HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Thread About Nothing Part CXCI: Dick Trickle, flies, and even more microbrews

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2013, 11:26 AM
Henrique Iglesias
Doc & Chico Forever

vCash: 500
Assuming you have a droid

How would that even work?

Old
05-22-2013, 11:39 AM
CerebralGenesis

**** I almost posted that too but my tablet doesn't have any USBs so I didn't go that route

Old
05-22-2013, 11:53 AM
Scott04

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlingBard56 View Post
Wet teabags really do work on toothaches so long one is patient enough. Kind of surprised.
[No jokes ya'll, please and thank you. In too much pain for banter at the moment ]

Anyone have any other remedies?
Obviously encouraging the dentist route. If that's not an option, look into what you can find on google about using cloves (in some capacity) for it. I don't know the specifics of what methods are suggested though. I had a terrible toothache months back and was searching around and a lot of places suggested that. I didn't try them, but I went to the dentist and they put a temporary filling on my tooth (since there was a cavity there) that contained clove (or some form of clove) as one of its primary ingredients. Of course my problem wasn't so much the cavity in that tooth but was moreso a deeper nerve issue resulting from a really messed up wisdom tooth in the same portion of my mouth. But that filling did help a good amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
Don't like Star Trek. (Right? That's where the phaser thing?)

Anyways... Long story short, you should have talked to me before all that nonsense. Linksys WRT-54GL is the best home router you can buy. It doesn't have that N nonsense, which isn't a real standard, but you can run a custom router software called DD-WRT and Open-WRT which makes everything faster/better.

On the flip side, I hate virtually all D-link products and most Netgear ones. In case anyone ever needs that info for any reason.
Elaborate please.

Just checked and I have the WRT-54G router I think. Don't see the L listed in the model number when I log in to my router settings on my PC. Does what you're saying apply there too?

Old
05-22-2013, 11:56 AM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
Elaborate please.

Just checked and I have the WRT-54G router I think. Don't see the L listed in the model number when I log in to my router settings on my PC. Does what you're saying apply there too?
You can change out the firmware. I personally run DD-WRT. http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

The algorithms and software is different. You can run more complex and different services then the standard router software. Things like VPN connections, more advanced firewall settings, QoS settings, etc. in addition to less used at home stuff like etherchannel.

You can also do multiple SSIDs/encryption very easily, and some other small stuff like that. But mainly, it's just a better interface with more options if you're a geek.

As for model, you'll have to see if it's supported. There's been many, many revisions of the WRT-54G. I think like 8-10 total. Different versions can do different things.

Old
05-22-2013, 12:04 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
bush wants to give bailouts to big companies, republicans cheer and democrats whine. shortly thereafter obama wants to give bailouts and it's the exact opposite.

#reasonsilovemycountry

also this tech conversation is sailing over my head. i know how to pay my 3g bill and plug in ethernet cables to splitters. that's good enough for me.

Old
05-22-2013, 12:05 PM
Cowbell232

Enough with the politics...

Old
05-22-2013, 12:36 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
Devils defense.

vCash: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
Quote:
There's walls. And how do I plug in a cell phone or tablet?

Also, don't be an *******.
Quote:
To the internet buddy.
haha we're pissing him off now. And knowing him (and his future wife) having a bright orange power cord running anywhere in plain sight in their home would be akin to an elephant taking a dump on the coffee table.

Can't you just run a splitter or something?

Funniest moment of morning was Jaromir Jagr trying to get @KenDaneykoMSG to say, "Ruutu to Tootoo, 2-on-1" quickly.
Old
05-22-2013, 12:51 PM
BenedictGomez
1st 2say Fire DeBoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
And knowing him (and his future wife) having a bright orange power cord running anywhere in plain sight in their home would be akin to an elephant taking a dump on the coffee table.
I think I'd have his back on that one. I ran speaker wire under the rug, and did other clever magic illusion tricks in NYC to hide the surround sound wiring.

<---- Yes, it's 2013, and he still doesn't have wireless surround sound

Old
05-22-2013, 01:00 PM
Scott04

Quote:
You can change out the firmware. I personally run DD-WRT. http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

The algorithms and software is different. You can run more complex and different services then the standard router software. Things like VPN connections, more advanced firewall settings, QoS settings, etc. in addition to less used at home stuff like etherchannel.

You can also do multiple SSIDs/encryption very easily, and some other small stuff like that. But mainly, it's just a better interface with more options if you're a geek.

