HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

future jersey's retired

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2005, 01:17 AM
Clash*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Albino
There are very few people I see getting their numbers retired, but here are a couple:

#68 Jaromir Jagr, Pittsburgh: I can see the Penguins retiring his number, despite the recent history.

#30 Martin Brodeur, New Jersey: Almost a lock, as long as he doesn't fall off the face of the Earth.

#4 Scott Stevens, New Jersey: A lock, IMO.

#11 Mark Messier, Edmonton and New York: Definitely a lock.

#19 Steve Yzerman, Detroit: Another lock.

#19 Joe Sakic, Colorado: Another lock.

That's about it. I can possibly see guys like Linden and Lidstrom, but it's really at the discrepency of the teams involved. Montreal has greats such as Dryden and Robinson without retired numbers, so different teams have different standards. Sundin has a good shot, but doesn't TO just honor numbers?

For the future, I can see Kovalchuk being Atlanta's first retired number if he lives up to his potential and stays with the Thrashers. No other youngster in the league seems to fit the bill though.
I have to agree with this list, with the additions of Hull in St. Louis, Linden in Vancouver, and Hasek in Buffalo, and the exclusion of Jagr for bein a greedy idiot. Not so much for what they did on the ice, but what they represented off of it and in the media. Linden might lose out due to bein president of the NHLPA durin the lockout and Hull for leavin town. But Hasek was the Sabres for a few years there and represented just about every chance they had to compete.

As for Scott Mellanby in Florida. I'll guarentee his number 27 never gets retired in Florida. John Vanbiesbrouck and Brian Skrudland never had their respective numbers retired, and they meant more for the early Panther teams than Mellanby did his entire career in Florida. and the Panthers haven't retired a single number yet, but rather stick the name in a circle as part of the "Den of Honor" or whatever crap they call it. The only name possibly capable of havin his number retired in Florida would be Paul Laus as the only member of the inaugrual Panthers that finished his career years later not havin left the team once. There isn't even a current Panther that has a chance of livin up to Paul, unless the Cats win a string of Cups, and then its only Luongo that has a chance.

Old
05-15-2005, 01:17 AM
tomerez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg
Peter Stastny didn't impact the Nords?
If that was directed at me, then yes he did impact the Nordiques. I have never seen him play but am well aware of his career. In most cases I don't think Stastny would be deserving of a number retiring but considering the Nordiques are no longer in existence and now are the Avs, they should have a couple of retired numbers in honour of their history considering that is all that is left of them.

Old
05-15-2005, 01:24 AM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
In most cases I don't think Stastny would be deserving of a number retiring
MOST cases?

-2nd to Gretzky in scoring during the 80's
-1000+ points in a decade
-Calder Trophy. First 100+ point rookie year in history.
-6 consecutive 100+ seasons.
-Was Nords/Avs career points leader
-Was first Nord/Av with 1000+ points
-HHOFer

What else did he need to do? Beat Jesus in a thumb wrestling match?

Old
05-15-2005, 01:32 AM
tomerez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg
MOST cases?

-2nd to Gretzky in scoring during the 80's
-1000+ points in a decade
-Calder Trophy. First 100+ point rookie year in history.
-6 consecutive 100+ seasons.
-Was Nords/Avs career points leader
-Was first Nord/Av with 1000+ points
-HHOFer

What else did he need to do? Beat Jesus in a thumb wrestling match?
Check.Mate.

I shall bite my tongue and stop speaking out of ignorance.

Old
05-15-2005, 01:43 AM
hfboardsuser

*cough* Well, you didn't really deserve that... sorry. I'm just protective of my guy.

Old
05-15-2005, 01:50 AM
BwayBshirt

actually, i see jesus as more of a "rock, paper, scissors" kind of guy...

Old
05-15-2005, 01:57 AM
hfboardsuser

The key to beating him is to use "wood".

Old
05-15-2005, 01:59 AM
futurcorerock

Send a message via AIM to futurcorerock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsberg4ever
Eventually Montreal should retire #19, 29 and 33. In a couple of decades maybe #87?
They'll retire 87, just like the other teams did out of respect of the Philadelphia Flyers' greatest player.

Old
05-15-2005, 11:32 AM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Well, this thread seems to have split into two discussions. One is the original topic (if everyone retired today) and the other is which jerseys might be retired down the road.

