HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Claude Julien: The Sequel

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-18-2013, 03:02 PM
  #501
ThomasJ13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,245
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastNiner View Post
I think the problem people are having with some of your posts is that EVERY single coach has had "what ifs". I completely agree with you that the Bruins were on the brink of elimination during the first round in 2011 and this season, but they got it done. I think you're putting way too much stock into how pretty they got it done, and how close the games were. It doesn't really matter how the coach and team get it done as long as they do.

In today's NHL, you're going to be hard pressed to find many teams that will just steamroll their way through the playoffs with no close encounters. It just seems like you keep pointing out a lot of close encounters with elimination that this team has had under Julien, yet a lot of those close encounters have ended up with the Bruins advancing.

There are no 70's Habs, 80's Islanders, and 80's Oilers in today's NHL, so I don't see the need to nitpick at how Julien has gotten it done.

At the end of the day, I understand that your stance is that if the Bruins lost to the Canadiens in 2011, he might not be here, and if the Bruins lost to the Maple Leafs this year (assuming he would be here), he might have been fired. However, the Bruins won those series under him, and there's nothing that can take those accomplishments away from him, no matter how "close" those two series were.
Not only that, but if you're going to re-write history to take some timely wins away, why not re-write it to take some timely losses away? We'll give the Habs a goal in game 7 OT in 2011, but let's have Bergeron score in game 7 OT in 2009 and put the Bruins in at least the ECF. Let the Leafs hang on to win in 2013, but have Mike Richards miss Krejci on that hit in 2010 and put the Bruins in at least the ECF. Or let's have goalie interference called on Washington in 2012, and then Benoit Pouliot go on to score the series winner to put the Bruins into at least the second round.

Would he be fired with at least 2 ECF appearances, maybe a finals appearance or even a cup under this alternate universe? I doubt it. It's only if you keep all the bad breaks of 2009, 2010 and 2012 in place, and then reverse the Habs and Leafs good breaks from 2011 and 2013 (such that each year from 2009 to 2013 ends in underachieving) that we'd all be questioning his body of work. But that's not really a fair way to look at it, IMO.

ThomasJ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 03:03 PM
  #502
Stone Clode
Kicks him, stunner!!
 
Stone Clode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Swansea, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
I disagree with so much here,I don't know where to begin.
Shocking


You've disagreed with just about everything everybody has said in this thread.

Stone Clode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 03:04 PM
  #503
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Johnny Bran Muffins
 
Mike Yeos Eyebrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fall River
Country: United States
Posts: 17,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadChara33 View Post
Shocking


You've disagreed with just about everything everybody has said in this thread.

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 03:06 PM
  #504
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 14,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadChara33 View Post
Shocking


You've disagreed with just about everything everybody has said in this thread.
Have you ever played baseball?

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 03:10 PM
  #505
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Johnny Bran Muffins
 
Mike Yeos Eyebrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fall River
Country: United States
Posts: 17,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
Have you ever played baseball?
Bro do you even lift?

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 03:24 PM
  #506
Stone Clode
Kicks him, stunner!!
 
Stone Clode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Swansea, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
Have you ever played baseball?
I played from the age of 5 until 16 on the junior varsity team in high school. Baseball has largely to do with great hand-eye coordination and timing. There is a reason they play 162 games as opposed to 82. It takes significantly less effort and physical conditioning to play a game of baseball. I'm curious where your argument is coming from? Or why you pose that question?

Stone Clode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 03:27 PM
  #507
LSCII
Dark Cloud
 
LSCII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Central MA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,759
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HortonHearsAWoo View Post
Bro do you even lift?
This is easily my favorite post in this thread...

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 03:31 PM
  #508
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 14,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadChara33 View Post
I played from the age of 5 until 16 on the junior varsity team in high school. Baseball has largely to do with great hand-eye coordination and timing. There is a reason they play 162 games as opposed to 82. It takes significantly less effort and physical conditioning to play a game of baseball. I'm curious where your argument is coming from? Or why you pose that question?
Mostly it's the same people playing sports,hockey.Lacrosse,soccer,whatever. I can play hockey with a dislocated shoulder or a broken finger but I can't swing a bat or catch a rising liner,or throw out a runner or throw a curveball. The slightest hitch in a pitcher's delivery hampers his ability to throw with velocity or accuracy. So my first disagreement is with mental makeup of a hockey player versus a baseball player. In the US it's the same people. An injury can make you completely unable to play BB but still allow you to play hockey.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 03:38 PM
  #509
LSCII
Dark Cloud
 
LSCII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Central MA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,759
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
Mostly it's the same people playing sports,hockey.Lacrosse,soccer,whatever. I can play hockey with a dislocated shoulder or a broken finger but I can't swing a bat or catch a rising liner,or throw out a runner or throw a curveball. The slightest hitch in a pitcher's delivery hampers his ability to throw with velocity or accuracy. So my first disagreement is with mental makeup of a hockey player versus a baseball player. In the US it's the same people. An injury can make you completely unable to play BB but still allow you to play hockey.
I must be lost because I have zero clue as to how the F this applies to the actual topic of this thread?

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 03:40 PM
  #510
Scotto74
Moderator
Back in Blue!
 
Scotto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Kingston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HortonHearsAWoo View Post
Bro do you even lift?
I pick things up and put them down.

__________________
Love the city, hate the Hab™


BOSTON STRONG!!!
Scotto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 05:41 PM
  #511
Stone Clode
Kicks him, stunner!!
 