As for model, you'll have to see if it's supported. There's been many, many revisions of the WRT-54G. I think like 8-10 total. Different versions can do different things.
Even though I actually understand everything you mentioned/talked about there, is it something I need to do? I really don't tinker much with my wireless/router set up. Two computers use it with a wired connection. I'm really the only one using it wirelessly with my laptop, ps3, and cell phone (and my kindle fire too I guess, but that's more limited usage). I don't get overly fancy with connections to set up and all of that. I have my security on it, firewalls, etc, but nothing over the top. Is there any real benefit I'll see from such a switch to a custom firmware or am I best off just sticking with the status quo as long as I'm not having any issues as it currently stands?

Old
05-22-2013, 01:05 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
Devils defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
I think I'd have his back on that one. I ran speaker wire under the rug, and did other clever magic illusion tricks in NYC to hide the surround sound wiring.

<---- Yes, it's 2013, and he still doesn't have wireless surround sound
I have these for my Fluance Bi-Pole surrounds. Work flawlessly and setup is a breeze.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old
05-22-2013, 01:47 PM
BenedictGomez
1st 2say Fire DeBoer

Soldier beheaded' in 'Islamist terror attack' oustide barracks in Woolwich

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-Woolwich.html

Right outside London, freaking insane.

Old
05-22-2013, 02:14 PM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Even though I actually understand everything you mentioned/talked about there, is it something I need to do? I really don't tinker much with my wireless/router set up. Two computers use it with a wired connection. I'm really the only one using it wirelessly with my laptop, ps3, and cell phone (and my kindle fire too I guess, but that's more limited usage). I don't get overly fancy with connections to set up and all of that. I have my security on it, firewalls, etc, but nothing over the top. Is there any real benefit I'll see from such a switch to a custom firmware or am I best off just sticking with the status quo as long as I'm not having any issues as it currently stands?
If you don't have any problems, then nope. I did it for a very specific set of reasons.

Old
05-22-2013, 02:23 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
Devils defense.

Quote:
If you don't have any problems, then nope. I did it for a very specific set of reasons.

"I have a very specific set of skills..."

Old
05-22-2013, 02:27 PM
Henrique Iglesias
Doc & Chico Forever

Quote:

That was on FX last night, love that movie. Was 2 any good?

Old
05-22-2013, 02:31 PM
Cowbell232

Quote:

And said skills pay the bills.

(Futurama reference, just in case)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrique Iglesias View Post
That was on FX last night, love that movie. Was 2 any good?
Nope.

Old
05-22-2013, 02:57 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
Devils defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
You must hang out with tech nerds and high-level Dungeons & Dragons players.

Christian Erhoff is a gigantic German ginger whose play generally resembles that of a gin-soaked giraffe or geriatric gerbil.

Nerds abound... and abide.

Old
05-22-2013, 07:54 PM
battlingBard56

Quote:

Dentist?

There's oral analgesics too, but they don't last long and aren't that strong really.

http://www.99only.com/files/118162.gif
Thanks. I am going to see a dentist but in the meantime it's a waiting game.

Feeling a little better now but I can barely chew, so...yeah. Have to see a dentist.

Old
05-22-2013, 08:00 PM
battlingBard56

Quote:
Obviously encouraging the dentist route. If that's not an option, look into what you can find on google about using cloves (in some capacity) for it. I don't know the specifics of what methods are suggested though. I had a terrible toothache months back and was searching around and a lot of places suggested that. I didn't try them, but I went to the dentist and they put a temporary filling on my tooth (since there was a cavity there) that contained clove (or some form of clove) as one of its primary ingredients. Of course my problem wasn't so much the cavity in that tooth but was moreso a deeper nerve issue resulting from a really messed up wisdom tooth in the same portion of my mouth. But that filling did help a good amount.
Ouch! That must've really sucked! =( Nerve problems can really kill, especially when its complicated by other things. Know a couple people who were left in excruciating pain when their wisdom teeth started coming in.

Definitely going to look into the cloves. Thank you for the advice.
Looking like seeing a dentist is a must. I'm feeling a little better but can barely chew so... yeah, problem is not going away. Arrrg.

Old
05-22-2013, 09:25 PM
Scott04

Quote:
Ouch! That must've really sucked! =( Nerve problems can really kill, especially when its complicated by other things. Know a couple people who were left in excruciating pain when their wisdom teeth started coming in.

