HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Semifinal Pre-Game Talk

View Poll Results: Pick your winning pair
SWE & SUI 27 16.77%
SWE & USA 63 39.13%
FIN & SUI 35 21.74%
FIN & USA 36 22.36%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-17-2013, 09:04 PM
  #101
aphyro
För evigt trogen AIK
 
aphyro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Sundsvall
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by koh19 View Post
I don't see why the Swiss can't win this. 8-0 in the tournament, only undefeated team. Sure the US is a step above the Czechs but still, Swiss have the best goalie pair, very good D and 4 lines that can score.

I predict a Swiss win
Haha if you guys make it to the Final i will cheer for you! even if you play against Sweden

aphyro is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 09:08 PM
  #102
WildFinn*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijk View Post
Well, at least inside Finland there is a lot of variance between the love and/or hate towards Sweden and Swede's in sports. Some people don't like Sweden due to maybe language issues or some sort of inferiority complex. Others like to cheer for Sweden due to it being our loved neighbours and one of the nicest countries a Finn could visit as a tourist, imo.


Personally, I cheer for Sweden in football but in hockey I don't cheer for Sweden since I usually only cheer for the underdogs like Norway, Denmark, Switzerland etc. to beat the "big-7" countries. On top of that I cheer for Finland, duh, and Slovakia. I feel compassion towards Slovakia since they share the same problems Finland has, which is an aging core of veterans/NHL-players who don't always get the chance to play for their country in the WC's.

Oh, and Miroslav Satan. Boy, it was a long time ago when I first giggled due to his name playing NHL97.

But yeah, I would bet the feelings towards Swedes and vice versa are due to some imperialistic heritage. I don't know, but I'm sure British people could explain this stuff better. Although, the population in Finland doesn't hold any grudges towards the times when you rules us That would be quite pathetic.

ps. I will miss the Sweden-Finland game due to my own soccer match. I've been contemplating whether I'd break my ankle by hammering it or something else to let me be able to see the game.

pss. Sweitzerland-Sweden final
It is the language issue mostly behind this, i personally dont blame Sweden for our internal issues.

What is pathetic is that the SFP (Svenska Folk Partie) of Finland spreads propaganda into Sweden how they are being ethnically cleansed in Finland.

When historically they have had clearly racist views and policies towards Finnish speakers, no apologies from them yet.

Swedes dont understand that it is mandatory for Finns to study Swedish in the school, that is more than protecting a minority language.

Sweden has a large Finnish speaking minority but i doubt they will make it mandatory for all to study it for years.

I have to clearly state that i dont want Swedish language to die in Finland.

The services should be organized in the local level like in Sweden with Finnish speakers where the bilingual communities exist.

WildFinn* is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 09:24 PM
  #103
Eidyia
Registered User
 
Eidyia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oulu
Country: Finland
Posts: 657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildFinn View Post

What is pathetic is that the SFP (Svenska Folk Partie) of Finland spreads propaganda into Sweden how they are being ethnically cleansed in Finland.
Really? How exactly are they doing this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildFinn View Post
When historically they have had clearly racist views and policies towards Finnish speakers, no apologies from them yet.
What racist policies exactly? And what comes to minorietis I haven't heard an apology from Finns towards the Sami people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildFinn View Post
Swedes dont understand that it is mandatory for Finns to study Swedish in the school, that is more than protecting a minority language.
I'm pretty sure they understand and they couldn't care less whether we learn the language or not. We speak English anyway. And Swedish is not an endagered language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildFinn View Post
Sweden has a large Finnish speaking minority but i doubt they will make it mandatory for all to study it for years.
That's true, but lately Finnish speaking minority in Sweden have got better rights, for example elementary schools in their own language.

Eidyia is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 09:36 PM
  #104
WildFinn*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Really? How exactly are they doing this?
By feeding their false information to Swedish officials and media.
If you havent observed i can go trough the trouble and find it for you?


Quote:
What racist policies exactly? And what comes to minorietis I haven't heard an apology from Finns towards the Sami people.
http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axel_Ol...ielen_puolesta

I wouldnt mind any apologies for the Sami but im sure Swedes can do that also.