Answering for today, I would throw my support behind retiring #25 for the Lightning. Andreychuk did more for this team than anyone outside the area may realize (being a southern, small market and much hated team for our lack of snow , many folks just don't pay attention to us). Not all of his contributions were on the ice. He straightened out a disastrous locker room, taught our young'uns how to be professionals. He was instrumental in convincing the players to accept the "system" we used to win the Stanley Cup. His intervention was critical in the Tortorella v. Lecavalier battle, and he's a buffer for players when they are victims of Torts' wrath. His longevity, devotion to the game and being the leading PP goal scorer in the history of the game aren't too shabby, either. So, yes, I'd support it & I wouldn't be at all surprised if it happens one of these days.

No one else -- all our players are too young to have accomplished enough to warrant it!

Old
05-15-2005, 01:29 PM
DevilsFan38

As of right now, no one from the Devils would have their number retired. We haven't retired any numbers yet, and before either Stevens or Brodeur got their number retired they'd have to raise Daneyko's jersey to the rafters first. Last I heard, Lamoriello was against retiring numbers and I can't see that changing in the near future.

Old
05-15-2005, 01:34 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire

In the future, hopefully we'll see #23 and 24.
As long as it's not Craig Johnson and Adam Mair....

Old
05-15-2005, 03:04 PM
salty justice

Chicago should have retired Magnuson's #4 and Pilote's #3 but at this point I think its too little too late. If they dont "deserve" to get their numbers retired, Im pretty sure a guy like Chelios, who is extremely hated by Hawks fans, will never see his number retired.

I dont expect anyone anytime soon for the Hawks to get their number retired. Unless Ruutu plays his entire career as a Hawk and tears up the league as expected we'll see #15 hung in maybe 20 years.

Old
05-15-2005, 06:32 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

If the whole NHL retired en masse today, there are no Sharks that I could see having their numbers retired.

As for the hometown Canucks, Linden is a lock, but that's it. Naslund is great now, but he's only had like 5 good seasons in a Canucks uniform (99 to the present). The fact that those 5 seasons represent less than half of his NHL career, and that it's a career that didn't start with Vancouver, there won't be a retiring for #19.

So, what about in the future?

Well, if San Jose keeps on track for another few years, I would say that Nabokov has a chance. Call me a homer for making so bold a statement, but now that Vokoun has been exposed to the world in the World Championships, Nabby takes over the "most underappreciated goalie" mantle. He's not just a goalie capable of stealing a goal away from other teams, he's a goalie who can commit grand ****ing larceny on a regular basis. Marleau also has an outside shot if he can harness his talents into a string of top 10 scoring finishes.

For the future in Vancouver, Linden is still assured. Even if he becomes a complete liability out on the ice, the fact that he is the face of the Canucks, and remained so even when playing in an Islanders or Canadiens uniform, speaks to how much Trevor means to the Vancouver organization, and to the Vancouver hockey community. He may have lost brownie points for being the NHLPA president, but all that means is that despite the apparent reversal of titles, he's Goodenow's little hand puppet. Naslund has a shot if he stays for another, say, 4-5 years (which looks doubtful). Bertuzzi lost whatever shot he had when he clubbed Steve Moore. I'm not getting into a Moore debate, but there's no way they could honour Bert without one hell of a media firestorm from the world outside of Canuckland.

And it's been a few years since he retired, but why the heck hasn't Vancouver done something for Kirk McLean? He may not have been a super elite goaltender, but he carried the Canucks for a few years, and in the 94 playoffs, he was practically Jesus in a Vancouver uniform. Maybe you can't retire his jersey, but they really need to do something.

Old
05-15-2005, 07:00 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

If Robinson doesn't get his number retired, I don't see anyone from the current Habs organization ever having their numbers retired barring something crazy happening, like Koivu and Theodore suddenly leading us to a cup or 2.

Old
05-15-2005, 07:09 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
I don't want to speak for Devils fans as one of their sworn rivals, but #3 will go up for Ken Daneyko

For the Flyers, I don't think anyone currently will get their number retired. They have to win a Cup to be even considered. If Mark Howe did get his number retired, John LeClair nor Mark Recchi or Eric Desjardins will either.

For the Kings, Luc Robitalle without a doubt they might do it at his last home game. I'm not so sure that Rob Blake will after the way he left the organization, but I wouldn't bet against Mattias Norstrom.

Last edited by GKJ: 05-15-2005 at 07:17 PM.
Old
05-15-2005, 07:34 PM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
I agree about Daneyko I think he should get his number retired by the Devils.

Old
05-15-2005, 08:04 PM
KOVALEV10*

Some of the posts in this thread are ridiculous. Thornton to have his number retired? Nabokov? We're talking about numbers being retired. It's like the second best honour a player is given after the hall of fame. What exactly has Thornton done to be in company with Bobby Orr and Phil Esposito or the couple other guys' whos numbers are retired?

