Claude Julien: The Sequel

Old
05-30-2013, 09:51 AM
EvilElf63

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
That's way too complicated for Felger.
We have slow D-men. They're great D-men, but slow skaters. That shouldn't be too complicated for anyone, Felger included. bp13's points A and B are the direct result of the system that has to accommodate slower defensemen.

I agree 100% with your overall sentiment bp13, nice post.

EvilElf63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 09:58 AM
Fopppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
Bylsma doesn't play the match game very much, so I would expect we can get the matchups we want with the requisite scrambling after each faceoff.

My chief concern at this point is the PK. We have to fix that or we're dead. If we do, I think this is a very winnable series.
I think Bylsma might be in trouble if he just rolls Sid and Malkin out there without regards to what Claude tries to get on the ice against them. Julien thrives on matchups and that would play into the B's hands nicely. Then again, does Bylsma want to alter his plan at this point? Hopefully he'll be forced to after a couple of games, but then again the series will be back in Boston so he'll have a harder time doing it.

And yeah, the PK has to get it's collective ***** together, absolutely. If our PP can continue producing at some reasonable clip, that's a good start as well. Much will come down to our PK vs. their PP, Bergeron vs. Sid, Chara vs. Malkin and then our depth guys vs. their depth guys. Four key matchups that will decide the series.

Fopppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 06:04 PM
bruins repeat time

Well for you boys that think Tyler doesn't like Claude it didn't sound that way from his comments today and he sure seemed sincere

bruins repeat time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 06:41 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruins repeat time View Post
Well for you boys that think Tyler doesn't like Claude it didn't sound that way from his comments today and he sure seemed sincere
Link?

I don't know what he said today, but he's always credited Julien as being a great coach and teaching him a lot.

Artemis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 08:10 PM
Bone for your jar

Quote:
Half the time I assume Felger says this stuff to stoke the fires and can't really think it.

I defy anyone to argue with the success of this coach, but an even harder case to make is that the defensive personnel in his tenure is one that should have been encouraged to skate the puck.

It baffles me really. I mean how can you watch this team for the last 5+ years and see how they break the puck out from D to D and not obviously see the following:

a) This strategy has brought them tremendous success against the entire league (excepting at times teams who forecheck deep and effectively, like Montreal and Carolina

b) This strategy has allowed them to become one of the top 3 puck possession teams in the entire NHL (measured by CORSI, and think along the lines of Detroit-level success) despite the fact they have about half the skill of that Red Wing roster (this fact doesn't get enough play in our supposedly savvy media). So they keep the puck as well as some of the most talented and structured teams in the NHL.

c) This defense has probably been in the bottom 5 of the NHL in terms of mobility since CJ took over. Chara, McQuaid, Boychuk, Seidenberg. All of these guys are minutes eaters and none of them rank above slightly below average in terms of NHL d-men, and a few of them have to be at the very bottom. They are slow, period.

The fact any fan could suggest that it's the coach who's behind their perceived lack of mobility is laughable to me. Or that somehow CJ preaches an inability to skate with the puck. Moreover, the fact he doesn't get credit for crafting one of the best puck possession teams out of a bunch of telephone poles with only reasonable hands and skill is criminal.
Your complete neglect of Seidenberg's kick-passing skills invalidates your entire analysis.

Bone for your jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 08:20 PM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruins repeat time View Post
Does he talk to you when you close your eyes or do you have a source?

A true fan who will always be remembered.
doubleminor138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 10:40 PM
Tuukka Time

IMO, this was easily one of his best coaching jobs. The in game adjustments were obviously huge, as we were playing the Pens game early and needed to change that before we got run out of there.

Tuukka Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 10:50 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuukka Time View Post
IMO, this was easily one of his best coaching jobs. The in game adjustments were obviously huge, as we were playing the Pens game early and needed to change that before we got run out of there.
The lineup moves tonight were correct.

Krug was dynamic the couple times he had the puck but sitting him and Bart and playing the Vets turned out to be the correct move.

Third line was better and fourth was its usual self and LKH turned it on for us to win the game.

