Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Wrestling Amateur, Pro, Mud, Jello, Real, Fake, and in between

The booking of the WWF title.

Old
05-16-2013, 08:28 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

vCash: 500
The booking of the WWF title.

To me the booking of the WWF title has been horrible over the years. Yes we are going to call it the WWF title because the vast majority of examples I am going to use come from the WWF era.

1. 1993 WM 9 Bret hart losses the WWF title to Yokozuna only to have Hogan win it off yoko moments later why? it's fine if you want to put the belt on Hogan but why not have Bret drop the belt to him? instead of Yokozuna hold the belt for all of 3 minutes you CANNOT convince me Bret VS Hogan does not sell more ppv then Bret VS Yokozuna

1994 Bret Hart loses the WWF title to Bob Backlund only to have Kevin Nash win it 2 days later in 8 seconds WHY? again if you want the title on nash that's fine but again why can't Bret drop the belt to him? and if it HAS to be Backlund why does it have to be in 8 seconds?

Here is what that achieved

1. You made your current WWF champion look VERY weak because he got beat in 8 seconds.

2.You make the former champion look VERY weak because he got beat by the guy that Nash beat in 8 seconds

3. you kill ANY credibility Bret has being able to beat Kevin Nash because if he can't beat the guyt that Kevin Nash beat in 8 seconds how in the blue hell are soposed to believe he can beat Kevin Nash?

4. you kill Kevin Nash because he DOES beat Kevin Nash so in the end Kevin Nash can SMASH the guy that Bret Hart lost to but can't beat Bret Hart . I know it's scripted but that makes no sense.

1997 AGAIN Bret Hart is involved but this time he WINS the WWF title only to lose it the next night to Sid WHY? Why not book him to win the previous night if he's going to win the title anyway? surely it wouldn't have been that hard to make it a 5 way and put sid over?

1998 Stone Cold loses the WWF title to Kane only to win it back the next night from Kane WHY? what's the point of taking the title off Austin just to give it back ?

that's it for now but I got more coming

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 09:00 PM
Fresh Prince
Go Red Wings!

The attitude era had a lot of short title reigns (Rock, Mankind, McMahon, etc) that didn't make sense.

Fresh Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 04:33 PM
Shinsuke Nakamura
King of Strong Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
To me the booking of the WWF title has been horrible over the years. Yes we are going to call it the WWF title because the vast majority of examples I am going to use come from the WWF era.

1. 1993 WM 9 Bret hart losses the WWF title to Yokozuna only to have Hogan win it off yoko moments later why? it's fine if you want to put the belt on Hogan but why not have Bret drop the belt to him? instead of Yokozuna hold the belt for all of 3 minutes you CANNOT convince me Bret VS Hogan does not sell more ppv then Bret VS Yokozuna

1994 Bret Hart loses the WWF title to Bob Backlund only to have Kevin Nash win it 2 days later in 8 seconds WHY? again if you want the title on nash that's fine but again why can't Bret drop the belt to him? and if it HAS to be Backlund why does it have to be in 8 seconds?

1. You made your current WWF champion look VERY weak because he got beat in 8 seconds.

2.You make the former champion look VERY weak because he got beat by the guy that Nash beat in 8 seconds

3. you kill ANY credibility Bret has being able to beat Kevin Nash because if he can't beat the guyt that Kevin Nash beat in 8 seconds how in the blue hell are soposed to believe he can beat Kevin Nash?

4. you kill Kevin Nash because he DOES beat Kevin Nash so in the end Kevin Nash can SMASH the guy that Bret Hart lost to but can't beat Bret Hart . I know it's scripted but that makes no sense.

1997 AGAIN Bret Hart is involved but this time he WINS the WWF title only to lose it the next night to Sid WHY? Why not book him to win the previous night if he's going to win the title anyway? surely it wouldn't have been that hard to make it a 5 way and put sid over?

1998 Stone Cold loses the WWF title to Kane only to win it back the next night from Kane WHY? what's the point of taking the title off Austin just to give it back ?

that's it for now but I got more coming
A lot of the booking for those matches made no sense. In the case of Hogan/Yokozuna, it was probably Hogan convincing Vince that people wanted to see him as champion and made Bret and Yoko look weak by winning the title in 22 seconds over a guy who just defeated the former WWF Champion for the belt.

In the case of Austin/Kane, I believe it had everything to do with PPV buys. It was a First Blood match, and if Kane lost, he had to set himself on fire, so people who ordered the show knew they were either gonna see a title change or someone get set on fire. Preposterous to think now, but back in 1998, the idea of a guy setting himself on fire in the WWF wasn't all that far fetched.

Shinsuke Nakamura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 04:40 PM
Megahab

Bret Hart winning the title at the Feb 1997 IYH PPV only to drop it the next night to Sid made no sense. And then somehow Undertaker was just named the #1 contender for WrestleMania out of nowhere. Undertaker vs. Sid was the worst built WM main event ever. There was hardly a storyline between the two and even WWE wasn't sure if Sid was a face or heel.

Megahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 08:29 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Rollins View Post
A lot of the booking for those matches made no sense. In the case of Hogan/Yokozuna, it was probably Hogan convincing Vince that people wanted to see him as champion and made Bret and Yoko look weak by winning the title in 22 seconds over a guy who just defeated the former WWF Champion for the belt.