Definitely going to look into the cloves. Thank you for the advice.
Looking like seeing a dentist is a must. I'm feeling a little better but can barely chew so... yeah, problem is not going away. Arrrg.
Yeah, it was bad. Went to see a friend in NYC in the morning to watch some soccer matches then eventually the NFL games on that day/hang out/whatever. He had recently moved from our town to the city, so it was the first time I was visiting him since then. My one wisdom tooth had already grown in long before, but had never been any sort of problem. I accidentally hit one spot of it on the surface early that day. Within an hour of that I started getting increasingly worse pain a few teeth over from that one. As this went on, I had an increasingly worse headache. Tried anbesol (in large quantities), tried a beer or two, tried a couple of tylenol. All within like 2 hours. None did anything. Literally every single part of my head hurt (like full out migraine type pain). Took a train home, which was like hell, popped a couple of aleve, passed out for the next 14 hours because I was weak as hell/exhausted from the pain.

Went to a dentist the next morning and they filled a cavity, which helped a lot, but I would still have some pain in that tooth, albeit it much less than that one day. Had a more permanent filling put in that tooth like a month later. Still mild pain at times after, but even less than after the temp filling. Got the wisdom tooth taken out like a month or two later and haven't had a single ounce of pain in my teeth in the 5-6 months since. Its crazy how much one wisdom tooth can throw off a whole row of your teeth.

Definitely go with the dentist route, but that was probably the best advice I could provide if you need the short term fix until you can get an appointment.

Old
05-22-2013, 10:28 PM
BenedictGomez
1st 2say Fire DeBoer

I had 5 wisdom teeth.

True story.

Old
05-22-2013, 10:53 PM
battlingBard56

Quote:
Yeah, it was bad. Went to see a friend in NYC in the morning to watch some soccer matches then eventually the NFL games on that day/hang out/whatever. He had recently moved from our town to the city, so it was the first time I was visiting him since then. My one wisdom tooth had already grown in long before, but had never been any sort of problem. I accidentally hit one spot of it on the surface early that day. Within an hour of that I started getting increasingly worse pain a few teeth over from that one. As this went on, I had an increasingly worse headache. Tried anbesol (in large quantities), tried a beer or two, tried a couple of tylenol. All within like 2 hours. None did anything. Literally every single part of my head hurt (like full out migraine type pain). Took a train home, which was like hell, popped a couple of aleve, passed out for the next 14 hours because I was weak as hell/exhausted from the pain.

Went to a dentist the next morning and they filled a cavity, which helped a lot, but I would still have some pain in that tooth, albeit it much less than that one day. Had a more permanent filling put in that tooth like a month later. Still mild pain at times after, but even less than after the temp filling. Got the wisdom tooth taken out like a month or two later and haven't had a single ounce of pain in my teeth in the 5-6 months since. Its crazy how much one wisdom tooth can throw off a whole row of your teeth.

Definitely go with the dentist route, but that was probably the best advice I could provide if you need the short term fix until you can get an appointment.
Sounds like it was genuine torture until you could have it completely taken care of. Very glad to hear you're not in any kind of pain anymore. Those wisdom teeth man...

Just tried using ground clove; It definitely worked! Pains not completely gone, but it's definitely numbed somewhat. Thank you very much for mentioning it! =)
Feels very similar to Orajel actually.

Old
05-22-2013, 11:06 PM
Scott04

Quote:
Sounds like it was genuine torture until you could have it completely taken care of. Very glad to hear you're not in any kind of pain anymore. Those wisdom teeth man...

Just tried using ground clove; It definitely worked! Pains not completely gone, but it's definitely numbed somewhat. Thank you very much for mentioning it! =)
Feels very similar to Orajel actually.
Glad to hear it helped. I remember walking into a random duane reade and buying orajel that time because i found an extra strength version of that and couldn't find one of anbesol.... yeah, i used like 4x the recommended amount in one shot and it didn't number anything. Never considered using that stuff again. Although I realize maybe my condition was an exception that time.

Old
05-23-2013, 12:44 AM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

I made a c in a ****ing intro level course... Feels bad man

At least my gpa is still good enough to keep my scholarships

Old
05-23-2013, 12:51 AM
Benedict Parisechuk
Army of Pandolfo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
I made a c in a ****ing intro level course... Feels bad man

At least my gpa is still good enough to keep my scholarships
Lol I've done that on a few occasions. Community college intro classes which is even more embarrassing. Mostly because of a lack of effort/motivation from me or the professor was so awful and assigned 800 different assignments and made the class out to be WAY harder than it should have been. Had a Sociology class last year that was like that. Brutal.

Old
05-23-2013, 02:48 AM
NJDevilsZG
I'll drive team bus

I'm trying my hardest not to die laughing ... or willingly kill myself ...
My home team is about to announce new signing ... Hugh Jessiman ...

Closed Thread