But the coaching staff made the correct move for tonight. This was the best way to split up Seidenberg and Chara and still be strong.

Ference must keep bringing it to stay ahead of Bartowski.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 12:04 AM
Tuukka Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post
The lineup moves tonight were correct.

Krug was dynamic the couple times he had the puck but sitting him and Bart and playing the Vets turned out to be the correct move.
Huh? Krug didn't sit.

Old
06-02-2013, 07:18 AM
Yeti34

Chara needs to be off the first unit. Seids needs to never see pp time again.

Poor player management lead us to have a poor PP last night.

Wish he kept Bart in. Krug-Bart was dominant on the pp, and Ference was skating like he had a weight on one of his feet.

Yeti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 07:44 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti34 View Post

Wish he kept Bart in. Krug-Bart was dominant on the pp, and Ference was skating like he had a weight on one of his feet.
Loved Bart out there and not so sure we don`t see him again but you ask 29 other coaches who they would dress in this exact same scenario, and I`ll wager all 29 would say the vet with Cup winning experience every time

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 07:48 AM
Tuukka Time

Quote:

Given the lineup we had last night, what would you have them do if you had your wishes above? Think about it.

Chara off the first unit means you put him on the 2nd. That would KILL us after each PP because they were often rolling Crosby AND Malkin together for at least a bit after each killed PP. So we have either no Chara or a gassed Chara dealing with that? Nope.

Now you remove Seids and Ference apparently, given what you say above.

I assume you also don't want McQuaid out there.

That leaves Krug and Boychuck out there for a full 2 minute PP, or going with only one of them as a sole defender for the 1st unit and the other as the sole defender for the 2nd unit. Is that what you want (again, given last night's lineup so Bart isn't an option)?

Old
06-02-2013, 08:39 AM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Given the lineup we had last night, what would you have them do if you had your wishes above? Think about it.

Chara off the first unit means you put him on the 2nd. That would KILL us after each PP because they were often rolling Crosby AND Malkin together for at least a bit after each killed PP. So we have either no Chara or a gassed Chara dealing with that? Nope.

That leaves Krug and Boychuck out there for a full 2 minute PP, or going with only one of them as a sole defender for the 1st unit and the other as the sole defender for the 2nd unit. Is that what you want (again, given last night's lineup so Bart isn't an option)?
You don't put him on ANY unit. Rest him for 2 minutes. Throw him out there in the dying seconds of the PP to match up against Crosby/Malkin.

I'm guessing Claude wanted him out there for any short handed opportunities though. But at that point you're playing not to lose, aren't you?

At the very least if you're going to have Chara out there on the 1st unit, put Krug there too. As it is, Krug is only getting 30-40 seconds of PP time being on the 2nd unit and in the last 6 games he's been the Bruins most deadly asset on the PP. Get him out there. Hell... have him out there for the full 2 minutes.

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 08:44 AM
Yeti34

Quote:

Krug-Jagr/Ference/boychuck give these guys the majority of the time.

Chara-Boychuck/Seids/Ference - put them on to end the PK

Ideally it would be

Krug-Bart

Old
06-02-2013, 08:46 AM
Yeti34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
You don't put him on ANY unit. Rest him for 2 minutes. Throw him out there in the dying seconds of the PP to match up against Crosby/Malkin.

I'm guessing Claude wanted him out there for any short handed opportunities though. But at that point you're playing not to lose, aren't you?

At the very least if you're going to have Chara out there on the 1st unit, put Krug there too. As it is, Krug is only getting 30-40 seconds of PP time being on the 2nd unit and in the last 6 games he's been the Bruins most deadly asset on the PP. Get him out there. Hell... have him out there for the full 2 minutes.

Agreed with this.i think this will be the best we get from Claude.

Old
06-02-2013, 08:48 AM
stick9

Credit where credit is due. CJ made some nice adjustments last night. I noticed Seguin at center on the PP and he limited the 4th's line ice when the game was close.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 08:52 AM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Krug-Jagr/Ference/boychuck give these guys the majority of the time.

Chara-Boychuck/Seids/Ference - put them on to end the PK

Ideally it would be

Krug-Bart
What is the obsession with Bartkowski?