In the case of Austin/Kane, I believe it had everything to do with PPV buys. It was a First Blood match, and if Kane lost, he had to set himself on fire, so people who ordered the show knew they were either gonna see a title change or someone get set on fire. Preposterous to think now, but back in 1998, the idea of a guy setting himself on fire in the WWF wasn't all that far fetched.
I know i've been watching since I was 2 1989

Old
05-18-2013, 10:09 PM
Vincent Vega
GGTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahab View Post
Bret Hart winning the title at the Feb 1997 IYH PPV only to drop it the next night to Sid made no sense. And then somehow Undertaker was just named the #1 contender for WrestleMania out of nowhere. Undertaker vs. Sid was the worst built WM main event ever. There was hardly a storyline between the two and even WWE wasn't sure if Sid was a face or heel.
Bret won the vacant championship by pinning Undertaker. The next night on Raw, Stone Cold interfered and Sid beat Bret for the belt. Bret was so mad at Austin that he decided he needed to fight him, and the new champion, Sid defended his belt against the new number 1 contender, The Undertaker.

Vincent Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 04:39 PM
Megahab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
Bret won the vacant championship by pinning Undertaker. The next night on Raw, Stone Cold interfered and Sid beat Bret for the belt. Bret was so mad at Austin that he decided he needed to fight him, and the new champion, Sid defended his belt against the new number 1 contender, The Undertaker.
I know that (Hart actually didn't pin Taker for the vacant title. He just clotheslined him out of the ring) but my issue is that Undertaker was named #1 contender out of nowhere before the Hart-Sid match even began. So Taker was named the number 1 contender before Austin interfered in the Hart-Sid match.

Old
05-20-2013, 05:23 PM
The Bored Man
5-14-6-1

First thing I thought of.

The Bored Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 01:50 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
I know that (Hart actually didn't pin Taker for the vacant title. He just clotheslined him out of the ring) but my issue is that Undertaker was named #1 contender out of nowhere before the Hart-Sid match even began. So Taker was named the number 1 contender before Austin interfered in the Hart-Sid match.
That's not exactly what happened.

There was no number 1 contender, but Hart and Sid did have Wrestlemania matches set up and whoever held the title would obviously be defending it.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 01:54 AM
Megahab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
That's not exactly what happened.

There was no number 1 contender, but Hart and Sid did have Wrestlemania matches set up and whoever held the title would obviously be defending it.
I think you are thinking of the Hart vs. Sid title rematch that happened on the last Raw before WrestleMania. Here, Hart vs. Austin was already set for WM and so was Sid vs. Taker, so the Hart vs. Sid rematch would decide which WM match would be a title match.

But what I was referring to in my earlier posts was the Hart vs. Sid match the night after the February IYH PPV. Hart defended the title against Sid and it was announced that Taker would face the winner at Wrestlemania.

Old
05-21-2013, 03:52 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Quote:

You do remember it was Bret Hart who defeated Kevin Nash for the WWF title at the Survivor Series in 1995. So Bret was able defeat him, it just took a while from the time he lost it in 1994 to Bob Backlund.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 04:42 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
You do remember it was Bret Hart who defeated Kevin Nash for the WWF title at the Survivor Series in 1995. So Bret was able defeat him, it just took a while from the time he lost it in 1994 to Bob Backlund.
yep which I touch on in point 4 which you conveniently didn't quote

Old
05-22-2013, 09:50 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
yep which I touch on in point 4 which you conveniently didn't quote
You also conveniently forgot that Backlund never actually beat Hart for the title. Owen convinced their mom to throw in the towel without Bret tapping out or quitting. It was already a questionably title win and its not like they booked Bret to look weak in his loss to backlund. I had no problem with Diesel winning the title so quickly.

Last edited by Fish on The Sand: 05-22-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old
05-22-2013, 09:57 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
I think you are thinking of the Hart vs. Sid title rematch that happened on the last Raw before WrestleMania. Here, Hart vs. Austin was already set for WM and so was Sid vs. Taker, so the Hart vs. Sid rematch would decide which WM match would be a title match.

But what I was referring to in my earlier posts was the Hart vs. Sid match the night after the February IYH PPV. Hart defended the title against Sid and it was announced that Taker would face the winner at Wrestlemania.
Wasn't Sid already the number 1 contender by virtue of having a rematch clause for having just lost the title?

Old
05-22-2013, 03:40 PM
Megahab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Wasn't Sid already the number 1 contender by virtue of having a rematch clause for having just lost the title?
Yes. Here's what went down as far as I remember:

HBK beat Sid for the title at the Royal Rumble.

In the Royal Rumble match, Hart threw Austin out but the referees didn't see it. Austin came back in the ring and eliminated Hart, Vader, and Undertaker. To make up for this, a 4-man battle royal is made for the February In Your House PPV (subtitled "Final Four"), where the winner would be declared the #1 contender and get a title shot at WrestleMania.

Sid was booked to get his title shot rematch against HBK on a special Thursday night edition of Raw, just 3 days before the IYH PPV. The winner of this HBK vs. Sid match would face the winner of the 4-man battle royal for the title at Wrestlemania.

It is widely believed that the plan at this point was for HBK to beat Sid and for Hart to win the 4-man match, leading to HBK vs. Hart at Wrestlemania.

But on the Thursday Raw, HBK cut the famous "lost my smile" promo and vacated the title. So it was declared that the 4-man match at IYH would be for the vacant title and the winner of that would face Sid for the title the next night on Raw. At this point, nothing was announced as to how the #1 contender for WrestleMania would be determined.

Hart won the 4-man match to become the new champion. So it was going to be Hart vs. Sid the next night on Raw. Sometime during the show, Undertaker was announced as the #1 contender for WrestleMania for some reason. Sid beat Hart for the title, so it was Sid vs. Taker at WM. Hart vs. Austin was also booked.

Hart got a rematch vs. Sid for the title in a cage match on the Raw before WM. This was a fun match because Austin was trying to help his WM opponent Hart win and Undertaker was trying to help his WM opponent Sid win.