Quote:
I'm pretty sure they understand and they couldn't care less whether we learn the language or not. We speak English anyway. And Swedish is not an endagered language.
I dont think most Swedes know that all Finns study Swedish as mandatory subject.

Swedes could comment on this?

Quote:
That's true, but lately Finnish speaking minority in Sweden have got better rights, for example elementary schools in their own language.
Yes and i am suggesting that Swedish gets the same status in Finland as Finnish has in Sweden.

Fair deal?

WildFinn* is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 09:40 PM
  #105
aphyro
För evigt trogen AIK
 
aphyro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Sundsvall
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildFinn View Post

I dont think most Swedes know that all Finns study Swedish as mandatory subject.

Swedes could comment on this?

Yes moste of the Swedes know that they study Swedish in Finland.

Well you need to study finnish in Sweden if you live in the very north part of Sweden like Kiruna osv.

aphyro is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 09:48 PM
  #106
WildFinn*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphyro View Post
Yes moste of the Swedes know that they study Swedish in Finland.

Well you need to study finnish in Sweden if you live in the very north part of Sweden like Kiruna osv.
Even if they are Swedish speakers? Havent heard about that.

But hardly the whole population like in Finland, you think this is a fair situation?

I can tell that i like Sweden, have Swedish speaking roots partly and my gf is Swedish speaker so if we have children someday they will be bilingual.

This is really hurting the relations that i would like to be closer between the two countries.

WildFinn* is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 10:00 PM
  #107
aphyro
För evigt trogen AIK
 
aphyro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Sundsvall
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildFinn View Post
Even if they are Swedish speakers? Havent heard about that.

But hardly the whole population like in Finland, you think this is a fair situation?

I can tell that i like Sweden, have Swedish speaking roots partly and my gf is Swedish speaker so if we have children someday they will be bilingual.

This is really hurting the relations that i would like to be closer between the two countries.
Well if you want to work on a bank or something you better speak both Swedish/Finnish up there. Well that's what people i know from there told me and nothing i can say for sure.

not even close to the whole population but i don't really care Swedish is the main language of Sweden and it shall stay that way just as i think the main language is Finnish in Finland and shall stay that way.

Tbh i don't really care about that i like Finnish people they are a hardworking and honorable people, and i think most of the Swedish people feel that way also.

aphyro is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 10:00 PM
  #108
Eidyia
Registered User
 
Eidyia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oulu
Country: Finland
Posts: 657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildFinn View Post

Fair deal?
Freudenthal and his counterpart died 100 years ago. The "holy language fight" is over and Topelius may rest in his grave.

Swedish is pretty much the "Nordic lingua franca" so it won't hurt us to learn the language. Eastern counties should learn Russian instead, I agree you with that.

Eidyia is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 10:11 PM
  #109
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Finland
Posts: 5,662
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidyia View Post
Swedish is pretty much the "Nordic lingua franca" so it won't hurt us to learn the language.
Maybe 20 years ago and so forth.

But these days? It's English.

FiLe is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 10:15 PM
  #110
Finnpin
"internet"
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 11,708
vCash: 500
Elva tolva luppakorva. Now sleep. And then I'll go to the local bar. Order some lonkero on the rocks and play Elvis from jukebox. Good night/morning ya'll!

Finnpin is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 10:16 PM
  #111
WildFinn*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidyia View Post
Freudenthal and his counterpart died 100 years ago. The "holy language fight" is over and Topelius may rest in his grave.

Swedish is pretty much the "Nordic lingua franca" so it won't hurt us to learn the language. Eastern counties should learn Russian instead, I agree you with that.
Or maybe German or French like they study in Sweden.
Many people working as public servants or in business would still learn Swedish.

I think this current policy is a large scale mistake that strains relations.

I would actually be ready for a confederation with Sweden instead of this EU experiment but Swedes fear the Russians too much to go for that.

WildFinn* is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 10:20 PM
  #112
WildFinn*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
Elva tolva luppakorva. Now sleep. And then I'll go to the local bar. Order some lonkero on the rocks and play Elvis from jukebox. Good night/morning ya'll!
Hakkaa päälle!