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 08:57 AM
Yeti34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie View Post
I don't have an obsession with him. I think this is the first time I mentioned him...

He brings more on the ice than Ference. Him and Krug looked great together on the pp.

Bart did play 20+ minutes a night. He played physical, and got a nice goal.

Old
06-02-2013, 09:19 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
Credit where credit is due. CJ made some nice adjustments last night. I noticed Seguin at center on the PP and he limited the 4th's line ice when the game was close.
and not one adjustment to speak of from the Pens coach

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 09:26 AM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Derp?

Clode is embracing the physicality and nastiness of playoff hockey; Bylsma does not and is going to try and curtail it.

Huge disadvantage for the Penguins on the coaching level.

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 09:30 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HortonHearsAWoo View Post
Clode is embracing the physicality and nastiness of playoff hockey; Bylsma does not and is going to try and curtail it.

Huge disadvantage for the Penguins on the coaching level.
I wouldn't say that. I think they are close, both have a cup and a Jack Adams to their name.

Last night, CJ had his team playing their game and Blysma let his guys get sucked into that. If they want to win, they have to do it playing their game. The Bruins simply cannot keep up with that offense.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 09:32 AM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Derp?

Quote:
I wouldn't say that. I think they are close, both have a cup and a Jack Adams to their name.

Last night, CJ had his team playing their game and Blysma let his guys get sucked into that. If they want to win, they have to do it playing their game. The Bruins simply cannot keep up with that offense.
What I was trying to say is the fact the Bylsma is going to spend time trying to pull his team back from nastiness is a disadvantage for them. The Bruins will step it up even more and impose their will on the Penguins the way they did to Vancouver.

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 09:40 AM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Quote:
Half the time I assume Felger says this stuff to stoke the fires and can't really think it.

I defy anyone to argue with the success of this coach, but an even harder case to make is that the defensive personnel in his tenure is one that should have been encouraged to skate the puck.

It baffles me really. I mean how can you watch this team for the last 5+ years and see how they break the puck out from D to D and not obviously see the following:

a) This strategy has brought them tremendous success against the entire league (excepting at times teams who forecheck deep and effectively, like Montreal and Carolina

b) This strategy has allowed them to become one of the top 3 puck possession teams in the entire NHL (measured by CORSI, and think along the lines of Detroit-level success) despite the fact they have about half the skill of that Red Wing roster (this fact doesn't get enough play in our supposedly savvy media). So they keep the puck as well as some of the most talented and structured teams in the NHL.

c) This defense has probably been in the bottom 5 of the NHL in terms of mobility since CJ took over. Chara, McQuaid, Boychuk, Seidenberg. All of these guys are minutes eaters and none of them rank above slightly below average in terms of NHL d-men, and a few of them have to be at the very bottom. They are slow, period.

The fact any fan could suggest that it's the coach who's behind their perceived lack of mobility is laughable to me. Or that somehow CJ preaches an inability to skate with the puck. Moreover, the fact he doesn't get credit for crafting one of the best puck possession teams out of a bunch of telephone poles with only reasonable hands and skill is criminal.
Could you please email this entire post to Felger...I am sick of hearing him prattle on about D-to-D passes, etc., and sounding like a damned fool while doing it.

11MilesPerJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 09:41 AM
qc

vCash: 2000
Quote:

Claude is a much, much better in-game coach than Bylsma. Bylsma is like that younger teacher you had in high school that was laid back and cool that everyone liked; but in reality wasn't that good of a teacher. Just wait til we come back home and get last change.

qc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 09:56 AM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie View Post
He's not Ference. Other than that, who knows.

Ference has the same fire power, more smarts, and more "battle". He's played more games so he's made more mistakes, but they all make mistakes. However, Bart is one of the hot-shot, shiny new toys sparkling in everyone's eyes, so...

Of course, there's the "Clode" factor, too. The coach is a fumbling, bumbling idiot who ruins young players and can't coach as competently as so many of the posters commenting here, so there's that.

Other than that...what?

ReggieMoto is offline   Reply With Quote