Old
05-15-2005, 08:58 PM
Phanuthier*

Flames... no locks. MacInnis, Vernon and Nieuwendyk are possibilities, but are they players you'd recognize with the Flames or StL/Detriot/Dallas? Iginla is a possibility if he stays and keeps it out. Fleury... no chance. Not after his gong-show antics.

Old
05-15-2005, 09:19 PM
Bruinster*

Send a message via ICQ to Bruinster*
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOVALEV10
Some of the posts in this thread are ridiculous. Thornton to have his number retired? Nabokov? We're talking about numbers being retired. It's like the second best honour a player is given after the hall of fame. What exactly has Thornton done to be in company with Bobby Orr and Phil Esposito or the couple other guys' whos numbers are retired?
What exactly has Koivu done to be in company with The Rocket Richard and Guy Lafleur ? I can say Thornton chance are equal or better than Koivu if you consired his number at his age vs Koivu at 31 are better ! And everyone know Thornton best years will be in years to come. Koivu ???

Old
05-15-2005, 09:23 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029
Well, this thread seems to have split into two discussions. One is the original topic (if everyone retired today) and the other is which jerseys might be retired down the road.

Answering for today, I would throw my support behind retiring #25 for the Lightning. Andreychuk did more for this team than anyone outside the area may realize (being a southern, small market and much hated team for our lack of snow , many folks just don't pay attention to us). Not all of his contributions were on the ice. He straightened out a disastrous locker room, taught our young'uns how to be professionals. He was instrumental in convincing the players to accept the "system" we used to win the Stanley Cup. His intervention was critical in the Tortorella v. Lecavalier battle, and he's a buffer for players when they are victims of Torts' wrath. His longevity, devotion to the game and being the leading PP goal scorer in the history of the game aren't too shabby, either. So, yes, I'd support it & I wouldn't be at all surprised if it happens one of these days.

No one else -- all our players are too young to have accomplished enough to warrant it!
Not trying to be anal or anything, but doing that would be like the Flames retiring Rhett Warraner's number, for the same reasons you stated.

As for now, I don't think there's any Tampa players that will get their numbers retired. Quite a few (Lecavlier, Richards, St Louis, Kubina) maybe be possibilities, but they still have alot to prove and have to stay with the organization for alot longer.

Old
05-15-2005, 09:26 PM
MontrealSF
Lars Eller.

Koivu would get his number retired because of what he is as a human being, a stat Joe Thornton will never be able to outscore.

And that's only after at least 5 others Habs get theirs up to the rafters.

Old
05-15-2005, 09:32 PM
Bruinster*

Send a message via ICQ to Bruinster*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Forest
Koivu would get his number retired because of what he is as a human being, a stat Joe Thornton will never be able to outscore.

And that's only after at least 5 others Habs get theirs up to the rafters.
With all my respect for him, since when a cancer make you a better human ?

Old
05-15-2005, 10:04 PM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatman Phanutier
Not trying to be anal or anything, but doing that would be like the Flames retiring Rhett Warraner's number, for the same reasons you stated.
That would be up to them, of course. I have to admit I was unaware that the Flames were as much of a mess as the Lightning were, huge locker room problems, conflicts with their star players & the coach, etc.

Quote:
As for now, I don't think there's any Tampa players that will get their numbers retired. Quite a few (Lecavlier, Richards, St Louis, Kubina) maybe be possibilities, but they still have alot to prove and have to stay with the organization for alot longer.
That's probably why I said:

Quote:

Old
05-15-2005, 10:17 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinster
With all my respect for him, since when a cancer make you a better human ?
When you overcome a cancer that has less than a 50% survival rate AND come back to play hockey in the same year AND lead your team into the second round of the playoffs by beating a heavily favoured 1st seed team.

Old
05-15-2005, 10:17 PM
Phanuthier*

True enough. That really wasn't ment as a rebuttal or anything.

The Flames did have their problems in the past 8 years. Dressing room cancers Theo Fleury, followed by Val Bure, then Marc Savard plagued this years for years. There was still lingers losing effects left, and little problems left, right and center. Personally, I attribute Darryl Sutter and Warraner for taking all the pieces and putting them together.

But thats besides the point. I think retiring a jersey is a very defining, special moment, kept for the very few elite. In Calgary, only 1 player has had his jersey retired in its 25 year history - Lanny MacDonald. Such greats like Sergei Makarov and Kent Nilsson and Joel Otto never had their jersey's retired. Thus, I think we're being a little overzealous in who we are retiring. Retiring a jersey is a very rare occation, and there's only a handful (moreso then usual due to the end of the baby boom) that will see their numbers retired... players like Yzerman, Stevens, Sakic and not players like Adam Foote, Shanahan let alone the Mellenby's and Ruchin's.

Closed Thread