HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Edler takes out Eric Staal with leg-on-leg; IIHF suspends Edler for 2 games

Old
05-18-2013, 07:07 PM
fredligh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Gilead View Post
Great! Because defending that Edler hit is just idiotic. You can be a homer, but enough is enough. Stop argueing when you know that you are making a clown of yourself
Good luck in the bronze game tomorrow

fredligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 08:39 PM
leftwinglockdown
Dude Guy

Getzlaf gets almost nothing the year before but Edler gets the book thrown at him. Clearly this is to appease the NHL contingent due to the fact that the NHL in Sochi is not a sure thing at this point.

The hit probably reminded the NHL of the fears of possible injury to their players when over at the Olympics and the IIHF wants to assuage that by dishing out extra harsh punishments.

leftwinglockdown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 01:42 AM
CloutierForVezina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank Shot View Post
It says something when the only ones defending the hit are Swedes and Canucks fans.
Who exactly is defending the hit?

I personally don't think it was malicious, but it was stupid and reckless. Edler should have made a better attempt to either fully commit to the body or get out of the way completely. Edler's laziness led to an awkward collision with a very unfortunate result for Staal. Edler deserves punishment for his awful lapse in judgement.

Despite all this, I hardly think Edler's lapse in judgement was so egregious that he deserves a 5-game suspension for it based on suspensions handed out for similar plays. This is literally saying that his hit was 5 times worse than Getzlaf's hit last year, which I find to be laughable.

CloutierForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 02:32 AM
Amused To Death

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloutierForVezina View Post

I personally don't think it was malicious, but it was stupid and reckless. Edler should have made a better attempt to either fully commit to the body or get out of the way completely. Edler's laziness led to an awkward collision with a very unfortunate result for Staal. Edler deserves punishment for his awful lapse in judgement.

Despite all this, I hardly think Edler's lapse in judgement was so egregious that he deserves a 5-game suspension for it based on suspensions handed out for similar plays. This is literally saying that his hit was 5 times worse than Getzlaf's hit last year, which I find to be laughable.
Edler isn't a vicious player. Reckless at times, and in this case, dangerously so, but he doesn't hit to injure. He goes for the body for big hits. 5 games is a bit much.

Go Sweden.

Amused To Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 04:31 AM
Chimp

A "fun" part is, in the US - Switzerland game yesterday, I saw 2 similar collisions between players on the very same shift. Not even 2 minutes. The difference? Their legs weren't in vulnerable positions enough that it would result in an injury and eject the hitter for the rest of the tournament and then some.

This collision is blown way out of proportion. It's just because Staal got injured it's such a focus on it. And no, I don't believe in a Canadian conspiracy either, I just believe they're incompetent and corrupt.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 05:10 AM
fredligh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloutierForVezina View Post

This ^

fredligh is offline   Reply With Quote