Notices

Claude Julien: The Sequel

Old
06-02-2013, 11:06 AM
Dennis Bonvie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti34 View Post
I don't have an obsession with him. I think this is the first time I mentioned him...

He brings more on the ice than Ference. Him and Krug looked great together on the pp.

Bart did play 20+ minutes a night. He played physical, and got a nice goal.
Did Krug & Bartkowski play on the PP together much?

Krug had 3 PP goals, Bartkowski had 0 PP points.

Dennis Bonvie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 11:50 AM
Yeti34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie View Post
Did Krug & Bartkowski play on the PP together much?

Krug had 3 PP goals, Bartkowski had 0 PP points.
Yes they did.

It was Chara-Hamilton

Bart-Krug

They moved the puck so well together. Bart could at least keep the puck in the Zone. Z and Seids are too slow to be able to move across the Blueline, and keep the play alive.

Chara-Hamilton didn't look bad together either.

At least I would like to see a Chara-Krug Pairing. Krug has 3 pp goals, and is on our 2nd unit getting out on the ice with 50 or less seconds to go. With Seids who should not be on the PP under any circumstance. That should be his opportunity to get some rest.

Yeti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 12:15 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMoto View Post
He's not Ference. Other than that, who knows.

Ference has the same fire power, more smarts, and more "battle". He's played more games so he's made more mistakes, but they all make mistakes. However, Bart is one of the hot-shot, shiny new toys sparkling in everyone's eyes, so...

Of course, there's the "Clode" factor, too. The coach is a fumbling, bumbling idiot who ruins young players and can't coach as competently as so many of the posters commenting here, so there's that.

Other than that...what?
Bart was missed on the PP last night, no doubt. I don't fault CJ for going w/ experience.

But man, what a let down to see the PP go back to 5 monkeys humping a hockey puck again.

If Ference starts to have hiccups, Bart is there, so.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 04:04 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
Bart was missed on the PP last night, no doubt. I don't fault CJ for going w/ experience.

But man, what a let down to see the PP go back to 5 monkeys humping a hockey puck again.

If Ference starts to have hiccups, Bart is there, so.
So the guy with zero PP points makes the difference on the power play?

Old
06-02-2013, 04:16 PM
Yeti34

Quote:
So the guy with zero PP points makes the difference on the power play?
You need lateral movement on the PP, and be able to move the puck quick.
Maybe 1 guy will suffice ala a Chara-Krug combo, but the Chara-Jagr Combo can't keep the puck in the zone.

Bart had that lateral movement + better overall defensive game than Krug.

Seids is useless out there as well. No lateral movement, not a great shot, not a great pass. Why not play Boychuck and his 3 goals out their over Seids?
Krug-Boychuck would look pretty good as well.

Why not try:

Krug-Chara
Boychuck-Seguin

Yeti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 09:08 AM
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!

I do second-guess Clode from time to time, and I'm usually wrong! No surprise, he coaches the Boston Bruins while I post on message boards!

I do disagree with his decision to play Ference over Bart the other night. Not because I have anything against Ference, or that I think he played poorly. Simply because the line-up had been playing well so don't mess with it. If Bart had a bad game, it's easy to sit him for AF. But now if Ference struggles, there's no way I see Clode sitting a healthy Ference for Bart, even if he's stinking the joint up. No way.

I also wish Chara and Seidenberg did not see any PP time at all.

Chara does have the bomb, and he's scored on the backdoor play a few times in recent years, but when the puck gets cleared, it's literally good for at least 30 - 45 seconds. He takes his sweet time skating back to retrieve it, then he comes to a complete stop behind the net, waits, then he brings it in front of the net, stops again, waits, waits, and waits some more until he finally passes it up to a forward....who's also standing still. By then the PK-ers are set, making entry into the zone as difficult as possible.

I just think Z and Seids will both play big minutes in this series and they're both way more effective on the PK than the PP. It's a great time to rest them, and then you've got them ready to go after the PP scores, or to be out there to kill any momentum the other team may have gained by killing the penalty.

Roll 4 Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 11:04 AM
MarchandNoseBest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti34 View Post
Yes they did.

It was Chara-Hamilton

Bart-Krug

They moved the puck so well together. Bart could at least keep the puck in the Zone. Z and Seids are too slow to be able to move across the Blueline, and keep the play alive.

Chara-Hamilton didn't look bad together either.

At least I would like to see a Chara-Krug Pairing. Krug has 3 pp goals, and is on our 2nd unit getting out on the ice with 50 or less seconds to go. With Seids who should not be on the PP under any circumstance. That should be his opportunity to get some rest.
No they didn't. Bartkowski has 12 seconds of power play ice time the entire post-season. It was Hamilton-Krug paired together on second unit w/Chara and 4 forwards on 1st unit (just like now).

MarchandNoseBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 05:34 PM
SPV
Zoinks!

I'm respecting Julien more and more as time goes on. I'd only like to see him change two things this series, put Seguin back with Patrice & Brad. And make the 2nd PP unit the 1st PP unit.

SPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 05:41 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPV View Post
I'm respecting Julien more and more as time goes on. I'd only like to see him change two things this series, put Seguin back with Patrice & Brad. And make the 2nd PP unit the 1st PP unit.
Funny how that seems to coincide with winning.

Old
06-03-2013, 06:01 PM
du5566*

Quote:
Indeed. I am not going to say I respect him more because I have always had a healthy respect for Clode. I just can't stand him sometimes.

What I will do is admit that I was wrong and that most of the criticism I directed his way was off base to say the least; especially about him being replaced.

du5566* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 06:35 PM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by du5566 View Post
Indeed. I am not going to say I respect him more because I have always had a healthy respect for Clode.
You have a funny way of showing your "healthy respect" by spelling his name the way you do. Makes you appear insincere.

ReggieMoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 06:36 PM
Rubber Biscuit
Noted Loui Apologist

Quote:
You have a funny way of showing your "healthy respect" by spelling his name the way you do. Makes you appear insincere.
I've been on du's case for the last couple of days, but I think you're off here. That's the way his name is pronounced. While it's not spelled that way, I know myself and some others spell it that way endearingly.

Rubber Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 06:41 PM
du5566*

Quote:
Fair enough.

I have a healthy respect for Claude Julien and my above post was sincere.

I didn't think he could get this team ready for playoff hockey given what we saw in the 2nd half of the regular season and I believed another early playoff exit was a given. Clearly I was wrong.

Old
06-03-2013, 06:42 PM
ReggieMoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Biscuit View Post
I've been on du's case for the last couple of days, but I think you're off here. That's the way his name is pronounced. While it's not spelled that way, I know myself and some others spell it that way endearingly.
We will not agree on this. Sorry. This isn't like "Segs" or "Bergy" or "Horty", or even Torts. He's not a player, he's the coach and it's Claude, not Clode. You don't see folks calling Bylsma "Bilesma" do you (that's how it's pronounced)? Or folks don't spell Roy "Roowah", or Guy "Gee", or Orr "Oar". I think "Clode" is meant to be demeaning. But I guess that's just me.

[Edit: Thanks, du]

Old
06-03-2013, 06:56 PM
Rubber Biscuit
Noted Loui Apologist

Quote:
We will not agree on this. Sorry. This isn't like "Segs" or "Bergy" or "Horty", or even Torts. He's not a player, he's the coach and it's Claude, not Clode. You don't see folks calling Bylsma "Bilesma" do you (that's how it's pronounced)? Or folks don't spell Roy "Roowah", or Guy "Gee", or Orr "Oar". I think "Clode" is meant to be demeaning. But I guess that's just me.

[Edit: Thanks, du]
Fair enough. We can agree to disagree.

Rubber Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 07:50 PM
ReggieMoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Biscuit View Post
Fair enough. We can agree to disagree.
All good. And this game is rocking!

Old
06-03-2013, 07:51 PM
SPV
Zoinks!

Quote:

true, I suppose

but I really have liked the way he's handled the media, and the injuries, etc this playoff run.

SPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 10:03 PM
EastCoastNiner

*Crickets*...................

As usual, Julien is doing a masterful job. Hopefully people will stop trying to nitpick at him for a little while, but that's wishful thinking.

EastCoastNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 10:05 PM
missingchicklet

We all know how bad this team can look at times. For the same cast of characters to look this good and disciplined has to be in good part due to the coaching. Claude is one of the best in the league.

missingchicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 10:08 PM
EastCoastNiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingchicklet View Post
We all know how bad this team can look at times. For the same cast of characters to look this good and disciplined has to be in good part due to the coaching. Claude is one of the best in the league.
Hopefully the team keeps playing like they have been this series. People will often say Julien is too stubborn, but so far his "stubbornness" to keep the Krejci, Lucic, and Horton line together despite their regular season struggles has paid off.

I don't think anyone can complain about him not playing Hamilton and moving Seguin down either.

Go Bruins!

EastCoastNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 10:14 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastNiner View Post
*Crickets*...................

As usual, Julien is doing a masterful job. Hopefully people will stop trying to nitpick at him for a little while, but that's wishful thinking.
Why did he have the 4th line on with less than a minute to go in the first period with a 3 goal lead?

Old
06-03-2013, 10:22 PM
disfigured

Send a message via ICQ to disfigured Send a message via AIM to disfigured Send a message via MSN to disfigured Send a message via Yahoo to disfigured
Can't eat enough crow when it comes to C.J

I think one of the things his former critics (me included) or even some of his supporters (ardent fans will always claim they knew better ), is his long term vision.

The decisions he makes, whether it be where to play someone, who to sit, how long to wait to call a young gun up, must have some long term goal in mind with also trying to win the current game at hand. It seems he's looking into the future of how the team will perform if his requirements and demands are met. And he won't waiver from them. Which makes him look stubborn, but its obvious now that it was all for a reason.

I still think it's at the price of some offensive talent being developed more quickly. Which is probably the only way of achieving such great structure. But what player wouldn't sacrifice a few sexy stats to have a SC ring (or two?)?

disfigured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 10:28 PM
croutonsinmysalad

I think claude julien is a good coach; albeit, I don't watch a lot of the bruins, but it seems that he is able to get the most out of his team. He also seems to employ a good system too. I'm jealous at how it's so easy for the bruins to get out of their own zone.

croutonsinmysalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 10:32 PM
du5566*

Quote:
Originally Posted by croutonsinmysalad View Post
I think claude julien is a good coach; albeit, I don't watch a lot of the bruins, but it seems that he is able to get the most out of his team. He also seems to employ a good system too. I'm jealous at how it's so easy for the bruins to get out of their own zone.
I think this is a serious post but it could also be sarcastic because the three things you pointed out are the 3 main issues some Bruins fans, myself included, had with Claude all year long. So I am a little confused. Haha, but I also like croutons.

Old
06-03-2013, 10:42 PM
croutonsinmysalad

Quote:
Originally Posted by du5566 View Post
I think this is a serious post but it could also be sarcastic because the three things you pointed out are the 3 main issues some Bruins fans, myself included, had with Claude all year long. So I am a little confused. Haha, but I also like croutons.
LOL No, it's a serious post, but like I said I don't watch a lot of the Bruins.

croutonsinmysalad is offline   Reply With Quote