system.

mooseOAK* is offline  
Old
05-17-2005, 01:20 PM
  #46
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro
If we drag his playing days into this, he made a notorious hit on Bobby Orr that damn near got him tarred and feathered in Boston.
It was a legal check against Bobby who was looking down at the puck. The fans called the penalty.

ULF_55 is offline  
Old
05-17-2005, 01:24 PM
  #47
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro
The degree of cronyism exhibited by Gretz and Quinn on Team Canada rubbed me the wrong way.
Was it any different this year with Morrison and Jovo being selected?

ULF_55 is offline  
Old
05-17-2005, 01:26 PM
  #48
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK
That goes against other oft-mentioned reports that Cujo resented Quinn for not playing him after the Sweden game.
Don't start using logic when the entire thread is about heaping poop whenever and wherever the mood takes you.

ULF_55 is offline  
Old
05-17-2005, 01:29 PM
  #49
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan
Quinn is a great coach who can't seem to get his NHL team's over the top. He also get's them close.. yet he can't get the right pieces to finish the job.

Great coach and average GM who is not objective enough of his own talent when it is truly needed.
He seems to fear assistant coaches who could be head coaches.

Rick Ley shouldn't be called head anything...

ULF_55 is offline  
Old
05-17-2005, 01:33 PM
  #50
arrbez
bad chi
 
arrbez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,611
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
Don't start using logic when the entire thread is about heaping poop whenever and wherever the mood takes you.
well played sir

arrbez is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.