WildFinn* is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 10:40 PM
  #113
aphyro
För evigt trogen AIK
 
aphyro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Sundsvall
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildFinn View Post

I would actually be ready for a confederation with Sweden instead of this EU experiment but Swedes fear the Russians too much to go for that.

Well that's not true if Sweden would fear Russia that much don't you think we would have join NATO already?

aphyro is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 10:47 PM
  #114
WildFinn*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphyro View Post
Well that's not true if Sweden would fear Russia that much don't you think we would have join NATO already?
You are behind our back.
You would have to start the conscription again also, we will never give up that.

Real reason is of course the hockey team that would be in every final in every tournament.

WildFinn* is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 10:49 PM
  #115
svartgul
Hata Löven
 
svartgul's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Beyond the Infinite
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,484
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to svartgul Send a message via MSN to svartgul Send a message via Skype™ to svartgul
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphyro View Post
Well that's not true if Sweden would fear Russia that much don't you think we would have join NATO already?
We pretty much already have. Our current NATO non-alignment is just as much of PR ******** lie as the official line that we were neutral during ww2 and the cold war.

svartgul is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 10:51 PM
  #116
aphyro
För evigt trogen AIK
 
aphyro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Sundsvall
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildFinn View Post
You are behind our back.
You would have to start the conscription again also, we will never give up that.

Real reason is of course the hockey team that would be in every final in every tournament.
Haha yeah for sure Sweden and Finland would make an awesome hockey nation together, but then again the language difference would be a problem

aphyro is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 10:54 PM
  #117
WildFinn*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphyro View Post
Haha yeah for sure Sweden and Finland would make an awesome hockey nation together, but then again the language difference would be a problem
Works for the Swiss, they have good solutions for others to copy.

WildFinn* is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 10:54 PM
  #118
aphyro
För evigt trogen AIK
 
aphyro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Sundsvall
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by svartgul View Post
We pretty much already have. Our current NATO non-alignment is just as much of PR ******** lie as the official line that we were neutral during ww2 and the cold war.
Haha that our government licking the USA's but is nothing to hide behind the table, but still we are not a true member of NATO and our government said i think it was last year or so that it depend on what Finland did

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildFinn View Post
Works for the Swiss, they have good solutions for others to copy.
Haha yeah and it definitely working for the Canadians

aphyro is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 11:00 PM
  #119
Eidyia
Registered User
 
Eidyia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oulu
Country: Finland
Posts: 657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphyro View Post
...and our government said i think it was last year or so that it depend on what Finland did
And our goverment has always been like "we wont make any moves towards the Nato membership unless Sweden does".


Eidyia is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 11:29 PM
  #120
WaltWhitman
Registered User
 
WaltWhitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 942
vCash: 500

WaltWhitman is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 11:34 PM
  #121
WildFinn*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,521
vCash: 500
It wont be boring when the puck drops.

WildFinn* is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 11:48 PM
  #122
aphyro
För evigt trogen AIK
 
aphyro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Sundsvall
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildFinn View Post
It wont be boring when the puck drops.
For sure it will be an awesome match i think it probably will be better then the Swedish vs Canadian match because of the rivalry between this two teams

aphyro is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 11:53 PM
  #123
WildFinn*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphyro View Post
For sure it will be an awesome match i think it probably will be better then the Swedish vs Canadian match because of the rivalry between this two teams
Either the other team dominates totally or it is this prolonged heart attack to the end, nothing in between this time.

Finland is the underdog in paper and they also moved to Stockholm.
I hope some Finns traveled over, this team need the crowd.

WildFinn* is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 11:56 PM
  #124
aphyro
För evigt trogen AIK
 
aphyro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Sundsvall
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildFinn View Post
Either the other team dominates totally or it is this prolonged heart attack to the end, nothing in between this time.

Finland is the underdog in paper and they also moved to Stockholm.
I hope some Finns traveled over, this team need the crowd.
Haha then i hope there will be one team that dominates totally:p cuz i hate when it is heart beating matches

aphyro is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 11:58 PM
  #125
WildFinn*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,521
vCash: 500
If the Finnish coaching staff had the intelligence they would use, Korpikoski-Granlund-Pihlström line, to break the Swedish defense open, but they wont.

WildFinn* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:30 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.