Stone Clode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Swansea, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
Mostly it's the same people playing sports,hockey.Lacrosse,soccer,whatever. I can play hockey with a dislocated shoulder or a broken finger but I can't swing a bat or catch a rising liner,or throw out a runner or throw a curveball. The slightest hitch in a pitcher's delivery hampers his ability to throw with velocity or accuracy. So my first disagreement is with mental makeup of a hockey player versus a baseball player. In the US it's the same people. An injury can make you completely unable to play BB but still allow you to play hockey.

That's all well and good...but really has no application whatsoever.

We aren't talking about me or you. That wasn't the topic of conversation nor was it ever in my original post. I was referring only to those who are the BEST at what they do. And in comparing the two sports using the BEST POSSIBLE EXAMPLE, a hockey player deals with a lot more potentially life threatening events and deals with way more physical adversity than a baseball player does.

The beginning of my post did refer to it, but you bring it up as if I used it to ultimately prove my point, which I really didn't. I think that's the only thing you actually disagreed with there (or read, not sure honestly) and just assumed my whole argument was about that. But I may be wrong. That's just how I view it.

Stone Clode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 05:54 PM
  #512
JRull86
Formerly Guiledoom
 
JRull86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Bing, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,722
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HortonHearsAWoo View Post
Bro do you even lift?
That's a clown question bro.

JRull86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 06:52 PM
  #513
jstaal
go canes go
 
jstaal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: mass
Country: United States
Posts: 967
vCash: 500
hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotto74 View Post
I pick things up and put them down.
I get a lift when i see great over time hockey

jstaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 07:50 PM
  #514
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 14,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadChara33 View Post
That's all well and good...but really has no application whatsoever.

We aren't talking about me or you. That wasn't the topic of conversation nor was it ever in my original post. I was referring only to those who are the BEST at what they do. And in comparing the two sports using the BEST POSSIBLE EXAMPLE, a hockey player deals with a lot more potentially life threatening events and deals with way more physical adversity than a baseball player does.

The beginning of my post did refer to it, but you bring it up as if I used it to ultimately prove my point, which I really didn't. I think that's the only thing you actually disagreed with there (or read, not sure honestly) and just assumed my whole argument was about that. But I may be wrong. That's just how I view it.
No,I figured I'd take one point at a time. Some sports you can play with certain injuries that you couldn't with others.
Payroll rank of last 4 Cup Winners-7th,7th,5th,13th. Current teams are 5th and 9th and next year they will be 3rd and 7th.


Last edited by BNHL: 06-18-2013 at 08:07 PM.
BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 09:29 PM
  #515
robert terwilliger
the bart, the
 
robert terwilliger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: sw florida
Country: United States
Posts: 20,256
vCash: 500
what does playing through injury have to do with claude julien.

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 09:45 PM
  #516
patty59
***************
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
what does playing through injury have to do with claude julien.
Or playing baseball through an injury even?

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 07:20 AM
  #517
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stratford, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,769
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
what does playing through injury have to do with claude julien.
Because all injuries involving Bruins' players and players playing against the Bruins are Julien's fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
Or playing baseball through an injury even?
Because all baseball injuries are Julien's fault.

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 07:44 AM
  #518
Kovi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 21,572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post


Because all baseball injuries are Julien's fault.

Kovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 10:46 AM
  #519
Stone Clode
Kicks him, stunner!!
 
Stone Clode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Swansea, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,035
vCash: 500
Haha I apologize if I veered this conversation off course.


Now back to your regularly scheduled programming:

Group A: "Fire Claude! Lucic stubbed his toe at Dunkin Donuts! Claude should have had somebody sent to get his coffee for him so he could stay comfortable in his bed. Clearly Claude's fault. I wouldn't re-sign a guy with his lack of attention to detail for the care of his players."

Group B: "Claude is a Greek god. He's about to win his second cup in 3 years. You can never fire him ever and everything wrong wasn't his fault and everything right was his doing. We will defend him to the ends of the earth. You cross our bridge, YOU DIE!"

Group C: "Hmm, I came here for an intelligent discussion...damn GPS led me in the wrong direction again! Why the hell did I actually pay for this thing?"





This is probably why I should just sit back and read, and refrain from posting...

Stone Clode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 10:57 AM
  #520
Scotto74
Moderator
Back in Blue!
 
Scotto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Kingston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
Because all injuries involving Bruins' players and players playing against the Bruins are Julien's fault



Because all baseball injuries are Julien's fault.
I blame the box plus one system he uses.

Scotto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 10:06 PM
  #521
SPQR 17
Registered User
 
SPQR 17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 324
vCash: 500
Losing this cup was on the coach this time. Why turtle with a minute and a half left? Gave them a power play.

SPQR 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 10:07 PM
  #522
bp13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 12,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPQR 17 View Post
Losing this cup was on the coach this time. Why turtle with a minute and a half left? Gave them a power play.
Go away

bp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 10:08 PM
  #523
Shaun
Registered User
 
Shaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Italy
Posts: 22,939
vCash: 500
Playing dog **** instead of Soderberg wasn't too smart

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 10:08 PM
  #524
westernhome
Registered User
 
westernhome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,225
vCash: 500
Claude is the best coach in the league (which isn't saying a whole lot), but honestly a lot of this loss this year is on him

still sick thinking about Daugavins getting penalties and playing brutal while Soderberg sat in the press box

Bruins should have won this series in 5... it did come down to some bounces, but it shouldn't have even come to that

westernhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 10:09 PM
  #525
finchster
Registered User
 
finchster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Moscow
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 8,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPQR 17 View Post
Losing this cup was on the coach this time. Why turtle with a minute and a half left? Gave them a power play.
Because Julien was on the ice and high sticked the guy?

finchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.